• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saturday Night Live 40th Anniversary Special |OT| (Bill Murray, Eddie Murphy, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill Simmons did a podcast with James Miller, the author of Live From New York, who was actually at the show and the after party and he echoed the sentiment that Eddie's appearance was the biggest disappointment. Simmons' brought up the idea that maybe Murphy is just not confident in that role anymore or with that type of comedy but Miller's idea was that Eddie just feels like he's above all of that. Like the SNL stuff was so long ago that he just has no interest in revisiting it or doing skits or characters anymore.

Jag

Bill Simmons did a podcast with James Miller, the author of Live From New York, who was actually at the show and the after party and he echoed the sentiment that Eddie's appearance was the biggest disappointment. Simmons' brought up the idea that maybe Murphy is just not confident in that role anymore or with that type of comedy but Miller's idea was that Eddie just feels like he's above all of that. Like the SNL stuff was so long ago that he just has no interest in revisiting it or doing skits or characters anymore.

Didn't he say something like he felt like he was back in HS or something. He was very young on SNL and didn't become the breakout star until he left. I'm not surprised he didn't feel a connection to the show. I blame both the show and Murphy for his lame appearance. Better if they just used him to introduce an act like Keith Richards introducing Macca. Which was really cool.

BFIB

Really enjoyed the special. Lost it during the "in memoriam" and they showed Jon Lovitz.

He's so underrated.

Cheebo

Banned
Didn't he say something like he felt like he was back in HS or something. He was very young on SNL and didn't become the breakout star until he left.

That isn't true, he became a breakout star while on the show. He was so huge he even hosted it while a cast member. Raw, 48 Hours, and Trading Places all happened while he was still a cast member.

Jag

That isn't true, he became a breakout star while on the show. He was so huge he even hosted it while a cast member. Raw, 48 Hours, and Trading Places all happened while he was still a cast member.

I guess they did. I didn't remember that. It was a long time ago!

Norm's talking about some behind the scenes stuff on Twitter (@normmacdonald), it's great.

He wanted Eddie Murphy to play Bill Cosby on Celebrity Jeopardy. Brett Ratner was the middle man between the two of them and he couldn't convince Eddie to do it.

Vyer

Norm's talking about some behind the scenes stuff on Twitter (@normmacdonald), it's great.

He wanted Eddie Murphy to play Bill Cosby on Celebrity Jeopardy. Brett Ratner was the middle man between the two of them and he couldn't convince Eddie to do it.

Just read that series of tweets. Good stuff. Would have been interesting to see.

Also like what McDonald considers Celebrity Jeopardy to be 'about.'

Blader

Just watched it myself, pretty fun special. Eddie looked visibly uncomfortable so not surprising he didn't want to do anything. Loved Wayne's World, Celebrity Jeopardy (especially Norm and Connery), the Sandler/Samberg short, and Jerry and Larry's back-and-forths.

lol, Norm is the best thing to happen to Twitter.

That Celebrity Jeopardy breakdown is great. I didn't know that he took it from SCTV.

Also nice to see him talk about the Rolling Stone list as well. He took the high road for sure.

But that doesn't make the list any less Ridiculous, completely ridiculous!

Norm has history will Cosby as well, which made a great story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG2_fd-sgJM

Aesius

Norm is supposedly writing an autobiography. And if his Twitter ramblings are any indication, it will be incredible.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Jim Breuer explains how David Spade and Eddie Murphy settled their beef over the "Fallen Star" joke in the 1990s when Vampire in Brooklyn came out. Jimmy Fallon is the first voice, Breuer finishes the story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km_pDZpttRw

Honestly, Eddie Murphy needed to tone his ego down. Comedy is a fair game.

Jim Breuer explains how David Spade and Eddie Murphy settled their beef over the "Fallen Star" joke in the 1990s when Vampire in Brooklyn came out. Jimmy Fallon is the first voice, Breuer finishes the story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km_pDZpttRw

Honestly, Eddie Murphy needed to tone his ego down. Comedy is a fair game.

This story reminds me that there hasn't been a "dangerous" comic on SNL in a long ass time. Someone with a meaner streak like Spade and Norm.

Sanjuro

Why is it weird? It turned out Cosby raped a large amount of women. I don't see why he'd still be loyal to him after that.

I never suggested that he would remain loyal.

They both were close in their Cosby-lore during the filming of that picture. It just feels odd in the grand scheme of things. I appreciated it more than if Murphy did it.

It's interesting to read how they thought that, had Eddie done it, the Cosby bit would have brought the house down. But with Keenan, you can barely hear anyone laugh. I wonder if it's because they [the audience] didn't think it's funny, or because they didn't immediately get the joke, or if they [the writers] thought it would kill specifically because it was Eddie doing it.

Also, the description of the gag is very different from what happened, "Cosby" was supposed to come out and not say anything until he started mixing the drink but when they actually did it he's making noises from the very start. Didn't give it time to sink in.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
NBC is replaying this tomorrow (Friday) night in case you missed it the first time or want to watch again.

Also, the description of the gag is very different from what happened, "Cosby" was supposed to come out and not say anything until he started mixing the drink but when they actually did it he's making noises from the very start. Didn't give it time to sink in.
That's as good an example as any of why current SNL doesn't work. They don't understand how to construct a joke.

I still find it weird that Keenan did the impersonation. Cosby basically was grooming him during the Fat Albert film.

Also for years on All That in the 90s. I remember this one skit where he played "The Wizard of Coz."

Here is a set pic of it, 20 years ago. Keenan in the middle in a Coz sweater.

all_that_wizard_of_coz.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom