• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saturday Night Live 40th Anniversary Special |OT| (Bill Murray, Eddie Murphy, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebo

Banned
BS.

Arsenio Hall and many others have said specifically how funny Murphy still is today. I just think he hates the media and attention because of his numerous scandals.
Nothing is stopping him from doing funny movies if he is still funny. Which he hasn't done a single one since 1999s Bowfinger.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Part way through the special I realized how much I look back on the previous cast members favorably even though in their time I hated the show.

I think its easy for me to look back with nostalgia because the cast keeps getting shittier and shittier.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Nothing is stopping him from doing funny movies if he is still funny. Which he hasn't done a single one since 1999s Bowfinger.

The point is he doesn't give a shit about the fame anymore. He hates the Hollywood media.

Bread

Banned
Eddie's best film is Nutty Professor. I haven't laughed so hard in my life during those dinner table scenes. Still do to this day.
X5dUdKQ.gif

Great show. Celebrity Jeopardy and Bill Murray's Jaws Love Theme were amazing.

Man, I still get choked up when I see Phil Hartman clips and they got to me again, particularly during the In Memoriam. I don't know why his passing gets to me but it does.

Blader

Great show. Celebrity Jeopardy and Bill Murray's Jaws Love Theme were amazing.

Man, I still get choked up when I see Phil Hartman clips and they got to me again, particularly during the In Memoriam. I don't know why his passing gets to me but it does.

Same, but I also feel that the way about seeing Chris Farley clips too.

Cheebo

Banned
I always found it fascinating how so many have so much nostgia for the Sandler/Farley era when it is still the most critically panned era of the show. Farley and Sandler were actually fired by Lorne Michaels.

There are plenty of fart jokes in his stand up as well!

Guy used to shit in the bathtub with his brother.
They weren't just Murphy in fat suits sitting around farting. Far cry from that.

In his standup the story about it was the funny part. In Nutty Professor the fart noise was meant to be the humor. One took effort the other was just nonsense cheap gags.

I always found it fascinating how so many have so much nostgia for the Sandler/Farley era when it is still the most critically panned era of the show. Farley and Sandler were actually fired by Lorne Michaels.

Because it's easy to look back on the highlights than it is to remember all the bad? I ultimately think it's due to a lot of people ages at the time and how those comedians particular comedy worked for them. It's pretty typical of a lot of comedy generations (think the Frat Pack era of movies with Ferrel, Vaugh, Wilson and Stiller). I love Billy Madison and Tommy Boy, but I would not be surprised if 16 year old kids now thought they movies were dumb.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

They weren't just Murphy in fat suits sitting around farting. Far cry from that.

In his standup the story about it was the funny part. In Nutty Professor the fart noise was meant to be the humor. One took effort the other was just nonsense cheap gags.

To be fair, the subject material is the same. It's all cheap gags.

Cheebo

Banned

Sanjuro

Sure, they were different. The Nutty Professor is looked back at with some revised history though. I'm not saying it's his best comedy, but at the time it was something different. He just ran it into the ground a couple more times, along with Martin Lawrence aping off it.

Cheebo

Banned
Sure, they were different. The Nutty Professor is looked back at with some revised history though. I'm not saying it's his best comedy, but at the time it was something different. He just ran it into the ground a couple more times, along with Martin Lawrence aping off it.
it is fair to say nutty professor faired far less highly critically than say 48 hours or beverly hills cop

Sanjuro

it is fair to say nutty professor faired far less highly critically than say 48 hours or beverly hills cop

Good thing I'm not comparing them directly!

If we are talking about popular, well received Eddie Murphy movies in general then it's absolutely in that category.

Future

I know it's hard to not see through nostalgia lens, but I do think SNL right now is the least memorable. The best moments this season is bringing back old alums to do their old bits. I can't even think of a good recurring bit now. Especially with an original character, like a steffon, church lady, etc.

They got some decent impressions going on now like Bieber and Obama, but that's all I can even remember. Weekend update moments are at an all time low and digital short quality dipped when samberg left. More viral bits are coming from the tonight show these days

Sanjuro

I know it's hard to not see through nostalgia lens, but I do think SNL right now is the least memorable. The best moments this season is bringing back old alums to do their old bits. I can't even think of a good recurring bit now. Especially with an original character, like a steffon, church lady, etc.

They got some decent impressions going on now like Bieber and Obama, but that's all I can even remember. Weekend update moments are at an all time low and digital short quality dipped when samberg left. More viral bits are coming from the tonight show these days

SNL is in a transitional period right now. It's going to take some time or new cast members to really solidify anything.

Now, I'm not a big connoisseur of all things Eddie Murphy, but I've never found him particularly funny in anything, ever. Reportedly he saved SNL, so good for him, but he seems like a jerk (just like Chevy Chase, for that matter).

Sanjuro

Now, I'm not a big connoisseur of all things Eddie Murphy, but I've never found him particularly funny in anything, ever. Reportedly he saved SNL, so good for him, but he seems like a jerk (just like Chevy Chase, for that matter).

He has possibly the most notable stand up performances ever created.

Was possibly the best SNL cast member, as he basically was a solo act on the program for most of his tenure.

Did some highly successful great to good films, really mixed bag in the last 15 years.

Chevy is Clark Criswold.

Update Anchors are worst evs, no doubt, but we're living in a golden age of WU characs with Jebediah Atkinson and literally every single thing Kate McKinnon does on it.

Sanjuro

Update Anchors are worst evs, no doubt, but we're living in a golden age of WU characs with Jebediah Atkinson and literally every single thing Kate McKinnon does on it.

Cecily Strong is still fantastic, although probably going through some turmoil behind the scenes. The anchors are starting to gel a bit, mainly Jost. I think Che with his rhythm down is more of a Norm MacDonald type in terms of delivery.

Raw (Stand up)
Coming to America
Boomerang
Trading Places
Beverly Hills Cop

You should start there

It surprises me that with Jebediah Atkinson landing so well that they don't have Taran Killam doing more characters along those lines. That's wher he looked to be heading during his first couple of years, now after the big departures of '12/'13 they seemed to be trying to mold him into a mini-Sudeikis, when I think he should be more of a male-McKinnon.

It surprises me that with Jebediah Atkinson landing so well that they don't have Taran Killam doing more characters along those lines. That's wher he looked to be heading during his first couple of years, now after the big departures of '12/'13 they seemed to be trying to mold him into a mini-Sudeikis, when I think he should be more of a male-McKinnon.

You just identified the exact issues they're going through right now. It's clear the writers don't know how to use certain cast members. A great of example of this was during the Jim Carrey hosted episode. McKinnon would have been perfect to team up against Carrey but they really only did in the Sia spoof. But that one spoof was pure magic between the two of them.

Pakkidis

I thought the overall show was pretty weak. I would love to see Eddie return to form. I think you can tell he is kinda tired of the whole thing.

The funniest skit was waynes world. Looks like they still got it.

Fatalah

Cecily Strong is still fantastic, although probably going through some turmoil behind the scenes. The anchors are starting to gel a bit, mainly Jost. I think Che with his rhythm down is more of a Norm MacDonald type in terms of delivery.

I hope Che is let go at the end of this season. He's screws up reading punchlines every single time.

They're way too Bro'd out together.

It's like a WU Frat Party. Seeing Amy/Tina/Jane was like "Oh, okay, WU can be fun and smart and great. I'd forgotten."

kirblar

Right now they've got about half to 2/3rds of a good cast desperately trying to carry the dead weight - and that deadweight includes the head writer.

valeo

I thought the Nutty Professor was trash when it came out and still do, to be honest.

the fat suit shit in nutty professor was lame but when he takes the formula i think he's hilarious tbh. that scene in the club with dave chappelle was pretty funny.

Just watched. Not everything worked but I thought there were a lot of great moments. I'm not even that much of a fan of Jerry Seinfeld as a comedian but he was perfect during the audience Q&A. That may have been my favorite segment.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
My favourite part was the exchange between Larry David and Seinfeld

Shoulda done more with Eddie Murphy too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom