• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saturday Night Live 40th Anniversary Special |OT| (Bill Murray, Eddie Murphy, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

Again, the "water cooler" factor of the show has rapidly diminished over the past 10 years, let alone since when it began. It's not even close to being as socially relevant as it used to.

There will always be a place for this show. That doesn't make it 'relevant' like it used to be.

Sounds like you're talking more about the state of television programing and less about SNL specifically.

Again, the "water cooler" factor of the show has rapidly diminished over the past 10 years, let alone since when it began. It's not even close to being as socially relevant as it used to.

There will always be a place for this show. That doesn't make it 'relevant' like it used to be.

Tina Fey / Sarah Palin was in 2008. Still a while ago, but that was probably one of the heights of the show, water-cooler wise

The show has only ever been a "water cooler show" in election years and possibly in its first few years. (I was barely a fetus at the time.) The magical skits and characters and whatever you remember from the "golden era" of your choice are always condensed in your mind over years of unremarkable to bad episodes. It's like a half hour of gold per five years, and I say this as a fan of the show and its history for the last 25 years or so.

DopeToast

Banned
The Jeopardy skit was the best goddamn thing in it. The rest was ok to really bad like the goddamn Californians skit. I don't get it and it was really grating to hear that kind of accent. Sucks that was the one they picked for Bradly cooper considering he can be really funny.

In this pic the chick on the far right is the only one that makes me laugh at all. None of the rest have any talent that I have seen. They are shades of annoying to all together bad being the mccarthy chick. Blegh.

Kristen Wiig isn't talented? If you don't find her funny that's one thing, but she is very talented.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Tina Fey / Sarah Palin was in 2008. Still a while ago, but that was probably one of the heights of the show, water-cooler wise

Yep.

7 years ago.

The Jon Lovitz stuff was hilarious last night.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
This is kind of how i've always felt. In 5-10 years people will be nostalgic over the days of Samberg, Wiig, Hader, Sudekis, ect...
People will always say "SNL isn't as good as it used to be", just like people say, for example, the Super Bowl commercials suck every year. It's just one of those cultural things.

Choomp

Banned
Norm Macdonald's Burt Reynolds was the highlight for me.

Who is Andre the Giant?

That was probably the best part, yeah. The Jeopardy segment was funny all around. Connery was still funny, Carrey's McCogaunhey good too.

I miss Chris Farley, I liked his bits. Matt Foley was funny as heck.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
The only bad part of Jeopardy was the Christoph Waltz impersonation. Don't get me wrong, the guy sounded like him, but there was really no purpose to it other than showing off that impersonation.

I feel like that happens a lot on SNL nowadays, mostly with Jay Pharoah who is always brought on just to do impersonations with seemingly no punchline.

otapnam

I think some of it has to do with he has been gone so long from 8H, Lorne and the writers probably didn't feel comfortable just throwing something at him. They just wanted him back.

I was reading wiki afterwards and forgot how he was supposed to host the Oscars 2-3 years ago but the brett radner scandal derailed the whole thing. Would love to see Eddie in some smaller appearances doing his thing. He's rumored to be presenting an award This year

SURGEdude

That Californians sketch was just brutal. I get the joke and all but it was only funny like the first time that sketch ran. Is there a huge fanbase that wanted it to be a running thing for so long?

otapnam

That Californians sketch was just brutal. I get the joke and all but it was only funny like the first time that sketch ran. Is there a huge fanbase that wanted it to be a running thing for so long?

I think Taylor swift did a horrible job. The sketch is pretty funny but her accent/acting was bad. Shoehorning betty white was kinda lame too

Sanjuro

I appreciated the ensemble and the guests, I just don't really get the sketch much outside that.

Eddie was my only real sour on the night. Although, I expected it.

DOWN

Banned
Recalling the comments about Chevy letting himself go, being rebutted with his age of 71, this cover just makes me wonder what the middle ground is:

God damn right, pal.
0E4ODsd.png

Pretty impressive for a 69 year old. Strength training is the fountain of youth.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Lorne's favorite. He ran it into the ground the first season it was on.

Zimmy64

In terms of eras I still say the classic 75-80 era can't be beat. Followed closely by the 1 season with Christopher guest, Martin short, and Billy Crystal in 84/85.

I've always thought that season sucked, but maybe because that's because I've always lumped it with the 85-56 season that succeeded it. Is it really good.

For me at least the Best SNL era was probably the early nineties where you had Sandler, Farley, Spade, etc but Carvey, Hartman, and Myers hadn't left yet (1988-1993).

Future

Holy shit I actually thought Betty white was dead. That moment had me thinkin cg, cuts from previous episodes, fuckin ressurection, all for a few moments of pure insanity.

Just finished the episode on Hulu. I thought it was excellent. A 'greatest hits / tribute' is exactly what that show deserves. There is just so much history behind it, and it was really well captured. It's hard to condense 40 years into three hours, so you end up with one liner references, but still: well done.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Last night's SNL40 made it very clear how great the show was up until ~2004 and how terrible it's been ever since. It became glaringly obvious during the musical sketch, for example. Every time something newer was remotely compared or placed up against something older, it was just so not funny.

I think a lot of it has to do with the actors just being awful. Ed Norton made a funnier Stefon than Bill Hader.

Groaned so hard at Eddie Murphy not doing anything. Even Jack Nicholson was funnier.

Martin Short was just brilliant, as was Maya Rudolph.

Other highlights:

- jeopardy sketch, even with the many mistakes
- Seinfeld / Larry bit
- Jane Curtin just makes me smile

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Groaned so hard at Eddie Murphy not doing anything. Even Jack Nicholson was funnier.

Martin Short was just brilliant, as was Maya Rudolph.

Other highlights:

- jeopardy sketch, even with the many mistakes
- Seinfeld / Larry bit
- Jane Curtin just makes me smile

Did you ever see the Eddie Murphy Tribute on Comedy Central 2 years ago? He did the same shit. Lauded and lauded to the high moons. At the very end he takes the mic says "thank you for coming" and puts the mic back. End show.

He's an asshole.

Jerry and Larry were gold. They have some kind of telekinetic comedic relationship. It's freaky. They don't need a script, they can just improvise. It's why LD is still the best guest on Jerry's Comedians in Cars.

Artofwar420

Norm McDonald, Martin Short, and Miley's performances were awesome.

Martin is just so "on" it's electric, Norm was being Norm not giving a crap, and Miley sounded nice. Pleasant show overall.

chris121580

Norm McDonald, Martin Short, and Miley's performances were awesome.

Martin is just so "on" it's electric, Norm was being Norm not giving a crap, and Miley sounded nice. Pleasant show overall.
Totally agree and I can't believe Martin Short has only hosted the show once. Need to right that wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom