• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saturday Night Live 40th Anniversary Special |OT| (Bill Murray, Eddie Murphy, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He walked from side-to-side, keeping the clapping going for a while (couldn't tell if it was a faux-ego joke, or maybe "clap for SNL history"). He said a few generic things about SNL and then had a brief exchange with the cue card guys like "were you gonna -- I um -- anyway" and then they went to commercial.

I wondered if the cue card guy just totally failed to have his cards ready?

Edit: also, Robert de Niro, for pete's sake, read your lines at least once before heading out on stage.

I didn't get to see a lot of the show (hoping to watch it online/on demand later) but I did see Chris Rock's intro and the Eddie Murphy part.

Eddie's appearance was very awkward but it did have some funny, "spontaneous" moments. If I heard correctly, as he was walking side-to-side, leading the audience in applause, he mentioned to Rock "keep it going for Eddie, keep it going for Eddie" - a funny little self-aware aside.

I also got a good laugh with the missed transition to commercial - not sure if others heard, but he started going through his closing lines again (saluting SNL cast members, etc.) It was just mild Eddie being Eddie kinda humor but I loved it.

Of course, wish there would've been more to it and as one poster said, he did treat it like he was receiving a lifetime award. That was strange. But as Rock said, there is only one Eddie Murphy and it was neat to see him on the stage again.

Sanjuro

I didn't get to see a lot of the show (hoping to watch it online/on demand later) but I did see Chris Rock's intro and the Eddie Murphy part.

Eddie's appearance was very awkward but it did have some funny, "spontaneous" moments. If I heard correctly, as he was walking side-to-side, leading the audience in applause, he mentioned to Rock "keep it going for Eddie, keep it going for Eddie" - a funny little self-aware aside.

I also got a good laugh with the missed transition to commercial - not sure if others heard, but he started going through his closing lines again (saluting SNL cast members, etc.) It was just mild Eddie being Eddie kinda humor but I loved it.

Of course, wish there would've been more to it and as one poster said, he did treat it like he was receiving a lifetime award. That was strange. But as Rock said, there is only one Eddie Murphy and it was neat to see him on the stage again.

I think some of it has to do with he has been gone so long from 8H, Lorne and the writers probably didn't feel comfortable just throwing something at him. They just wanted him back.

Jag

Love the Weekend Update, wish they did the entire Rosanne Rosannadanna skit though.

OG0s3Fo.jpg

NimbusD

At the time I thought the commercial flub was him calling back to Chris Rock's story of Eddie having to fill in a gap on a shot that was running short. Now that I think back on it, it was probably just a coincidence? There were a looot of technical errors last night. And who can blame them? We were basically watching a party for SNL people they were probably all drunk.

Norm MacDonald at 135 out of 141?!
I know lists and opinions and all ... but I guess there always has to be the one ranking that is truly baffling. And the Norm non-love is it!

I'm a fan of his but I would think even non-fans would appreciate his Dole and Burton Leon Reynolds' bits. I do think his Weekend Updates were very divisive, but c'mon! Pretty good ranking to read through, though.

Akahige

I started it now, Fallon you already have your own damn show to do this on, why give him the opening? He does this five nights a week.

Sanjuro

I started it now, Fallon you already have your own damn show to do this on, why give him the opening? He does this five nights a week.

Because he is the most notable SNL alum on NBC?

Also probably due to the fact that he does do it five days a week.

Maddocks

That The Californians skit went from funny to terrible. They nailed the valley girl accent, then all of a sudden it became a Toki from Metalocalypse impression. Went on far to long, should have been cut down and actually give Eddie more time instead of,"Thanks, okay, bye"

SNL is not relevant anymore.

Saturday Night Dead.

Andy and Adam's Breaks song was one of the best bits in SNL history. Genius and perfect for the occasion.

So glad they put Garth and Kat in the music medley (which was definitely the live highlight of the night. Maya Uber Alles.)

Overall it was overlong, but it had so many fantastic bits.

thefro

Massive hit. 23 million viewers for SNL is crazy good.

It's crazy good for anything on network TV these days

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...ampaign=Feed:+Tvbythenumbers+(TVbytheNumbers)

“Saturday Night Live 40th Anniversary Special” (7.8/21 in 18-49, 23.1 million viewers overall from 8-11 p.m. ET):
In 18-49, this is:
Currently NBC’s top-rated primetime entertainment telecast, excluding post-Super Bowl programs, in more than eight years, since May 18, 2006 (8.4 with the “Will & Grace” finale), pending updates.
NBC’s top-rated primetime entertainment SPECIAL in 10 years, since Thursday, May 6,2004 (16.7 from 8-9 p.m. ET for a “Friends” clips show the night of the series finale).
The top-rated “SNL” primetime special in 14 years, since Thursday Feb. 8, 2001 (9.3 from 8:37-9 p.m. ET, following a super-sized “Friends”).
This is NBC’s top-rated Sunday with entertainment programming (6.6 in 18-49, 20.1 million viewers from 7-11 p.m. ET) in 11 years, since Jan. 25, 2004 (8.5 in 18-49, 23.4 million from 7-11 p.m. on the night of the Golden Globes).

In total viewers, this is:

Currently NBC’s most-watched primetime entertainment telecast, excluding post-Super Bowl programs, in more than 10 years, since May 13, 2004 (23.9 million with “ER” the night of the “Frasier” finale), pending updates.
NBC’s most-watched primetime entertainment SPECIAL in 10 years, since Thursday, Feb. 6,2004 (36.9 million from 8-9 p.m. ET for a “Friends” clips show the night of the series finale).
Pending updates, currently the most-watched “SNL” primetime special in 22 years, since Sunday Nov. 1, 1992 (28.8 million from 9-11 p.m. ET for “SNL Presidential Bash”).
Excluding the night of the Super Bowl and major award shows, currently the top-rated primetime entertainment telecast on any Big 4 net in three years, since Jan. 22, 2012 (“American Idol,” 7.9), pending updates.
Pending updates, currently the most-watched “SNL” primetime special in 22 years, since Sunday Nov. 1, 1992 (28.8 million from 9-11 p.m. ET for “SNL Presidential Bash”).
Excluding the night of the Super Bowl and major award shows, currently the most-watched primetime entertainment telecast on any Big 4 net in more than three years, since Sept. 19, 2011 (Ashton Kutcher joins “Two and a Half Men,” 28.7 million) , pending updates.

The NBC Special “SNL 40th Red Carpet Live” (3.0/10 in 18-49, 11.1 million viewers overall from 7-8 p.m. ET):

Won the time period among the Big 4 networks in all key ratings measures, dominating in all key demographics.
Jumped by +40% from its first half-hour to its second in adults 18-49 (2.5 to 3.5) and by 1.8 million viewers overall (10.2 million to 12.0 million.
More than tripled NBC’s average in the time period last season with non-sports programming in 18-49 (3.0 vs. 0.8) and total viewers (11.134 million vs. 3.582 million).

For the night:

This is NBC’s top-rated Sunday with entertainment programming (6.6 in 18-49, 20.1 million viewers from 7-11 p.m. ET) in 11 years, since Jan. 25, 2004 (8.5 in 18-49, 23.4 million from 7-11 p.m. on the night of the Golden Globes).
In adults 18-49, NBC (6.6) nearly doubled the combined nightlong 3.4 average of ABC (1.1), CBS (1.5) and Fox (0.8).
In total viewers, NBC led by a margin of +163% among the Big 4 (20.1 million vs. 7.7 million for #2 CBS).

NOTE: The current fast-national rating is measured from 8-11 p.m. while in official nationals the show will be measured into the following half-hour and the official-national rating will be adjusted accordingly.
NOTE: In the 56 markets metered by Nielsen Media Research, “Saturday Night Live 40th Anniversary Special” averaged a 14.2 household rating versus a 5.5 for the TNT / TBS coverage of the NBA All-Star Game.

Akahige

Billy Crystal looks good these days, his face rested from the plastic surgery work.
Because he is the most notable SNL alum on NBC?

Also probably due to the fact that he does do it five days a week.
It just wasn't funny is the main problem but I guess im expecting too much.

Billy Crystal looks good these days, his face rested from the plastic surgery work.
It just wasn't funny is the main problem but I guess im expecting too much.

Alan Sepinwall pointed out they did a 15 and 25 year show. So it becomes hard to do these shows and have them continue to feel exciting. I doubt we'll see another one as by the time they hit 50 most of them will have moved on.

My only major complaint was the tributes to the deceased felt really short.

Cheebo

Banned
Alan Sepinwall pointed out they did a 15 and 25 year show. So it becomes hard to do these shows and have them continue to feel exciting. I doubt we'll see another one as by the time they hit 50 most of them will have moved on.

My only major complaint was the tributes to the deceased felt really short.
Moved on? As in dead? They aren't THAT old.

All of the oldest cast members, outside of Chevy are in their mid-60's. Chevy is the only one over 70. They will very much do a 50th. There is no reason to assume Bill Murray or Dan Aykroyd will be gone. They will be in their mid-70's. After that group the next oldest are in their early to mid-50's.

The only one who is likely to not be around for the 50th is Chevy, and even then he'd be 81. It's not out of the question he'll still be alive.

Also look at how massive the ratings are, I wouldn't be surprised if NBC insists on a 45th anniversary special in 5 years. It was their biggest non-super bowl broadcast in a decade.

All of the oldest cast members, outside of Chevy are in their mid-60's. Chevy is the only one over 70. They will very much do a 50th. There is no reason to assume Bill Murray or Dan Aykroyd will be gone. They will be in their mid-70's. After that group the next oldest are in their early to mid-50's.

The only one who is likely to not be around for the 50th is Chevy, and even then he'd be 81. It's not out of the question he'll still be alive.

Also look at how massive the ratings are, I wouldn't be surprised if NBC insists on a 45th anniversary special in 5 years. It was their biggest non-super bowl broadcast in a decade.

Think about what it was like watching Aykroyd do bass-o-matic now and imagine him doing it in another ten years.

Having all those people on stage again in a shape in which they can't even be what made them so special would just be a massive disappointment.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

SNL over the past 40 years is relevant. The current show on Saturday night has nowhere near the relevance it held in almost any previous generation.

That doesn't mean it's "dead," but let's not pretend that today's show is nothing more than a hit-or-miss comedy show. It used to be water cooler stuff every week.

Blader

Being alive doesn't mean they'd be physically able -- or willing -- to participate either.

Not to downplay those numbers at all, but I don't know how an anniversary special, where the whole point is to celebrate the actors and sketches from years and years ago, is supposed to be some reflection on SNL's current relevance.

Cheebo

Banned
Think about what it was like watching Aykroyd do bass-o-matic now and imagine him doing it in another ten years.

Having all those people on stage again in a shape in which they can't even be what made them so special would just be a massive disappointment.

They can do just like they did with Chevy. Just a quick hello on stage. And focus on nostalgia for the 80's/90's SNL. I don't see why they would refuse to celebrate the 50th anniversary because the original cast is in their 70's.

Being alive doesn't mean they'd be physically able -- or willing -- to participate either.

Not to downplay those numbers at all, but I don't know how an anniversary special, where the whole point is to celebrate the actors and sketches from years and years ago, is supposed to be some reflection on SNL's current relevance.

To be fair, SNL has been dead for like 35 years. The Farley, Sandler, Spade et. al. cast was actually considered bad by most at the time.

To be fair, SNL has been dead for like 35 years. The Farley, Sandler, Spade et. al. cast was actually considered bad by most at the time.

There was a piece in the New Yorker about how long SNL's been dead. I think one of the benefits of looking back is you forget all the bad skits and only remember the good ones. You don't really have that luxury with the current season so the bad sticks out.

kingocfs

SNL over the past 40 years is relevant. The current show on Saturday night has nowhere near the relevance it held in almost any previous generation.

That doesn't mean it's "dead," but let's not pretend that today's show is nothing more than a hit-or-miss comedy show. It used to be water cooler stuff every week.

Its always been a "hit or miss comedy show," though. That's sketch comedy. It's popularity has always ebbed and flowed, too. That's the effect of being on air for 40 years.

But the fact of the matter is today's biggest movie stars still host the show to promote their movies. Today's biggest music stars use the show to promote their new albums. Cast members still use it to launch careers. They get millions of hits on YouTube. Idk how much more relevant you could ask a show to be that airs late Saturday night in 2015, especially when they have huge cast turnovers and star comedians no one has ever heard of.

If you haven't you really should read "Live From New York: The Complete, Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live". It ends in the early to mid 00s, but there is so many great stories about the original cast and the 80s cast.

liquidtmd

Banned

23 Mil is a great achievement, but take away the SNL name a minute and say you're running a show for four hours with the now mostly 'Stars in the own right' list that they heavily advertised.

It's hard to say where the SNL name ends and the draw of them alone begins. SNL gave many of them the platform to go onto bigger things but the numbers alone don't justify the 'See it's still relevant' argument.

ElTopo

Banned
Needed more actual sketches but the Jeopardy and Waynes World sketches were all right. I know Chevy is in his 70's but man it looked like he wasn't holding up too well.

Ecto311

The Jeopardy skit was the best goddamn thing in it. The rest was ok to really bad like the goddamn Californians skit. I don't get it and it was really grating to hear that kind of accent. Sucks that was the one they picked for Bradly cooper considering he can be really funny.

It's possible!

Also, Ghostbusters!

FgYNqTL.jpg

In this pic the chick on the far right is the only one that makes me laugh at all. None of the rest have any talent that I have seen. They are shades of annoying to all together bad being the mccarthy chick. Blegh.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Its always been a "hit or miss comedy show," though. That's sketch comedy. It's popularity has always ebbed and flowed, too. That's the effect of being on air for 40 years.

But the fact of the matter is today's biggest movie stars still host the show to promote their movies. Today's biggest music stars use the show to promote their new albums. Cast members still use it to launch careers. They get millions of hits on YouTube. Idk how much more relevant you could ask a show to be that airs late Saturday night in 2015, especially when they have huge cast turnovers and star comedians no one has ever heard of.

Again, the "water cooler" factor of the show has rapidly diminished over the past 10 years, let alone since when it began. It's not even close to being as socially relevant as it used to.

There will always be a place for this show. That doesn't make it 'relevant' like it used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom