• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saturday Night Live 40th Anniversary Special |OT| (Bill Murray, Eddie Murphy, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The show started with an awesome first sketch and then immediately stumbled with that awful Californians sketch. After that it was a mixed bag and half of the show was lukewarm. They had all that talent there and so many of them just gave a boring speech or weren't used at all. I would have liked to seen more sketches as a lot of stuff felt like filler. It was overall a decent show and it was great seeing so many great talents get together for something like this.

I would assume that the lack of sketches for some of them was just because of a lack of schedule to reherse. I imagine they'd still want to be a part of the show, but just couldn't make commitments to actually be a part of rehersals, so a simple speech was the best they could do.

Allforce

I had no idea this was even in the works and tuned in randomly during the red carpet special at like 7:45. Watched the entire thing, what a great show. I lost it so many times, especially the perfect callback to "Lovitz is dead" during the tribute to cast and crew who have passed away.

Burt

The show started with an awesome first sketch and then immediately stumbled with that awful Californians sketch. After that it was a mixed bag and half of the show was lukewarm. They had all that talent there and so many of them just gave a boring speech or weren't used at all. I would have liked to seen more sketches as a lot of stuff felt like filler. It was overall a decent show and it was great seeing so many great talents get together for something like this.

They totally knew all that ahead of time, too. Poehler said it right off the bat, everyone just thought she was joking.

Yeah whoever said this was like a high school reunion was right.
I thought it was a pretty good show, excuses for meeting up aside.
Celebrity Jeopardy and the digital short were the highlights for me.

I enjoyed it. The montage segments got a bit over the top, but it had such a genuine air of fun & positivity - it's great. But if you really wanted to just get to the good shit - I'd say watch Jeopardy, the Auditions, Update, Chris Rock's introduction for Eddie Murphy, the Questions from the Audience bit, and the Breaks Digital Short.

I enjoyed it. The montage segments got a bit over the top, but it had such a genuine air of fun & positivity - it's great. But if you really wanted to just get to the good shit - I'd say watch Jeopardy, the Auditions, Update, Chris Rock's introduction for Eddie Murphy, the Questions from the Audience bit, and the Breaks Digital Short.

Bill Murry singing the Jaws theme song was up there as well.

Celebrity jeopardy
Seinfeld talking (especially with Larry David)
Kanye west
Bill Murray/jaws
Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin
Wayne's world
Chris Rock and Louis CK

In that order. Californians was current SNL tier basura and I'm sad that the gawd eddie Murphy didn't do anything.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
I'm totally cooling with the actors breaking but Wiig breaks after every single line that it's hard to get into the skit.

mreddie

Jeopardy, the Auditions, the first half of Weekend Update, Music montage, Audience Questions and the Breaks Digital Short, Wayne's World of course, trolling Jon Lovitz were the highlights.
Not bad for an anniversary show but man, it felt montage heavy.

Le Tits Now

JadanSheridan

Neo Member
"Whore Ads"
And yeah, it was a bit montage heavy, but to try and sum up 40 years in 3 and a half hours, I think they did okay. But I'm biased because I got both Jeopardy and Wayne's World. For that I can forgive Miley, Taylor, and Melissa McCarthy's terrible Matt Foley.

Ecto311

Get it while it's hot. (Celebrity Jeopardy)

https://vid.me/Kluq?fb_ref=Default

Thanks but goddamn that loads slow as fuck - my wife missed it so we were looking for it. She seen the rest of the show so has no idea she missed the best thing about the entire show. I could have turned it off right after this and missed very little but we watched the entire thing. Got a tv antenna since we hate cable just for this show and it was worth it.

painey

I wonder if there will be a SNL 50th. The cast right now is terrible and it has some of the worst writing in my recent memory. The skits aren't just not funny - they're straight up bad.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Eddie Murphy looked like he just wanted to get the hell outta there.

Ohh Gee thanks guys.. Are we going to the swipey thing? oh no? ok...

megamerican

I'll take it for what it was. Loved seeing Norm featured relatively heavily. Celebrity Jeopardy was great, Wayne's World worked out better than I thought it would. The Californians was fucking awful. Taylor Swift and the old lady getting absolutely no reaction was so awkward and cringey.

And yeah Eddie was a serious letdown. Chris Rock's introduction built this guy up so much then he just comes out and looks like Franco hosting the Oscars.

Toothless

I wish Eddie Murphy had done something. Seriously, if he says he doesn't want to do anything, make him do something anyway.

I would've even been fine with Eddie Murphy trying to break to commercial and then Mike Myers coming out in a Shrek costume, bellowing "Get out of my swamp, Eddie!" and then Eddie Murphy storming out of the building pissed off.

ivysaur12

Banned
I wonder if there will be a SNL 50th. The cast right now is terrible and it has some of the worst writing in my recent memory. The skits aren't just not funny - they're straight up bad.

This current crop probably has one of the strongest female ensembles in a very long time.

And, like, this gets said every year. It's still one of the highest rated programs on NBC. It will run for another decade, if not significantly longer.

Kibbles

@shoemakermike - McCartney Jimmy Danny Taylor Swift singing "when I saw her standing there". Snl after party. Insane.

B98kDCgCMAA-0W-.jpg:large

tumblr_njure31L7N1qb86xno1_1280.jpg

questlove: I don’t need to do anything on turntables: Jimmy, Taylor, Justin, Jim B, Dan A, form a superband Swift’s confidence and command of this band is friggin a site to see. She killin it. #SNL40 #SNL40afterparty
tumblr_njuqycEXpz1qb86xno1_1280.jpg

JCatNY

Neo Member
What a disappointment. Every time a pre-recorded clip came on, I was hoping to see more of those, rather than the current, live awkward disasters. The whole live comedian doing a famous dead comedian's character was just not funny at all. I love Snow and McCarthy, I think it would have been better to just have shown some classic moments with the real deals. Instead, we get the Sandler bro's doing that awful number, or the Californians going on forever. I think the Wayne's World and Jeopardy moments were probably the highlights. Oh well, maybe it's just me having the Sunday blues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom