• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sniffle-GAF: How Do You Handle Coughs and Colds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is how I manage colds.

Take one large mug. Add the following:
1x good tablespoon honey
1x good measure whiskey or bourbon
Juice from 1/2 squeezed lemon
2x thin slices of fresh ginger root
Slice of lemon for show
Boiling water

Can you go to the store and get these for me?

I'll handle the boiling water.

IISANDERII

If I feel an illness coming on with the initial symptom being a sore throat, I'll wear a scarf. 24/7.
The idea is that if you keep your immune response high(by keeping it warm) it will hold off the infection.
It works.

ricola.jpg

throat-coat.jpg

Progresso_Chicken_Noodle_Soup.jpg

Maddocks

Wolfs blood. I never get sick. Even if I'm out in the cold for long periods of time or in the rain. I just never get the flu or cold. It will no doubt lead to my downfall.

I just use cold medicine and drink a lot of liquids.

My nose finally cleared up though. I blew it so hard the other day that my ear got stopped up.

My mom always told me whenever I had a cough to hold it in and it would eventually go away. It works for a while, but I don't have the willpower to hold it in and just let it all out.

shira

Welp, I have strep throat. You know when Mankind/Cactus Jack would fall on thumbtacks? That's what my throat feels like right now.

So what do you guys do to feel better while you're sick?

For me, I just get myself a crap-ton of Gatorade and Saltines (though this time it's ice cream), play NES games (Mega Man is an excellent series to play while sick) and watch episodes of Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Get the flu shot.
Wash your hands.
Profit!

Rinoa

Suffering from a cold right now and hate it, I went through 2 boxes of kleenex and 4 hankys today only.

Tried thai curry but it gave me a stomach ache in the end, prolly had too much.

I usually use this stinky, stinging Chinese medicine I get from Chinatown. It's a vapor rub, but it's a really good decongestant. I can't think of the name of it off the top of my head. Anyone know the name of it?

tiger-balm-extra.jpg

whachu know about tiger balm?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Funny that I only saw this thread now, sore throat is my most-hated sickness by far, and I let it creep up on me more than a week ago when I came back to cold-ass Europe from my sunny, hot home.

Best thing is to always, always destroy it the instant you feel it coming on, they vary where you are, but after my many years of experience of killing this annoying thing, the best thing are these lemon-like powder packets you mix into a boiling-hot cup of water - if you can barely feel them coming on, these will kill it immediately.

There are also these little honey/lime drops you can suck on for early strep throat as well, in Holland they're called Strepsil and they also work wonders early and fast.

If you don't have them, simply take a spoonful of honey, squeeze some lime in it and take it every hour or so, with some hot tea/foods in between. Most important thing is to start immediately or end up being miserable for days on end.

Man I'm still recovering from when I made this thread. That night I had a 103 degree fever and has the most bizarre dreams about...lines.

Like, I was making lines out of thin air using math.

youcantexplainthat.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
I have an overactive immune system... if I so much as walk past anyone with a cold i will show symptoms within hours. Can't stand this shitty body!

zinc therapy is what i rely on. I use oral mist variety. aside from that it sucks that there's little else you can do.

chicken soup sure tastes great even if it doesn't 'do' much else.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Ever since my early teens I made a point not to take any medicine whenever I caught a cold. I saved medicine for big shit like migraines or stomach bugs. After a couple years I started noticing that I hardly ever got colds or sore throats anymore and that trend has pretty much continued to this day. I might get the sniffles and a scratchy throat for two or three days but that's about it.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I handle them like a boss, they go away after a few days so it's no biggie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom