• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

mm04

My wife and I watched it over 3 nights and loved it. Made me impatient for the day my girls are old enough so I can sit and watch Eerie Indiana with them.

Take my advice and never watch an episode of The Goldbergs; I fear your head might explode.
That was a reference to Scanners by the way. Hope it wasn't too shoehorned in.

Haha no doubt. The reason that stuff appears is because it was damn prevalent at the time, I like the Goldbergs too. Posters were sold everywhere. You could get them at record stores like Music Plus or Wherehouse too. My mom wouldn't allow posters, but my best friend at the time had a Star Wars poster next to one of prime Linda Ronstadt (had a crush on her big time back in the day). It was a damn staple of a kids bedroom at the time. When I read posts like that I feel like the obligatory post of "You just shot yourself in the foot...I don't know how much the rest of you know about growing up in the 80s (I'm an expert), but music, movie posters, riding bikes and playing AD&D are huge parts of it".

Solo

I don't think S2 has been confirmed, guys. It seems inevitable that it will be (and the Duffer Broters have plans for several seasons), but nothing official has been announced yet.

Kalentan

I don't think S2 has been confirmed, guys. It seems inevitable that it will be (and the Duffer Broters have plans for several seasons), but nothing official has been announced yet.

Correct, there has been no official conformation from Netflix but the Brothers did say they're already moving forward with season 2.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Its kind of funny to see the word of mouth thing happening with this show. A lot of studios and creators spend millions and millions of dollars trying to generate a "cult hit" but don't get any kind of return for their investment. Always cool to see it happening as a lot of things in this day and age are usually hyped up to know end before they come out almost expecting it.

HStallion

Finn Wolfhard on Kissing Scenes - Vulture.com

Pretty funny little interview with Mike's actor on the kissing scenes and the making of Stranger Things. Some choice quotes:

Yeah, that was my first time doing romantic scenes. Because we got along so well and we were friends prior, we were more comfortable with it because we knew what was going to happen. Matt and Ross are basically kids, so they would always tease us about it: “Hey, Finn, you ready for the kiss?” [Makes kissing noises.] That kind of eased the tension. Once it happened, it was just, whatever. Millie's reaction was the funniest thing I've ever seen on set. We didn't kiss until the first take, and we did it. It was a really good take. They yelled cut. Millie got up and just looked, like, disappointed. Then she yelled out, “Kissing sucks. That sucked.” That's what she said. It was the funniest reaction I've ever seen on a person, because I was her first kiss. I don't know, it was really, really funny. We were more comfortable with it than anyone else would be, which, I was really glad that happened.

What made you decide you wanted to go into acting?

My dad is a screenwriter, so he always used to watch movies for inspiration when I was a baby. I would watch movies with him, I guess, in the background. Probably movies that I definitely should not have watched. That's probably more thanks to my brother. I just wound up getting inspired by all these movies I grew up watching. I just wanted to get into show business. I didn't really care what it was, I just wanted to get into it.

Finn sounds like a pretty cool kid. His dad raised him well.

Matty77

Posters were sold everywhere. You could get them at record stores like Music Plus or Wherehouse too. My mom wouldn't allow posters
This my mom had no issues with, beyond collages made from metal magazines and posters from Nintendo power my pride was a big ass Eddie from number of the beast era...
playing AD&D are huge parts of it.
...this I had to fight for though thanks to the satanic panic. Music and posters were no issue but it took a lot of proving that D&D was just a game, and a good for the imagination and quite nerdy pen and paper affair at that, but she eventually caved.

I'm only half way but really enjoying it so far. Finding it pretty predictable so far but enjoying it a lot nonetheless, really good kid actors too.

d9b

Banned
Didn't even know it existed. Then suddenly all my friends are talking about it, so I load up Netflix and there it is.
well-there-it-is.gif

:D

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I could have sworn I read in this thread that the girl who plays Eleven was Winona Ryder's actual daughter, but I just found out that's totally not true. I'm all confused.

HStallion

I could have sworn I read in this thread that the girl who plays Eleven was Winona Ryder's actual daughter, but I just found out that's totally not true. I'm all confused.

Someone said that in this thread and they were dumb for saying it as its totally false.

Matty77

Someone did say that but couldn't tell if they were joking or serious. Either way it's not true.

lIt barely makes sense that those families are still living in that city, considering what they all know has transpired there.

I hope that any Season 2 is a significant remix of their formula. It can't just be E.T. with monsters again.
No way. Often ties to your home and people/friends/places you know, routine and familiarity, come first. How many people still live in Florida or New Orleans despite the devastating hurricanes and flooding that happened? People still living in and around Chernobyl. People returning and rebuilding after 9/11.

Moving away accepts that all the the families suffered this insane otherworldly incident,
that it all really happened. Perhaps it's easier to just live normally and just deal with their fears in secret. Maybe pretending and hoping all that was just crazy nightmare and everything's normal again now

bengraven

Finished it.

+ the cast is incredible:
- Winona Ryder was born to play the "I'm not crazy!" mom
- the kids were fantastic: Dustin was a favorite, but the others were all given their parts to play for nearly equal time. Great to see Lucas have a real chunk of the story and his race never mentioned once.
- the little girl who played Eleven was fantastic - I never thought I'd like another "science experiment girl with killer powers" trope, but did a great job honoring the classic role while also adding a lot
- Hopper was great as the grizzled, but still lady killing and sarcastic cop with a dark past
- Jonathon as the weirdo who can still be hero without
getting the girl
- Steve as the douchebag who
actually redeems himself several times, including at the end
+ also, I think I'm in love with Natalia Dyer

+ some of the homages are straight up obvious
(Eleven doing the ET thing while alone, the bike scenes being evocative of ET and Goonies, the alien egg thing)
and some are really really tired, but the story is so good and well written/shot/acted that you don't think about it. *

+ credits, music, so good.

+ that scene at the end with the nearly Tangerine Dream-sounding music - I was crying.

- the monster wasn't that interesting and had some bad CGI

- there wasn't anymore after it was over

A box in the woods? Come on, you know you wanted 11 to end up living with Hopper

* reminds me a lot of Once Upon A Time in the West. While a modern day casual film watcher will never notice it, back in the day it was very obvious that nearly every scene in that movie is an homage to another scene from a classic and even obscure western. Had you been born in the 50s and 60s and watched OUATitW you'd be feeling much the same way as watching Stranger things being a child of the 70s or 80s.

border

No way. Often ties to your home and people/friends/places you know, routine and familiarity, come first. How many people still live in Florida or New Orleans despite the devastating hurricanes and flooding that happened? People still living in and around Chernobyl. People returning and rebuilding after 9/11.

Moving away accepts that all the the families suffered this insane otherworldly incident,
that it all really happened. Perhaps it's easier to just live normally and just deal with their fears in secret. Maybe pretending and hoping all that was just crazy nightmare and everything's normal again now

We're not really talking about rebuilding after a freak disaster though. They're essentially living on a hellmouth that could spit monsters out at them anytime. There's no reason to assume that there was only one of those things.

Beyond that, the characters are all essentially in the crosshairs of a shadowy government organization that has no compunction about murdering people to cover up their activities, and no particular reason to honor their bargain with Hopper (especially since they didn't get Eleven). That alone is more than enough reason to get the hell outta Hawkins.

Chopper

Half way through, and won't be able to watch the rest until the weekend. Still, I gotta say, this shit is fucking amazing. I am pulling for every single character. The acting is fucking superb. The soundtrack, the atmosphere, everything is ticking all my boxes. I can't wait to see where this goes.

Edit: I think I blinked and missed what Nancy saw when she was investigating behind the pool when Barb disappeared. Did we a get a good look at the "monster"?!

Jarmel

Banned
This show has blown up in popularity, I must inquire, was there a lot of hype for it before it's release? Or did it just sneak up on everyone? I hadn't heard about this until like days before it released and even then it wasn't until I heard all the praise that I had to watch it.

The only reason I knew about it was due to me clicking on this thread.

JEEPERS CREEPERS!

This show has given me goosebumps so many times. It's a bit campy and not serious, but it still manages to send shivers down my spine. I know it's supposed to be inspired by 80s shows or whatever, but Ive never really watched that era.

I just am totally in love with the concept of a small town, 80s setting, government project, some kind of supernatural/sci-fi element. There's something about that time period and setting that makes the whole thing feel hopeless and scary, as opposed to something like a modern setting.

Love the kids, they are stereotypically ...80s I guess? Token black kid is great (and super token-- havent even seen his parents yet), kid with speech impediment or missing teeth is adorable, and Nancy's boyfriend is such a mega douche. I had a kid in high school like him, comes off snake-like.

Seriously the child actors are really good, and I feel like in so many other shows...they are really not.

Only thing that's a letdown is the CGI. And while I'm not totally on board with a big
monsters
, I love the idea that there is some kind of
alternate dimension
or something (I assume from episode 4).

Jarmel

Banned
Not sure how well a second season is going to play out. I'm worried the concept and characters are going to feel stretched out as a result.

On a related note, Netflix needs to cut their episode counts down. The writing for this was super tight because they didn't have to have multiple episodes of filler and bloat like their Marvel shows.

Really been digging this show, just wrapped up episode 5 and had an issue during the ep when
nancy decides to just climb through the portal, it seemed so out of place and super forced. She had no reason nor motivation to, not to mention it wasnt just a hole it was a goopy messy thing

Question for you guys regarding Season structures in shows.

Do you enjoy these shorter seasons of shows or longer full 22 episodes? Daredevil I think has 12 episodes in it, so thats more towards the middle of things.

What do you prefer?

Not sure how well a second season is going to play out. I'm worried the concept and characters are going to feel stretched out as a result.

On a related note, Netflix needs to cut their episode counts down. The writing for this was super tight because they didn't have to have multiple episodes of filler and bloat like their Marvel shows.

Well hey! This is good. Interesting.

HStallion

I kind of hope they keep the episode count to like 8 to 10 but maybe increase the scope of the world. Other towns or places, a larger government conspiracy, a greater look at the still mysterious and foreboding Upside Down, and introduce new characters who are hopefully as well written and lovable as the current cast. Stephen King did love to expand on his initial novels with much more grandiose storylines and they could do the same. Maybe Stranger Things season 2 will be the like Terminator 2 to Terminator.

Matty77

Do you enjoy these shorter seasons of shows or longer full 22 episodes? Daredevil I think has 12 episodes in it, so thats more towards the middle of things.

What do you prefer?
shorter and tighter. Exact amount depends on the show but I find anything more than 16 ( and that's the absolute upper limit) is guaranteed to have at least half to more of the remaining episodes be straight up filler.

HStallion

Really been digging this show, just wrapped up episode 5 and had an issue during the ep when
nancy decides to just climb through the portal, it seemed so out of place and super forced. She had no reason nor motivation to, not to mention it wasnt just a hole it was a goopy messy thing

I mean she does have a reason to do it
Barb. Its still stupid but she was pretty desperate to locate her and that was the main reason she gets involved in the whole monster plot

I finished it. It was great.

Even tho it was all great, I gotta give it up to those kids first and foremost.

Jesus christ they were incredible. It's like a new Stand By Me. I bet most of preprod was spent on casting.

I agree my friend. They absolutely nailed it.

Timeaisis

What do you prefer?

Well hey! This is good. Interesting.

Absolutely this way. Shorter seasons, tighter episodes. No filler. There is nothing I hate more than filler television. This felt more like a miniseries, in a good way, with a deliberat plot arc.

Spoiler speculation :
I just realized that the upside down is seeping in to the real world in that building. It's growing bigger and taking over more the real world when we see hopper and Co go downstairs again. The upside down is now available to enteread that town with free will more so than what the monster did. It took 6 people right? So I suspect 5 monsters.

What do you prefer?
It depends entirely on what's right for an individual story.

Afrocious

I think part of what helps this show is the low episode count. You can binge the entire thing on your day off.

Which is what I did.

At first I was upset about there being a second season
continuing with the same characters
, but now I don't care as long as it's good. If it's not good, I'll stop. We can't tell how good the second season will be, regardless of if the series was going to be an anthology of stories or not, and we already have confirmation that isn't the case.

Shoot, True Detective is an anthology and you saw how bad S2 was.

Toxa

Spoiler speculation :
I just realized that the upside down is seeping in to the real world in that building. It's growing bigger and taking over more the real world when we see hopper and Co go downstairs again. The upside down is now available to enteread that town with free will more so than what the monster did. It took 6 people right? So I suspect 5 monsters.

it will be like Resident evil 2 ? same story at bigger scale ?

The only real negative I had with the show was the monster. It was intimidating at first but the more they shown it off and we saw how bad the design and quality of the CG was, it lost all impact. They should have also used practical effects, shocked they didn't considering what the show was going for.

But other than that, I thought it was one of the best 80s throwback works ever. It nailed pretty much everything from the soundtrack, storytelling beats and sets. Those kids were also great actors, some of the best I've ever seen. I would love it if they go for more of a sci-fi angle next time as opposed to the supernatural.

cantona222

I was disappointed by Finding Dory although I enjoyed most of Pixar's previous movies. I thought that my taste towards TV & movies is changing overall and it will be rare to love/get excited about a new movie or TV series ....... but thankfully I was wrong. Watching Stranger Things was very entertaining and I am really passionate about.

EGM1966

Great show just finished binge watching it.

Nice sense of period and its roots but what stands out is the focus on character. The cast were terrific and really felt alive and interesting to observe.

Plot was fun although of course predictable if you've any familiarity with the source material it's evoking: but that's fine when the characters are robust and this well portrayed.

A couple of niggles aside it was very, very well constructed and true to its characters and sources.

Bring on S2 if they can keep this up.

Gotta say enjoyed shorter episode count too: few narratives can hold up for big episode counts without filer creeping in and 8 to 10 feels much better.

Look at season one of Twin Peaks. Low episode count and arguably one of the most perfect seasons of TV ever released.

I hope we'll see more shorter seasons over time and less filling out of plot to bulk up stratified to longer episode runs.

Top Bottom