• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

Solo

The only real negative I had with the show was the monster. It was intimidating at first but the more they shown it off and we saw how bad the design and quality of the CG was, it lost all impact. They should have also used practical effects, shocked they didn't considering what the show was going for.

But other than that, I thought it was one of the best 80s throwback works ever. It nailed pretty much everything from the soundtrack, storytelling beats and sets. Those kids were also great actors, some of the best I've ever seen. I would love it if they go for more of a sci-fi angle next time as opposed to the supernatural.

It was mostly practical - a guy in a suit.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Just started watching with two friends, three episodes in thus far. Loving it so far, right up my alley in a number of ways too. It really is like a fantastically done blend of 70s/80s horror/sci-fi/kid & teen drama all mixed into one, with a hint of Twin Peaks, Silent Hill, X-Files, Goonies, & a few others in a blend, but backed with fantastic acting, music, camera work, direction, and style. So far at least, but it's gotten better with each episode for me, so can't imagine it letting off. Excited to watch more with them later today probably.

Jarmel

Banned
The only real negative I had with the show was the monster. It was intimidating at first but the more they shown it off and we saw how bad the design and quality of the CG was, it lost all impact. They should have also used practical effects, shocked they didn't considering what the show was going for.

But other than that, I thought it was one of the best 80s throwback works ever. It nailed pretty much everything from the soundtrack, storytelling beats and sets. Those kids were also great actors, some of the best I've ever seen. I would love it if they go for more of a sci-fi angle next time as opposed to the supernatural.

I agree but I think that's partially due to how effective the frame work was at the beginning. Just seeing the monster 'jump' from location to location was terrifying. The more you explain, the more mundane something becomes.

Ultima_5

Watched three episodes yesterday with gf. Gonna be a long wait til Friday so we can finish up the season.

Great so far. Seems like a croenburg meets freaks and geeks

IronRinn

Cross-posting this from the Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints thread:

Tomorrow, Thursday, July 28th at 12pm ET for one hour on Bottleneck: "The Upside Down" by Matt Ferguson

mattferguson_grande.jpeg
16" x 20" screen print. Numbered timed edition, $45

This time around we have teamed up with HASC and Homes For The Homeless where we will be donating 100% of all profits from the sale towards the purchase of new tricycles and bicycles for their organizations. With the projected amount raised, we should have enough to purchase ~75 children's bikes! These will go a long way in training kids how to ride a bike who might have not had a chance to before.
No title, unfortunately, though Matt Ferguson will have an edition with a title available at Thought Bubble, for those in the UK.

Something tells me you don't know anything about design/quality.

BumRush

Does anyone know the name of the song that plays
a lot when 011 is alone in the house
?

It's 80s sci fi, no words, sort of upbeat and conveys sneakiness a little.

Sorry that's the worst description ever but I honestly don't know how else to describe it.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Cross-posting this from the Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints thread:

No title, unfortunately, though Matt Ferguson will have an edition with a title available at Thought Bubble, for those in the UK.

I actually kind of prefer it not having a title/obvious descriptor of what it's from

Timeaisis

Does anyone know the name of the song that plays
a lot when 011 is alone in the house
?

It's 80s sci fi, no words, sort of upbeat and conveys sneakiness a little.

Sorry that's the worst description ever but I honestly don't know how else to describe it.

Do you remember which episode it's from?

Timeaisis

It happens a few times but the time I remember most vividly is when she is alone in the house just checking everything out, like the TV and the recliner, which is anywhere from episode 3-5, I think.

Hmm...yeah just hear it. Sounds very '80s, but could very well be just part of the written score.

mm04

Does Netflix usually wait this long on renewal news? Maybe it's just selective memory but I feel like the news usually comes pretty quick. Would be shocked if ST doesn't get a second season just based on the amount of acclaim.

Maybe they're looking at a more long term plan? A 2 or even 3 year renewal might be possible if they like the Duffers Harry Potter-type vision. They'll renew it. They renewed some garbage series. Netflix isn't going to blow it on what might be their most hyped series which isn't a licensed brand.

Finished last night after watching in four sittings over the last four days. LOVED IT! Such a damn good cast through and through. This was just about perfect IMO and as someone who grew up in the 80's I think they captured the time period well. And while it has many themes I have seen before I think they were done with such class that I don't care (I have a friend who won't shut up about spotting cliches and tropes and it drives me up the wall....does noticing reocurring themes in fiction make you smarter or something?).

In episode seven I noticed a man with a box of old stuff walking toward the screen. In it was Dungeon!, which was my favorite game growing up. Essentially a rather simplistic board game with some of the ideas from D&D. Even though it was quite basic I found that it really captured my imagination as a youth (especially the monster and treasure art). I am guessing the makers of the show felt the same.

6841669297_254e58118c_zps6ecn0ndy.jpg

mm04

In episode seven I noticed a man with a box of old stuff walking toward the screen. In it was Dungeon!, which was my favorite game growing up. Essentially a rather simplistic board game with some of the ideas from D&D. Even though it was quite basic I found that it really captured my imagination as a youth (especially the monster and treasure art). I am guessing the makers of the show felt the same.

6841669297_254e58118c_zps6ecn0ndy.jpg

Dude, thanks for that blast from the past. I played that too.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
There's no way they aren't going to renew it as it's blown up in the public eye, a lot are watching it, and all the acclaim its getting. They surely are aware at this point they may have a real cult hit on their hands.

I think the reason we haven't gotten word is because they're deciding how many seasons to renew it for. The creators said they had multiple seasons worth of ideas and made the show's concept to go on for more than one season, and even more than two seasons. So I take it the delay in word may be because Netflix might be deciding how to renew it and working out not just renewing it for a second season, but possibly beyond. Taking the time to see if they should just go in for one season, or go more full in like they did with Orange is the New Black as said above.

I will be purchasing the soundtrack when available, both because it's great and to show my support.

Lunar FC

Only finished ep 2. But is there a point to
this whole nancy and the dude thing? Because it's by far the worst part of the show.

Venture

It was cheesy and kind of dumb at times but I have to admit it was fun. A lot like an early Stephen King novel. I'm definitely looking forward to more.

Mariolee

On a whim decided to watch this with my mom before eating dinner and now we just finished the fifth episode. This show has us hooked holy crap.

I hate and love that there's only 8 episodes. The pacing is on point but man I want more.

Something tells me you don't know anything about design/quality.
I'm not an expert in any way but I think I'm quite knowledgeable when it comes to monster designs. The best designs are meant to invoke some kind of natural fear and maybe it was just me but this monster wasn't doing it. What was working though was when they were barely showing the thing, giving brief glimpses and obscuring it in shadow. The lanky human figure was entering uncanny valley territory in a good way but lost that impact when you saw how fake it looked.

Also, I wasn't clear when I said quality but I was talking about the CG. Probably a poor choice of words considering the budget they must have been working with.

Mariolee

Darn it, I just binge watched 8 hours of this omg.

So worth it though. Good stuff.

I will also second the kids being the most incredible child actors ever. Give the girl playing 11 an Emmy.

The Hermit

When te first episode showed that The thing poster in The basemenet, it had me.

Only to later have people watching the movie and even part of the score.

<3

So I sat down to watch maybe two or three episodes of this yesterday since hearing my friends rave about it. I ended up watching the entire season, a short break between episode 5 and the last 3 to make and eat dinner. Man, this is some good television. It was also meant to be binge watched, outside of I believe one (maybe two) episodes they all just kind of bleed into each other. The writing was also amazing, I don't think there was really anything wasted. Everything had a pay off, to some degree. Great stuff.

I really liked this. The writing for the kids was believable enough and the actors' performances were pretty solid and made the show work. It was difficult not to feel the nostalgia the creators clearly have for the time and place, and it would've cut against the whole feeling of general authenticity if the retro goo were laid on any more thickly, but it was doled out just right. Personally, the general Byers family situation felt pretty familiar to me. As an '80s kid who was ten in '83 and played my share of DnD during that general time period, I especially appreciated the inclusion of the tabletop stuff. Overall, the show reminded me of my time growing up and spending time in small towns, riding my bike around everywhere with friends as a latchkey kid, and of my constant trips to Wargames West in ABQ during middle school when I lived nearby. The whole show worked its magic on me and I want to see more.

I really did not expect to like this show, after seeing the trailer. Yet, 3 episodes in and I absolutely love it. It has so much charm, and it's incredibly iconic.

The absolute highlight for me, by far, was in episode 3 when
Winona says blink once for yes, twice for no. The music and her acting/expressions were perfect, the scene really came together with the short dream-like melody playing when he blinked once for "Are you alive" and the music sounding distorted when he blinked twice to "Are you safe"
That scene really was perfect.

LProtag

Finally getting a chance to sit down and watch. I'm on episode 4 and I'm hooked. Though, I've been hooked since the first episode, haha.

Show is great. On episode 6 now. The 80s setting feels just right and makes me want to revisit 80s favorite movies. Manages somehow to competently mix the vibes of period Spielberg, Valley Girl/teen drama, John Carpenter, etc. All of the cast is solid, younger or older.

Airola

Finished the season. It's ok. At moments it's great and at moments it's very very mediocre.

THE GOOD:
-Great actors. Apart from Winona Ryder, who overacted a lot yet still was quite ok, the rest of the cast were excellent. Regardless of age or gender, they all were very very good.

-At best the series was like reading a Stephen King book. At moments I thought this was more King's The Body than what Stand by Me was. That movie didn't quite capture the feeling of the novel, but this was very close to it.

-On technical side, I like how they didn't overdo it. They didn't try to show-off their skills and they didn't overdo the whole retro vibe. This didn't feel like a post-retro pastiche but it felt more like the genuine thing.

-The kids were very sympathetic, as were the teens too. Both the good guys and the bad guys. Again, it was exactly as reading a Stephen King novel. The feeling of these groups of kids had the feeling of, say, It, Salem's Lot and The Body nailed perfectly. I would say this might be the best attempt to bring young Stephen King characters to a television screen. The toothless guy was great.

-I loved the redeeming of the bully character (I'm really bad with remembering names). The girl's boyfriend. Jonathans rival. The scene at the house with them trying to kill the monster was great (apart from the monster itself).

THE BAD:
-The monster was awful. It was terrible. Absolutely horrible. This "plant-face" mutant design was like something from Resident Evil Revelations or Dead Space. Or from some other game where the first monster they show is just like some mutant from the end part of an old Resident Evil game, with a tiny bit of a modern Silent Hill monster. I have never liked that type of monsters.

-The Upside-Down World, or whatever it was, was a bit disappointing. I don't know how much they used CGI in it but that's what it definitely looked like. When you try to bring an authentic feel of the early 80's, all kinds of CGI things ruin the experience. It didn't feel like a shadowy otherworld. It looked like a modern horror video game.

-I felt the story was a bit lacking. The main thing didn't have enough hooks. It often felt like all the things apart the real mystery held up better. The scifi-horror mystery just wasn't interesting enough. It wasn't bad but it could've been so much better.

-As much as I liked the kids, the scene where they played the RPG near the end of the last episode felt over-enthusiastic. Before this scene the kids and the throwbacks to the 80s entertainment were handled with certain kind of finesse. That scene didn't really have it anymore. While before it felt like the kids are really in that world and the characters have themselves decided what they enjoy doing, this scene felt like the directors were forcing them to make "the good old days with D&D" feel much more exciting than it really was.

Overall I did enjoy it, and the Stephen King novel vibes are truly heartwarming, but I can't understand the 9,2 score it currently has on IMDb. It isn't as baffling as it's with True Detective as this show was much much much better than that, but it's still baffling how everyone seems to think this is the best thing ever. Especially with that travesty of a monster.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

To each there own but I liked the monster weak CG and all but I like those kinds of creatures. Also I'm fairly certain most of the
Upside Down was mostly practical from the interviews I read and actually a budgetary thing for turning out like it did. Again I thought it was rather effective but I like the Silent Hill corroded real world thing

Top Bottom