• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

I really don't see what exactly it is people find especially well done in that show. I watched it, found it mediocre at best.
Can someone explain what it is without mentioning the nostalgia factor?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I really don't see what exactly it is people find especially well done in that show. I watched it, found it mediocre at best.

Its incredibly tightly paced, well shot, incredibly well acted by the cast especially the younger kids, and over has some very smart direction. Combine that with a very moody synth score and a script that was tight and had little fat on it. Every scene had a point, every character had several things to do or help with, even side characters like the science teacher and overall it creatives a very evocative period piece. If it was just relying on nostalgia it wouldn't be nearly as well received. The rest of the show is very smartly put together.

Kazuhira

I've watched the entire season in one sit,waiting for S2 will be a torture.
I had such a crush on winona when she was younger and i thought it would've faded now that she is older,nope...she is still as charming as ever in my eyes even if she looks kinda like a mess because of Will's disappearance.
The relationship between El and Mike was the best part of this season imo,it reminds me a little of that swedish movie "Let The Right One In".
Was barbara actually eaten? After thinking about it,it seems like she had the same snake-like parasite(facehugger's cousin) in her body before she died.
Anyway,i hope that Eleven is still alive because she is my fave character(pls don't do some stupid shit like bringing another girl called Twelve that looks exactly like her).

IronRinn

Doesn't appear that he's posted it here, so I'll do it for him: "Upside Down Nightmare" by NeoGAF's own Orioto.

flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg

guek

Banned

It's an incredibly well crafted show from a production standpoint. Unlike most shows, there's very little padding for length, and at 8hrs, it feels like it has more in common with a feature film than with a serial drama. The show is gorgeously shot in a way that always services the story. Every main character and many of the secondary characters are multifaceted and intelligent. It happily borrows from tropes but also subverts them when appropriate. It uses nostalgia as a tool to set up expectations and then often subverts those expectations. The acting is also rarely bad, even with the kids, and just about all the protagonists are easy to understand and relate to. The themes of friendship, family, and redemption are all thoroughly explored in very satisfying arcs. And most of all, the premise is irresistibly intriguing for most people that are fans of the horror/sci-fi genre.

If you have to be told though, don't expect any explanation to change your mind. If it didn't work for you, there's no point in agonizing over why. The show has its share of flaws too. Overwhelming praise doesn't mean it was perfect.

effzee

Just finished last night and LOVED IT!

The only problem I had with the ending was
that "Papa"'s death wasn't satisfying. I wanted him to be killed by 11 in a brutal manner. The flashback scenes with her and him and her begging for "Papa" to help were heartbreaking.

Bring on SEASON 2

Carbonox

I binged this over Sunday and Monday and I have to say it's probably my favourite show this year and one of my favourites in the last few years. It's just fantastic. When New Order - Elegia started playing during one of the middle episodes I had a huge fuck off grin on my face.

Absolutely brilliant.

Just finished last night and LOVED IT!

The only problem I had with the ending was
that "Papa"'s death wasn't satisfying. I wanted him to be killed by 11 in a brutal manner. The flashback scenes with her and him and her begging for "Papa" to help were heartbreaking.

Bring on SEASON 2

Who says he is dead....

3rdman

As a quick side comment, I want to echo the other comments that Netflix badly needs to ditch the 13 episode season and embrace the 8-10 episode one. This season stretched to even 10 episodes would have hurt it and at 13 episodes, it might have been irreparable, but at 8, its a godsend. Just imagine Daredevil at 10 episodes? Jessica Jones at 8 episodes? Holy shit the pacing would have been soooooo much better.

Just wanted to echo your statement...Totally agree. The 80's vibe really hit me in the nostalgia-bone hard but it was the writing, story, and pacing which elevated this show. I literally had the same thoughts as you when discussing the show with a friend.

It's not guaranteed yet since it's not official, but it seems like all signs point to yes. Hopefully Netflix renews it but I expect they will.
lol yes it is. This show is being watched by a shit ton of people, is quality and has a lot of people talking about it. I was laughing when one of the Netflix execs said it's not certain yet.

HStallion

lol yes it is. This show is being watched by a shit ton of people, is quality and has a lot of people talking about it. I was laughing when one of the Netflix execs said it's not certain yet.

It might because the Duffer brothers aren't sure how they want to tackle it despite having an outline. That and figuring out the actors availability and all that.

Boney

Banned
Saw the first episode last night and although government secret lab is incredibly cheesy it hits the right notes of cheesy. Plus I've always loved Winona Ryder.

RLM endorsing it and it being just 8 episodes that I assume won't be hinting at unresolved things like most terrible suspense shows.

But I'm totally on board for the ride.

RyanW

I'm waiting for the inevitable Bluray release with special features. Hopefully before Christmas because that's going on top of my list.

Netflix timeframe releases on DVD/Bluray seem to vary though. Orange is the New Black Season 3 nearly took a year while House of Cards Season 4 took about 5 months for the home release. Then Marvel hasn't released any of their stuff. I guess it just just depends on the other companies involved in each project. Hopefully Netflix takes advantage of it

maxcriden

I didn't mean it's not guaranteed logically, just that it hasn't been officially announced yet. Sorry to have been unclear. I definitely think it is a lock for renewal.

3rdman

It might because the Duffer brothers aren't sure how they want to tackle it despite having an outline. That and figuring out the actors availability and all that.

The idea that they'd go into production on any show which could extend beyond a single season without contracts in place seems highly unlikely. If there is a delay in announcing another season, it is likely being timed for maximum effect/promotion but its surely coming.

I didn't mean it's not guaranteed logically, just that it hasn't been officially announced yet. Sorry to have been unclear. I definitely think it is a lock for renewal.

I think I read, in here, that someone speculated that they[Netflix] wanted hype (or views) to die down before they announce a sequel.
The idea that they'd go into production on any show which could extend beyond a single season without contracts in place seems highly unlikely. If there is a delay in announcing another season, it is likely being timed for maximum effect/promotion but its surely coming.

This

With the VR demo and them putting the cast thru a Universl Studios style entertainment room, the series is definitely going to continue.

Disgraced

This is alright for a 13 year-old, isn't it? I'm thinking about watching this with my sister if I can get her off Pretty Little Liars for a minute. I've already watched and all I'm really concerned about is that one scene and the general "scariness-level." Opinions?

psyfi

Banned
I was hanging out with my friends last night while they watched the last three episodes, and I kept on trying to convince them that every character has powers, lol.

When Mike started flying after jumping off the cliff I was like "SEE!!! I told you guys."

"How did Hop just waltz right into that military base?"
"HE HAS POWERSSSS"

Unfortunately, I didn't fool them.

So what's the consensus on this show? I recently went on a trip with my Sister and she recommended it showering it with glowing praise - it seems she loved it. Is it really that good? I have all the episodes ready to go on Netflix but I've hesitated to give this a shot. For those that have seen every episode did you enjoy it?

Your help would be appreciated! If you guys come back to me saying it's good I might marathon this tomorrow.

JoeBoy101

So what's the consensus on this show? I recently went on a trip with my Sister and she recommended it showering it with glowing praise - it seems she loved it. Is it really that good? I have all the episodes ready to go on Netflix but I've hesitated to give this a shot. For those that have seen every episode did you enjoy it?

Your help would be appreciated! If you guys come back to me saying it's good I might marathon this tomorrow.

Enough with the foreplay. Get down on this, you won't regret it.

it's good

Enough with the foreplay. Get down on this, you won't regret it.

Haha for real. Sounds like a damn chore to get that guy to watch a TV show.

Thanks for the swift feedback guys! lol I know it's only a TV show and I should probably just take the plunge! Given you guys have said this is good I think I'll give the first episode a shot tomorrow and if I like it I'll marathon the entire first season. You guys have said this is good in addition to my Sister so I think that's a sufficient recommendation.

Thanks again - I appreciate you guys helping me out.

mm04

Thanks for the swift feedback guys! lol I know it's only a TV show and I should probably just take the plunge! Given you guys have said this is good I think I'll give the first episode a shot tomorrow and if I like it I'll marathon the entire first season. You guys have said this is good in addition to my Sister so I think that's a sufficient recommendation.

Thanks again - I appreciate you guys helping me out.

It's difficult to just watch one episode. It's presented like an 8 hour movie and for most people, it just sucks you in and bang you're done.

jey_16

Banned
wow...i didn't even know this show existed and on a whim, decided to try it and it was amazing. Binge watched it in 4 days and it is legitimately one of the best shows i have watched

i'm going to recommend it to everyone i know

Shadybiz

Finished it last night, and my wife and I loved every bit of it. Really hoping they do a 2nd season, but the first easily stands on its own.

HStallion

The only thing I don't like about its shot is the spacial set up of things relating to the camera is a bit messed up with the actual handshake. Lucas and Mike basically "switch positions" for the handshake itself despite the camera framing them on opposite sides for the shot leading up to it.

guek

Banned
The only thing I don't like about its shot is the spacial set up of things relating to the camera is a bit messed up with the actual handshake. Lucas and Mike basically "switch positions" for the handshake itself despite the camera framing them on opposite sides for the shot leading up to it.

It's called the 180 degree rule and yeah, that cut breaks it. For no good reason too since they could have just flipped the image.

Just stayed up all night binge watching this. Had no idea it even existed until then and I absolutely loved it. Can't say a bad thing about it.

TV is just destroying movies lately. This Netflix produced tv show is the best live action thing I've seen this year. And everything that isn't a franchise is absolutely tanking the box office this year (I love Star Wars and enjoy Marvel, but it's nice to see this show be so popular after a really good movie like "The Nice Guys flopped so hard) TV is where you go for your passion projects these days.

Wow these latest impressions are glowing and overwhelmingly positive. Now I feel like an idiot for asking about its quality here and not just jumping in earlier. Going to give this a shot today! If I like it I'll probably marathon the entire season. Once I've watched it I'll report back with impressions.

ChaosXVI

Finishing this really made want to bust out Metroid Prime 2 for a revisit. Their depictions of a "dark world" seem rather similar. This show is sooooo damn good, and I can't wait to see where it goes next season.

Top Bottom