• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

doop_

Banned
After finishing this show I had one of those moments where I wish I had amnesia only remembering how amazing this show is and that I should watch it.

-griffy-

Banned
OST volume 1 (of 2) hits this Friday!

1470068170-0-62dyuk3ra3vvol9-1.gif

Official Tweet:

Stranger Things ‏@Stranger_Things 31s32 seconds ago
The perfect original soundtrack for bike rides and monster hunts. Volume 1 available Friday. Volume 2, 8/19.

Dereck

The only thing I don't like about its shot is the spacial set up of things relating to the camera is a bit messed up with the actual handshake. Lucas and Mike basically "switch positions" for the handshake itself despite the camera framing them on opposite sides for the shot leading up to it.
Bro you ruined my own gif for me.

Details on the soundtrack:

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/netflix-details-stranger-things-volume-1-score-release-w433690

Netflix's hit Eighties-inspired sci-fi series Stranger Things will release two volumes of its synth-y soundtrack, the streaming service announced Wednesday. Stranger Things, Volume 1 arrives digitally August 12th, with a CD release planned for September 16th. Volume 2 is out digitally August 19th followed by a September 23rd physical release.

Stranger Things, Volume 1 Track List
1. "Stranger Things"
2. "Kids"
3. "Nancy and Barb"
4. "This Isn't You"
5. "Lay-Z-Boy"
6. "Friendship"
7. "Eleven"
8. "A Kiss"
9. "Castle Beyers"
10. "Hawkins"
11. "The Upside Down"
12. "After Sarah"
13. "One Blink For Yes"
14. "Photos in the Woods"
15. "Fresh Blood"
16. "Lamps"
17. "Hallucinations"
18. "Hanging Lights"
19. "Biking to School"
20. "Are You Sure?"
21. "Agents"
22. "Papa"
23. "Cops Are Good at Finding"
24. "No Weapons"
25. "Walking Through the Nether"
26. "She'll Kill You"
27. "Run Away"
28. "No Autopsy"
29. "Dispatch"
30. "Joyce and Lonnie Fighting"
31. "Lights Out"
32. "Hazmat Suits"
33. "Theoretically"
34. "You Can Talk to Me"
35. "What Else Is There to Do?"
36. "Hawkins Lab

Atkison04

Just wanted to hop in this thread to give the show my endorsement. I watched it all last week and thought it was amazing. Netflix is doing some damn good work with their shows. Stranger things, master of none, making a murderer and daredevil have all been top notch for me. I'd place stranger things at the top though because I love the genre and feel of the show 👍👍

zoukka

Just watched the final episode, which was pretty bad.

All in all the series has a good premise, ok production and directing but too many flaws to rise out from the depths of mediocre valley. The writing was mostly hammy and cheesy and the kids often sounded super unrealistic and non believable. The worst role was handed to Winona who either cannot act, or just couldn't do anything with the bad writing. What an annoying character.

3 teenagers beat the Demogorgon and a small army of men with automatic guns couldn't stop it. The moment when white haired dude was got looked so bad.

The ending was so goddamn drawn out, you'd think this series was hundred episodes long.

Edit: reading this thread I just have to say my taste is the opposite of GAF lol.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

All in all the series has a good premise, ok production and directing but too many flaws to rise out from the depths of mediocre valley. The writing was mostly hammy and cheesy and the kids often sounded super unrealistic and non believable. The worst role was handed to Winona who either cannot act, or just couldn't do anything with the bad writing. What an annoying character.

3 teenagers beat the Demogorgon and a small army of men with automatic guns couldn't stop it. The moment when white haired dude was got looked so bad.

The ending was so goddamn drawn out, you'd think this series was hundred episodes long.

Edit: reading this thread I just have to say my taste is the opposite of GAF lol.

Nance, John and Steve didn't take out the Demigorgon. At most they slightly burnt it but otherwise it was fairly unphased. El was the one who took it out herself.

I feel basically the exact opposite on most every point of yours but to each their own! Seriously though the kinds were as authentic as they could get, I had some conversations they had damn near verbatim as a kid with my group of friends.

mm04

Uhh your opinion is in the vast minority, period. Not just on GAF. But as HStallion said, to each his/her own. There's stuff I hate that the majority love, so yeah.

Guyzzzz the monster is alive! 11 just transported it far away in the upside down and wounded it a lot. It's just healing.. waiting... to come back as its 2nd form lol

We probably just seen how the monster can transport to the ud like it did with barb.

Come on guys :p.... believe

Hey guys, this show is pretty run-of-the-mill after 5 episodes. Feels like a very mediocre mishmash of Stephen King novels and 80s cult movies which are all better than this. There are pretty much no surprises in the first 4 episodes. Very predictable for anyone who ever read/watched sci-fi/horror.

Still pretty watchable, but nowhere near must-watch TV shows.

Oh, and when it tries to be funny, it fails HARD.

The criticism you have with the show are exactly the genre it was going for. A lot of stuff I love from the 80s/90s fits right into the tropes of this show and that's what made it so much fun for me.

sp3ctr3

Bnge watched it last weekend and absolutely loved it. I like the fact that the 80's references don't feel forced but a natual part of the show. It actually feels like this was recorded in the 80's! Quite incredibe.

Did Lucas remind anybody of a kid version of Chris Rock? The way he spoke and his outbursts remided me sooo much of Chris Rock.

HStallion

Hey guys, this show is pretty run-of-the-mill after 5 episodes. Feels like a very mediocre mishmash of Stephen King novels and 80s cult movies which are all better than this. There are pretty much no surprises in the first 4 episodes. Very predictable for anyone who ever read/watched sci-fi/horror.

Still pretty watchable, but nowhere near must-watch TV shows.

Oh, and when it tries to be funny, it fails HARD.

Those homages, calls and what not were very much on purpose. Also again, run of the mill? Most every other Netflix show could take some classes from Stranger things on weaving a tightly written plot with good pacing and some smart if unflashy direction. On top of that its got the best cast of child and teen actors since the Wire, seriously I do not know of a show that comes anywhere near close.

On top of that its not trying to surprise you with constant plot twists, shocking unexpected endings, and so on. This isn't Breaking Bad. Its got a story to tell and that's what it focuses on, not trying to keep the audience guessing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's kind of funny that the Upside Down explanation episode took place before my viewing group had informally named it "The Barb Dimension," a name which has pretty much stuck.

DedValve

Banned
Watched this with my mom who was 30 years old when it was the 80s and used to take my sisters to the movies.

She gleamed when wills mom gave him tickets to see poltergeist as she did something similar basically lying and saying it was a Chretien movie just to scare my sisters.

She did the same thing to me decades later with scream and the ring, she used to love fucking with us.

We both adored this show and cannot get enough. The story and acting was phenomenal.

Edit: she told my niece anaconda was a documentary and child's play was a Disney movie xD

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Lando!

Just finished. I mostly loved it, especially the earlier episodes. What I did find disappointing though is that
they went for the cgi route, instead of practical effects. They were pretty direct in showing their influences, so I was hoping they took a chance on that, but the cgi was pretty disappointing. The design of the creature was okay, but the cgi made it feel cheap. I loved the earlier eps more because there was more mystery and tension about the creature and its world.

This show has the closest 80's feeling since Ti West's House of the Devil, for that alone I love it. The kid actors were great, with El as a stand-out. I hope this gets a second season, but that's pretty much a given I think. The anthology approach is actually a pretty good idea, I hope they go for that.

This is another notch on Netflix' exclusives belt. Bloodline s1 is still my favorite, but this is near the top.

The kids take a wine tasting trip while paul giamatti chases them and tries to engage them in boring conversation?

That or it'll be the sideways universe where everything is the same except nothing crazy happened and they go live their normal boring lives.

Spoilers: They're actually all dead!

HStallion

Lando!

Just finished. I mostly loved it, especially the earlier episodes. What I did find disappointing though is that
they went for the cgi route, instead of practical effects. They were pretty direct in showing their influences, so I was hoping they took a chance on that, but the cgi was pretty disappointing. The design of the creature was okay, but the cgi made it feel cheap. I loved the earlier eps more because there was more mystery and tension about the creature and its world.

This show has the closest 80's feeling since Ti West's House of the Devil, for that alone I love it. The kid actors were great, with El as a stand-out. I hope this gets a second season, but that's pretty much a given I think. The anthology approach is actually a pretty good idea, I hope they go for that.

This is another notch on Netflix' exclusives belt. Bloodline s1 is still my favorite, but this is near the top.

The monster was mostly practical even the head

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The monster was mostly practical even the head

Read some articles and an itv with The Duffer Brothers said about 50/50? They were planning for more but underestimated how hard it was to nail. Didn't know they attempted that much. Either way, that was definitely one of the weaker aspects of the show for me.

Those homages, calls and what not were very much on purpose. Also again, run of the mill? Most every other Netflix show could take some classes from Stranger things on weaving a tightly written plot with good pacing and some smart if unflashy direction. On top of that its got the best cast of child and teen actors since the Wire, seriously I do not know of a show that comes anywhere near close.

On top of that its not trying to surprise you with constant plot twists, shocking unexpected endings, and so on. This isn't Breaking Bad. Its got a story to tell and that's what it focuses on, not trying to keep the audience guessing.

The Wire? You're not serious are you? hahaha
Stranger Things and The Wire in the same paragraph? Oh my!

Pendas

Banned
The show was absolutely amazing. My Fiance' thinks the last D&D game they play before the end of the season is a play on the finale.

The campaign was only ten hours? (The season was about 10 hours) What happened to the Prince? (What happened to Will?) And the Princess? (Eleven) and what about the flower in the cave? (The Egg inside the Upside Down.)

mm04

The show was absolutely amazing. My Fiance' thinks the last D&D game they play before the end of the season is a play on the finale.

The campaign was only ten hours? (The season was about 10 hours) What happened to the Prince? (What happened to Will?) And the Princess? (Eleven) and what about the flower in the cave? (The Egg inside the Upside Down.)

I would agree with her. Loose threads abound!

HStallion

The Wire? You're not serious are you? hahaha
Stranger Things and The Wire in the same paragraph? Oh my!

Yeah can you name me a cast of kids and teens that has been anywhere near this talented and consistent and believable in their portrayals? The last show to do that was the Wire, I don't think its a bold claim at all.

Kard8p3

Mmm... Those are some good points, didn't notice :).

edit: I agree, the child actors were awesome AF. Made the show 1000000000000x more enjoyable.

The first episode was great. I loved the atmosphere, and the horror element (just seeing a shadow but nothing more) really did it for me.

However, the more the show went on, the less I liked it. The actual explanation for the strange events, the design of the bad guy, the clichéd portrayal of the other (white haired) bad guy, the constant cry face of the girl, ... I just didn't work for me.

So generally speaking the pilot was ace, and then episode after episode I lost more interest. Interesting concept with lots of good aspects (atmosphere, ost, ...) but so so execution.

What a magnificent piece of fiction that is also, thematically, one of the best takes on Lovecraftian story-telling I have ever seen.

In regards to the final shot of the series, I absolutely LOVE the visual language used.
With snow/ash from Upside Down being so similar, and just this ominous message. They are going about their Christmas dinner like everything is fine, but our "window" into reality is so narrow, with the true nature of things being just outside of our perspective.

HStallion

What a magnificent piece of fiction that is also, thematically, one of the best takes on Lovecraftian story-telling I have ever seen.

In regards to the final shot of the series, I absolutely LOVE the visual language used.
With snow/ash from Upside Down being so similar, and just this ominous message. They are going about their Christmas dinner like everything is fine, but our "window" into reality is so narrow, with the true nature of things being just outside of our perspective.

Its funny as I'm a giant Lovecraft fan and I didn't even make the connection until well after watching the show. Its actually a testament of the showing being more than a sum of its parts that I didn't notice something so obvious.
Love to see their version of a Cthulhu style nightmare beast beyond our meager comprehension.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

I thought El sacrificing herself in the finale was a great callback to the opening D&D scene where Radagast (Will) sacrifices himself for the party trying to fireball the demigorgon.

As for the show, I binge watched over two nights a few nights ago. I consider it perfect television. So great.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Watched the whole thing this past week.

It was okay. I thought the acting was off at times. The production was great, as I'd expect from Netflix. The premise started off very intriguingly and then kind of floundered about as it found a way to finally get to the goddamn point. I found a lot of the characters annoying too.

And this is an aside, but I really hate how Nancy was curled up in Steve's arm at the end. Yeah, I get it, she didn't have to be with Jonathan, this doesn't need to be shipping wars - but why in the fuck is she with this clown.

The absolute best thing about this show was the soundtrack. And that's why I'm glad the OST came out - made this worth it.

Its funny as I'm a giant Lovecraft fan and I didn't even make the connection until well after watching the show. Its actually a testament of the showing being more than a sum of its parts that I didn't notice something so obvious.
Love to see their version of a Cthulhu style nightmare beast beyond our meager comprehension.

Its really amazing. There are absolutely shots throughout where you can feel how tenuous characters grasp on sanity must be. LOADS of "I've seen some shit" stares across the cast, which really captures how oppressive this must be for them.

Seriously... how does anyone go back to their life knowing how "close" stranger things are to them at any given moment?

And this is an aside, but I really hate how Nancy was curled up in Steve's arm at the end. Yeah, I get it, she didn't have to be with Jonathan, this doesn't need to be shipping wars - but why in the fuck is she with this clown.

Steve
had his redemption. He stood up to his asshole friends and decided he was too good for them, helped clean up the movie theater marquee, went back to Nancy and Jonathan to apologize, and ended up helping to save the day.

Technically,
Nancy never did break up with him. At the end she basically had her choice of who she wanted to be with. She chose to stay with Steve. I definitely wasn't expecting that, but I don't necessarily see anything wrong with it either. The heart wants what the heart wants.

HStallion

Steve
had his redemption. He stood up to his asshole friends and decided he was too good for them, helped clean up the movie theater marquee, went back to Nancy and Jonathan to apologize, and ended up helping to save the day.

Technically,
Nancy never did break up with him. At the end she basically had her choice of who she wanted to be with. She chose to stay with Steve. I definitely wasn't expecting that, but I don't necessarily see anything wrong with it either. The heart wants what the heart wants.

And of course all this could come back in a season 2 as well.

Top Bottom