• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strider (Capcom/Double Helix, PC/PS4/XB1/PS360, 2014) [Open World, Orig Devs, Video]

guek

Banned
Watched the 60fps gamersyde video...

The game visually looks alright but..I dunno, from a gameplay standpoint, it seems very mediocre. Maybe it's just cuz it's a demo but most of the stage, the player just runs straight through enemies, not even bothering to avoid bullets. What's the point? I don't get it.

Also, Strider's sword animation has way too much bloom. I was kinda hoping they'd have a super clean animation like he had in MvC2

Uyyla21.gif

Maybe by doing some more research? Double Helix has hired quite a few people over the years and from the looks of their two most recent announcements, they seem to have improved. Especially considering they've opened stated that they know what they were, and they went into E3 expecting people to be angry. However, most people who were angry had changed their tune after trying the KI demo.

Besides, Rocksteady used to be the same way. Developers start small and grow all the time.

Rocksteady's entire reason for being wasn't getting hired by Japanese developers to ruin classic franchises, though. They were mediocre, but they didn't do any damage.

Meanwhile, in just the past five years alone, Double Helix already opened the wound that killed Silent Hill and buried Front Mission alive. It's not hard to be frustrated with the fact that this is the first Strider game in a decade and it's being farmed out to a studio known for killing franchises.

I'd like to be excited for this but I've never played a prior Strider game. This might be 100% in line with those, but the Strider I know and love teleports all over the place, air juggles people, bust out 90 hit combos single-handedly, and can summon bombs and robo-tigers/eagles like it's nothing.

This game seems to have none of the awesome stuff that makes Strider Strider for me. Easy pass. Maybe if this does well they can give it to Platinum or the DMC people and I'll get something more representative of the Strider I grew up with in the Marvel vs Capcom series.

*just saw the gameplay video* Yeah, I know Strider predates it by a long shot, but damn if this doesn't look like Shadow Complex + Swords.

How is it u never played a strider game yet say the strider u know & love?

Dahbomb

If you think Ninja Theory are bad, you ain't seen nothing yet.
I don't know man... the footage I saw was nice. Nice effects, nice moves and abilities. I am pretty sure the whole game isn't about being a bullet sponge, that would be quite dumb... probably scaled the difficulty of the demo for presentation purposes.

So it's basically like DmC.

Oh boy......

We need to get clarity on this. Is this a Dragon Quest situation or DMC? With Dragon Quest it's Armor Porject that handles the game design while they let another studio handle the coding. DMC was NT's project while some Capcom Japan guys ok'd things about the project. There's major differences there, so someone needs to ask them to get a clear picture of what's going on here.

I don't know man... the footage I saw was nice. Nice effects, nice moves and abilities. I am pretty sure the whole game isn't about being a bullet sponge, that would be quite dumb... probably scaled the difficulty of the demo for presentation purposes.

Yeah, honestly this looks fine. Realistically, Double Helix are probably past their Homecoming days. That said, when expectations cap out at "fine", I ain't too happy.

I figured Strider would be interesting/beloved enough to get the full in-house AAA treatment from Capcom Japan. Guess not.

I don't like bullet sponge Strider game design, that seems completely at odds with the arcade origins it's based on where you're suppose to be dodging and evading thanks to you ninja like agility. I don't like the music at all. I don't like the tiny shitty little sound effect the cypher makes now. Visually, it's just kinda bland; Strider 2 3D objects didn't age that well, but it had fantastic 2D sprites at least, this is just...whatever. Energy scarf...I like that they making it a UI design thing, but it's so small and insignificant now, which used to be a big part of his character.

But uh, he moves and slashes and slides like Strider. There is that.

I don't know. Approach with caution on this shit, that's as best I can do.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Watched the 60fps gamersyde video...

The game visually looks alright but..I dunno, from a gameplay standpoint, it seems very mediocre. Maybe it's just cuz it's a demo but most of the stage, the player just runs straight through enemies, not even bothering to avoid bullets. What's the point? I don't get it.

]

my biggest concern as well. also, not a huge fan of the art style.

Videoneon

Hotsuma's wasn't energy, though.

(prefacing by saying I haven't played Shinobi PS2, only seen art and watched a lot of gameplay videos)

I guess I was just reminded by the over-the-top-ness of the effect. Hotsuma's scarf was long and angular in movement and when it moves it has a sort of glow. "classic" strider is the only one with an otherwise normal scarf.

.la1n

Maybe by doing some more research? Double Helix has hired quite a few people over the years and from the looks of their two most recent announcements, they seem to have improved. Especially considering they've opened stated that they know what they were, and they went into E3 expecting people to be angry. However, most people who were angry had changed their tune after trying the KI demo.

Besides, Rocksteady used to be the same way. Developers start small and grow all the time.

Hiring new staff doesn't mean people are going to say "oh well lets wipe the slate clean." The core staff that created the past bombs are still there and accounted for. I'm not saying all the negativity is warranted but let's not pretend people being skeptical isn't valid. Lets say the game releases and its fantastic, that's great for us as consumers. Just don't expect people to give blind faith to a studio that to date has yet to prove themselves.

How is it u never played a strider game yet say the strider u know & love?

Marvel vs Capcom 1, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. I didn't buy 3 until Ultimate because I thought it was a complete sham that Strider wasn't in it. That iteration of Strider is the only one I ever knew... and iirc, the only one that's existed for the past 15 years.

Bladenic

So it's basically like DmC.

Oh boy......

Except Ninja Theory are marginally talented, Double Helix are not. Aren't they making Killer Instinct too? Guess two more franchises they can add to their graveyard. I have to question why these companies would bother resurrecting a franchise just to outsource it to a super shitty developer. I guess Strider isn't as mind numbingly stupid as Microsoft not letting Rare touch Killer Instinct lol (unless they aren't allowed to for some legal reason).

.la1n

Except Ninja Theory are marginally talented, Double Helix are not. Aren't they making Killer Instinct too? Guess two more franchises they can add to their graveyard. I have to question why these companies would bother resurrecting a franchise just to outsource it to a super shitty developer. I guess Strider isn't as mind numbingly stupid as Microsoft not letting Rare touch Killer Instinct lol (unless they aren't allowed to for some legal reason).

Microsoft didn't give KI to Rare because Rare in its current form has a hard enough time developing games with any substance much less a fighting game.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I don't like bullet sponge Strider game design, that seems completely at odds with the arcade origins it's based on where you're suppose to be dodging and evading thanks to you ninja like agility. I don't like the music at all. I don't like the tiny shitty little sound effect the cypher makes now. Visually, it's just kinda bland; Strider 2 3D objects didn't age that well, but it had fantastic 2D sprites at least, this is just...whatever. Energy scarf...I like that they making it a UI design thing, but it's so small and insignificant now, which used to be a big part of his character.

But uh, he moves and slashes and slides like Strider. There is that.

I don't know. Approach with caution on this shit, that's as best I can do.

Yeah, seeing the trailer made me go cautious. Hype kinda deflated.

ezekial45

Banned
This should be a great announcement and something that people should be happy about, but you guys are more interested in discussing the semantics of whether DH is a good enough studio or if this game, which seems to have more going for it than the previous titles, is already doomed.

It bums me out. Seriously

Double helix are more then capable of handling KI. Ask any experienced fighting game player who's been keeping up with the scene and I would be surprised if they disagree after DH has said and done for the game so far.

Now for strider, it looks like a digital game for $15 max. If it's a full retail game, I'd be surprised how it could possibly be successful. It's like a ninja megaman. They might improve the gameplay, level design, etc. but it doesn't change the fact that it screams psn/xbla arcade game with a higher budget then usual.

I hope it turns out great cause strider is a cool character and japanese games really need to make a comeback next gen cause I'm starting to hate american shooters and most other bland games. (except naughty dog :)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

guess you havent been following KI very closely. it looks like double helix is doing an outstanding job. all hands on impressions are very positive as well.

Ah man. The dev comes as a surprise. Dammit, this could easily have been farmed off to Platinum. And should have for a full on 3D action game. But I suppose this could be an early step in that sort of direction?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
This should be a great announcement and something that people should be happy about, but you guys are more interested in discussing the semantics of whether DH is a good enough studio or if this game, which seems to have more going for it than the previous titles, is already doomed.

Well, you know, the develop of a game is pretty important part of things... if the developer is suspect? Well, you have this thread.

Dahbomb

Ask any experienced fighting game player who's been keeping up with the scene and I would be surprised if they disagree after DH has said and done for the game so far.
Pretty sure a lot of experienced fighting game players are cautious about the combo breakers and counter breakers in the game. Game could be pretty awesome/hype or it could be a broken mess at high level.

bon

guess you havent been following KI very closely. it looks like double helix is doing an outstanding job. all hands on impressions are very positive as well.

Didn't they hire a whole new team to make KI? I doubt any of those guys are working on Strider.

well, I can agree somewhat, but KI looks good.

Key word. How it "plays" is a whole other beast that needs to be considered.

On another note....This game kind of looks good after seeing the full game play. I'm not feeling the bullet sponge and I don't like how easy it looks. Maybe it's me but everyone dies so...simple. Once slice then done. Seems kind of boring after a while. I need a curve ball once in a while and something challenging along the way. Everyone looks placed and on purpose...I don't know..this is just initial reaction

Disappointed at the scarf. What an odd design choice.

Ultimatey going to need hands on. Gameplay really can't be too bad. So many good platformers from even indies that this really isn't allowed to be terrible. With that said the gameplay was slightly bland, but I'll chalk it up to being deliberate for this demonstration.

It should also be pointed out, if people don't buy this (forget if it'll be good or bad) you know they won't make a new Strider again due to "no interest".

Well, considering the track record of DH, I think it's pretty reasonable to be skeptical about whether or not they're a good studio to give the game to. I haven't jumped into the "This is gonna suck" camp just yet, but there are a few things that bother me a bit from what footage has been shown so far (The damage sponge aspect in particular), and I think that's definitely worth discussing.

Midou

Certain teams, devs, etc are enough to make some people not excited for certain games, it's understandable. DH has this opportunity and KI to improve their reputation at the very least.

Yeah, it does feel a lot like Bionic Commando: Reloaded. Which I liked quite a bit, but then BC was probably my favorite NES game.

I think they need to tone down the flashes a lot, and tighten up the combat. The energy scarf is also silly. My guess is they didn't want the performance hit of a convincing, flowing polygon scarf. I think it has potential to be fun though.

Tain

For the record, I'd be similarly skeptical of Rocksteady making a 2D Strider. Not that it matters, since the footage is there and doesn't instill confidence.

A lot of people have reported great things about the demos DH has taken around. Different strokes for different folks.

Who's these "lots"? Paid reporters and some handful of bias
paid
gamers who can't really say something bad about the game? No, I'll wait until legit players give honest feedback about the game. The same thing happened with COD:Declassified with the Vita and we all seen how that went. Honest, feedback

Ghazi

Guys, he wasn't going down in health, obviously the final game won't be like that.

I did like the way it looked though and I feel like 2.5 is great! Open world and Metroidvania are also great.

I agree that there are tons of particle effects and bloom going on the screen though.

Mr. X

I'm the only one who dectected a malware from oxtongue/Gaf/strider? "Banner and boxart" it says

I got it too.

Confused how people are saying Double Helix is good now look at how nice their UNRELEASED GAME Killer Instinct LOOKS and being completely serious.

Hattori

Banned
It looks bad gameplay wise and graphically. I don't if its just a bad demo but that was very boring and monotonous. And graphically it doesn't look good, everything looked drab and uneventful, and that last dragon boss was just awful looking. I hope they listen to criticism and overhaul this game right now because it's bad, but they have until 2014 to change it up and polish everything, hopefully.

Top Bottom