• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strider (Capcom/Double Helix, PC/PS4/XB1/PS360, 2014) [Open World, Orig Devs, Video]

Nickoten

Neo Member
They're a C-tier developer with a history of messing up established franchises. The shitting is justified.

No to mention that their comments on the project kind of imply they don't really understand much of what made the original games fun. 30 minutes of content? Direct comparisons to Strider 1 but no real comparison to the more recent game? Giving Strider a laser scarf to "ground him"? Pretty much everything is stacked against this being good.

Also, why does the title of this thread say "original devs"? That seems a bit misleading when they specified the enemy art designer from the original and the Super Ghouls and Ghosts team (and those are great games, but not the same as Strider).

Is there any source for this? I know for a fact that Grin and Fatshark were close (shared the same complex at one point I think) but the only thing after Grin as far as I know is the lead engineers working with Fatshark to form BitSquid while the head people went on to create Overkill Software.

http://shogungamer.com/news/bionic-...action-bionic-commando-rearmed-2-videoscreens

I thought I read somewhere that they were (which would make sense), but looks like there's only "a few" members.

Either way, not the "key members", as Rearmed 2 was a bit lacking.

Point being, you can't judge a book by its cover or a developer by its track record. It's all about the individuals TBH.

No to mention that their comments on the project kind of imply they don't really understand much of what made the original games fun. 30 minutes of content? Direct comparisons to Strider 1 but no real comparison to the more recent game? Giving Strider a laser scarf to "ground him"? Pretty much everything is stacked against this being good.

Also, why does the title of this thread say "original devs"? That seems a bit misleading when they specified the enemy art designer from the original and the Super Ghouls and Ghosts team (and those are great games, but not the same as Strider).

Can you point to the article where DH is talking? I haven't read the things your saying and I'm curious what they have to say for themselves?

Nickoten

Neo Member
Can you point to the article where DH is talking? I haven't read the things your saying and I'm curious what they have to say for themselves?

Sure! Here's an interview with the Producer, who I assume is a Capcom rep:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/07/3...d-how-the-ps4xbox-one-versions-are-different/

This particular quote is pretty funny:

AS: Speed isn’t directly related to responsiveness. In fact, speed makes it more responsive, so that wasn’t a concern.

And here's another interview with the producers:

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/s...swers-about-capcom-39-s-new-strider-game.aspx

Here's where one of the quotes came from:

One of the initial challenges is that both of the first two games were coin-op games, and they were all about quarter munching. They were super difficult so you’d die often and have to keep putting in money. If you played them start to finish, they’re both 30-45 minutes long. How do you take that and turn it into a six-hour console game?

Which kind of implies this guy never actually tried to get good at the game, and instead just used unlimited continues to blow through it and say he experienced it. So to lengthen the experience, they're adding Metroid elements to pad the length out, more or less.

I mean I'm not saying I can see the future or anything. This game could very well be pretty decent. It's just the track record combined with the kinds of things they're saying in interview are not painting the best picture.

One of the initial challenges is that both of the first two games were coin-op games, and they were all about quarter munching. They were super difficult so you’d die often and have to keep putting in money. If you played them start to finish, they’re both 30-45 minutes long. How do you take that and turn it into a six-hour console game?

is the dude at double helix a scrublord?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I guess 1 felt too floaty for me. Hiryu jumps rather too high there compared to his more modest jumping in 2.

And kinda pissed that Namco X Capcom made Strider Hiryu's moveset much closer to his games than the versus series did.

Strider releases in Japan on February 22nd, 2014.

Oh, and not only are they getting a physical release [PS3 only] - but check out the limited edition version: LINK

Here is the Japanese Official Site as well: LINK

Judging by the preview of the included 3-CD "Strider Sound Chronicle", apparently it mixes both the Strider arcade games with the NES version as well [so far, I've heard Egypt and Kazakh remixes]!

It is a "Sound Chronicle" though; so Capcom could be including the NES game's soundtrack with it and there could be a remix section.

Sound Chronicle sample :LINK [the NES mixes start at :56]

S1kkZ

After Killer Instinct, I have full faith in this game.

killer instinct proves that double helix can make a good-great game, i just dont trust capcom with this one (they provide the money and set the development schedule). if you dont get enough time and/or money, well...

After Killer Instinct, I have full faith in this game.

I have a feeling that this game will impress even more than Killer Instinct.

Capcom Japan seems to think so too - the last time they released an e-Capcom Limited Edition for a classic title was for the "Dungeons & Dragon's" arcade games:

A100042721010.jpg

As you can see, it is very lavish and caters to the super-fan, but also it shows that they are extremely proud of this title to give it such an elegant edition.They must also have a lot of confidence in this new Strider game, as It is also receiving the coveted e-Capcom Limited Edition treatment:

A100044961010.jpg

"Strider Hiryu A-Class Limited Edition"

Also, it seems like a lot of the art for the game was done in Japan by the original Osaka team [judging by the anime concept art shown on the official site] which also inspires my confidence in this game.

Nickoten

Neo Member
Speaking of Osaka team, I still find it troublingly misleading that we still have "Orig Devs" in the title. That's a flat out untrue statement.

Speaking of Osaka team, I still find it troublingly misleading that we still have "Orig Devs" in the title. That's a flat out untrue statement.

Hopefully they did more than we know or even assume - maybe they did most of everything and Double Helix just assembled the game at their offices. ;)

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Heh, its to my everlasting shame that I was indirectly responsible for the monstrosity known as Strider 2/Strider Returns.

Now before you all start cursing me, let me explain exactly how this came about, because its kind of a funny story.

I joined Tiertex in about 1990 (sorry to be imprecise, its a long ass time ago) on the recommendation of a friend who was working on the Atari ST port of Strider. At that time I was a c64 coder and initially expected to be put on doing a port of some arcade property which was that company's bread and butter.

As it turned out, all the other projects were staffed up (back then it was one coder, per project max) so I spent the first few months expanding out a little project I used as my example work. I mention this only because of what happened with that project precipitated my departure from the company after only 6 months or so.

Long story short me and my friend were also working on ST project called T.O.R (which was short for Transforming Overland Robot) the basic idea of which was that the game was basically setup as a series of horizontally scrolling gauntlets where the idea was that there would be these "ambush" areas where the only way to get through them was using the robot both because it could take more damage than a human could, but also that it could interface with defenses allowing you to "look ahead" into offscreen areas and shut down threats before you ran into them.

It was kind of a thin idea, but Andy had drawn what we thought was a sweet-looking robot and we were trying to figure out how to use it in a project. Being lead artist on strider, we just nicked some assets from that game to act as a place-holder for the human version of T.O.R, while we were fleshing it out.

As things turned out, our little side-project got some attention from the bosses, who kept adding in helpful suggestions like... making it more like Strider. I was kind of appalled as the having a tank-like robot character was only really suitable for a horizontally scrolling experience, and it seemed neccessary for the "look ahead" mechanic we'd been discussing.

Long story short, at one point I snapped and go to the boss, "why don't you just call it Strider 2, and be done with it?". At which point I see a lightbulb pop over his stupid head and him say, "now there's an idea!".

I was not impressed, and given how they'd been messing me about over my other project -which I'd brought to them in an almost complete form and was now finished, but they were simply going to sit on, and not allow me to do anything with- ended up with me issuing an ultimatum about them giving me more money or I'd walk....

Ahh, the arrogance of youth. Anyway, long story short I walked, and a few months later out comes Strider 2 with random robot element...

Looking back, for such as short stint at a place (not much more than 6 months if I recall) its left me with a lot of memories, many of which are far too scurrilous to repeat.

But yeah, Strider fucking returns... that's how it came about.

I've been on a Strider kick lately, and after hearing positive impressions of Killer Instinct (Which in all honesty, I was expecting to be a dud before release), I'm a bit more hopeful for this game. Might not be the fast paced arcade-y experience I got from Strider 2, but I still think it looks decent. I should really re-play Strider NES one of these days.

Long story short, at one point I snapped and go to the boss, "why don't you just call it Strider 2, and be done with it?". At which point I see a lightbulb pop over his stupid head and him say, "now there's an idea!".

This is the best thing I've read in ages. Great read!

I'm only worried about the game's length and the locations featured in the game.

I sincerely hope that it isn't set completely in the snowy reaches of Kazakh. it needs to have the Neo-Japan/China rainy city and the Amazon Jungle to make it perfect. ;)

Alpende

DAMMIT. I was at the last battle with Meio on Hard and the game crashes. No I have to start the entire goddamn tower part again. WHAT THE FUCK. I'm getting tired of this shit.

EDIT: not the OT.

leroidys

Heh, its to my everlasting shame that I was indirectly responsible for the monstrosity known as Strider 2/Strider Returns.

Now before you all start cursing me, let me explain exactly how this came about, because its kind of a funny story.

I joined Tiertex in about 1990 (sorry to be imprecise, its a long ass time ago) on the recommendation of a friend who was working on the Atari ST port of Strider. At that time I was a c64 coder and initially expected to be put on doing a port of some arcade property which was that company's bread and butter.

As it turned out, all the other projects were staffed up (back then it was one coder, per project max) so I spent the first few months expanding out a little project I used as my example work. I mention this only because of what happened with that project precipitated my departure from the company after only 6 months or so.

Long story short me and my friend were also working on ST project called T.O.R (which was short for Transforming Overland Robot) the basic idea of which was that the game was basically setup as a series of horizontally scrolling gauntlets where the idea was that there would be these "ambush" areas where the only way to get through them was using the robot both because it could take more damage than a human could, but also that it could interface with defenses allowing you to "look ahead" into offscreen areas and shut down threats before you ran into them.

It was kind of a thin idea, but Andy had drawn what we thought was a sweet-looking robot and we were trying to figure out how to use it in a project. Being lead artist on strider, we just nicked some assets from that game to act as a place-holder for the human version of T.O.R, while we were fleshing it out.

As things turned out, our little side-project got some attention from the bosses, who kept adding in helpful suggestions like... making it more like Strider. I was kind of appalled as the having a tank-like robot character was only really suitable for a horizontally scrolling experience, and it seemed neccessary for the "look ahead" mechanic we'd been discussing.

I was not impressed, and given how they'd been messing me about over my other project -which I'd brought to them in an almost complete form and was now finished, but they were simply going to sit on, and not allow me to do anything with- ended up with me issuing an ultimatum about them giving me more money or I'd walk....

Ahh, the arrogance of youth. Anyway, long story short I walked, and a few months later out comes Strider 2 with random robot element...

Looking back, for such as short stint at a place (not much more than 6 months if I recall) its left me with a lot of memories, many of which are far too scurrilous to repeat.

But yeah, Strider fucking returns... that's how it came about.

Sorry for the necro, but this is an awesome bit of gaming history. Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom