• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strider (Capcom/Double Helix, PC/PS4/XB1/PS360, 2014) [Open World, Orig Devs, Video]

Dahbomb

Not sure what makes Max so untrustworthy all of a sudden but I trust the opinions of those who played the game over those who haven't. Along with how the game keeps looking better and better everytime they show it.
I trust Max after he has finished the full game... not when the game is in hype/preview mode. I mean he was hyping up Aliens CM and DmC before release... although at least he gave Aliens CM the correct amount of shit at release date that it deserved.

Outside or ORC ,( Aliens: CM and Dragon Age 2) most of the OTs are massive circle jerks.

And it isn't just Double Helix. It's Double Helix + Cacpcom. The company that has spent the better part of the generation disappointing its fans with Bionic Commando, DMC4, DmC, Lost Planet 2 (and soon to be 3), ORC, RE6 and SFxT. I'm mildly optimistic about the game, but I'm certainly not surprised that people aren't particularly hopeful given DH's pedigree and Capcom's recent track record.

Not talking about the OTs. Thankfully by then all of the haters are gone lol as most of the time only the fanatics care enough...that would be pretty sad to keeping talking shit on a game you don't care for lol.

As for Capcom, yeah they messed up but to me they also gave me some of the best games this gen in Dogma, SFIV and to me at least DMC4.

charsace

This is for all of you youngsters born in the last twenty years. :/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs2Q-_8zuAU

That is a fucking abomination. I know since I had it. :(
This is the good console strider:
strider-genesis.jpg

If people decide they're not going to look at another piece of media or another article/interview, then sure. That's unreasonable. But no one here is going to do that, even if they say they are (unless they already had complete apathy for the Strider brand, in which case it still doesn't make a difference).

People should complain right now if they want to because this is the best time to get your voice heard. And yes, complaining in public forums, complaining in DH forums, complaining on Capcom's forums... it all matters. It creates buzz, either positive or negative, about certain aspects of this upcoming title.

And people can continue to bash Double Helix because, again, they've made shit. Maybe some of it was out of their control, but it's still in their closet. With regard to KI impressions, everyone that tries out a new game, especially one with next gen graphics, will probably be smitted at first. People acted that way with SFxT, too. I'm not saying KI is the same, but I'm also saying that positive initial impressions don't really hold as much weight anymore.

I think pre-release pre-emptive negativity can be a very good thing. There are plenty of public forums that are probably gushing and won't contribute a lick to making Strider a better game.

It's also silly to just leave Double Helix to their own devices and just hope for the best. I say go ahead and let people shit on DH and their games; if that doesn't provide ample motivation for them to step up and prove their critics wrong, then they aren't worth the benefit of the doubt.

Ok. This makes sense.

Hopefully they hear the complaints and take them to heart then.

Personally I think this looks cool and most of the flaws seem to be based off of a demo on god mode.

but we will see.

gunstarhero

Damn - I didn't realize there was 7 minutes of gameplay video out there.

I'm not digging the bullet sponge crap going on - they should go with 6 hit kill system (and 3 for taking heavy hits like swords or missiles).

Everything else about the game looks great.

gioGAF

I was so hyped, until I found out about the Double Helix involvement :-(

I really hope they can deliver on Strider, even though they have never delivered on anything else.

gunstarhero

I was so hyped, until I found out about the Double Helix involvement :-(

I really hope they can deliver on Strider, even though they have never delivered on anything else.

I thought I read DH's involvement was minimal on this thread, and that Capcom was doing all the design...

Anyone confirm this?

Duxxy3

I like the idea of the game, but until Double Helix makes a good game I will assume anything with their name on it is shit.

The Hermit

Honestly, this looks like a pretty safe, low-risk, low-ambition project that a lot of people will like, just like the GBA/DS Castlevanias. A Metroidvania that gets decent review scores is not a tricky thing to make. The only way I'd consider a meal of crow is if this turns out to be a tightly-designed arcade masterpiece full of bombastic setpieces. Which, well, is clearly not what this is designed to be.

x5soefwt5jmg.gif

Aria, Circle, Ecclesia are better than Symphony, or at least, comparable.

This game looks like Shadow Complex, but somehow less appealing.

duckroll

I thought it was a nice change of pace actually. The open world fits a lot better than the old select a level menu imo.

^
See, this is the sort of audience Capcom and Double Helix are going after. It's not even worth discussing the issue when there's a fundamental disagreement about the core of the issue. :)

nded

DH were gods a week ago

What? If this is referring to KI, then that was mostly people being pleasantly surprised at how well they were handling a fighting game franchise which, let's be honest, didn't have a very good reputation in the first place.

Gbraga

While I don't think this title is doomed, it's better to eat crow than to sit back complacently while a franchise is ruined.

Seriously. Fuck people who say, "play the game first". It's too late, then, dumbass.

Yes, I agree with that. I just wish more people would offer constructive criticism like some we've read on this thread. You can say Double Helix sucks while you're at it, but if you just leave it at that, you're not helping them improve (assuming you want the game to be good), and they already showed that at least they care about fan feedback.

If they care as much for Strider as they do for KI, those posts shitting on the game but saying why they think it's bad will probably help make the game better.

If they zoom out the camera and come out and say "hey guys, it was just for demo purposes, the game won't be easy mode bullet sponge", both the camera adjustment and the statement will be because of people criticising it, not blindly following.

I do think some people are being way too harsh, but they have all the right to if they so desire, instead of trying to convince them they shouldn't feel how they feel, we should talk about what we do and don't like, offering good feedback that can improve the game.

I really liked the trailer and gameplay footage, and I'm very excited for it, but I hope they listen to the people that have complains about it, not me. If they wanna listen to me, then listen when I say the camera doesn't work the way it is right now with all those offscreen shots coming at you. If they "fix" (since we don't know how it is in the actual game) the bullet sponge but don't bring the camera back (or maybe remove offscreen shots? I don't know how I feel about that though), it'll be cheap imo

Dahbomb

I don't really care if its "open" world you are still going from rooms to rooms, rooftop to rooftop in a linear fashion like a Strider game. It's really about the game play, how it controls, how it feels, the speed, the difficulty level and of course the level plus boss designs. Strider enemies are 90% generic fodder enemies like in most arcade games, it's really about the bosses.

Game is still almost a year out, it will get more polish most likely.

Gbraga

Outside or ORC ,( Aliens: CM and Dragon Age 2) most of the OTs are massive circle jerks.

And it isn't just Double Helix. It's Double Helix + Cacpcom. The company that has spent the better part of the generation disappointing its fans with Bionic Commando, DMC4, DmC, Lost Planet 2 (and soon to be 3), ORC, RE6 and SFxT. I'm mildly optimistic about the game, but I'm certainly not surprised that people aren't particularly hopeful given DH's pedigree and Capcom's recent track record.

woah woah woah easy there.

I also liked RE6 and Bionic Commando, but I can fully understand why most people would not, but DMC4? Get outta here.

When they did the live demo of it in the panel, they didn't really give information about what was coming. They just said here is a surprise, check out this live demo. They didn't show the Double Helix logo until the end. Watching it like that I thought it looked great. The bullet sponge stuff is due to the live demo. They wanted to show off some of the combat like bullet deflection and having it be a normal difficulty may have been too much for the time allotted if they failed (which he did) and died. You could tell this was still early and that everything in the demo (and by extension the trailer) was built specifically to show off the concept. Sort of like the original Bioshock Infinite gameplay trailer. He constantly received upgrades like Ouroboros and all the Cypher power ups. The area was designed to show off a lot of the ideas they have.

My only issue with it is I think some of the upgrades will be redundant and uninspired. I like how he has all his movement from Strider 2, but I feel in not limiting him, they had to add some lame power ups like the plasma properties to the Cypher to accommodate what we expect from the genre now. I still prefer that to limiting his moves though. I'd hate it if double jump or wall cling were upgrades I have to find.

I think going into it with an open mind and not being tainted by the Double Helix logo gave me a radically different perspective than what seems to be the majority here. It looks fun to me and I can't wait to play. Also, cool Strider scarf give-a-way yeah!

baphomet

I don't really care if its "open" world you are still going from rooms to rooms, rooftop to rooftop in a linear fashion like a Strider game. It's really about the game play, how it controls, how it feels, the speed, the difficulty level and of course the level plus boss designs. Strider enemies are 90% generic fodder enemies like in most arcade games, it's really about the bosses.

Game is still almost a year out, it will get more polish most likely.

At least having an open world will give the game a much longer playtime. People seem to forget that the level based Strider games could be completed in less than half an hour easily. Strider 1 probably half of that.

At least having an open world will give the game a much longer playtime. People seem to forget that the level based Strider games could be completed in less than half an hour easily. Strider 1 probably half of that.

Only if you credit feed.

I'm sure they could make the game a respectable 4-5 hours and keep the linear, set piece-driven style, if they wanted.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Man, I hope this is like Shadow Complex with ninjas. I never played Strider (though I did like him in MvC2), so I have no ties to the past.

I can see how fans would be worried, though.

Except for the fact that KI doesn't really play like SF and from the impressions of people who did play it, it feels like KI. Those who tried to play it like SF got their asses handed to them.

Not sure what makes Max so untrustworthy all of a sudden but I trust the opinions of those who played the game over those who haven't. Along with how the game keeps looking better and better everytime they show it.

Max gets hype over everything. He is a great guy for the FGC but just because Max likes it and is hyped, doesnt mean anything.

sleepykyo

woah woah woah easy there.

I also liked RE6 and Bionic Commando, but I can fully understand why most people would not, but DMC4? Get outta here.

Sleepykyo thinks Capcom killed DMC and the first step was releasing DMC4. lol

I like DMC4 (and SFxT) too for that matter. I'm just acknowledging NT fans' assertion that the backtracking in DMC4 left a sour taste and that may have left some buyers predisposed to avoiding DmC.

MormaPope

Banned
Realized something, why doesn't Capcom release a Strider pack for XBLA, PSN, and Steam? A pack that has every Strider game for like $15 or $20.

abadguy

Banned
Max gets hype over everything. He is a great guy for the FGC but just because Max likes it and is hyped, doesnt mean anything.

That's nice except Max isn't the only one hyped for it, nor was he the only one to give good impressions of the game. So all these people praising it are apparently wrong ( or paid off according to some) because seeing all these people say it's not shit makes hit harder to dismiss.

But a lot of folks are stating that KI is pretty damn good. Max isn't a shill. Dude is a hardcore ass KI fan. And many other gaffers have said the same.

Give it a chance.

KI may turn out good, maybe. I am not holding my breath. Sure max says its good, but as he is getting more and more limelight i am not trusting his opinion. Pockets can be lined. As for fellow gaffers, hell it may be good, i still stand my by opinion though. My spidey sense is tingling.....no wait that is a mosquito bite. Damn Texas weather.

Top Bottom