• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strider (Capcom/Double Helix, PC/PS4/XB1/PS360, 2014) [Open World, Orig Devs, Video]

From what I've heard, Double Helix is doing "grunt work" for design being done by Capcom's Japan studio.

The thing is, though, this reeks of quality. Great animation with a variety of poses and character. Great enemy designs. Great hit detection, and ways of traversing the environment. Fast-paced gameplay or the option to be stealthy.

FlyFaster

Just watched the "gameplay" video. Well if you can even call it gameplay.

You just run forward and it doesn't matter if you get hit. I have a pit in my stomach now.

I thought this was going to be 3D like Batman Arkham City, since that game is kind of Metroid style. But this is just run forward blindly and who gives a shit if you get hit.

Really hoping that this is just a demo and he has infinite life or something because this is incredibly stupid.

edit:

is the whole game going to take place against gray fucking backgrounds? Without a doubt the most bland, characterless color.

MormaPope

Banned
So is this a full retail release or a $20/$15 release? Also, will probably get it day one, only played a tiny bit of Strider 2 but a console metroidvania game is right up my alley. Sucks for big Strider fans though if the game is nothing like past Striders.

Nice! I mentioned wanting another Strider game either this or last week in the Video Game Ninja thread. Metroidvania-styled makes me excited as well. Nothing can stop this hype trai-oh it's Double Helix.

Castef

Banned
tumblr_m3usazdWV41qhcq3b.gif

Ok, now I'm happy.

Also, the original designers returned for this, so I'm quite confident.

I'll stop asking for a new Darkstalkers and Demon's Crest 2 for a while.

From what I've heard, Double Helix is doing "grunt work" for design being done by Capcom's Japan studio.

The thing is, though, this reeks of quality. Great animation with a variety of poses and character. Great enemy designs. Great hit detection, and ways of traversing the environment. Fast-paced gameplay or the option to be stealthy.

This is called spin to try to turn public perception around.

You just run forward and it doesn't matter if you get hit. I have a pit in my stomach now.

I thought this was going to be 3D like Batman Arkham City, since that game is kind of Metroid style. But this is just run forward blindly and who gives a shit if you get hit.

Really hoping that this is just a demo and he has infinite life or something because this is incredibly stupid.

edit:

is the whole game going to take place against gray fucking backgrounds? Without a doubt the most bland, characterless color.
I also noticed the lack of penalty for getting hit. I'm hoping it was just for the demo so they can show off the effects and shit, because if its just run to the right and sometimes left with no difficulty I'll be sad face.

Raitaro

"Heroes never die. They are reborn" (from the trailer), except when these heroes are called Mega Man because then they get cancelled (...yeah I know this is getting old...).

I for one AM excited for the new Strider, even if it is co-developed by Double Helix (who I have grown to appreciate quite a bit more because of their sincere enthusiasm for and quality work so far on KI - though it is quite a coincedence that these relatively unknown guys managed to take hold of not one but TWO long dormant classic franchises that are beloved by many, isn't it?).

More importantly I hope that the new Strider symbolizes Capcom's refound willingness to revisit their old franchises. After the return to Bionic Commando partly burned down due to the mediocre 3D game by Grin, I was afraid that this would have permanently ended the chance of Strider, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Darkstalkers or, heck, even Son Son, Captain Commando and Mega Man (X) to ever get rebooted.

Now let's just hope that this game will turn out great and that people will flock to it so Capcom can have these other dormant heroes / franchises be reborn as well!

Raitaro

Here's my gut reaction:

You know what this game needs? A Heart. Style. Energy. Emotion. It needs a semblance of it existing among a crowded market of side scrollers. It looks consistently lifeless. Like a videogame where the enemies all went on break and the building crew didn't bother finishing the architecture. The animations lack the speed and adrenaline that you'd come to expect from this IP. Still I'm playing optimistic that this is just really early and things may change...hopefully drastically. Right now, It's not enough.

Yeah..after watching the trailer again, I kinda have to admit that you are hitting the nail on the head here (despite my previously stated overall optimism for Strider's return). In general, many developers seem to struggle with making 2.5D graphics that are actually as colorful, eye-popping and full of charm and life as the old sprite-based games. Even Nintendo has not mastered it fully yet with the Mario games (nor Capcom/Dimps with Street Fighter IV, though they've come closer).

Strange when you think about it, that this might be one of the few areas that modern games can't always seem to simply improve upon when compared to their ancestors: art and aesthetics.

edit:

This and in 3 minutes he gained 3 upgrades, making me believe this game won't be longer than 5 hours.

IrishNinja

This and in 3 minutes he gained 3 upgrades, making me believe this game won't be longer than 5 hours.

yeah, im admittedly going in expecting about Strider 2 length...hopefully longer but i did so love 2, however short it was! replayed the crap out of that one

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Didn't you hear? Open world is the new industry buzz word. Everything must be open world!

Seriously, kinda bummed.

Strider has never been about free-roaming. It's about clearing structured stages and netting high scores. 1 was simple but 2 amped it up a lot.

Also I am shocked only few people played 2.

gunstarhero

Solid start - they nailed the look.

Looks a little slow compared to Strider 2 (arcade), but that just might be the clips they chose to show.

Can't wait for this game!

Fabrik

Banned
Never knew there was a Strider 2. After watching some videos of it, the new game seems very close.
At the moment the character seems invincible though, don't know if it was for demo purpose.

george01

Banned
many developers seem to struggle with making 2.5D graphics that are actually as colorful, eye-popping and full of charm and life as the old sprite-based games.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Never knew there was a Strider 2. After watching some videos of it, the new game seems very close.
At the moment the character seems invincible though, don't know if it was for demo purpose.

There were two Strider 2s. One by US GOLD for the Genesis that was absolute shit, and the Playstation Strider 2 that was great.

I know a lot of people are excited, and I LOVE the character, but c'mon...the first Strider wasn't that good.

Hmm, it is Strider Hiryu.
Stridervania was just what I wanted from a reboot, not some DMC-ish 3d slasher.

And Strider 2 was rubbish.

radcliff

I spoke with a few members of Double Helix about Wii U and they said they can port it "if there's a demand for it."

Right. Just like SFIV would be ported to Wii if there was demand for it. How exaclty are Wii U owners supposed to show demand for this game? Miiverse?

Top Bottom