• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 6: fap without fear thread (GONE GOLD)

DrDogg

Backflip said:

Why do the covers (and trailer for that matter) all say T6 instead of T6 BR?

PSP version also only says T6...

LowParry

kage said:
Wh.. where is Lars and the new girl? where are the new stages? is the console version coming this fall based on Tekken 6 vanilla?? only BR element I see is the motion blur..
Please say it ain't so... :<

Patience :) It will be T6: BR no doubt.

_dementia said:
Wow, I wonder where they got the idea of incorporating multi-tiered environments into the fighting game genre?

From Mortal Kombat 3. :p

Anyway, watching those videos reminds me of why Tekken is my favorite fighting game series.

CcrooK said:

Ugh, they still have those goddamn sparks? The hit detection in the Tekken games seems so last last gen, in fact -- it is last, last gen. From the animation to the movements.

I haven't followed Tekken 6, but the impression I got from those videos was weak. The game looks so rigid. Meh.

I've stopped playing Tekken to move onto better things (I.,e virtua fighter) and it looks like I haven't missed much, this game doesn't looks so hot. Is anythign changed, the visual style, animation, hit detection, effects, all seem teh same bullshit since Tekken fuckin 2?! Oh wait, there is that fat guy and Arab chick right? Anything new to the game? Any new mechanics - or is it just a few more characters with each having a few more moves and annoying ass 500 hit infinite jab-jab-jab, kick, ground attack juggle dial me a combo chains.

LowParry

C- Warrior said:
I've stopped playing Tekken to move onto better things (I.,e virtua fighter) and it looks like I haven't missed much, this game doesn't looks so hot. Is anythign changed, the visual style, animation, hit detection, effects, all seem teh same bullshit since Tekken fuckin 2?! Oh wait, there is that fat guy and Arab chick right? Anything new to the game? Any new mechanics - or is it just a few more characters with each having a few more moves and annoying ass 500 hit infinite jab-jab-jab, kick, ground attack juggle dial me a combo chains.

And...never mind. Just never mind. :lol Not getting into a fan pissfest over this.

C- Warrior said:
Ugh, they still have those goddamn sparks? The hit detection in the Tekken games seems so last last gen, in fact -- it is last, last gen. From the animation to the movements.

I haven't followed Tekken 6, but the impression I got from those videos was weak. The game looks so rigid. Meh.

As a fellow fan of Virtua Fighter I have to tell you that with Tekken 6, the animation debate isn't even a contest. Shit, Version B. of VF5R is still playing catchup in that area.

abstract alien said:
Guess I was too late with the post speed, I came to say this :lol

The MK3 thing? ;)

New interview here

http://www.gamespot.com/events/namcobandai09/story.html?sid=6208886

He mentions that they'll have something in the online mode for those that aren't so good at Tekken. He also mentions that instead of there being a mini game (like Tekken Bowling/Volleyball) there will be one big new mode. But he didn't go into specifics.

SolidSnakex said:
The MK3 thing? ;)

New interview here

http://www.gamespot.com/events/namcobandai09/story.html?sid=6208886

He mentions that they'll have something in the online mode for those that aren't so good at Tekken. He also mentions that instead of there being a mini game (like Tekken Bowling/Volleyball) there will be one big new mode. But he didn't go into specifics.
Yep, mk3 ftw

Probably another tekken force, as far as the new mode goes.

C- Warrior said:

I'll let Arnold field this one...
in_gtfo.jpg

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
C- Warrior said:

All 40 Virtua Fighter players in America agree with this post.

Im not sure how anyone can make a bad statement about tekken's animation. Hell, since tekken 5, it went down in history as some of the best. Tekken 6 did nothing but solidify that, as its animation is stellar. Regardless of you liking it or not, the animation cant really be denied.

i think they keep the same crappy animations because the leet players would be pissed if the cheesy juggle timing gets changed?

otherwise i have really no idea why we still have the crap Machima(sp?) animation in the game still.

having said that a DMC fan should not be commenting of games not changing....

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Kabuki Waq said:
otherwise i have really no idea why we still have the crap Machima(sp?) animation in the game still.
I dunno, when I look at martial artists in action (rather than stuff you see in films), the animation in Tekken seems to offer the closet approximation. Seriously.

DrDogg

Happy belated birthday MarkMan!

I can say, with the utmost confidence, that Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion is the deepest fighting game to date.

Having played all weekend (again), I'm really amazed at what Namco has done with BR. Every other Tekken (even T6 Vanilla), most people play characters the exact same way. You won't see two different Steve strategies for example. There are only a handful of attacks used in high level play.

With BR, I saw four different high level Steve players with four different strategies, using four different sets of mainstay attacks. Obviously there was some cross over, but it was ridiculous to see such a HUGE variety of strategies available, especially at high levels of play.

BR is also the best looking and best animated fighter on the market, although I have yet to see VF5r in person so I can't make a fair comparison there. I don't think anyone sane would say VF5r looks better than T6 BR though.

Still disappointed Namco is just calling it T6 on home consoles. I see nothing wrong with the subtitle.

Monocle

Kabuki Waq said:
i think they keep the same crappy animations because the leet players would be pissed if the cheesy juggle timing gets changed?

So much is wrong with this post. Let me respond with three points.

1) Tekken has excellent animation. It is crisp and energetic, especially in T5 onward. Very few fighting games capture a sense of solidity and weight in their characters. Tekken does, despite a juggling system that unapologetically defies physics.

2) Animation is subordinate to move timing. You highlight your ignorance with the laughable suggestion that it could be the other way around. T5:DR introduced many animation changes that have no effect on move timing. This is perhaps most evident in Nina.

3) DMC has undergone fundamental changes over the course of its history, from a nearly 180 degree shift in tone between DMC and DMC4 to a massively overhauled combat system.

Kabuki Waq said:

Please expand on this.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
C- Warrior said:
Amazing argument. Fabulous.

It wasn't an argument. It is not worth arguing.

It was an attempt to jab at the Virtua Fighter community (which I do have love for and am a part of myself)....

It is also the truth.

DrDogg said:
Happy belated birthday MarkMan!

Thanks B!

LowParry

MarkMan said:

It was an attempt to jab at the Virtua Fighter community (which I do have love for and am a part of myself)....

It is also the truth.

Don't start the fire! :lol

Kabuki Waq said:

....huh?

As others have pointed, what the flying fuck does DMC have to do with this?

Anyway, all I'm saying is that some of these videos that I see of Tekken 6 look very similar to the previous ones. Kazuya's low kick from Tekken 2 and his from Tekken 6 can be overlapped (somebody should do a .gif of comparing these two) and everything is the same. The litlte spark that comes, how the other character seems to hop up from a juggle even though you lightly kicked his left foot as he was falling down from a massive uppercut etc. etc., it just look a little stiff. The individual animations are great, I'm talking about transitions and the like. I think Dead or Alive 4 probably does the best in this regard.

I like Tekken, I really do. I've bought my share of Tekken games. I just want to know what's different, how and why does this game look so much more appealing than Virtua Fighter 5, or Dead or Alive 4, or Tekken 5 (outside of poly's and textures).

Bear in mind this is like my second post at NEOGAF in 5 years regarding Tekken. I'm really not trying to troll or piss anyone off.

MarkMan said:

It is also the truth.

Thanks B!

Didn't Virtua Fighter 4 + VF4:EVO sell more than Tekken 5, and also receive higher review scores, and is regarded as the more balanced, competitive fighter?

I always thought the general analogy was that Virtua Fighter is to Street Fighter, as Tekken is to Mortal Kombat. Or was that Dead or Alive. I don't know, I just know that slogan gets passed on those 3LITE fighting forums like SRK.

So really, what makes Tekken more appealing than Virtua Fighter. That's what I want to know. I played a lot of Tekken 2 and 3, Tekken 4 left a bad taste and stop with the series then. And then I started to get into Virtua Fighter with part 4 and really loved it. Why should I go back to Tekken 6, did they fix the retarded bullshit that was Tekken 4? (i.e, uneven grounds, getting trapped in a wall so you get 10 combo hit mashed and lose 80% of your life... etc.)

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I don't want to explain it, but sounds like you don't know Tekken anymore.

Give it a try.

And what makes it more appealing than VF? It's all preference.

Tekken and Virtua Fighter are arcade fighters... Let's look at the place where they are most popular (Japan). Which one is King and has been King there for the last 4 years?

Word.

Console sales numbers. lol.

VF is balanced, but only to an extent... as is Tekken.

More competitive? If 40-50 people keeping the 'scene' alive is competitive (mind you this was during the game's peak) at EVO, then I think it should be compared to Dead or Alive 4 instead in terms of popularity with the fighting game community.

C- Warrior said:
Didn't Virtua Fighter 4 + VF4:EVO sell more than Tekken 5
Uh, No

According to Hollywood Reporter via Namco, Tekken 1, 2, 4, and 5 all sold between 3 and 4 million each, and Tekken 3 sold roughly 7 million worldwide.

The best selling VF isn't even VF4, it's VF2, and that sold about 2 million.

VF5 probably did under 250k on PS3 and 360 combined. Their first month was only ~53k (PS3) and ~52k NPD (360) and the Famitsu has the 360 version at only 13k lifetime-to-date.

Barrett2

Looks fun. I haven't been into Tekken in quite a while, but SF4 has hyped me for fighters again.

Im' just not that into the art / character design. Too much pointy hair.

Eiji

SolidSnakex said:
He also mentions that instead of there being a mini game (like Tekken Bowling/Volleyball) there will be one big new mode. But he didn't go into specifics.

I so hope its Tekken RPG!

DrDogg

lawblob said:
Looks fun. I haven't been into Tekken in quite a while, but SF4 has hyped me for fighters again.

Im' just not that into the art / character design. Too much pointy hair.

Good thing you can change the hair style of every character in the game!

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Yes, there was a Jungle stage in T4, although that one had undulation.

The vid was from Bloodline Rebellion, which the console version will be based off of.

Even through that video, you can't grasp how it looks in real life. Seeing it with full blur and 60fps = way better...

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
MarkMan said:
Yes, there was a Jungle stage in T4, although that one had undulation.

The vid was from Bloodline Rebellion, which the console version will be based off of.

Even through that video, you can't grasp how it looks in real life. Seeing it with full blur and 60fps = way better...

Looked hot to me. The music is very cool as well. <3 Tekken music.

Erebus

I didn't say it looks bad, just not impressive enough especially after all these years. They shouldn't have delayed the console ports for so long.

Anyway, I'm still getting it on PS3.

CPS2

I watched a couple of matches at the arcade on the weekend, I think I saw a wooden and metalic Roger Jr, reminded me of an Aibo or something, looked cool.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
One question about the customs- are they like SC4 where you can dress Mina and Talim up the same way, or are they char specific like VF where you can't put Aoi in Sarah's outfit?

Top Bottom