• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 6: fap without fear thread (GONE GOLD)

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Master Thespian said:
I kind of agree with this. I'm super hyped for T6, but the juggles, man.....argh. This is why I switch to VF, but it kinda looks like VF is dead sooooooooooooooooo....

er, VF is the same way... you launch or crumple and you go for your best combo possible...

_dementia said:
yeah, this.

maybe he's playing it wrong

Yeah, but do they last as long? Maybe because I don't play it often but I don't get annoyed with the animations as I do those in Tekken. I'm sure once I get my hands on it, I'll enjoy it. I'll definitely stare clear of online play though. I will get so sick of people playing the same handful of characters using the same couple of moves and combos. Sad really.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Oichi said:
er, VF is the same way... you launch or crumple and you go for your best combo possible...
Which could be different depending on the position of the fighter's feet. Fighting games are like layer cake. You can enjoy them at any level you want.

Oichi said:

Well, in Virtua Fighter, throws are worth a damn and the sidestep works a good bit better. Plus the throws are shorter in terms of time, so there's less of a wait for recovery to get back to playing. VF's just faster in general.

Master Thespian said:
Well, in Virtua Fighter, throws are worth a damn and the sidestep works a good bit better. Plus the throws are shorter in terms of time, so there's less of a wait for recovery to get back to playing. VF's just faster in general.

Curse you for making me want to pick VF5 up again. Not that it's bad, I just needed some extra cash for a pre-order and haven't touched it in a while. I will be touching it again soon.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Curse you for making me want to pick VF5 up again. Not that it's bad, I just needed some extra cash for a pre-order and haven't touched it in a while. I will be touching it again soon.

LOL. Stick to Tekken, she'll treat you better. I know I'm crawling back with my tail between my legs for part Tekken 6, since Virtua Fighter gets such shitty support from Sega of America and is rumored to be buried as a series for a while. We still don't have R (which looks SEXY), probably won't get it, and Sega's current attitude is that the series isn't and won't work on consoles. I mean, fighting games are experiencing a revival, and Sega's choosing to sit this one out.

PS-- Don't get me wrong, I'm really excited for Tekken 6 (even if the last time Bruce didn't suck was TTT). It's just that I finally learned how awesome Virtua Fighter is and now it's disappearing.

Cheebs

Master Thespian said:
LOL. Stick to Tekken, she'll treat you better. I know I'm crawling back with my tail between my legs for part Tekken 6, since Virtua Fighter gets such shitty support from Sega of America and is rumored to be buried as a series for a while. We still don't have R (which looks SEXY), probably won't get it, and Sega's current attitude is that the series isn't and won't work on consoles. I mean, fighting games are experiencing a revival, and Sega's choosing to sit this one out.
Virtua Fighter is pretty much dead. John Davidson I believe said on one of the 1up podcasts that the guys at sega he talked to imply VF5 is the very last VF game and they are done with the series since it sold so poorly.

More or less VF fans are going to be forced to switched to Tekken, at least for the foreseeable future.

Cheebs said:
Virtua Fighter is pretty much dead. John Davidson I believe said on one of the 1up podcasts that the guys at sega he talked to imply VF5 is the very last VF game and they are done with the series since it sold so poorly.

More or less VF fans are going to be forced to switched to Tekken, at least for the foreseeable future.
phpdvsf4pamas0.jpg

Yeah, this is what I was referencing. I wouldn't mind them dropping the VF series, if they came back with a very similar system under a new brand name, as the Virtua Fighter name is poison. With a better storyline, characters, costumes, music, voice acting, sound effects....(Tekken pretty much). AM2's too good at fighting game mechanics to not be doing anything.

Cheebs

I'd be a lot less upset with Sega killing off VF if they released the final version of VF on consoles, but the fact they seemed to kill it off without releasing the final game on consoles makes it just plain aggravating.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
MarkMan said:
It looks like I'm the only one left with interest in T6/BR ;(

BUT!

I will continue to bump/update...

Check out this beautiful vid...

http://www.challenger.jp/mp4/tekken6br_20090221.html

My god BR is so beautiful...
Damn it looks amazing, the motion blur is really well applied.
Im sad to see the same hit confirmation 'sparks' since Tekken 1 v_v

Master Thespian said:
Yeah, this is what I was referencing. I wouldn't mind them dropping the VF series, if they came back with a very similar system under a new brand name, as the Virtua Fighter name is poison. With a better storyline, characters, costumes, music, voice acting, sound effects....(Tekken pretty much). AM2's too good at fighting game mechanics to not be doing anything.

Really not sure how any of this would help VF in the arcades.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
_dementia said:
but which game is the worldwide success?

That's fine and dandy but that has nothing to do with these listings here. Although I would love to see Melty Blood release in the US. :D But come on, I did not expect to see SF4 at a steady #5 behind something like Melty Blood.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Cheebs said:
I'd be a lot less upset with Sega killing off VF if they released the final version of VF on consoles, but the fact they seemed to kill it off without releasing the final game on consoles makes it just plain aggravating.

I'm tempted to boycott Sega over this. Part of me wonders how Sega remains profitable with all their bad business decisions.

arstal said:
I'm tempted to boycott Sega over this. Part of me wonders how Sega remains profitable with all their bad business decisions.

I'd love to do this. Except Virtua Fighter is the only thing they make that I want anyways. :lol

Sort of off topic, but am i the only one who LOVED tekken 4? I mean, i thought that was the direction that 3d fighters should have been going in. More interactive levels, and more specifically, levels that are actually different from one another from a gameplay standpoint was something that I craved for in a fighter(one besides ssb). Yeah, as far as elite play goes, it was busted in some ways, but an improved tekken 4 with all of the fighting mechanics that were advanced in tekken 5(god the animation and interactions are beautiful, plus crush) sounds like a damn dream. By now, we would have had a seriously fine tuned version of it, seeing how great tekken 6 is.

*drools*

Askia47

I liked Tekken 4 too, the music and feel of it was really nice. Tekken 6 was pretty nice when i played it at CTF, im really looking forward to it. Tekken 3 got me into fighting games so I consider it a classic though.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Why are people trying to tell ME how VF works when I've played more VF than GAF collectively? :p

So whats all this talk about Sega killing the last reason for me to be a Sega fan? What the fuck is wrong with them?

P.S. Do we know the release date for T6 yet? At least what quarter it's in? And will Namco try to screw us by charging for characters?

Askia47 said:
I liked Tekken 4 too, the music and feel of it was really nice. Tekken 6 was pretty nice when i played it at CTF, im really looking forward to it. Tekken 3 got me into fighting games so I consider it a classic though.
I really loved tekken 4...the position change, having to think about where you were in levels, and such just made it feel so damn good.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
riskVSreward said:
P.S. Do we know the release date for T6 yet? At least what quarter it's in? And will Namco try to screw us by charging for characters?

4th quarter 2009 iirc (October or November). Namco sure is taking their sweet fucking time with this port. It feels like I've been waiting forever for this game to come out. They need to get their asses in gear and release this thing. Fall is already packed enough as it is.

Oichi said:
Why are people trying to tell ME how VF works when I've played more VF than GAF collectively? :p

Maybe YOU should have talked like it instead of oversimplifying it. :p

EDIT: I just realized you are/were Reno (who I do believe have played the game more than all of us combined). When did you change the name? I still think you were oversimplifying. The throw game and evasion are strong enough to not be boiled down to footsies and launchers.

DrDogg

I would LOVE to see Sega make a new fighter. I've been wanting a new 3D fighting game that's accepted on a competitive level, but doesn't allow people to use the same strats they've been using for the last 5 years.

Guilty Gear did this for the 2D scene. Where's the 3D version? I was hoping a new KI would have this impact, but if we ever get one, it may not be accepted competitively, and it may not even be a true 1v1 fighter.

Baron Aloha said:
4th quarter 2009 iirc (October or November). Namco sure is taking their sweet fucking time with this port. It feels like I've been waiting forever for this game to come out. They need to get their asses in gear and release this thing. Fall is already packed enough as it is.

For the 300th time...

Tekken 6 is not coming to home consoles. It's now over a year old.

Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion is coming to home consoles. It's currently 3 months old and will be less than a year old when it hits consoles.

Namco is not taking their time, they simply didn't release the original version of Tekken 6.

^But still, Namco is taking their sweet time. A console version of T6 vanilla could have been released for consoles AND THEN BR should have showed up in arcades. Then a patch (possibly pay for) could have been added later for the consoles. This wouldn't be popular NOW but no one would have minded if it happened then.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Spiegel said:
Namco is taking their time, they announced Tekken VI for PS3 in '05

They didn't announce Tekken 6. Tekken 6 wasn't even done being made in 2005 for arcades.

They announced "TEKKEN" tentative title for the PS3 console (which was pretty much forced/asked as a favor by Sony prior to E3.

Tekken 6 wasn't officially announced for the PS3 until mid 2008.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
New interview with Tekken Team's Katsuhiro Harada...

NowGamer: Beat-’em-ups are precise games. What was the main challenge in creating an online multiplayer?

Katsuhiro Harada: Even when compared to other fighting games, Tekken has its own unique challenges. There is one particular aspect of Tekken that is distinctly different from the systems of other 2D and 3D fighting games. The control system is designed foremost to be intuitive and responsive. After a player inputs a command, the technique is executed the next frame. In one frame after the input, you see the results displayed on screen. This is something that is not widely known, but this is unique to Tekken. Other fighting games have a buffer of several frames after a command input. Even offline, there is a delay in the response time as a result of this.

Tekken executes this in one frame, making it very responsive for a fighting game. This is something maybe even a lot of hardcore players don’t know, but it is well known among other developers. I’ve talked a lot about this before with other directors of fighting franchises from other companies. So, taking such a responsive fighting game online in itself is a huge challenge. Every day, we are working hard to make the game as responsive as possible.

NG: The enhancements of juggles using the ‘Bound’ system is a move toward more tech gameplay. Is this the direction of the Tekken franchise?

KH: It might seem quite technical at first, but it is easy to pick up. It is rather an element that makes going on the offence that much more fun while adding another level to the gameplay. We never have and never will try to make this a strictly technical game. We are always reflecting on the thrilling over-the-top essence of Tekken and how to improve upon that.

NG: How have the item moves affected the gameplay? How much impact do they have? Are they just novelty?

KH: We didn’t want these items to be a factor in the outcome of the match. We wanted it to be a fun game element, another way for the player to express himself/herself. We would never implement a feature where a player with a particular item equipped is rendered much stronger than his/her opponent. These projectiles don’t do much damage but this “shooting” and “evading” adds a new element of fun to the game. Not only that but it is another method of confusing your opponent and maybe gaining an advantage.

NG: What was the thought behind the rage mode, it being quite an old-school idea? What does it add to the gameplay?

KH: It is quite an old-school idea. Everyone’s probably thinking, “Why make such a simplistic addition?” We are constantly trying to balance these concepts: ‘the technical and strategic element as a versus fighting tool’ and ‘thrilling elements of an action game combined with an element of chance’. Keeping these elements in mind, we try to decide how we want to flavour the game.

NG: Changing every frame of animation must have been quite a job, but it’s a huge change in terms of juggles and just frames for those that have been with the series for a while. How do you think the hardcore fans will take to such a change?

KH: Of course there are so many characters in Tekken 6 that it probably has the most number of unique moves in a fighting game. However, the game is designed so that you can select a few moves that are easy to execute, or that are handy in a variety of situations, and still do fairly well. Also, once you learn one or two characters, it is fairly easy to pick up other characters as well. The hardcore players will probably notice a deeper level of strategy and gameplay as well as more combo opportunities, but all of this was accomplished without making the controls complex. Actually, the current version is well received in the arcades.

NG: What kind of console extras will we see when this makes it to our PS3s?

KH: There will be a lot of extra content for the console on both the PS3 and 360. We’re also considering PlayStation Home related features. I can’t talk about the other stuff we have planned at this time. Of course, there will also be console specific modes and other ways to enjoy the game.

NG: What were the main challenges with developing across multiple platforms? The arcade cabinet uses PS3 technology, does this mean that the Xbox360 version loses out?

KH: Regarding the PS3 related code, the game is geared to make the most use of the SPU and the code is written around this. Also, full motion blur was added while maintaining 60 frames; something that other fighting games were unable to implement. This is the first time we’ve taken this specialized code to the 360, and it will be a big challenge but we want to dispel any fears that fans might have that the 360 version will be inferior. We’re making progress every day and we’re quite confident.

NG: How, over the years, have various versions of other 3D fighters affected the development of Tekken?

KH: We’ve been influenced by various games during the series. Are there any fighting games that aren’t influenced at all by or use other games as a reference? For TEKKEN, not only have we been influenced by other 3D fighting games, but sometimes 2D ones as well.

Actually there is an interesting episode related to this…In the past, we had developed an arcade cabinet with a memory card reader. We were thinking of interesting ways to implement this feature in TEKKEN when the director of Virtua Fighter, who had been thinking of something similar, approached us. We decided to collaborate on this idea and it led to an exciting new feature: the card-based character customization system used in TEKKEN and Virtua Fighter, which was also adapted to the console versions. You may think “But you’re rivals. Why?” but using a common network system allows us to provide a much better service to the fans. As a result of this rival relationship while using the same network system, the popularity of the genre as a whole increased and was a good result for both teams. This is a good example of a positive influence that benefited the arcade scene as a whole.

NG: How will Tekken 6 differ from everything else on the market when it hits the console?

KH: We reworked the graphic engine and created new shaders. In doing so, we had to make sure we could implement the graphic effects we wanted while still maintaining 60 frames. This is something that is extremely difficult to pull off, and there weren’t many examples in other games. Tailoring the programming to make the most use of the Cell’s SPU allowed us to achieve the results we were aiming for. We managed to implement a full motion blur effect that Soul Calibur and other fighting games haven’t accomplished while still maintaining 60 frames. Look at other action or fighting games after playing Tekken 6 for 10 minutes and I believe you’ll be quite surprised at the difference in the animation.

NG: How far do you see the Tekken franchise going? How many more can you do?

KH: Just as if you were to ask someone “How long do you think you’ll live?” and don’t think many people can easily answer that question. As long as the fans continue to enjoy the series, I would love to continue to do it. I have three big ideas that I would really like to see to fruition. These ideas don’t really rely on hardware specs but are something that would really enhance the versus game play element of a game. I would like to implement these ideas using Tekken as a base.

NG: Tekken 6 saw release in the arcade long before home consoles. Do you think this will always be the case?

KH: I don’t. The circumstances were much different this time. We did release Tekken 6 in arcades at the end of 2007. However, we began work on arcade update TEKKEN 6 Bloodline Rebellion after that (of course, we also helped out with Soul Calibur 4). If it weren’t for the work we had with TEKKEN 6 BR, we probably could have made a console TEKKEN 6 already. However, we really wanted to raise the quality and increase the volume of TEKKEN 6, and that was also a request from the arcade market as well.

NG: Where does the future of PS3 look to be going to you? Having worked with the architecture, how much of the potential of the console is being used?

KH: As far as potential goes, this is something we really noticed when developing Bloodline Rebellion. In the Tekken Project, when we talk about dividing the processing we say to “SPU it”. If you use the SPU’s capabilities properly and optimize the code accordingly you can pull a lot out of the hardware. For example, if you implement all the features that you planned but don’t have enough processing power, you can still make it work if you optimize the code to make full use of this. Of course, twice the memory would be nice…

console exclusive mode?

I don't know if I like the way that sounds. I really hope they do not hold back on the PS3 version just to make the versions "equal". Take advantage of that extra space guys.

But still, Namco is taking their sweet time. A console version of T6 vanilla could have been released for consoles AND THEN BR should have showed up in arcades. Then a patch (possibly pay for) could have been added later for the consoles. This wouldn't be popular NOW but no one would have minded if it happened then.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Sort of like what they did with Tekken 5: DR and Tekken 5: DR Online. I think it would of made more sense. According to the interview, it seems that Tekken 6: BR was the primary reason for the long wait on the home version. Also, they really shouldn't release it in Fall 2009. I think Summer 2009 would be more ideal imo. Fall is always packed with high profile titles and this game will have to compete with them. Don't get me wrong, Tekken is a pretty popular franchise, I just don't know how it will compete with something like Call of Duty: MW2 or even a new Smackdown game. We will see.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Oichi said:

Um, haunts is one of the top VF players in the US. I used to play VF pretty seriously myself, though I was never that good at it. Too many VFDCers made me their plaything, and well, those were the only people I could find to play.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Philanthropist said:
It was a terrible trailer, but they showed a T6 one at E3 2006 at the infamous Sony conference.

Are you talking about the short one with just Jin? If so, that trailer just says "TEKKEN" on it, nowhere does it say Tekken 6. Tekken 6 wasn't announced for arcades until mid Feb. 2007.

jett

D-Member
MarkMan said:
Are you talking about the short one with just Jin? If so, that trailer just says "TEKKEN" on it, nowhere does it say Tekken 6. Tekken 6 wasn't announced for arcades until mid Feb. 2007.

No, there was a seemingly real-time trailer in 2006. The CG Jin is from 2005.

Spiegel

MarkMan said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wumgAhWd3Rs

Tekken 6 - E3 '06

MarkMan said:
They didn't announce Tekken 6. Tekken 6 wasn't even done being made in 2005 for arcades.

They announced "TEKKEN" tentative title for the PS3 console (which was pretty much forced/asked as a favor by Sony prior to E3.

Tekken 6 wasn't officially announced for the PS3 until mid 2008.

Both of us were wrong

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Having put in a good amount of time into T6 and T6BR. I'm completely shocked at how poor the images and videos of it Namco is releasing for the home version. What the hell is their marketing department doing?

I enjoy a wide range of fighters, and I can tell right now the media is going to hold a big grudge against this game.

jett

D-Member
GeoNeo said:
Having put in a good amount of time into T6 and T6BR. I'm completely shocked at how poor the images and videos of it Namco is releasing for the home version. What the hell is their marketing department doing?

I enjoy a wide range of fighters, and I can tell right now the media is going to hold a big grudge against this game.

it's not the media's fault that namco releases screens that are jagged the fuck up.

Top Bottom