• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
You're probably not wrong about that, at least to some degree. I'm sure Jackson is genuinely excited to continue for a little while longer. I mean, at this point he's probably got enough pull in Hollywood to tell the WB execs "No" if they'd asked him to consider making a third film and he didn't want to. So if he's hyped about doing one, I'm totally on-board.

Man, Jackson has been involved with The Hobbit since late 2008, and now he won't be done with it completely until 2015 (after the Oscars and dvd/blu-rays are released for the third installment). Almost seven years...I think that actually trumps the amount of time he spent on LotR O.O The man is a machine.
Yeah he certainly is. Guillermo certainly didn't have that kind of patience, which is understandable of course.

Also, new promotion image revealed.

http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/p1020444.jpg

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
is anyone else sick of the PJ hate on this forum? Honest to god I cant believe people are angry at this news, questionable sure, negative sure, but i dont get the anger.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
is anyone else sick of the PJ hate on this forum? Honest to god I cant believe people are angry at this news, questionable sure, negative sure, but i dont get the anger.
Gets tiresome yes. He's still the man for the job, regardless of the mixed reception of his previous two films.

That's why it's generally a good idea to avoid Hobbit related threads apart from this one.

UraMallas

Edmond Dantès;40449027 said:
Gets tiresome yes. He's still the man for the job, regardless of the mixed reception of his previous two films.

That's why it's generally a good idea to avoid Hobbit related threads apart from this one.

Absolutely agree with this.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
half of that thread is people openly trolling

Why yes, yes I am. Actually, I'm quite tired of the just general negativity I see on forums (not just GAF) :\ And you wonder why I've been a jr. for so long! :lol

In regards to the PJ ... discussion, I usually just watch for Edmond Dantes, Loxley, or someone else from this official thread to swing in and put the fires out, heh. If I can't add something level-headed or informative, I just gotta step back :(

Mr Cola

yep im done with that thread, a third of the posts trolls, another third of the posts dont even read your argument (or worse read and refuse to acknowledge or understand it) and the final third actually looking to debate a little bit on the matter, which can be found much more reasonably in here.

Does Warner Brothers/Peter Jackson also have the movie rights for this book?

qHeZq.jpg

I read this way back after the last LOTR movie was released, and it had some great material on Gandalf and Saruman if I remember right. The announcement of a third movie definately has potential if Jackson can include parts of this book in the movies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Does Warner Brothers/Peter Jackson also have the movie rights for this book?

qHeZq.jpg

I read this way back after the last LOTR movie was released, and it had some great material on Gandalf and Saruman if I remember right. The announcement of a third movie definately has potential if Jackson can include parts of this book in the movies.
Sadly no.

I agree that there is some great material in there. Well worth reading.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I don't understand why people are angry PJ thinks it's a good idea to make 3 films? He clearly cares about the material, and if he felt that a 3rd film will help make it better then it probably will. He's not doing it as a cash grab.

People aren't hating on PJ, just questioning this move specifically. I think PJ is a good director, I just think two Hobbit films will likely be better paced than three, especially since the decision to add a third one was made after all the principal shooting is already done.

BobLoblaw

Banned
People aren't hating on PJ, just questioning this move specifically. I think PJ is a good director, I just think two Hobbit films will likely be better paced than three, especially since the decision to add a third one was made after all the principal shooting is already done.
There was talk about a "bridge" film before production even started. I think they originally intended to do two movies once production started and then saw all of the material left on the cutting room floor (which probably amounted to like 30-45 minutes) and they just decided to go ahead and flesh out the rest of the 90 or so minutes it would take to complete another film with stuff from the appendices. Like PJ said, they didn't want to leave anything undone since this will probably be the definitive version of Tolkien's work (with LOTR) for at least the next 20 years when another remake is bound to happen.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Is there a definitive version of The Hobbit (book)? Amazon seems to have two different nice looking hardcover ones.
The Annotated Hobbit and the 75th anniversary edition are two of the best.

iZg1yi9E5pZwC.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0618134700/?tag=neogaf0e-20

ilrbGomr5wkKU.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0618968636/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This one is famed for having Tolkien's own original illustrations.

i3FGoGZ6xzYtV.jpg

The Alan Lee illustrated version is also worth tracking down.

http://i.minus.com/ibbQuWuO1PQix9.jpg

Especially for illustrations such as these:

i0Jwvv3mKyYfw.jpg

iJ64Msh5aR72q.jpg

There was talk about a "bridge" film before production even started. I think they originally intended to do two movies once production started and then saw all of the material left on the cutting room floor (which probably amounted to like 30-45 minutes) and they just decided to go ahead and flesh out the rest of the 90 or so minutes it would take to complete another film with stuff from the appendices. Like PJ said, they didn't want to leave anything undone since this will probably be the definitive version of Tolkien's work (with LOTR) for at least the next 20 years when another remake is bound to happen.

FYI, when they were talking about the 'bridge film', they were talking about doing The Hobbit in one movie and then the second movie would be the bridge film.

Loxley

People aren't hating on PJ, just questioning this move specifically.

There are a number of posts in that cesspool of a thread calling Jackson a "greedy asshole" or some variant, along with people saying "fuck you Jackson". It's unnecessarily vicious rhetoric that's normally reserved for threads about Politicians or Diablo 3. I mean, given how people reacted when this was just a rumor I certainly expected some backlash should it become official, but I had no idea it would get this ridiculous. It's why I bailed out of that thread after four pages.

I think PJ is a good director, I just think two Hobbit films will likely be better paced than three, especially since the decision to add a third one was made after all the principal shooting is already done.

I understand the concern completely, however I don't understand why people are so cynical when we haven't even seen the first damn movie yet. How can people say a third movie wouldn't work when, at this point, we have only a vague idea of what's being included in the first two films? Lets put down the torches and pitchforks, take a deep breath, and wait to see the finished product.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I mentioned it in the other thread, but I'll ask in this thread. Has anyone seen the Sharkey's Purist Editions?
Major differences from the official DVD versions include: Sauron is not merely a floating eyeball, Arwen is not sailing across the sea to Valinor, Aragorn does not express self-doubt, Saruman is not depicted as Sauron's direct subservient, Boromir is not an undercover agent within the Fellowship from the start, Theoden is not a coward with a grudge toward Gondor, Faramir does not drag the Hobbits to Osgiliath, there are no Elves at the Battle of the Hornburg, the Ents do not refuse to attack Isengard, the Fellowship already know Sauron moves to strike Minas Tirith, Arwen is not said to be dying, Sauron is not depicted as a literal searchlight, Denethor lights the beacons prior to Gandalf and Pippin's arrival and Frodo does not send Sam home. The first 25 minutes of the third film containing falling action around Helm's Deep have been made into the ending of the second film, in order to better balance the films' running times. As "The Purist Edit" before it, it often reverses Jackson's decisions in order to reconstruct the original story.

The final film lengths:

The Fellowship of the Ring - 3 hours, 1 minute (down from 3 hours, 28 minutes.)

The Two Towers - 2 hours, 53 minutes (down from 3 hours, 43 minutes.)

The Return of the King - 3 hours (down from 4 hours, 10 minutes.)

Total trilogy length - 8 hours, 54 minutes (down from 11 hours, 21 minutes.)
This was inspired by the original The Two Towers: The Purist Edit:
The Two Towers: The Purist Edit is a fan edit of the movie The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. When the original movie was released in cinemas, a number of die-hard fans of the Lord of the Rings novel disliked (and some hated) the changes to Tolkien's story, motivating someone to create a "purist edit."

Some of the biggest differences include: there are no elves at Helm's Deep, Faramir is indisputably a "good guy" again, the Ents don't refuse to help, Arwen doesn't appear to leave Middle-earth, and Gandalf does not exorcise Saruman from Théoden. As a result, this version is about 40 minutes shorter, but some of the "Purist" fans unhappy with the changes made by Peter Jackson to Tolkien's story believe it is superior to the original release. Some changes are cut out seamlessly while others are rough and obvious and the sound track is carefully re-synchronized, so the only way to notice the changes is to compare the Purist Edit with the original. In some places the Purist Edit completely reverses Peter Jackson's changes and reconstructs the original storyline.

Comparisons have been made between the Purist Edit and Star Wars: The Phantom Edit. While The Phantom Edit has been seen by fans as a way of removing the aspects of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace that offended many casual moviegoers, The Two Towers: The Purist Edit has appealed primarily to hardcore, die-hard fans who have taken pains to highlight the differences between the book and the movie.

Film length: 2 hours 15 minutes (theatrical release is 2 h 59 min, the extended edition DVD is 3 h 42 min).

Major changes (out of about 30):

The Ents do not refuse to attack Isengard
Elves do not come to Helm's Deep
Gimli no longer engages in comic relief
Faramir does not decide to send the One Ring to Gondor as a "mighty gift" for his father
Frodo does not attempt to give the Ring to the Nazgûl

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N_-BsZDaXo

How can people say a third movie wouldn't work when, at this point, we have only a vague idea of what's being included in the first two films? Lets put down the torches and pitchforks, take a deep breath, and wait to see the finished product.

Because the decision to make it a trilogy is being made FIVE MONTHS before the first installment hits theaters, well after principal photography wrapped.

It was written and produced as two films. And now, at the very last minute, they're expanding it to three. It's absurd.

UraMallas

Edmond Dantès;40455792 said:
Well what do you know. These have just been registered to MarkMonitor, which operated TheHobbitAnUnexpectedJourney.com and TheHobbitThereandBackAgain.com

How did you guess that? Do you know something?

Sirius

Just heard about the trilogy revelation - wow, this is heavy.

Not in my wildest dreams did I think we would get this .. a prequel trilogy.

Edmond Dantès;40455792 said:
Well what do you know. These have just been registered to MarkMonitor, which operated TheHobbitAnUnexpectedJourney.com and TheHobbitThereandBackAgain.com

Riddles In The Dark refers to something we'll surely see in the first film though, can't see that being used as a title for 2 or 3.

Because the decision to make it a trilogy is being made FIVE MONTHS before the first installment hits theaters, well after principal photography wrapped.

It was written and produced as two films. And now, at the very last minute, they're expanding it to three. It's absurd.

I believe this is a fairly inaccurate and misleading statement.

The approach Peter Jackson has taken to making “The Hobbit” is an organic, iterative process. You only have to watch the 8 Production Diaries that have been released to know this. He has stated many times that the script is not fixed and is being continually re-written. These revisions and changes will now continue well into the post-production period.

The Principle Shoot for “The Hobbit” lasted 266 days, this was completed on 6th July 2012. The production was not divided into 2 movies, it was one continuous production broken into 2 shooting blocks, with a break to give the cast and crew some time-off.

I assume that when the production team assessed the material available they concluded that they had enough to support 3 movies instead of 2. So instead of trying to cram all of the material prepared into two movies, they now have the luxury of being able to spread the good material over a longer running time. They have planned 2 months of additional shooting next summer to support movies 2 & 3. http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/25/three-hobbit-movies-still-possible

How the new film titles for “The Hobbit” trilogy work.

Film One = ‘An Unexpected Journey’

Film Three = ‘There and Back Again’

These are the two existing titles, with poster and logo materials already produced etc.

Film Two = either “Riddles in the Dark” or “Desolation of Smaug”

This gives a pretty good idea where the story breaks are for movies 1,2 & 3 for the “Riddles in the Dark and “Desolation of Smaug” titles to work for the 2nd film.

This is a pretty big surprise, because it would mean film one climaxes with the Dwarves captured by the Goblins of the Misty Mountains, Gandalf coming to the rescue and Bilbo left behind. This is pretty early in the events of “The Hobbit”. This also implies that there is a lot of prologue material about Thrain II in Dol Guldur, White Council meeting, discovery that the Ringwraiths have returned etc.

I recently watched all the blog videos. They actually showed some of the filming of the Riddles in the Dark scene in blog videos, while at the same time making it a point not to show scenes from the second film. If that scene isn't in the first movie, I'd be very surprised.

I first suspected that the first film would end with
the eagle rescue from the goblins and wargs but it was pointed out to me that they've shown scenes as far out as the barrel ride
in the production videos.

TCRS

Banned
I don't know what to make of this news... I'm a big fan of PJ's LOTR (especially the SEE versions), but three Hobbit movies strikes me as odd...

But I'm still awaiting that glorious day when the SEE of all the Hobbit movies with all the documentaries etc arrive. It'll be so good :)

KingKong

The book is meant to be an adventure told through one characters eyes, if you stretch it to 3 movies (and 2 was pushing it) and add all kinds of extraneous detail, it will detract from the story, the tone and the pacing

despire

The book is meant to be an adventure told through one characters eyes, if you stretch it to 3 movies (and 2 was pushing it) and add all kinds of extraneous detail, it will detract from the story, the tone and the pacing

Except there's no way you can possibly know this. We just have to wait and see.

The book does focus almost completely on Bilbo but it isn't told from his perspective. It has an omniscience narrator that you could suggest is future Bilbo but the narrator discusses things that even future Bilbo couldn't possibly know.

Whether it was 2 movies or 3, though, I can guarantee that the films were never going to be an adventure told through one characters eyes. Events that happened out side of Bilbo's adventure were always going to be part of the movies.

I wouldn't want anyone else near this project as a director to be perfectly clear, but stretching the Hobbit into a 3 part affair just seems na unnecessary and massively bloated affair.

Except there's no way you can possibly know this. We just have to wait and see.

Its a 300 page book spread across what'll likely be a minimum of 6 hours. I'm a big fan of backstory, but I'd much rather there be two movies and all of this stuff go into an extended edition. I just can't see the narrative of The Hobbit (what is in the actual book) being very well executed when spread so thin. Part of the charm of The Hobbit was that it was a self contained, relatively short fantastic adventure. Now this won't be self contained, it definitely won't be relatively short and the adventure will be interrupted by a lot of things that, while nice, aren't key to the tale of The Hobbit.

Like I said, I'd rather all of the extra stuff go into an extended edition.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Its a 300 page book spread across what'll likely be a minimum of 6 hours. I'm a big fan of backstory, but I'd much rather there be two movies and all of this stuff go into an extended edition. I just can't see the narrative of The Hobbit (what is in the actual book) being very well executed when spread so thin. Part of the charm of The Hobbit was that it was a self contained, relatively short fantastic adventure. Now this won't be self contained, it definitely won't be relatively short and the adventure will be interrupted by a lot of things that, while nice, aren't key to the tale of The Hobbit.

Like I said, I'd rather all of the extra stuff go into an extended edition.

You mean like the story of what Gandalf was up to while he wasn't with the company? Just having him vanish for like the whole movie will feel odd, it will just be an unanswered question.

I can definitely understand peoples concerns if they were expecting the movies to follow the story and tone of the Hobbit closely. I always expected that Peter Jackson's Hobbit was going to tell Bilbo's story but at the same time try to keep the tone consistent with his LoTR Trilogy. I'd imagine one of the best ways to do that is to roll the updates back into the Hobbit that were introduced later.

We have exclusive and reliable news from Ringer Spy Thrush that New Line has registered the following film titles:

The Desolation of Smaug
The Battle of Five Armies
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies

Apparently this doesn’t mean New Line is definitely going to use one, or both, or either of them! Our spy tells us that because they must register their eventual title, studios often register multiple titles. One could suggest, based on these titles, that maybe we’ll have a change to the first film title? That ‘An Unexpected Journey’ memorabilia would sure increase in value! We’ve included some completely fan made versions of the movie title logos below! Enjoy!

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/07/31/60231-exclusive-new-line-registers-hobbit-movie-titles/

Edmond Dantès;40476392 said:
Battle of Five Armies would be decent and at least the general public would have no issues with the pronunciation of Smaug.

Yeah I could see that. Film 2 would focus on
Laketown and Smaug as the climax
and then Film 3 would focus on
Battle of Five Armies, Necromancer/Sauron and how that ties into LOTR

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
OT

Corey Olsen known as the Tolkien Professor has written a new companion piece to The Hobbit, which is scheduled for a September release.

PN8Xi.jpg

Synopsis
Exploring J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Hobbit” is a fun, thoughtful, and insightful companion volume, designed to bring a thorough and original new reading of this great work to a general audience. Professor Corey Olsen takes readers on an in-depth journey through The Hobbit chapter by chapter, revealing the stories within the story: the dark desires of dwarves and the sublime laughter of elves, the nature of evil and its hopelessness, the mystery of divine providence and human choice, and, most of all, the transformation within the life of Bilbo Baggins. Exploring J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Hobbit” is a book that will make The Hobbit come alive for readers as never before.

There will be a plethora of Hobbit tie-ins come Autumn/Winter and most of them will be cheap cash-ins and mostly awful, but this will certainly not be one of those.

How anyone could think "The Desolation of Smaug" is a good title is beyond me. Good for people who read the book? Sure. Good for the general public, who are 80% of the audience? No, it's horrible.

I advocate Riddles in the Dark and The Battle of Five Armies. I know the Riddles in the Dark chapter happens early, but hell, they changed the meaning of "The Two Towers," why not this?

How anyone could think "The Desolation of Smaug" is a good title is beyond me. Good for people who read the book? Sure. Good for the general public, who are 80% of the audience? No, it's horrible.

I advocate Riddles in the Dark and The Battle of Five Armies. I know the Riddles in the Dark chapter happens early, but hell, they changed the meaning of "The Two Towers," why not this?

They actually made a Riddles in the Dark reference in the Fellowship of the Ring movie. That definitely wouldn't prevent them from using it outside of the actual scene but I have a feeling that they wouldn't.

Just as an aside, if anyone is interested Games Workshop has a 2 page advert in this months White Dwarf for its (inevitable) Hobbit range. Of course, it was just a picture of the cast at this moment in time, but more details will probably be released in October/ November.

Unfortunately GW has become more tight lipped than ever, so it is unlikely much will be spoiled until then. Also if it follows LOTR releases, the miniatures released before the film will be mostly of characters/armies we already know of, with any surprises held back until early next year (ala Fellbeast, Mordor Trolls etc).
Shame there won't be a Deagostini 'Battle Games in Middle Earth' type series released again. It was such a cheap way to get the miniatures!

Yeah the Desolation of Smaug does not strike me as a good title.

Curufinwe

I wouldn't want anyone else near this project as a director to be perfectly clear, but stretching the Hobbit into a 3 part affair just seems na unnecessary and massively bloated affair.

I agree, although maybe it will be three 2 hour movies, and six hours total isn't really that long.

I would prefer the third movie to cover the time between the end of the Hobbit and FOTR, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom