• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
That trailer makes me want to marathon the LOTR movies....so good, the dwarf singing is chill inducing.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
That trailer makes me want to marathon the LOTR movies....so good, the dwarf singing is chill inducing.

I did it the other week, most satisfying, it makes the whole 3 film idea sit a little better, i just hope they can recapture some of the smaller moments that the lotr trilogy had, the real emotional beats that kept you invested. I hope there are some more good gandalf speeches too, i heard about one at comic con between him and galadriel which sounds perfect.

Red_Man

I've posted in here already, I have no problem whatsoever with The Hobbit being split into 3 films. I believe in Jackson doing what he feels will produce the best movies. I'll probably try and watch one of the LOTR's each night this weekend. I haven't watched any of them in a year or so.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I've posted in here already, I have no problem whatsoever with The Hobbit being split into 3 films. I believe in Jackson doing what he feels will produce the best movies. I'll probably try and watch one of the LOTR's each night this weekend. I haven't watched any of them in a year or so.

if you have them or access to them try the Blu Rays, i had bought but not watched them until last week and the quality is unbelievable. The only slight issue i had, which wasnt so much an issue as an observation, is that in some scenes Gollums cgi stands out pretty hard.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
So, who's up for a Hobbit reread? I can come up with a thread and there would also be quite a bit of analysis during the reread. Almost to an academic level :)

Don't know about the organisation though i.e how many chapters a week or days etc.

Edmond Dantès;40597824 said:
So, who's up for a Hobbit reread? I can come up with a thread and there would also be quite a bit of analysis during the reread. Almost to an academic level :)

Don't know about the organisation though i.e how many chapters a week or days etc.

I don't need to reread, this covered everything I needed:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CFEQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DAGF5ROpjRAU&ei=uUocUJOnK6WxywGS3YDQDQ&usg=AFQjCNFBEzlxbVx7QhH_djA8q_mfqOqhqA&sig2=6xUGkqcDZOoVoppKEBnmgw

I actually just started on this myself, did the first chapter a couple nights ago. Will probably just do a chapter a night every now and then to extend the experience :)

It struck me how pleasurable it is to read. Just a joy, really.

I decided to buy the Illustrated Lord of the Rings hardback to go with the Hobbit I just bought. I probably shouldn't have bought such a huge single book edition because it's going to be a little unwieldy to read but I wanted a matching set.

Gila

I'm down for a reread, I don't remember really much about it and was thinking of just leaving it alone and trying to go watch it how Sculli would. But if I were to reread it would be a full indepth analysis

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I decided to buy the Illustrated Lord of the Rings hardback to go with the Hobbit I just bought. I probably shouldn't have bought such a huge single book edition because it's going to be a little unwieldy to read but I wanted a matching set.

The illustrated Silmarillion hardback is also worth owning.

ii73NUHwlawYt.jpg

I am! Thought about reading the entire saga starting with The Silmarillion. But I can go straight to The Hobbit if need to, to contribute to the thread.

Jimothy

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;40602234 said:
Still the best dramatic piece of music from the trilogy. Nothing gets the blood pumping like this.

Glamdring (also known as Foundations of the Stone)

Irkat-lukhud ma
katabrikihu
Ulfat-atam ma
tanakhi uduhu
bin-nât aznân tarsisi

Bazar udu agânî-furkhîn
Gurd!
Ma nîd sakhu!
Ma satf unkhai!
Atkât zatagrafizu
Zatablugi sulluzu

Mettanna
Nárendur!
An mauya mahtie
Mettanna!

Attached to my single-favorite favorite scene from the whole trilogy :) The shot that accompanies the part at 3:31 is amazing.

Altazor

Edmond Dantès;40602436 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ro75mgBigA&feature=related

Love the way Gandalf grabs Glamdring mid-air and the accompanying sound effect.

Even better when you what they both are and who they represent.

Gandalf a Maiar of Manwë, Durin's Bane a Valaraukar of Melkor.

I can't remember if that's the first Maia vs. Maia battle since the First Age... or was it Dol Guldur? (although I don't know if Sauron fought or just fled in that one). In any case, that alone makes it special :p

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I can't remember if that's the first Maia vs. Maia battle since the First Age... or was it Dol Guldur? (although I don't know if Sauron fought or just fled in that one). In any case, that alone makes it special :p
Indeed, it was the first since the First Age. Sauron never fought against the White Council, he fled.

The great wars between the Valar/Maiar and Melkor before the coming of the elves and men would be a sight to behold.

What's even more startling is the fact that Melkor took on the combined might of the Valar three times; losing, winning and then finally been defeated when Tulkas joined in.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

I'm planning on doing it in October. The hobbit is such a short and easy read, and October will be close enough that the book will still be fresh in my mind.

DodgerSan

Currently reading it at bedtime for my daughter, who's 7. I showed her the trailer a couple of times and she loves it. Then the other day I spotted some writing she'd been doing, and it was the words to the song from the trailer. Proud moment! :)

TCRS

Banned
Edmond Dantès;40601486 said:
The illustrated Silmarillion hardback is also worth owning.

http://i.minus.com/ii73NUHwlawYt.jpg

Damn, I'm definitely going to buy this version one day. I've already got Silmarillion but only a small paperback version. I've also got all three LOTR books as paperback but illustrated. One day I'll buy some nice special edition of LOTR, The Hobbit and The Silmarillion that I will probably never read but it will look nice on my shelf. The same with ASOIAF.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I agree in general, but to be fair, wasn't Gandalf himself unsure of how he would fare against the Witch-King?
More unsure of how he would fare against the Balrog and that was when he was still Gandalf the Grey. As Gandalf the White he had no such fears in the book at least.

The breaking of the staff was the worst part. I can understand one Maia doing it to another Maia, but a Nazgul doing it seems way beyond Tolkien's writings.

I much prefer the way it was handled in the book.
But it was no orc-chieftain or brigand that led the assault upon Gondor. The darkness was breaking too soon, before the date that his Master had set for it: fortune had betrayed him for the moment, and the world had turned against him; victory was slipping from his grasp even as he stretched out his hand to seize it. But his arm was long. He was still in command, wielding great powers. King, Ringwraith, Lord of the Nazgûl, he had many weapons. He left the Gate and vanished.

Edmond Dantès;40628772 said:
More unsure of how he would fare against the Balrog and that was when he was still Gandalf the Grey. As Gandalf the White he had no such fears in the book at least.

The breaking of the staff was the worst part. I can understand one Maia doing it to another Maia, but a Nazgul doing it seems way beyond Tolkien's writings.

I much prefer the way it was handled in the book.

I could of sworn I remembered Gandalf voicing, if not doubts, then at least a cautious optimism when talking about the Witch-King to Denethor when Denethor was talking about the Black Captain. But I haven't read the book in a long time, so Ill defer to your knowledge of it.

It's a moot point because I agree with you anyways. The breaking of the staff was too much.

On another note, I'm getting really excited about seeing The Necromancer in the Hobbit. I wonder how he will look? Does Tolkien ever give a physical description?

Jacob

Edmond Dantès;40616326 said:

Not really a new release, it was first published in 1990 if I recall correctly. I have a copy in my living room somewhere. It's a great little book though and Pauline Baynes' illustrations are very nice. :)

Edit: I tracked down my copy to confirm this. Going by the copyright page, the stand-alone hardcover version was first published in the UK in 1990 and the US in 1992.

Altazor

Edmond Dantès;40627965 said:
One scene that I was glad they omitted from the theatrical version.

iyoJiswllMFp5.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7egAVqmH4Q

A corrupted man of Númenórean decent versus a being older than Arda itself and the equivalent of a lesser angel. Jeez.

I wasn't a fan of the staff-breaking or Gandalf hitting Denethor. Even though I was kind of a book purist back then... it still bothers me now.

Red_Man

May watch FoTR tonight, and then re-start Skyrim to satisfy this fantasy itch I have after re-watching The Hobbit trailer.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I wasn't a fan of the staff-breaking or Gandalf hitting Denethor. Even though I was kind of a book purist back then... it still bothers me now.
While both bothered me, I still haven't forgiven PJ for having elves at Helm's Deep. I think it would've worked much better with Aragorn giving an amazing speech and inspiring the men to rally together to hold off the orcs.

Altazor

While both bothered me, I still haven't forgiven PJ for having elves at Helm's Deep. I think it would've worked much better with Aragorn giving an amazing speech and inspiring the men to rally together to hold off the orcs.

hm... yeah, it still kinda bothers me too, but I've (somehow) learned to deal with it. I guess some people needed to see ELVES FIGHTING COOL LIKE ON THE PROLOGUE once again and I dunno. Also, I think PJ's original idea of Arwen Warrior Princess was even worse, so at least we got a nice scene with Haldir.

Don't even get me started with that green tide of shit in ROTK :p

Aw fuck, I'm turning into a purist again.

hm... yeah, it still kinda bothers me too, but I've (somehow) learned to deal with it. I guess some people needed to see ELVES FIGHTING COOL LIKE ON THE PROLOGUE once again and I dunno. Also, I think PJ's original idea of Arwen Warrior Princess was even worse, so at least we got a nice scene with Haldir.

Don't even get me started with that green tide of shit in ROTK :p

Aw fuck, I'm turning into a purist again.
I think one of the themes in the films is the passing of the time of Elves. PJ spends a lot of time with this and to have them show up at Helm's Deep is a cathartic moment. True to the book or not its effective in the films and I think it's more than just an ELVES R KEWL moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom