• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Spoony Experiment

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
haha, love the animated swat stuff.

I want my coffee belching smoke like the forges of Isengard!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol

Not very big news at this time. Spoony mentioned on Twitter that due to his recent illness, he may not be able to get a Halloween review out. So instead, he's bumping old reviews up to the front page. First one to be bumped is the classic review from 2007, The Thing: The Game (Plus commentary).

FUSE BOX COUNT: 60

Ah excellent, someone posted the Deadliest Character video here as well. That was my hands down favorite video ever from Spoony. I always like the guy, but this video was just beyond awesome.

MechaX

The Deadliest Character part was hilarious. Surprising ending, yet absolutely predictable in hindsight.

The Highlander: The Source video was the funniest thing I've seen from Spoony in months, though. You thought Star Ocean 3 had a franchise destroying twist? Hoo boy...

I'm about the watch the Highlander review myself, but there are 3 of them. I know there's part 1 & 2, but what's uncut? Is it part 1 and 2 together or what?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Cow Mengde said:
I'm about the watch the Highlander review myself, but there are 3 of them. I know there's part 1 & 2, but what's uncut? Is it part 1 and 2 together or what?

It's just Parts 1 and 2 together.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
He has a heart condition, something happened that required him to go to the emergency room. The details are vague but I know he changed his medication and now he's better.

As for FFX, according to his Twitter he hasn't gotten his required props so the review will be on hold a little longer.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ah okay. Well, he's good now, though no wonder he looked sickly in the past months.

Bitmap Frogs said:
And kickassia was a piece of shit. Yeah I know they made a great effort, spent days under the desert sun and whatever, but the result was horrible... ironic since the nostalgia critic is all about tearing apart bad movies. I wonder if he'll make one of his critic rants on kickassia, that'll be funny.

I don't think it was meant to be something good. It was clearly just about them having fun, and they did.

Besides, being a critic doesn't mean you have to do good work on the medium you are criticizing about (e.g. be a good filmmaker if you are a film critic). Seriously, even Ebert has this horrible film script he doesn't want the world to know!

Purkake4

Banned
Speaking of props, why does he need to have horrible live action sketches between the relatively funny review bits? It doesn't serve any purpose other than to make him feel like a real actor/director/whatever.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Purkake4 said:
Speaking of props, why does he need to have horrible live action sketches between the relatively funny review bits? It doesn't serve any purpose other than to make him feel like a real actor/director/whatever.

not sure , almost all reviewers at TGWTG doing these corny useless sketches now , guess they copys the Nintendo Nerd or something.

micster

Totobeni said:
not sure , almost all reviewers at TGWTG doing these corny useless sketches now , guess they copys the Nintendo Nerd or something.
You know, Spoony has been doing skits since, like, forever. Giant Dizzy Gillespie and his doll roleplay for a start. Hell, the whole Hells Kitchen review.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
^That. That's why I "wut?". He always has that. And I only know a few TGWTG who do sketches midway. I know NC, Chick and Linkara don't (then again, they're the only ones I watch).

Purkake4 said:

I agree, they are often pretty annoying. Personally I think my favorite videos he does are his vlogs, or when he just sits down and does a normal movie review. Hell, even watching him unbox D&D stuff is enjoyable, and I don't even give a damn about D&D. But when he starts going into hysterics and yelling it kinda grates on my nerves. It's funny that I find him at his most mundane to be the most entertaining.

I don't mind Spoony's sketches. He's mentioned several times how much he wanted to write or direct movies. I'm sure that's just his way to get them out there. And besides, those sketches have given us the awesome Dr. Insano.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
BatDan said:
He has a heart condition, something happened that required him to go to the emergency room. The details are vague but I know he changed his medication and now he's better.
Apparently his heart contracts too strongly. If he gets his heart rate up too much, he passes out.

First, some commentaries on the last two Highlander videos:
Highlander Endgame (w/ Pat the NES Punk) Commentary
Highlander: The Source Commentary (As Spoony says in the post, the commentary track gets off-sync with the video about halfway through, but it's still an interesting commentary on a really good video review)

Videos featuring Spoony and some of the other Channel Awesome reviewers were also posted:
Spoony and Gang Go To White Castle
Brad Tries: Pepsi Holiday Spice

And on a related note, another installment in Guru Larry's "Games Yanks Can't Wank" series, this time focusing on European PC ports of NES titles, starting with Contra:
Games Yanks Can't Wank: A Very British Guide to NES Ports Part 1 - Contra-versy

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Ookami-kun said:
GAF sadly hates NC because apparently he's a Nerd clone.

Yeah, shame really. NC can be quite funny, though I will admit he can get a bit grating at times. Still, more often that not, he's funny.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Zero-Crescent said:

love the beginning about XIV and the comparison to ET devs, well deserved :lol

oh man the final parts of the story are pure stupid , who green light this and why?, and I agree the final boss fight is completely ridiculous,even FFVIII story wasn't this bad.

that loser Seymour is on huge epic fail, Square they went from Kuja to this ? what a shame , Noah should never compared him to Team Rocket, Seymour is the New Coke of villains ,the Eddie Murphy of FF universe,the NBA Elite. .

and when I played this crap I didn't thought Yuna and Tidus love scene was about actual fucking like what he was suggesting in the video, I thought it was just kissing and playing and stuff...anyway..

hope he review FFX-2 next without these skits ,I don't hate them but he missed the entire ending Including the Tidus shit in the sea ( related to true FFX-2 ending ) and other crazy parts because of them, he need to do it like FFVIII style ( longer , more playthrough style).

also I noticed he have PS3 version of FFXIII now ,I coulda swore I saw him with the 360 version in one of his vlogs before :/

Totobeni said:
hope he review FFX-2 next without these skits ,I don't hate them but he missed the entire ending Including the Tidus shit in the sea ( related to true FFX-2 ending ) and other crazy parts because of them, he need to do it like FFVIII style ( longer , more playthrough style).

Yeah. I'm kinda disappointed he ended with a skit without even going over Tidus' death hi-five.

Top Bottom