• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Spoony Experiment

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
new one

Elder-Geek interviews Spoony at 2010 E3!

I don't fucking know who is Elder-Geek are ,but they Interviewed him so no more lame questions from him to devs in this one.

but now since he mentioned it , he should review Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within , I didn't see any good internet review spot the light on that piece of shit faults and mistake yet.

54-46! said:
I thought the point of being a critic was saying what's on your mind when you review stuff, guess I was wrong :lol

from the lil wisdom of my few years I wasted here NeoGAF and internet , it depend , if it's the system/game/company you like it's an unforgiven sin and the critic should die in a blue fire , anything else it's a-ok.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
last E3 video ...I guess.

E3 2010 Coverage – Day 3

2qnchon.gif

Metal B

By the way, it is a running gag of Internet critics to say "Oh, they remaking this NES Zelda Game again?". Sponny, Yatzee and the AVGN all made this joke.

54-46!

Metal B said:
By the way, it is a running gag of Internet critics to say "Oh, they remaking this NES Zelda Game again?". Sponny, Yatzee and the AVGN all made this joke.
That's because it's true.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Nowadays he just does vlogs and the lameo wrestling crapola.

To me it's gone from weekly to monthly visit. Nowadays I just go there once a month, skim through all the crap and focus on the good stuff.

And kickassia was a piece of shit. Yeah I know they made a great effort, spent days under the desert sun and whatever, but the result was horrible... ironic since the nostalgia critic is all about tearing apart bad movies. I wonder if he'll make one of his critic rants on kickassia, that'll be funny.

rvy

Banned
Bitmap Frogs said:
Nowadays he just does vlogs and the lameo wrestling crapola.

To me it's gone from weekly to monthly visit. Nowadays I just go there once a month, skim through all the crap and focus on the good stuff.

And kickassia was a piece of shit. Yeah I know they made a great effort, spent days under the desert sun and whatever, but the result was horrible... ironic since the nostalgia critic is all about tearing apart bad movies. I wonder if he'll make one of his critic rants on kickassia, that'll be funny.
His FF X review is shaping up nicely.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
rvy said:
His FF X review is shaping up nicely.

Yeah it's awesome indeed. Just as his FF VIII review. And his SWAT videos. That's the complain, there's not enough of those. I don't like vlogs nor wrestling so obviously content-wise I'm being phased away.

It's sort of understandable, there's tons of people focusing on games... but still. He has a unique style.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Bitmap Frogs said:
Yeah it's awesome indeed. Just as his FF VIII review. And his SWAT videos. That's the complain, there's not enough of those. I don't like vlogs nor wrestling so obviously content-wise I'm being phased away.

It's sort of understandable, there's tons of people focusing on games... but still. He has a unique style.

His recent videos of Wing Commander and Highlander 2 were top notch stuff.

Metal B

Shard said:
Ultima 1: The First Age of Darkness
http://blip.tv/file/3840755

Holy shit this game is just insane :lol
How do you kill a wizard in medieval times, who has the power of immortally?
Get a timemachine from a captured princess, after you went into space with a space shuttle, that you can buy by a local blacksmith, shoot tie-fighter and become a space ace, and of course kill the wizard in the past with your blaster and aircar.

spoony.jpg

Spoony Update: It Came From Beyond Midnight

He's posting these in parts, once a day. So far he has the entirety of the debut EP "Creature" up for viewing and the first part of the next EP "God Told Me To" .

For the non-Americans and those too young to have witnessed this type of show, this is what's known as a "Late-late show" a z-grade movie with hosted bumpers talking about the movie. Sometimes the show might have skits as part of the overall dynamic (such as Beyond Midnight's "Leslie Striker") or a theme (it was very common in the 70's-80's and even earlier for the hosts to be done up in a Addams Family/Musters style and host from a dungeon/crypt/spooky setting). Perhaps the best known of these hosts was the smoking hot Elvira, Mistress of the Dark, although Mystery Science Theater 3000 also falls into this category of programing somewhat.

Oh, and in case anyone was worried Aliens are still cheating, grenade-chucking whores.

He also posted a Vblog Eclipse Review, for those interested.

A little about how It Came From Beyond Midnight came about by those responsible:
Spoony’s Comments

A while ago I was contacted by Josh Hadley to do a guest spot as Dr. Insano for his station’s Halloween screening of Bram Stoker’s Dracula. It was a lot of fun and I, being a media whore, jumped at the chance to appear on TV.

A short time later he asked me if I was interested in a guest star spot on his new show, “It Came From Beyond Midnight,” really just a late-late-late night (so late it’s almost early morning the next day) screening of godawful b-movies from the station vaults and the dredges of the public domain archives. He had an idea for a snobbish, hates-everything douchebag film critic (which was actually something of a challenge because I rather liked most of these movies), and so I got to work creating my pink polo-wearing twerp Leslie Striker, embittered film nerd. Clever followers will note that the entire character is a barely-concealed middle-finger pointed squarely at the worst wrestling color commentator to soil the ringside area since Mike Adamle.

Anyhoo, we filmed four episodes for television before I was made aware that the show was canceled before it even aired, at the literal 11th hour before its debut. It’s a real shame, because as a chronic insomniac, this is the exact kind of show I would have loved to watch on the fuzzy UHF channel in the dark watches of the night. Indeed, it’s the exact sort of channel that brought me such gems as Wheels on Meals, The Clones of Bruce Lee, and Yor: The Hunter From the Future. Josh has been great and showed a lot of spirit in continuing to produce the show. He wants to keep this going, and I’m all for it. In a way, being freed from the shackles of broadcast television could be a huge boon. Now we’re not limited by time or the laws of human decency, so Leslie can hang around for more than 3 minutes at a time and maybe even throw a few f-bombs if need be.

And I’ve seen the next ten movies. There will be a need.

There’s more coming. I hope you enjoy the movies!

A word from show creator Josh Hadley…

Hi, Josh Hadley here, you might remember me from the Halloween special in which Dr. Insano appeared (that most people here hated but what the hell).

What you are going to see for the next 26 weeks or so are segments of my show “It Came From Beyond Midnight”, which was to air on Green Bay TV starting a few weeks ago, that fell apart due to some….. creative differences between me and the station (they wanted to censor the shit of these host segments, and as you will see I was pretty tame in these, since I knew they were for TV but the station still had a problem). Sadly, with the show dead on Green Bay TV and already having 6 episodes shot and edited, I said “fuck them” and decided to put them all on the net, movie included (other then covering tits and vag I have left the movies unedited). So you will get our segments, and part of the movie in each of these. Most of these will be movies that you have never seen (I hope anyway) and I also hope you will enjoy them and forgive me for not being that funny, that was not the goal of the show, I wanted it to be more like we were watching and discussing the movie with you, and maybe say some funny shit now and then.

Also, please forgive the quality of the host segments for the first few, we shot those first 4 in one night… and then discovered the camera had shutter issues, and there is only so much I can do in post to fix it, so if you want to bitch about how we are not funny of we just outright suck, thats cool, but please no ragging on about the video quality, it was beyond our control at that point (it gets better I promise). Myself and my co-host were also very unsure of what we were doing in these early ones, so again, we just suck, sorry (but there is a guest shot in each episode that I promise IS funny).

Another note, the first 6 of these were the ones shot for TV, so they are relatively tame, after that, I don’t go nuts but knowing they are going to “air” on the net, I changed it up some.

ahahaha spoony just had a meltodwn because a couple of users dared to say something bad about the new theme song

"Am I gonna have to get out the banhammer? Because some of you guys are starting to piss me off, and when you get me involved in forum bullshit, I'm the nuclear option, motherfuckers. I will raze this place until I see nothing but smiles and fucking sunshine."

what a thin skin

edit:courtesy of sa forums since his forums are now private

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Prime crotch said:
ahahaha spoony just had a meltodwn because a couple of users dared to say something bad about the new theme song

"Am I gonna have to get out the banhammer? Because some of you guys are starting to piss me off, and when you get me involved in forum bullshit, I'm the nuclear option, motherfuckers. I will raze this place until I see nothing but smiles and fucking sunshine."

what a thin skin

To be fair he has had some real troubles with his forum collective in the past.

Purkake4

Banned
Prime crotch said:

:/

You'd think he would be familiar with the internet by this point...

Oh and the irony of him being a critic comes to mind as well :lol

Link1110

Prime crotch said:

what a thin skin

So download the movie file andd skip it. That:s what I;m doing from now on.

Link1110 said:
So download the movie file andd skip it. That:s what I;m doing from now on.
that's besides the point, fans complained, offered criticisms, and were met with this response by a mod there

"Because some people need to learn how to be tactful and keep their mouths closed when they don't take the time to compose their thoughts in a respectful or constructive way."

which basically means that the only criticism allowed is one where youre inflating spoony's ego, if you ain't circle jerking youre trollin

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Prime crotch said:
that's besides the point, fans complained, offered criticisms, and were met with this response by a mod there

"Because some people need to learn how to be tactful and keep their mouths closed when they don't take the time to compose their thoughts in a respectful or constructive way."

which basically means that the only criticism allowed is one where youre inflating spoony's ego, if you ain't circle jerking youre trollin

Here is where the trouble started from the looks of things.

Scarlett

Would you folks at least try to be semi-constructive with your criticism? (This is levied at those "new theme song sucks" posts.) This is the exact reason why people are once bitten, twice shy after collaborating with Spoony; TSE fans can be really douchey with their remarks. Someone put time and effort into doing that cover version, and Spoony appreciated it enough to use it. You certainly don't have to like it (I too am more a fan of the original), but a simple "I like the old theme better" would suffice. augen rollen

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Purkake4 said:
Sounds like he was going for a zero punctuation thing, kind of annoying...

yeah , I am not liking this style too , he usually review games in his VBlogs and he actually talk/rant longer about them and gave us more information.

A not very convincing follow up. The game might still be crap, but he's wrong in using his so so review as a crutch to defend his standpoint.

this guy is such a douche
spoony said:
Sorry, I mentioned how every other aspect of your game sucked, I just forgot to talk about how the dodging, stamina, and parry systems suck, too.

This argument amuses the hell out of me. “Yes, our game is crap, but for $10, what did you expect? It’s like ordering Cup O’ Noodles and expecting something edible.” And I’m delusional for expecting entertainment out of my $10. So sorry, Spike, I’ll remember what you consider to be $10 of entertainment next time you release a game.

And next time, Spike, spell my fucking name right. It’s Spoony. With a capital S. As in, your game is Shit with a capital S.

Remember it, because people listen to what I have to say.

getting worked up enough to basically make a video follow-up of "you're wrong" to all his commenters

Definitely a douche, but Spike's reply was pretty sad, too. They make a shitty game, rip people off for their money, and unlike other developers who have the decency to keep silent while they swindle you, proceed to whine that they're being picked on. It's only $10? That's $10 people could have spent on a game that didn't suck. Blah blah blah external factors blah blah, it's still a crappy game that people can't get a refund for and that's the bottom line.

Requeim

Prime crotch said:
this guy is such a douche

He really isn't though, you also have to consider the amount of trolling he has to deal with every single time he makes a new video. Sure he should ignore all that stuff, but people deal with shit like that differently.

Also, deadliest warrior is actually a shit game, so it's not like he is actually wrong or off the mark in his opinion.

Rufus

That's fair, but grandiose lines like this one...
Remember it, because people listen to what I have to say.
...just make me shake my head. However true it might actually be (I don't know how big is audience is and I don't read the comments to his videos).

Requeim said:
He really isn't though, you also have to consider the amount of trolling he has to deal with every single time he makes a new video. Sure he should ignore all that stuff, but people deal with shit like that differently.

Also, deadliest warrior is actually a shit game, so it's not like he is actually wrong or off the mark in his opinion.
oh please, he can dish out but can't take it, resorting to threats like the fell swoop of the banhammer, it's getting to buckley levels of douchiness

Prime crotch said:
oh please, he can dish out but can't take it, resorting to threats like the fell swoop of the banhammer, it's getting to buckley levels of douchiness
Yep, he's literally one sex offence away from hitting the big-time.

eXistor

His problem lately is that he tries to do too much and only once in a while can he hit his previous heights. I have nothing against vlogs, I like those actually. He should really, really choose a project and stick with it. Make more FFX reviews and focus on that, the two he made were classic. There was one Deadly Premonition video. That one was great, but when, if ever, are we gonna see another one?

In the meantime he's wasting his time on this lame Deadliest Warrior flamewar, forum troubles (just shut that fucking place down and be done with it), Wrestling nonsense, random appearances at places I've never heard of and will never visit again. Too many commentaries that are by and large, pretty boring.

In the old days, he didn't update that much, but almost every single video was golden. Now I'm glad if it's 1 out of 10.

Requeim

eXistor said:
Wrestling nonsense.

As a guy with pretty much no interest in wrestling, i have to say, those rants are awesome. I love to put em on in the background when gaming or doing something else. If nothing else, you can laugh at his enthusiasm for it.

Johann

Prime crotch said:

The bigger issue is Scarlett molly-cuddling Spoony and crushing any negative comments. It's a huge conflict of interest to have your significant other governing your feedback.

Johann said:
The bigger issue is Scarlett molly-cuddling Spoony and crushing any negative comments. It's a huge conflict of interest to have your significant other governing your feedback.
Which is pretty funny given his comment in the Mazes and Monsters video about players who are boning each other on the side.

MechaX

Prime crotch said:

I'm not saying what he pulled wasn't douche-esque, but again, the guy has had some major problems with his forums for the past few years (to the point where some members spill into other forums wrecking shit and created a pretty bad rep for his forum in that internet reviewer circle he's in).

eXistor said:
His problem lately is that he tries to do too much and only once in a while can he hit his previous heights. I have nothing against vlogs, I like those actually. He should really, really choose a project and stick with it. Make more FFX reviews and focus on that, the two he made were classic. There was one Deadly Premonition video. That one was great, but when, if ever, are we gonna see another one?

This is pretty much my main concern with his content as well. It really seems like he just takes on too many things at once, including his different unfinished game stuff, movies, random wrestling stuff, vlog updates, and even more random stuff that I probably won't watch. I wish he just stuck with on or two games for the most part (in this case, FFX and Deadly Premonition), kept the blogs fairly to a minimum (not posting them so frequently, but posting them when people start questioning on whether he's still alive or not to keep the interest drummed up), and maybe release a movie review every now and then. I mean, this is why you rarely see people with multiple Lets Plays of games at one time; it creates a big deterrence in terms of getting stuff done and that's why they typically stick to a single game, two at max.

Rufus said:
That's fair, but grandiose lines like this one...

...just make me shake my head. However true it might actually be (I don't know how big is audience is and I don't read the comments to his videos).

Consider the fact that someone at Spike not only watched his review, but felt it necessary to actually write a direct rebuttal. It's obviously big enough for Spike to worry about if they're willing to go through that amount of effort, and that was sort of the point of that line.

Lonewolf_92 said:
Consider the fact that someone at Spike not only watched his review, but felt it necessary to actually write a direct rebuttal. It's obviously big enough for Spike to worry about if they're willing to go through that amount of effort, and that was sort of the point of that line.
See, the thing about the whole "DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM?" spiel is, even if you really are a big shot, doing that still makes you come off like an unbelievable cockface.

Purkake4

Banned
Everyone who produces anything on the web has to deal with negative comments. You either take them into account or ignore them, no need to be a dick about it. If it was a troll you're giving them what they want and if it was a genuine comment you'll just piss them off.

He should just kill that cesspit of a forum and focus on doing a few things at a time.

micster

Purkake4 said:
Shall we start a countdown on how long till he'll promise to shut the site down and never do another video again?
That wont happen. Blip income is basically all the money some video reviewers earn and I think Spoony mentioned how the reviews are basically his job. At the end of the day he doesnt care that people are going to his site and posting hate comments, because it means they're going to the site and watching the review, thus earning him more money.

Ive started doing some video reviews but of course im ultra small fry and dont have a fanbase, so the comments I do get I can reply to without going nuclear and going 'YALL DICKS' in a video. That said I do think Spoony is going -slightly- overboard with some of the things he's saying. But ah well. I still think he's a funny guy and I'll still watch his stuff.

MechaX

Spoony's Twitter said:
- Honestly, one of the joys I get out of life is in banning whiny, ass-wounded punktards. Keep it up.

- Waa, Spoony's being mean and angry again, and he's banning people. And he took my lolly. It's my site, ban-meat. I'll do the fuck I want.

- Honestly, I'm glad I'm pissing so many people off lately. Means I'm doing my job. I tell it like it is. I'm in your way. Get used to it.

All within the span of an hour. Yeah... he's definitely getting a bit out of the gourd with this internet flame-war/drama stuff.

Zomba13

One thing I don't get about all this Spoony hate now is why erupt over the Deadliest Warrior game? I mean it really isn't that great of a game and there honestly are much better games available at that price and the fact it wasn't a big budget title doesn't excuse them.
I don't get why people are going overboard and flaming Spoony over this game of all the games he's said are crap and has hated(Spoony is perhaps going overboard on the retaliation though).

Top Bottom