• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Spoony Experiment

G-Fex

I've got a lot of Respect for the Spoony one. Especially since he took his time to make another video explaining MORE into depth of why this game is awful. He didn't even have to though really but he made the video.

I'm guessing the dude is under stress lately. I can't blame him. I delete my bullshit comments from my youtube videos. I'm not just going to leave it there, it's not about well taking criticism it's about fucking pointless douchebags ragging on you, especially on youtube. I'm surprised Chris Bores (The Irate gamer) doesn't do that since well..man people really rip into him in the comments section.

Holepunch

Zomba13 said:
One thing I don't get about all this Spoony hate now is why erupt over the Deadliest Warrior game? I mean it really isn't that great of a game and there honestly are much better games available at that price and the fact it wasn't a big budget title doesn't excuse them.
I don't get why people are going overboard and flaming Spoony over this game of all the games he's said are crap and has hated(Spoony is perhaps going overboard on the retaliation though).

It's not that everyone is closeted Deadliest Warrior: The Game fans. It's the fact Spoony can't take any criticism and has a crazy-inflated ego. You can say you like a video overall, but if you say the theme song was terrible (which it was) then you're a TROLL and Spoony is going to break out the BANHAMMER.

I mean I like this guy's videos, but I'm starting to hope his site starts going under just so it can knock his ego down a couple notches.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I enjoy Spoony's videos, he makes me laugh. Though he needs to calm down, he needs to go back to his FFVIII days where he ignored the trolling.
I think Kickassia broke him, that is the aftermath of assholes that said he didn't have a big role and everyone that wasn't Spoony can go die.

Nowadays he doesn't take criticism well.
I think people need to take a page from James Rolfe's book and ignore the drama.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
BatDan said:
I enjoy Spoony's videos, he makes me laugh. Though he needs to calm down, he needs to go back to his FFVIII days where he ignored the trolling.
I think Kickassia broke him, that is the aftermath of assholes that said he didn't have a big role and everyone that wasn't Spoony can go die.

Nowadays he doesn't take criticism well.
I think people need to take a page from James Rolfe's book and ignore the drama.

Well, it isn't so much that Kickassia broke him, it is that the trolls have gotten so bad that his business relationships with TGWTG.com have been affected by them.

Johann

Zomba13 said:
One thing I don't get about all this Spoony hate now is why erupt over the Deadliest Warrior game? I mean it really isn't that great of a game and there honestly are much better games available at that price and the fact it wasn't a big budget title doesn't excuse them.
I don't get why people are going overboard and flaming Spoony over this game of all the games he's said are crap and has hated(Spoony is perhaps going overboard on the retaliation though).

Noah and his brother absolutely hate the Deadliest Warrior television show. Naturally, he'll take special notice of what would normally be a forgettable licensed fighting game.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Shard said:
Well, it isn't so much that Kickassia broke him, it is that the trolls have gotten so bad that his business relationships with TGWTG.com have been affected by them.

That's more like it. He likes doing work with TGWTG, when his sycophant fans go insane whenever he does a crossover then he gets pissed. You want to stick up for your friends.

I never understood the hate for crossovers.

Jazzem

I can't believe people complained he didn't get a big enough role in Kickassia...not only does he have one of the biggest parts (among with starring heavily in some of the best scenes), he even said on his commentary that he was honoured to have been featured so heavily in the script.

Cday

Banned
It strikes me as odd that he has his own forums. He's kind of asking for it in that I imagine only nutjobs and trolls would post there.

BatDan said:

This. The Nerd doesn't seem to give two shits what people think. He just keeps doing his thing and there's just no sign of his popularity going down.

MechaX

Purkake4 said:
The followup has 1200+ comments already, I don't think I want to see what they're talking about.

Out of all the games to stir up the hornet's nest, I'm really surprised that it's due to a shovelware game like Deadliest Warrior.

G-Fex

Wow this movie is bad.

A film student's final exam could do better.

But it's so great, I mean the paper that's duct taped over the room to make it look like a hospital. :lol :lol :lol

LiK

i think Spoony only made a follow up to his Deadliest Warrior reviewcuz the devs actually contacted him.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
LiK said:
i think Spoony only made a follow up to his Deadliest Warrior reviewcuz the devs actually contacted him.

Well, that and he wanted to bash the hornets nest again.

Link1110

There:s something weird with movies on TSE, when I ue DownloadHelper to download them, they play weird in VLC, having a yellow line in the middle. This only happens on TSE. What could cause that?

Purkake4

Banned
Spoony's twitter:

I will make the Rifftrax available online as an audio file, which can be played with the legally-purchased accompanying DVD. 5 minutes ago via TweetDeck
At the request of the film’s creators, I am removing all video content of After Last Season from my website. 6 minutes ago via TweetDeck

G-Fex

OH COME ON THAT BLOWS!

Yeah cause I'm sure they're losing a whole lot of money putting it on the internet for everyone.

I don't know if people would really like to buy that dvd for riffs sake. I might but I don't know.

LiK

G-Fex said:
OH COME ON THAT BLOWS!

Yeah cause I'm sure they're losing a whole lot of money putting it on the internet for everyone.

I don't know if people would really like to buy that dvd for riffs sake. I might but I don't know.

yea, i never even heard of the movie before and i doubt i'll bother. maybe if it's on netflix streaming, i 'll check it out with the rifftrax

My god, had to chec, out After Last Season's trailer, cant believe how bad it looks, i really want to see this movie.. its like The Room bad, maybe worst:lol :lol

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
WANTED: Video Editor!

smh , sorry Spoony , I like you and all but holy shit this is pure laziness.

most of not all internet reviews I watch do the editing themselves , most of top TGWTG team guys do ( Linkara , Cinema Snob , the Sage , Nostalgia Chick , Phelous even that British kid Film Brain all do the editing themselves ) , if you don't have the time to put your own soul into it don't do it at all.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
This Spoony dude is a real cunt. His review of Deadliest Warrior was terrible, even if the game isn't perfect. Meanwhile, the Spike devs have been incredible. They're actually what convinced me to buy the game. They're on GameFAQs (of all places) nearly every day talking about the game.

How many arcade games get a substantial patch as quickly as this game has? It's not out yet but should be any day now. And it includes a free new mode on top of that.

MechaX

Emerson said:
This Spoony dude is a real cunt. His review of Deadliest Warrior was terrible, even if the game isn't perfect. Meanwhile, the Spike devs have been incredible. They're actually what convinced me to buy the game. They're on GameFAQs (of all places) nearly every day talking about the game.

How many arcade games get a substantial patch as quickly as this game has? It's not out yet but should be any day now. And it includes a free new mode on top of that.

Isn't this line of thinking more concerned with how the Spike Devs are pretty nice guys and not the line of thinking that a bad game is still a bad game? I mean, where are you even going with this? The guys who made Big Rigs could be really friendly guys who are very active in the game community and try really hard to patch the game and what not, but that's not going to fix the fact that the game is bad.

As for the video editing stuff, I mean... So many people complain that he's too slow, he thinks of a way to release videos faster with a higher frequency than he's ever done before (1 review a week as opposed to like 2 or so a month), and he's lazy for it. Alright.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Zabka said:
The guy wants to get a video editor so he can produce more videos and that makes him lazy?

Not even that, he wants to cut down on production time so that he can get a semblance of a regular schedule down.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
MechaX said:
Isn't this line of thinking more concerned with how the Spike Devs are pretty nice guys and not the line of thinking that a bad game is still a bad game? I mean, where are you even going with this? The guys who made Big Rigs could be really friendly guys who are very active in the game community and try really hard to patch the game and what not, but that's not going to fix the fact that the game is bad.

Because the game isn't nearly as bad as this guy acts like it is. The main problems with it are performance and exploit related, all of which have been fixed by this upcoming patch. This guy just enjoys talking shit.

vocab

Emerson said:
Because the game isn't nearly as bad as this guy acts like it is. The main problems with it are performance and exploit related, all of which have been fixed by this upcoming patch. This guy just enjoys talking shit.

It's a piss poor fighting game. Of course he would talk shit on it.

Crisis

Banned
Emerson said:

Emerson said:
This Spoony dude is a real cunt.

By the way, I'm pretty sure Spoony mentioned exploits as one of the reasons that the game wasn't very good. So basically, he's talking shit about something that is actually factual? Wow. That almost sounds like a review.

MechaX

Emerson said:

It seems like the Gaming Press at the very least agrees with Spoony's assessment to some degree. And no, I didn't just glance at the scores, I did read some of these reviews and I'm not seeing how a patch can fix the common complaint of a bland/broken combat system flawed from the ground up without just.. making a new game entirely.

Even if one relies on the argument that the gaming press doesn't know its head from its ass (which is a possibility we'll entertain in this case), then we go by the opinion of the average gamer (and despite the exaggerated shtick of all video game reviewers, Spoony did present evidence to the game's faults as opposed to you saying "It's not that bad!") or we draw the line that any one who doesn't think too highly of this game is objectively wrong. Seeing the way this discussion is going, probably the latter.

G-Fex

I agree with all of Spoony's comments in the follow up. He forceplayed himself five hours of something he didn't like so you can't say he didn't do his homework or that he's completely wrong.

I like Spoony for humor but if I`m looking for a standard, critical review on a game I will look elsewhere. He main angle seems to be humor which is fine, as for me he hits the target but I find that there is little logical value behind the actual review portion of his videos, so I don't think anyone should take it seriously.

Rufus

Lionheart1337 said:
I like Spoony for humor but if I`m looking for a standard, critical review on a game I will look elsewhere. He main angle seems to be humor which is fine, as for me he hits the target but I find that there is little logical value behind the actual review portion of his videos, so I don't think anyone should take it seriously.
In regards to the FF videos or just in general? If it's the former, then yes, he does exaggerate for effect, sure, and sometimes he's forcing it (spell drawing in FFVIII, luggage kicking for free potions on the ship in FFX), but most of the points are actually valid.

Rufus said:
In regards to the FF videos or just in general? If it's the former, then yes, he does exaggerate for effect, sure, and sometimes he's forcing it (spell drawing in FFVIII, luggage kicking for free potions on the ship in FFX), but most of the points are actually valid.

Mostly the FF videos but I don't watch everything that he does. His movie reviews seem okay but he judges video games like they are movies....the large majority of the FFX review is him bashing the fiction....instead of actual game criticisms like the design and tech. Most of his points are valid because he's so focused on the inconsistencies of the fiction rather than the actual game. He actually praised the battle system which is something I would expect a "review" to devote more time to but really he spent like 30 seconds on it (out of how many 20+ minute installments so far?). Which is why I don't tend to take his reviews that are in a similar vein as this one seriously.

Some of his reviews are reliable and give you a good critical look at things but I can't say the FF reviews are among them. The reviews where he just sits in front of the camera and talks give a more critical view (check out the fallout/mass effect stuff to see what I mean).

I just hate seeing fanboys up in arms about these reviews, and skeptics swayed away.

Zomba13

Lionheart1337 said:
Mostly the FF videos but I don't watch everything that he does. His movie reviews seem okay but he judges video games like they are movies....the large majority of the FFX review is him bashing the fiction....instead of actual game criticisms like the design and tech. Most of his points are valid because he's so focused on the inconsistencies of the fiction rather than the actual game. He actually praised the battle system which is something I would expect a "review" to devote more time to but really he spent like 30 seconds on it (out of how many 20+ minute installments so far?). Which is why I don't tend to take his reviews that are in a similar vein as this one seriously.

Some of his reviews are reliable and give you a good critical look at things but I can't say the FF reviews are among them. The reviews where he just sits in front of the camera and talks give a more critical view (check out the fallout/mass effect stuff to see what I mean).

I just hate seeing fanboys up in arms about these reviews, and skeptics swayed away.
His Vlogs are more proper review. Like when he does a vlog on a new film he's seen or a game he's been playing he generally reviews all aspects of it and not just to make people laugh. His 'proper' reviews (like the FFVIII and FFX ones) are more doing it for the laughs, exagerating things, ranting, poking fun at odd things etc.
Anyway, when it comes to spoony I take his vlogs as a more serious 'this is what I think of x game/movie' and his reviews where he has his intro and it's part of 'the spoony experiment' show sort of thing as part his opinions part over exaggerations and jokes.

Rufus

Lionheart1337 said:
instead of actual game criticisms like the design and tech.
Hard to make that funny. Which this is supposed to be, with the ass counter and things like that. It's not supposed to be a review. Zomba summed it up pretty well.

Lionheart1337 said:
Uh, okay. Me too, I guess?

MechaX

*After Al Bhed city gets nuked*
Wakka: "Hey... Don't get so down..."
Wakka: "Boom! Like happy festival fireworks, yah?!"
Rikku: :(

Top Bottom