• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2017 |OT| Playing Trauma Center in Space and Hollywood

NeonZ

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is there a toku show where either there is no monster-of-the-week or there is no transforming back to a human. The latter is really annoying as I tend to despise the childish humour/drama.

I saw a couple episodes of Gaim which was said to improve on this, but I never stayed hooked.

Gaim changes a lot after the first 10 or so episodes. The show isn't focused on Beat Riders fighting for rankings. That's just a set up for the protagonists.

Anyway, try Kamen Rider Agito since it goes straight into the plot and mysteries (although ends up slower than Gaim eventually due to that).

WarRock

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is there a toku show where either there is no monster-of-the-week or there is no transforming back to a human. The latter is really annoying as I tend to despise the childish humour/drama.

I saw a couple episodes of Gaim which was said to improve on this, but I never stayed hooked.

Also any of you aware of HeroXLine?. I just found out about some of the manga and it looks really cool but barely any of it is translated. Maybe I should focus on manga as I like what I've read of Apocalypse Zero and Guyver.
Wait, what?

Anyway, yeah, stick with Gaim some more or try Agito. Ishinomori manga may be more of your thing, but even the most drama based ones follow the monster of the week formula.

I'd guess he's talking about how Dopants, Zodiarts, Bugsters, etc become monsters, but become normal humans again after being defeated or separate from the humans into their own being.

I'm talking about the protagonist. I don't want them to become human again as it just leads to bad comedy/drama.

WarRock

You are mostly out of luck them, since transforming heroes is one the big things about the genre. Even when it's not the case (Giant Robo, Robot Detective K, Skullman), you'll encounter the monster of the week formula.

I mean, you mentioned liking Guyver and Guyver has both of those things (though it is not as dependent of the monster of the week).

Edit:
I was going to mention reading Henshin Ninja Arashi but not sure if you would count that as transforming back to human?

NeonZ

I'm talking about the protagonist. I don't want them to become human again as it just leads to bad comedy/drama.

What? So, do you mean a human form or just "human" in general? If you want a protagonist without a face actor... yeah, that doesn't happen. A few do become something other than human permanently, but they still have a form with human appearance.

WarRock

Specially when toku heroes are basically super-heroes, and all they do is wear costumes to fight in a slightly different context. If you want characters that just do their stuff without changing forms, then there are one billion of other stories doing that, both in TV and comics?

Sandfox

Modern Kamen Rider series have moved away from monsters of week a bit and it's probably because of budget cuts. Now they just find creative ways to reuse villains.

WarRock

Still have victims of the week, and besides Gaim that deliberately moved away from both the monster of the week and 2-parter formula, I'm not sure if 3 seasons is enough to say that "modern Kamen Rider moved away" from it.

Heck, even Amazons uses it.

WillyFive

You can't have a Toku without a human character on TV anymore because it will alienate the second biggest audience for the genre today: women. Without the human face actor part (specifically the pretty boy actors and J-drama), the only viable market the show will only appeal to children. Remember, teens and men are a non-market for Toku in Japan, as they are the least likely to have the money or time to buy the toys or watch the show (as they are completely engulfed in school and work life and already have a billion other otaku stuff that is much more successful already competing for them).

Even in the US, Western Toku like Arrow, The Flash, and Doctor Who live and breathe by being able to attract and keep their female audience. If they didn't, they would be dead.

vareon

I can't think an example of bad/childish humor/drama caused by the hero transforming back to human? Is it something like a forced secret identity?

ZoddGutts

Modern Kamen Rider series have moved away from monsters of week a bit and it's probably because of budget cuts. Now they just find creative ways to reuse villains.

Toei is pretty damn cheap for all their shows in general, not just Toku but with anime despite how big their IP is, Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon etc. Heck whenever I watch Garo it sometimes surprises me how good their CG is since it returned (2011), Sentai/Kamen has really bad CG in comparison. Ultraman has good CG/FX as well.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
f2CzFHO.gif

Apharmd

Also any of you aware of HeroXLine?. I just found out about some of the manga and it looks really cool but barely any of it is translated. Maybe I should focus on manga as I like what I've read of Apocalypse Zero and Guyver.

Watch Kamen Rider Amazons. There's transforming back to human but I get the feeling that's more up your alley.

javadoze

Ex-Aid 31

-Remember how I thought the show was still decent even when Dan was gone? I take it back. This episode showed me how much I actually missed him, the glorious bastard.

-They've pretty much resorted to ditching the mech suit for Maximum Mighty in the previous Emu VS Pallad fight and the last fight this episode. While I love the workaround, Muteki can't come soon enough to render it obsolete.

-Next week:
even though it's the big standoff against Pallad and the introduction of Kamen Rider Chronos, it's still the early 30s and we're not even at the endgame yet?
Ex-Aid has been quite a packed show in the plot department.

Nobody aware of this?

top10.jpg

20090415e38381e383a9e382b72.jpg

It seems so cool. It was a short-lived magazine called HeroXLine where the characters all existed in one universe like Marvel/DC. Only one of the manga called Void was translated. I already commision a guy on Patreon to scanlate manga I want. When that one finishes I'm going to ask him to start on some of these.

I'm catching up on Ex-Aid because of these gifs and the good word of mouth. Damn this show is good. The silly costumes and premise are deceptive.

Also, I finished Zyuranger and am watching Dairanger now. The fight choreography and posing is on a whole 'nother level. Their roll call is amazing.

Toxi

Banned
Man, I really hate the Tridoron transformations in Drive. Going from that sexy car to pure horrible CGI just looks awful, especially for Type Technic.
I'm catching up on Ex-Aid because of these gifs and the good word of mouth. Damn this show is good. The silly costumes and premise are deceptive.
The costumes have really grown on me. I love how colorful and creative they are.

Tiu Neo

Man, I really hate the Tridoron transformations in Drive. Going from that sexy car to pure horrible CGI just looks awful, especially for Type Technic.

Everything Type Technic is awful, heh.

Well, at least they used the car transformation something like 5 times?

Tiu Neo

Kyuranger 14

I like how weird the monster powers are on Kyuranger.

Silly but fun episode. This was good, since it focused more on other characters that are not Lucky. Even the running gag was pretty funny.

The only problem I had with this is that Garu is still pretty much only a Lucky fanboy. That character deserved a lot more. I love to see him fighting.

This episode's main team has the same color scheme as Go-Busters, and the ground team was the classic tree-person sentai color scheme, heh.

Next episode, Hammy focus! I hope without Lucky stealing it, this time.

Nobody aware of this?

top10.jpg

20090415e38381e383a9e382b72.jpg

It seems so cool. It was a short-lived magazine called HeroXLine where the characters all existed in one universe like Marvel/DC. Only one of the manga called Void was translated. I already commision a guy on Patreon to scanlate manga I want. When that one finishes I'm going to ask him to start on some of these.

That is really cool.

Tiu Neo

Ex-Aid 31

Even if the series is pretty good without Dan, it's much better with him. Nico is another great character and I'm glad they are doing what they are doing with her.

Heh, that armor becape pretty much a power up checkpoint. Eh, better this way, I guess. Anyway, this episode's fight was pretty cool. They used more of the power up tokens, and we had even a bit of wire-fu!

Finally a second power up gashat for Hiro/Taiga, no more need to share it, heh.

I see why my twitter feed had a few Kuroto and Poppy fanart now. Next episode, Chronos.

Amazons S2 6

The episode was good, had nice conflicts, more things falling into it's place... But really, most of it was overshadowed by those last 3 minutes. Can't wait for the next one.

And Mamoru really is kind of this season's (non-human) villain, huh?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Garu's a reverse-Poochy.

Wonder if his heterochromia (one eye red, one eye blue) might be a plot point and not a weird Deviant-tier design choice...speaking of which, you can probably make him in Sonic Forces lol.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Garu's a reverse-Poochy.

Wonder if his heterochromia (one eye red, one eye blue) might be a plot point and not a weird Deviant-tier design choice...speaking of which, you can probably make him in Sonic Forces lol.
despite popular with OC donut steels and garbage anime designs, it's actually quite uncommon with dogs and wolves
O7DwG9r.jpg
1108196db4499c4411d804fc0adac817.jpg
dogs-heterochromia_www.wall321.com_98.jpg

WarRock

It's pretty common in cats too.

And it actually wasn't. This was the tv debut of Kazuya Kamihoriuchi, the director of the Specter V-Cinema and GoRiders.
Oooh, nice. If you told me beforehand the Specter director was doing this I was going to be worried, but seems that restriction makes him better.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
im gonna be honest. amazons is the best cape show that few outside of japan are watching. whenever that theme hits, you know fuckery is coming. and my boy is (hopefully) back next week.

regarding ex-aid
they STILL have a spot for lazer in the intro? i wonder if thats alluding to who chronicle is next week

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Kyuranger 14

Hijinks! Something something luck kind of tired of the whole "luck" theme going on.
The part where Raptor was shaking Longbao in anger was funny though.
At least they're going to other planets again next week. Sweet.

Ex-Aid 31

Kuroto seriously makes the show so much better. Not that it was bad with him gone, but it's another level.
Something big has to happen next week since it's only 32 and they're talking "end game". Something with Chornos I'm sure.

Amazons 19

I hate how Chihiro's entire character is "Iyu Iyu Iyu Iyu". It's boring! The other aspects of the show are great though. Finally seeing Jin.

Watch Da Birdie

Maybe a coincidence but I found this interesting...it's all about Gekitotsu Robot.

t2PJE8P.jpg

This is a Game Boy Color title developed by Japan System Supply and released in the West by Capcom known as "Power Quest", in which you fight using robots...

FhSAG49.jpg

The main robot, Max, is red and seems to specialize in punching...

And the Japanese title of the game? Gekitou Power Modeler.

Like I said, perhaps a coincidence, but be interesting if they were inspired by this obscure title.

Zynx

This might be my first Kamen Rider SH Figuarts. Love that costume.

I'm thinking the same. I don't collect any models or anything but Dangerous Zombie is just too good.

I wonder if Kuroto's actor will move on to become a big star kind of like the Kabuto or Den-O actors?

Watch Da Birdie

Dan's actor is actually a licensed pharmacist as well as a member of Japanese MENSA.

He seems to be doing good.

Its probably the reason he hams it up so hard.

He knows he doesn't need to act along specific expectations to get a career in the Japanese TV and film world. He can just go mad, because he already has a career outside of it.

I feel like a lot of young actors in Sentai and Rider hold themselves back because of the shows being springboards to the rest of the industry. They don't want to go too out there in case they get typecast or something.

Top Bottom