• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2017 |OT| Playing Trauma Center in Space and Hollywood

Tiu Neo

Didn't mother and daughter fight side by side in the Kiva movie?

Did they transform? I don't really remember, and can't check right now, but I remember they transforming was rare, in the series, and they could fight even without transforming.

Tiu Neo

They both used EXA

In the movie? Cool, I just remember liking the movie because of the mother/daughter and father/son interactions, but don't really remember much more about it.

I remember they did once in the series, and it was hype.

jwk94

Never thought i'd see the day where two female rider transform and fight together.

LMAO at Dan coming back. This dude's crazy as hell and I love it.

FAKE EDIT:
Forgot about the Kiva movie. That scene in the show where they take down Rook in different time periods was boss, though.

Slayven

Never thought i'd see the day where two female rider transform and fight together.

LMAO at Dan coming back. This dude's crazy as hell and I love it.

FAKE EDIT:
Forgot about the Kiva movie. That scene in the show where they take down Rook in different time periods was boss, though.
But that awesome Baroon Booster footage

Tiu Neo

Kyuranger 13

So, we finally got a better look at the main villain (looks cool), and their ranks (so, Scorpio is an assassin, but there is a level above that). Some resolution with the Champ/Stinger situation (that would make a bit more sense if it was earlier, or if their rivalry was a bit stronger. Or maybe Stinger could just have told Champ about Scorpio, huh.It WOULD make a difference.)

I love that first person perspective. Love to see them doing different things like that.

And dat Rider Kick by Takatora.

Now... wtf happened to Spada's hair? This normally only happens on the crossover with the next team, lol.

Next episode, Garu focus? I hope so.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Kyuranger 13

That's one way to deal with the massive cast, write three of them out for a bit.
Scorpio's great, loved the sudden Rider Kick.

Ex-Aid 30

Holy shit Kuroto's back! I figured he would be since he didn't get flowers (but then Graphite did and he came back) but wow. Still just as hammy, only now forced into "good". But hey, props to Ex-Aid for still being good even when he wasn't around.

Amazons 18

Probably the best episode of Season 2 so far since Chihiro was barely in it, and we got story.
Didn't expect Mamoru to be the main villain. At least at this point. Who knows what Jin is up to, and if that arm is his.

Toxi

Banned
Ex-Aid is really great. Finally caught up. Kuroto returning is surprisingly well-handled.

Drive is... Not so great. Though I heard it gets better.

Tiu Neo

It does, but it's no Gaim or Fourze, but way better than Wizard.

I think some things it did better than those two, like villains, and some it did better than others, like support cast better than Gaim.

The problem is that the first part is not that good, because sometimes they force plot points that could be single episodes into two parters.

Still, they fix that mid-series, and it gets better at each episode, imo. Then again, I may not be the best person to give an opinion on that, I liked Drive way more than Gaim, lol.

Big One

Banned
Here's how I'm ranking the Neo-Hesei so far:

Gaim
W
Ex-Aid (so far)
OOO
Drive
Fourze
Ghost (so far)
Wizard

I'm working on finishing Ghost but it might take longer. I like all the above series except for Wizard, but me finishing Ghost might change that opinion, lol. Ghost is actually pretty interesting right now with the Ganma World plotline I'm watching right now.

javadoze

Kyuranger 9-13

Episode 9: 4
Episode 10: 4
Episode 11: 4.5
Episode 12: 138
Episode 13: 2

"YOSHA LUCKY"s overall: 199*

-I'm really loving the arc setup in the show so far with Ikagen being the first major villain (and possibly Scorpio being set up as the next major one?).

-Xiao as RyuCommander is glorious.

-Kotaro is actually pretty decent for a child character. Gotta give props to the writing team and his actor for not making him annoying.

-The villain suits in this show are still quite top-notch.

-Overall, while I feel the show can be somewhat cluttered at times, when it finally does settle down and gives proper focus to characters, it does well. So I can only see Kotaro, Stinger, and Champ leaving momentarily as a good thing.

*As per my scientific method, I counted the Luckys in the episode 12 scene. Made up of two rings, the outer ring amounted to 65 Luckys, but I couldn't get an exact approximation of the inner ring, but the count came up similar, so I assumed that was made up of another 65 Luckys as well.

*Another interrupted "Yosha Lucky" in episode 11 finally evened the count out to a whole number.

*I'm counting Xiao saying "Yosha Lucky" in episode 12. While this may be counterproductive to a study about how much a catchphrase is said, I'm letting this one slide.

Tiu Neo

Ex-Aid 30

Nice to see the girls get (or at least try) to fight and do something.

Dan is back, yay. And with new OP powers, and as kind of an ally, now, heh. Good to see he's still good old Dan.

Kyuranger 9-13

Episode 9: 4
Episode 10: 4
Episode 11: 4.5
Episode 12: 138
Episode 13: 2

"YOSHA LUCKY"s overall: 199*

Only 2 last episode? I wonder if this will continue low, since next episode looks like it will also not focus on Lucky.

WarRock

I will eventually catch up with Amazons. Just watched Ex-Aid 29. Super Puzzle Fighter Rider also had a great debut. This season is knocking out (heh) of the park with the new form debuts.

Ex Aid 23-30

This series is the fucking shit. I'm pretty sure by the end it'll have overtaken Gaim for me and I love Gaim.

I skimmed through the thread a bit (nice to see some Ghost hate), but what's the general consensus on Kyu so far? It really wasn't pulling me in where I left off, which was whatever episode Orange first fought the team. Has it gotten better? Is Red going to piss me off? Is there any decent development for Sparda? Or can I just skip it.

NeonZ

I've been enjoying how they're handling the arc progression. Character focus has been problematic though, but last episode actually was pretty good regarding that.

NeonZ

Shouldn't we be hearing Next Rider rumors?

The trademark should appear by the end of this month or middle of the next one based on historical precedent (most recent one was mid June, but previously it was revealed twice near the end of May). There's a rumor thread on 2ch, but I don't think there's any rumor from anyone who has leaked real information before.

Slayven

The trademark should appear by the end of this month or middle of the next one based on historical precedent (most recent one was mid June, but previously it was revealed twice near the end of May). There's a rumor thread on 2ch, but I don't think there's any rumor from anyone who has leaked real information before.

Yeah i was thinking isn't the new thing to show the new rider off in the teamup movie?

Tiu Neo

I skimmed through the thread a bit (nice to see some Ghost hate), but what's the general consensus on Kyu so far? It really wasn't pulling me in where I left off, which was whatever episode Orange first fought the team. Has it gotten better? Is Red going to piss me off? Is there any decent development for Sparda? Or can I just skip it.

It's ok. Has some problems, but they are easily fixable, imo. Red is kinda annoying, but they toned him a bit down last episode, and next one preview makes it look like it will focus on other characters.

WarRock

I've been enjoying Kyuranger less and less and the songs more and more. Would've dropped it during the last 3 or 4 episodes if it weren't for the nice moments with the mechs (Xiao's really cool). Garbage characterization and most of the interesting experimental stuff with individualizing the characters through their powers/origins/suits or having Earth dominated by the Big Bad Empire evaporated in like 3 episodes.

I still can't buy Garu being such a Lucky fanboy and how this is his only personality trait, holy crap.

Btw, it was nice how Hammy handled alone the same kaijin that took almost everyone to fight before.

Tiu Neo

Yeah, Garu could be such a cool character, but is wasted being Lucky's number 1 fan. We need more Raptor too. She did almost nothing since she got her powers.

And that's why they should focus less on Lucky for at least a few more episodes. Let the other characters shine.

Tiu Neo

Speaking of characters without time in the spotlight, when was the last time we saw Hiiro's father?

Two episodes ago, I guess? Eh, most of his time in scene is making funny faces and repeating Poppy/Hiiro's lines. He can be funny sometimes, but he's not really missed, imo.

NeonZ

Maybe it's because he's more and more a background character, lately.

Hope someone subs GoRider someday ;_;

You should just have watched Tv Nihon's subs for it. It likely will lose a lot of impact now that Dan has returned for real in the tv show.

Tiu Neo

You should just have watched Tv Nihon's subs for it. It likely will lose a lot of impact now that Dan has returned for real in the tv show.

Yeah, probably. To tell the truth, I didn't even know TV-N subbed it, but makes sense, they sub everything.

But eh, I'll probably watch it anyway, someday. Probably after I watch the movie. There's still Kiriya!

javadoze

Ex-Aid 25-30

-I appreciate how the stakes have been heightened with the introduction of Kamen Rider Chronicle. Not to mention how it gives them an excuse to make Nico a rider. Much more dedicated character moments too with the Nico/Taiga episode, the focus on Poppy as a villain, and even some scenes at CR with only Emu/Hiro.

-I'm still at odds with Emu as a protagonist. The stuff with him and Pallad is definitely interesting, but I still don't find him any more compelling personality-wise. When we do see Emu acting like Pallad, I know the actor is certainly capable of more. But as is, Emu's pretty one-note with his whole "I want to see patients smile again" thing.

-Poppy's definitely gotten better and more fleshed-out in this string of episodes.

-Maximum Mighty is still an abomination, but the fact that Ex-Aid can ditch the mech suit and fight in his normal Lvl 2 form (that's also Lvl 99?) alleviates things a bit. Especially nice with the Emu VS Pallad fight as not to make things awkward.

-Our lord and savior, Dan, is back. I need nothing else. (His revival might've been a bit of an asspull, but it's one that's totally worth it.)

Tiu Neo

^ Yeah, if it wasn't for the M/Pallad persona, Emu could easily be another Takeru.

But even if it was the case, at least the rest of the series isn't everyone saying how he is special, heh.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Thanks to TVTropes I realized Hyper Muteki (Invincible) is literally the Starman power-up from Mario.

Two episodes ago, I guess? Eh, most of his time in scene is making funny faces and repeating Poppy/Hiiro's lines. He can be funny sometimes, but he's not really missed, imo.

The only time I liked him was in that one episode where he watched Emu (in Bugster mode) and Poppy dance, otherwise he's the poor man's Chief.

Tiu Neo

The only time I liked him was in that one episode where he watched Emu (in Bugster mode) and Poppy dance, otherwise he's the poor man's Chief.

Yeah, on the first few episodes I kinda thought that, but even being compared to Chief is a bit more than he deserves. He's easily the weakest support cast member here.

Yeah, on the first few episodes I kinda thought that, but even being compared to Chief is a bit more than he deserves. He's easily the weakest support cast member here.

I think the show realized that. He was with them constantly every time they were in the CR Base, but slowly got phased out. I forgot he was a character until he showed up a few episodes ago.

Sandfox

I don't know how to feel about Heisei Generations. For every pro I can think of a con.

Mega Max still stands as the best Movie War.

I started up Magiranger but not sure I will stick with it. I like the magic theme and that the team is a family. That said, the tone is wonky and not what I am wanting. How they handled the
mother's death
let me dissatisfied.

NeonZ

I started up Magiranger but not sure I will stick with it. I like the magic theme and that the team is a family. That said, the tone is wonky and not what I am wanting. How they handled the
mother's death
let me dissatisfied.

Magiranger has a pretty strong running story later (starting from the late 10s) if you can get through those initial episodes.

Tiu Neo

mother's death
let me dissatisfied.

Magiranger... I like it, it's one of my favorite sentai, but depending in what you didn't like, maybe watch something else, yeah. It's a silly and sweet plot, lots of focus on romance and family.

That said, it has some great moments, lots of highs, good villains, and I really like how diva the sixth member is.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is there a toku show where either there is no monster-of-the-week or there is no transforming back to a human. The latter is really annoying as I tend to despise the childish humour/drama.

I saw a couple episodes of Gaim which was said to improve on this, but I never stayed hooked.

Also any of you aware of HeroXLine?. I just found out about some of the manga and it looks really cool but barely any of it is translated. Maybe I should focus on manga as I like what I've read of Apocalypse Zero and Guyver.

Top Bottom