• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2017 |OT| Playing Trauma Center in Space and Hollywood

Tiu Neo

Wowa, then the design is working! =)

Best Lv1 Ex-Aid cosplay.

Yep! The eyes look a bit like Belial's!

I'm kinda hyped for this, Belial fighting was fun, last season.

Ex-Aid 29

So, Pallad is also asshole gamer Emu, even if somehow they shared some scenes before, but somehow controlled him? Kinda strange, but not that unexpected, I guess.

At least they gave an explanation for how both can co-exist, but then we have to ask, why does Gamer M still show up on Emu sometimes, and why don't they extract the Bugsters like that from the other patients?

So... Para-DX 99 is kinda OP now, new Ex-Aid form soon-ish? Also, Dan will probably come back soon thanks to Poppy, won't he? (Was that him or Poppy transformed somehow? lol)

Big One

Banned
Man I dunno GAF...Ghost is kind of killing my excitement in terms of watching KR. I mean it's only one more season but it's soured me early on with some of this shit. At least Wizard had a good start, some good ideas, good OST, good action sequences, Gremlin, and some decent stories here and there. Ghost feels like a sentai series that's too afraid to be TOO quirky so stays in an awkward spot the entire time, and the monsters of the week being single episode enemies Gaim style doesn't lend itself into any real interesting or suspenseful stories. I hate to say it but I kind of miss the Den-O style format that's been plaguing the series after this shit.

I go into the episode pretty much knowing I'll be disappointed off the bat because nothing really happens and what does happens is resolved by the end of the episode. It's just boring.

The aesthetic of the show is pretty good but it suffers from Wizard's same issue in that it's theming doesn't really match up? Like why in the hell would a Ghost need a salamander mount?

NeonZ

They stop with the 1 monster per episode format around episode 10 when the first arc is heading to a conclusion. Ghost's early format was flawed because they attempted to give focus to the victim of the week even though the episodic format doesn't really give enough time for that. After that although one monster generally still will die every episode, the stories themselves generally become two parters. Ex-Aid's take on done in one stories (using the victims to further the characterization of the main cast rather than actually giving focus to them) was much better than Ghost's.

Still, I prefer early Ghost to the later episodes of Ghost itself after a certain point (30+). Specter's early debut and his conflict with Ghost was enough to keep my interest for a while.

Tiu Neo

Mind that Gamer Driver's can only be used by humans, so whoever is in that Genm suit has to be a human character.

Yep, that's why I said somehow, heh. But I wonder how it will be Dan, too. Wasn't his human form killed? I imagine that, if he came back, it would be as a data-thing or something like that.

Could be anyone or anything, really. If Pallad found one loophole, maybe Dan created another for him to come back too. Maybe using Poppy as a host body or something?

WillyFive

Man I dunno GAF...Ghost is kind of killing my excitement in terms of watching KR. I mean it's only one more season but it's soured me early on with some of this shit. At least Wizard had a good start, some good ideas, good OST, good action sequences, Gremlin, and some decent stories here and there. Ghost feels like a sentai series that's too afraid to be TOO quirky so stays in an awkward spot the entire time, and the monsters of the week being single episode enemies Gaim style doesn't lend itself into any real interesting or suspenseful stories. I hate to say it but I kind of miss the Den-O style format that's been plaguing the series after this shit.

I go into the episode pretty much knowing I'll be disappointed off the bat because nothing really happens and what does happens is resolved by the end of the episode. It's just boring.

The aesthetic of the show is pretty good but it suffers from Wizard's same issue in that it's theming doesn't really match up? Like why in the hell would a Ghost need a salamander mount?

Don't watch a show you don't like. There are 40 years worth of Toku shows out there, don't feel like you need to finish a show you hate. Ghost is not worth any of your time.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
parad-Ms swag levels were almost kuroto levels. the evil swag king cant let that slide

Tiu Neo

I wouldn't say Ghost was the worst modern KR, but it's down there, yes. They should have made more/started earlier with the Eyecons possessing people, that was kinda entertaining.

Parallax

Ghost is the worst modern Kamen Rider series.

the problem with ghost is that it was just stagnant, you have all the pieces for a fantastic season supernatural elements, historical figures, straddling life and death, and you waste it all in a sense that the director was struggling to keep the plot. outside of onari, i didnt care for any of the characters including the lead, and i really wanted to like makoto. speaking of makoto, that clone subplot? that shit went nowhere. honestly for seasons like this, it makes me wish someone was adapting kamen rider for the west, because with both this and wizard, i dont see how someone could get this worse.....

NeonZ

the problem with ghost is that it was just stagnant, you have all the pieces for a fantastic season supernatural elements, historical figures, straddling life and death, and you waste it all in a sense that the director was struggling to keep the plot. outside of onari, i didnt care for any of the characters including the lead, and i really wanted to like makoto. speaking of makoto, that clone subplot? that shit went nowhere. honestly for seasons like this, it makes me wish someone was adapting kamen rider for the west, because with both this and wizard, i dont see how someone could get this worse.....

The clone subplot actually is very relevant... for the post-series Specter movie. Part of the problem with Ghost is that they got a new writer, but, unlike Ex-Aid's, it was one that clearly couldn't keep up with Rider's schedule, which resulted in the early missteps and then the whole show falling apart (or, rather, going nowhere) later, when he had to step away for months to write the movie, and then return to do some half-hearted final arc.

Ghost should have been about the Riders summoning the parka ghosts to fight alongside them, Diend style. That way, they could have really gone wild with the suit actors and made some pretty good episodes out of fights alone.

However, all we got was ORE WA TENKUUJI TAKERU, flailing about like a just-born Rider for almost the entire show, and so many wasted monster suits. Oh well.

Ghost was a clear mis-fire, it had some interesting elements, but as Parallax said it eventually became stagnant, so much so that I stop watching it because it was a chore to at that point. I'll finish it some day, but I'm no rush to do so.

WillyFive

I disliked the morphs of Ghosts, they weren't fun to watch and looked really fake and lame, and most especially it went out of it's way to seem like a toy commercial. Obviously all morphs are advertisements for their henshin toys, but Ghosts' was just so obnoxious and went out of it's way to look like a magazine catalog for them.

tumblr_o2roralL641tqsg3uo3_r1_500.gif
tumblr_o2roralL641tqsg3uo4_r1_500.gif
tumblr_o2roralL641tqsg3uo5_r1_500.gif

Just look at that, it's so forced and unnatural, as if the screengrabs from the show were to be used in the packaging for the toy.

I still maintain that Wizard is the worst. As a major antagonist group, practically everything to do with the Phantoms turns out to be a waste of time because they ultimately don't even properly factor into the actual main villain scheme. Let's not even mention how tragically ineffective they are at the one job they need to do, with later Phantoms just giving up altogether and trying to invoke maximum despair not by doing something that utterly shatters their long held personal beliefs, perceptions and worldviews, but by slowly ambling up to the victim of the fortnight and just commanding them to literally despair to death. The show squanders every drop of potential it had and its story is barely 12 episodes stretched out to fill out an entire near-50 episode run.

Ghost has more bright spots that don't fizzle out after five minutes like Wizard. The first dozen episodes are fine, albeit weirdly paced, as there is steady momentum and Spectre hanging around as an antagonist makes it worth watching. After that is the entire Necrom arc where the show is at its thematic best...besides Makoto being essentially briefly shunted aside for the second time. It's the thirties on that the show decides to stall and go into a catatonic state as it rigidly sticks to the new status quo that Mugen sets up all the way to the end while Makoto and Alain turn into afterthoughts. Practically nothing of interest happens after Mugen up to the finale. The long Demia build-up bubbles into a flaccid payoff and I'm hard pressed to give Adel any adequate description besides an expressionless one-minded guy with a god complex who erroneously feels for some reason that he was never loved as a kid. Ex-Aid's Dan the Man with the Plan can at least serve his god complex with a copious dish of ham.

Big One

Banned
I'm finally at the part where Ghost is getting somewhat interesting. The first few episodes were a freaking slog, goddamn. I'm gonna finish this shit, it's kind of good atm.

vareon

I still maintain that Wizard is the worst. As a major antagonist group, practically everything to do with the Phantoms turns out to be a waste of time because they ultimately don't even properly factor into the actual main villain scheme. Let's not even mention how tragically ineffective they are at the one job they need to do, with later Phantoms just giving up altogether and trying to invoke maximum despair not by doing something that utterly shatters their long held personal beliefs, perceptions and worldviews, but by slowly ambling up to the victim of the fortnight and just commanding them to literally despair to death. The show squanders every drop of potential it had and its story is barely 12 episodes stretched out to fill out an entire near-50 episode run.

IMO Wizard tried to bit too much on the darker aspect of the show. Giving birth to Phantoms from despair was a great idea, but it left the host to die. People dying week after week is a no-no for kids show so it almost never happened, but the problem is the villains has no secondary purpose during this phase, so they look horribly incompetent in trying the same thing over and over again but failing each week.

Ex-aid had the same trappings, but circumvented this by letting the villains have secondary objectives. We are shown that Dan had plans behind Zombie Genm's weekly death.

Slayven

What about a kamen rider series who's motif is warriors? And we do cards again

Main Rider is a Ninja

Secondary Rider is a Samruai

Third rider a monk

Movie riders include a Maori rider, and a cowboy rider

Yokai is always a good villain filler

Big One

Banned

Main Rider is a Ninja

Secondary Rider is a Samruai

Third rider a monk

Movie riders include a Maori rider, and a cowboy rider

Yokai is always a good villain filler

Here's some rider ideas I've been wanting to see for years:

- Lovecraft themed Kamen Rider where the badguys are human cultists trying to bring otherworldy abominations into the world
- Video/TV themed Kamen Rider where the KR is a suit actor w/ prettyboy actor that plays the titular rider's "public" image
- Dinosaur themed Kamen Rider with the badguys being humanoid lizardmen disguised as humans (has a conspiracy theory theme to it)
- Fairy Tale/Book themed Kamen Rider with a female protagonist that can turn into forms based on Alice in Wonderland, Oz, and others.
- Martial arts themed Kamen Rider with all the Kamen Riders being rival schools (similar to Gekiranger) with a shonen style tournament arc in front of a huge crowd as one of the arcs.

NeonZ

Gaim already kind of did that. There were samurai (with a ninja form), medieval knights, a Chinese warrior, a gladiator, a viking and an Arabian themed warrior. Of course, it was limited to suit design, and had no relevance to the story. And even design-wise it was also mixed with fruits.

Tiu Neo

I want a ninja themed Kamen Rider someday. That Martial Arts idea above sounds great, and I hope something like that happens someday too. Dinosaurs could work, but eh. Cowboy based KR could be fun to see, too.

Can't really remember many themes that KR did and sentai didn't. Maybe bugs, but Sentai had a couple bug-themed main characters in Hurricanger and Go-Busters. Oh, yeah, videogames. That could work well with sentai.

Fairy tales could work great for both.

You know what could be fun? Cooking based show. Maybe if they do a shorter season or a parody show again, someday.

I looked up Kamen Rider Ghost on Google and damn does the suit look ugly. The silly looking helmet and bulky hoodie is unflattering. The powerups look lame too.

Parallax

You guys need to low ball the theme to get the maximum plot.

Like a theme about kitchen appliances with the lead being a toaster based rider, and the series being about human trafficking/regulation/termination, with the big bad being a mere figurehead for the true endboss, with clues scattered here and there.

And his final form is a combination energy efficient washer dryer combo

Tiu Neo

You guys need to low ball the theme to get the maximum plot.

Like a theme about kitchen appliances with the lead being a toaster based rider, and the series being about human trafficking/regulation/termination, with the big bad being a mere figurehead for the true endboss, with clues scattered here and there.

And his final form is a combination energy efficient washer dryer combo

After Ex-Aid, everything is possible, heh.

There was that sushi samurai Rider a short while ago that's probably not real, but it did get me thinking. With the way Rider is going these days with how progressively daft its motifs are becoming, they may as well go all out with a show themed around food. It's about time we have another protagonist who can give Tendou Souji a run for his money in the kitchen. The first Rider can be based on classical Japanese dishes and delicacies. Other Riders can be based on various global cuisines. Second Rider can be a pizza Rider for example while another one stays firmly vegetarian.

Meanwhile the villains seek to rid of humanity using the power of fast food corporations and heavily processed food with hundreds of chemical additives and ungodly levels of fat content.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I had an idea for a Fairy Tale Sentai, though it was Japanese Fairy-tales---basically kind of what Okami did.

"Bousou Sentai Kaminaranger"---basically that's like "Out of Control Biker Squad Lightning Ranger".

Of course they'd be Japanese biker-themed, with really cool looking costumes. Secondary motif are Japanese oni, and they'd be named based on the horns their helmet has. So you have Ikkaku (1 horn) Red, Nikkaku (2 horn) Blue, and Sankaku (3 horn) Yellow.

They'd each lead a gang themed after one of the companions of Momotaro---Red would have the Wild Dogs, Blue the Free Birds, and Yellow the Rough Apes. The gimmick would be that there underlings would transform into animal themed mooks and fight alongside them, a twist on how usually the villains have those mooks.

Furthermore each would have a second-in-command who would be turned into Doggie-style humanoid-animals---so you'd have a humanoid dog, a humanoid bird, and a humanoid monkey. They'd fight alongside them and eventually be able to transform into mechas. So you'd have three base members, three second-in-command members, and then a bunch of mooks (number varies by budget) that would fight too.

The main Rangers would have bikes, of course, themed after a dog, bird, and monkey respectively. The bikes could enlarge which the Rangers would ride in, while the second-in-command members would then transform into mechas and ride atop them to fight---like jousting style. Of course all six components could combine, like the bikes merging into a single bike and the mechas merging into a single rider. Not to mention for the toys you could mix and match which mech rides on which bike.

Then for the additional Rangers you'd have the Red's parents join up as Daikaku (big horn) Peach and Tsukikaku (moon horn---i.e. a crescent horn) White based on Momotaro and Kaguya. Peach would have a dekotora (decorated truck) mech while White would have a rocket ship mech.

javadoze

A Dinosaur Rider similar to Zyuranger would actually be kind of interesting. The main character could come from a prehistoric era and be in a fish-out-of-water situation.

In short, I really want a main rider to be interesting/appealing again or at least have a distinct personality.

WillyFive

A Dinosaur Rider similar to Zyuranger would actually be kind of interesting. The main character could come from a prehistoric era and be in a fish-out-of-water situation.

In short, I really want a main rider to be interesting/appealing again or at least have a distinct personality.

Yes, I want this. To both counts.

I just want an organic Rider again. We haven't had one in absolutely ages. I suppose you could say Amazons is, but its not the mainstream series. Plus, they look armoured more than biological.

We've had a good run of technological and mystic Riders. Time for organics to come back.

NeonZ

I just want an organic Rider again. We haven't had one in absolutely ages. I suppose you could say Amazons is, but its not the mainstream series. Plus, they look armoured more than biological.

We've had a good run of technological and mystic Riders. Time for organics to come back.

It's very unlikely due to merchandising reasons. Like you say there, even the Amazons don't really look organic.

Besides, organic Riders were only really a big thing in the first place due to Ishinomori personally strongly pushing for it in the late 80s. He was the reason Black had those pieces of weird meat in the joints of his final suit, rather than just looking like a slimmer Shadowmoon (although the actual Shadowmoon design was made later, but you get what I mean).

Before that, there was only Amazon, which didn't really look very organic even for the time if you compare him to the monsters.

NeonZ

I would form changes would be actual form changes. Like RX and Biorider and Roborider

We just had Drive that had completely separate suits for form changes, aside from Dead Heat.

The issue with completely different suits though is that it hurts the toyline, since then the toys can't really change form, and are just separate from each other without any special playability. Drive attempted to dodge that with the tire changes, but it had the lowest selling toyline since Decade anyway.

In series with many Riders, there's also the issue of budget. Making new forms for Ex-Aid or Gaim, when they just need to change the upper armor and helmet obviously costs less than creating completely new suits.

Slayven

We just had Drive that had completely separate suits for form changes, aside from Dead Heat.

The issue with completely different suits though is that it hurts the toyline, since then the toys can't really change form, and are just separate from each other without any special playability. Drive attempted to dodge that with the tires changes, but it had the lowest selling toyline since Decade anyway.

In series with many Riders, there's also the issue of budget. Making new forms for Ex-Aid or Gaim, when they just need to change the upper armor and helmet obviously costs less than creating completely new suits.
I know, but it is nice to dream.
Is it me, but are female MOTW rare as hens teeth now?

Tiu Neo

Amazons Season 2 - Episode 5

Wait, wait, Mamoru
is not only an antagonist now, but the mastermind behind all of this? Nice twist. I can see how five years of being hunted could make that to someone, even him.

And Jin
is dead? Or at least armless? Or was that somebody else?

And again, hype end. This is getting better and better.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Ex-Aid

That fake-out was soooo good.

Also I'm pretty sure this is the first time in Rider history we've seen two girl Riders fight side-by-side, right? Or, like in the same scene.

Top Bottom