• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human Coverage April/13/07 (post #922+ for reactions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tieno

Grimm Fandango said:
One thing that did seem off is that the characters don armor and wield swords... and yet the technology is incredibly advanced. The scene in the drop ship stands out specifically right before the 9 minute mark; it doesn't fit in very well with the characters.
They also use guns. But same reason why jedi's use light sabres.

Vrolokus

Banned
Grimm Fandango said:
One thing that did seem off is that the characters don armor and wield swords... and yet the technology is incredibly advanced.

Star Wars says hi.

Can I be the first one to point out Jessica Chobot's weird compulsion to writhe as she talks? Is she trying to be sexy or what?

SPEA

Agent Icebeezy said:
bscap0105lx2.jpg
I loved that shot when I watched it. I was hoping someone would talk a pic. So awesome.

Wooooo, finally we get to see too human!!!

1) Game looks great and cutscenes seems very nice, a little jerky perhaps, but that'll be polished out or it's the video.

2) I dislike the camera, it's not particularly far away, but for some reason it feels like it's a million miles away, very disorientating.

3) Combat looks naff. It just doesn't look like combat... errrr, it feels very disconnected, like your on auto pilot or something. I really can't put my finger on it... like... maybe it's the awkards animations, the character doesn't really move, he's stiff and his arm flails, but his body doesn't really... maybe that's why. I don't get the sense, that the character is affecting the fight, like I said, autopilot.

4) My "Onimusha (Shin) + Soul Reaver = Too Human" original guess seems pretty spot on, I think.

Treo360 said:
free look

d-pad controls the spider

Left analog is movement

left trigger fires secondary
Right trig is primary

left bumper is activate ruiners
right is jump

y is second battle cry
b is dodge roll
a is jump
x is battle cry 1

Right analog is direct melee action
direct ranged when (it gets blurry when I zoom in) combined(?) with left trigger
click the R analog and it will . . . can't make it out

How are aerial melee attacks done, then? Press a then jiggle the right stick? Or is it automated like DMC, GoW, etc?

Vrolokus

Banned
glimmerman said:
well thats one way to help cure the framerate issues.

It's not a God of War/Ninja Gaiden/Devil May Cry type action game. Dyack makes a point of saying that like a dozen times throughout the piece.

It's not going to be fast-paced like those games.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Vrolokus said:
Star Wars says hi.

Can I be the first one to point out Jessica Chobot's weird compulsion to writhe as she talks? Is she trying to be sexy or what?

Yeah this is my first and hopefully only IGN weekly and I figured i was the only one who noticed. I assume its trying to turn her being a 7/10 into a 10/10 gaming goddess the same lame way that kristin holt does with that ridiculous makeup.

Even if its not fast paced, why walk so ****ing slow? EDF2017 had you moving this slow, I know I'm not the only one who turned to the side and rolled all the time. i dont want to have to do that and miss out on all these graphics just because the walking speed is too slow.

First time watching -- looking mostly at the visuals which are very nice, clean. Looks like a subtle use of depth of field is in use too. I like it.

Second time watching I listened to what they were saying a little more. Beyond just how it looks it sounds like a really fun game.

+4 player co-op
+character classes
+skill trees
+item gathering/collecting
+epic items/trading items with friends
+long story arc/keep your character into the next games

If the action elements work well enough, and the camera system is as good as they say, it could turn out really, really well.

Choabac

Treo360 said:
Right analog is direct melee action
direct ranged when (it gets blurry when I zoom in) combined(?) with left trigger
click the R analog and it will . . . can't make it out

I think click R analog is manual reload.

Petrarca

Banned

Cuz she knows thousands of geeks will be watching and drooling over her :lol

BboyDubC

Hmmm, I watched it the first time and just didn't get it. Maybe because I had it full screened. The second time, I "got" it, but I also realized why I didn't get it the first time: the animations are so terrible that it's hard to look past them. This game will live and die by it's animations. The story is there, the graphics are KIND of there (really on/off), the presentation is close to there (animations are part of presentation), but the animations aren't even close to where they need to be. If this game wants to be cool, it HAS to have cool animations or else it will just fall flat. It is plain and simple. What happened to Denis not showing the game until it was completely finished? Isn't that what he was ranting about? Are we to assume that the final game will be close to these horrendous animations (both movement AND combat)? I sure hope not. I see so much potential if they can just get that one HUGE thing right. Also, I wish they would go back and completely redo the art style. The textures/light reflections look slick, but I just don't like the faces and body archetypes. So much better can be done. Oh well. I'm not jumping out of my seat, but an eyebrow has been raised. I'll keep an eye out, but I wouldn't go out to buy it yet based on it's look as of now (story kind of compels me though). I don't see the "it" that should be here yet. Maybe at it's next presentation, it will have that wow-factor. For now though, interesting vision.

Vrolokus

Banned
QVT said:
Yeah this is my first and hopefully only IGN weekly and I figured i was the only one who noticed. I assume its trying to turn her being a 7/10 into a 10/10 gaming goddess the same lame way that kristin holt does with that ridiculous makeup.

I saw her in person at E32006, and believe me: she's frigging hot. But the weird wiggle thing she does when she's talking... it was like what those girls do in the late-night adult chat line commercials. "Omigod, like, call us right now, because we're about to get our rocks off just by humping the couch!"

Even if its not fast paced, why walk so ****ing slow? EDF2017 had you moving this slow, I know I'm not the only one who turned to the side and rolled all the time. i dont want to have to do that and miss out on all these graphics just because the walking speed is too slow.

Heh I do that too (the sideways rolling thing). :lol

KTallguy

Banned
Graphics, art, and concept are fricking amazing.

But man, that combat looks fricking horrible.

This reminds me of when Jade Empire was coming out, and the developers talked about how "inspired" they were by Japanese fighting games. We all know how that combat system system turned out.

Also, having the melee assigned to an analog stick is really, really dumb. I can't think of any game that's ever been fluid and responsive with your Main Attack assigned to an analog stick.

In any case, I hope that they improve the combat and the animations. No warping around to attack characters, please. Let's see characters with some weight to them, let's see some fluid, realistic physics, not enemies floating like paper in the air, waiting to get smacked around.

They're shooting for the stars, comparing their game to Diablo and Lord of the Rings... wow. I guess we'll see when the demo arrives.

Foil

Looks good so far.

+ Music is awesome.
+ Visuals are high quality.
+ Great Art
+ RPG elements.
+ Open World with lots of exploration.

- Combat looks a little weak, although that might be the animation flaws hurting it.
- Can't stand the circles and target icons coming up all over the place in combat.
- Animation is really stiff and jerky.
- Framerate is kind of low (I'm sure this'll be fixed though).

I think Too Human will end up being a good game, hopefully things come together in the final few months. It reminds me of Soul Reaver way more than anything like DMC, NG, or GoW.

BboyDubC

GreekWolf said:
I thought that too... until they shifted from cut scenes to actual gameplay. Still holding out hope though that it'll be as impressive as everyone is expecting by the time it ships. It needs to be good, dammit.

LOL, I had the exact same experience when I first watched it. I was like wow.... Denis, you shouldn't have told them to show Lair right after, because Lair looks sick! ...... then they went to gameplay and I was like... oh.... nevermind.

QVT

Vrolokus said:
Oh come now...

Could stand to live and die by the epic story. Besides, who the **** are we to complain about animations?

WORLD OF WARCRAFT is the most played game out there. You can walk through people!

BboyDubC

Vrolokus said:
Oh come now...

It WILL! I see what they want to do, but it is just NOT going to be a cohesive package unless those animations are liquid-fluid. If the animations were flowing and really accentuating what it was like for him to be slashing his sword around as he zips with that machine quality from enemy to enemy, the game would be REALLY something for everyone to look out for. It is like the simple glue that is missing from the entire presentation. It's like building a ginger-bread house without the materials that actually hold it together. You see the shape and what it SHOULD look like, but it just doesn't look solid and stand out yet. The animations would flesh everything out. Go back and watch those tech demo videos of what the animation in Too Human SHOULD look like. The ones where a guy is just standing in a room doing some kata with different weapons. That looked cool. Why do you think Ninja Gaiden still stands to be possibly the greatest action game ever made? Because it makes you feel like an actual Ninja by playing like BUTTER.

BboyDubC

QVT said:
Could stand to live and die by the epic story. Besides, who the **** are we to complain about animations?

WORLD OF WARCRAFT is the most played game out there. You can walk through people!

Comparison am fail total. I don't play, nor have ANY desire to play world of warcraft. :|

Vrolokus

Banned
QVT said:
Could stand to live and die by the epic story.

Exactly... I mean what game has ever "lived or died" due to something like animation? Too Human will succeed or fail based on the broad sorts of things that normally affect the success or failure of an action RPG: graphics, controls, story, audio... etc. Big picture stuff.

Does anyone else feel like they don't know that much more about the game? I feel I have a better picture of how it will look, but what the actual gameplay is like is still a bit of a mystery to me.

QVT

KTallguy said:
Cool, ok let's all lower our standards.

I'm not talking about lowered standards, I'm talking about you can walk THROUGH people. Bboy said it would live or die just by the animations. What about KOTORs animations?

I mean, if it was a Ninja Gaiden esque game then it would matter more(NG is my favorite game as well, for the silkness), but if that is what the biggest complaint is, then Dyack did ok.

Even if you don't play it, 8 million do. Fancy internet engrish doesn't fix that, either.

I'd like to also bring up Kingdom Hearts here. What about that combat system? People still liked the game.

goldenpp72

world of warcraft is an old MMORPG in which not being able to walk through people would be odd, I think we need to have a bigger standard for a more condensed action/rpg with only a few characters being playable at the same time.

I think the worst thing right now is not knowing the date, the date and some commentary on what improvements they are planning would really, really make me happy :)

QVT

goldenpp72 said:
world of warcraft is an old MMORPG in which not being able to walk through people would be odd, I think we need have a bigger standard for a more condensed action/rpg with only a few characters being playable at the same time.

I think the worst thing right now is not knowing the date, the date and some commentary on what improvements they are planning would really, really make me happy :)

WoW wasn't a game comparision, it was in response to live or die by the animations.

The better comparisions are Kingdom Hearts and KOTOR, both action RPGs.

sankao

I watched the trailer, and the game does have a very convincing look.
However, the combat looks really "blurry", not really organized like in world of warcraft.

I hope it doesn't end up like Marvel Ultimate Alliance, where you had coop, but it was just a mindless hack fest, with no crowd control, no management of the monsters' target (aggro management to speak mmo language) and no healing.

This really could ruin the game in coop for me.

BboyDubC

Krowley said:
The combat looks pretty fun, but it isn't mind blowing or anything. You get the feeling that it's not as big an emphasis as it is in games like ninja gaiden... Maybe more like a zelda game where the combat is there to break up the adventuring and add some challenge. The combat's obviously a lot deeper than a zelda game, but it's not good enough to be the games main focus or anything. That's the vibe i got when watching the video.

Don't insult Zelda. The combat in Zelda feels nice, fluid, and cohesive. The combat in this game looks disconnected and jerky in it's current state. Movement is the same. Disconnected from the rest of the game world as someone else described it.

goldenpp72

kotor doesn't allow you to jump or even really do actions on your own, kingdom hearts is a more fair example but.. that's a ps2 game and hardly regaurded as something that changed the way we think about games.

This game needs to work out any and all kinks that are this blatant if it hopes to achieve 'amazing' status, as it is now, it looks like a game id tread through for the awesome scenery and plot, but the combat would hopefully be a big draw of the game as well.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
QVT said:
I'm not talking about lowered standards, I'm talking about you can walk THROUGH people. Bboy said it would live or die just by the animations. What about KOTORs animations?

I mean, if it was a Ninja Gaiden esque game then it would matter more(NG is my favorite game as well, for the silkness), but if that is what the biggest complaint is, then Dyack did ok.

Even if you don't play it, 8 million do. Fancy internet engrish doesn't fix that, either.

I'd like to also bring up Kingdom Hearts here. What about that combat system? People still liked the game.

Kingdom Heart's animation shits all over Too Human. It doesn't have a deep fighting system but animation wise you can't even compare them.

And your World of Warcraft comparison doesn't work for me either. It doesn't pretend to be anything other than a MMORPG. Too Human is pretending to have a great combat system (often spoken about) and it looks horreondous at the moment.

Odrion

Banned
WOW.

This game looks pretty amazing right now. The combat animations don't look too smooth like God of War, but I'm alright with that. I didn't know this was more of a RPG with different classes and talent trees, and loot ala World of Warcraft. Kinda reminds me of the old PSO. Did they say there was additional side quests and missions? I hope this game excels because co-op with something like this would be Too Cool.

Krowley

BboyDubC said:
Don't insult Zelda. The combat in Zelda feels nice, fluid, and cohesive. The combat in this game looks disconnected and jerky in it's current state. Movement is the same. Disconnected from the rest of the game world as someone else described it.

Well yeah, the combat in zelda looks smoother and has way more fluidity, but this game obviously has tons of moves and you can do a lot more stuff.

My main point was that the combat is not looking good enough to carry the game as an action title, but it might be good enough for an action/RPG or an adventure title. Even jade empire was almost good enough, it just needed a few tweaks. This looks better than jade empire's combat.

It all depends on how much time i'm going to be spending in battle. If i'm constantly assaulted by 100's of enemies all through the game, then this combat doesn't look like it will be sufficient.

If the game is paced more like jade empire then this might even be above and beyond what you would normaly expect in the combat catagory.

BboyDubC

Krowley said:
My main point was that the combat is not looking good enough to carry the game as an action title, but it might be good enough for an action/RPG or an adventure title.

Am I the only one that was actually listening to him talk? He said he wanted to take the Japanese way of doing combat/action, and compared his game to DMC, while keeping the Western way of STORYTELLING. In other words, he wants his game to play like those cool Japanese action titles (DMC, NG), and it is FAR from that. This is an action game. Why kid yourself. Sure you are doing other things like doing intel with spiders and what not, but when has the game shown ANYTHING other than fighting at it's center? If it was a KOTOR style game we would have seen that by now. Call it what it is. It is what he's shown. It is meant to be an action game that is COOL. He clearly wants it to be that style, but it is far from there now. Even if it only wanted to be an "action/rpg" like Jade Empire. It is freakin NEXT GEN. Animations being fluid are NEXT GEN (which makes Ninja Gaiden games far ahead of their time). Last gen we only had a few gems. In next gen, nice animations should be STANDARD.

Odrion

Banned
I want the option to see how much damage you do to the enemy in a number. Locking on with the guns on certain targets looks awkward and I can imagine getting mad at it. But the rest is just super.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
:lol IGN had to include a ****ing disclaimer.

The game looks so mediocre from a gameplay perspective.

Looks like they spent too much time obsessing about "film" and "adaptive camera" and forgot to make the gameplay compelling. Oh well, maybe someone can cannibalise or improve on the idea behind the camera system.

QVT

Krowley said:
Well yeah, the combat in zelda looks smoother and has way more fluidity, but this game obviously has tons of moves and you can do a lot more stuff.

My main point was that the combat is not looking good enough to carry the game as an action title, but it might be good enough for an action/RPG or an adventure title. Even jade empire was almost good enough, it just needed a few tweaks. This looks better than jade empire's combat.

It all depends on how much time i'm going to be spending in battle. If i'm constantly assaulted by 100's of enemies all through the game, then this combat doesn't look like it will be sufficient.

If the game is paced more like jade empire then this might even be above and beyond what you would normaly expect in the combat catagory.

I agree with your post. I was just trying to find something to compare the game to earlier but there aren't really many titles that people know. There are a lot of obscure things which have bad animation in the final game, though.

Its sorta like DoA versus Tekken. DoA is much more fluid, but Tekken is the better game(please don't try and debate that :lol )

DSN2K

dissapointed the one major flaw the game had on first show what was the animation hasnt been fixed entirely, I dont know the right terms for it but its looks like there are blocks of animation missing and it doesnt flow right.

Fredrik

I quote myself from the other thread:

Wow, it looks great even in 320x240 now. Impressive environments and great design. I like the action too and the camera zoom during certain moves. They need to upload a HD teaser trailer from this build with this type of developer narration on Marketplace.

[The character animations] doesn't suck. But the sword slashes need some more weight. It looks like he's using a plastic sword. They should look at the animations in Dead Rising to get the weight and power slashes right.

But the game still looks great and fun to play. And the day I let weak animations decide my game purchases I'll stop playing video games. Back in the days a sword slash could consist of 1 or 2 frames and I still loved the games.

Petrarca

Banned
BboyDubC said:
Am I the only one that was actually listening to him talk? He said he wanted to take the Japanese way of doing combat/action, and compared his game to DMC, while keeping the Western way of STORYTELLING. In other words, he wants his game to play like those cool Japanese action titles (DMC, NG), and it is FAR from that. This is an action game. Why kid yourself. Sure you are doing other things like doing intel with spiders and what not, but when has the game shown ANYTHING other than fighting at it's center? If it was a KOTOR style game we would have seen that by now. Call it what it is. It is what he's shown. It is meant to be an action game that is COOL. He clearly wants it to be that style, but it is far from there now. Even if it only wanted to be an "action/rpg" like Jade Empire. It is freakin NEXT GEN. Animations being fluid are NEXT GEN (which makes Ninja Gaiden games far ahead of their time). Last gen we only had a few gems. In next gen, nice animations should be STANDARD.

Indeed!!

They all talked about how to string combos and all that stuff, so in a way they DO consciously want to be in the footpath of heavy action genre such as DMC and NG. And yet what they've shown us that it's just a B-class action game.

Maybe they should start advertising the game exclusively as an RPG from now on, forget about mentioning combos/DMC/GOW entirely. Because as soon as you mention those type of games, people expectations are in line with the standards those games have set

Krowley

BboyDubC said:

Well i'm not going to damage control for it... I just don't know... he also says that it's not like god of war and that it's more of an RPG. If it's as much of an action game as you seem to expect, then this combat might be a bit of a problem... At least it doesn't look as fun as other games in that genre..

I agree with your post. I was just trying to find something to compare the game to earlier but there aren't really many titles that people know. There are a lot of obscure things which have bad animation in the final game, though.

Its sorta like DoA versus Tekken. DoA is much more fluid, but Tekken is the better game(please don't try and debate that )

:lol nahh i have no opinion on tekken vs DOA... i'll take you're word for it.

Also to everybody.. I watched the video again and i have to say that people earlier in the thread are right. The combat does look better on the second viewing for some reason. I think it still looks problematic, but it looked relativley fun and i started noticing little things and a certain sense of organization about it.

BboyDubC

MrSardonic said:
The game looks sub-mediocre from a gameplay perspective.

Fixed.

Next-gen BASIC standards even call for better looking stuff than that. Gears has big, blocky, husky men, yet they still animate well, show their weight, slam into cover, shift with power, etc. All of the sports games are showing smooth animations this gen, pretty much every game. This game has the worst looking movement/combat of this gen, and even compared to most games LAST gen.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
KennyL said:
Now i get it. It's not NG, DMC, GoW type game but more like untold legend type game.
I wanted to say that earlier but was afraid I'd sound like I was trolling. Seriously, it seems like the concept of Untold (combat, co-op, online, rpg element/leveling, exploring, classes, etc) in the future but with better graphics and a much bigger budget.

GHG

I'm impressed. I don't even know what all the fuss about the animations is about, they don't look that bad. They're fine IMO. Everybody just expects HS animations these days, and you know that isn't gonna happen ;) .

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Fredrik said:
I quote myself from the other thread:

I'm the opposite... I can't think of a game that I like that has bad animations.

See the distinction to me is simple animations are fine, bad aren't. These are trying to be Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry (which they keep referring to in the interview) and it's nowhere near that. Reason I feel so strongly about it is that I want to like this game, but if the animations stay the way they are, I am staying away from it.

Looks really great to me. Although I cringed when one of the characters refers to another one as "first wolf" in his best i'm-a-bad-ass voice. That just made me a bit worried that the dialogue might have a rubbishy fantasy fan-fic style to it. On the other hand, the norse mythology stuff and the music gives me a lot of hope that it will be fine

BboyDubC

GHG said:
I'm impressed. I don't even know what all the fuss about the animations is about, they don't look that bad. They're fine IMO. Everybody just expects HS animations these days, and you know that isn't gonna happen ;) .

This is next-gen. It SHOULD be happening. It was even happening last-gen. We don't need HS level animations, but it isn't even matching the animations of games like Zelda, KH, and other basic platformers. With the types of combos/movements he's doing, you NEED smooth, buttery animations to connect them to make it look cool, or the combat just falls flat on its face (like it does in the video).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom