• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human Coverage April/13/07 (post #922+ for reactions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xamdou

I just watched the video and the graphics are amazing!

+RPG Elements
+UE3 Engine worthy graphics
+Deep Storyline
+Cinematic Camera Angles/Cutscenes.
+Various types of armor/classes.
+4 player ONLINE Co-Op Over XBL
+Jump Button unlike HS

-Some hiccups in frame-rates but it will surely be fixed

Too Human is still my top 4 most wanted game of the year along with Mass Effect, Halo 3 and Forza 2.

I can't wait to try out the demo all we need are demo and TH release dates! :)

Mojovonio

Banned
Ok, the graphics look great and they fixed the camera.

I'm not sold on the gameplay yet. The combat looks very amateur.

The environments, while looking good, look so empty and bare.

When I think of a next gen beat-em up, i would think of amounts of environmental destruction not possible on the previous generation.

Static environments just don't appeal to me.

p3tran

Banned
as usual, I am going to have to point to the freakin' obvious:

vlcsnap88277copyod1.jpg

so everybody complaining about those details on animations, details, framerate, keep that in mind.

too human is looking to be a great game!

4 player online co-op with rpg elements and trade between my company and stuff is looking very great in my book!
plus I really like the art style. :)

Uncle

vspectra06 said:

Anyone want to play Guess the God? Baldur we already know, and I'm thinking that the dude in the back is Thor (he had a huge hammer in the scene where he tosses Mimir's head to Baldur plus the reddish hair and moustache). I'd also guess that the one next to Baldur might be Odin (because of these pictures).

Emowii

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
The animators should play God of War 2 STAT.
What he said.

I also think the game should not have guns in the same manner as Devil May Cry. It just doesn't look right having this futuristic looking setting, and a dude firing guns exactly like Dante does. It should just be changed to a laser weapon of some kind.

Grecco

Well the Combat is still pretty bad. (It even has the Devil May Cry Double Gun thing)

I dont see why it cant be compared to those games with better combat. Having "RPG Elements" doesnt excuse it from having crappy combat.

One of the other guys interviewed describes it as an "Action Adventure with RPG elements" Not an RPG with Real Time Combat.

Hopefully they fix the frame rate and add aditional frames of combat animation cause everything else looks pretty good

Xamdou

Uncle said:
Anyone want to play Guess the God? Baldur we already know, and I'm thinking that the dude in the back is Thor (he had a huge hammer in the scene where he tosses Mimir's head to Baldur plus the reddish hair and moustache). I'd also guess that the one next to Baldur might be Odin (because of these pictures).

The Norse God to the right Of Odin must be Loki.

bendak

Dot50Cal said:
Why does this dude have giant banana sized fingers/hands?

He's a cybernetic god who is probably barely even human. Plus he needs that big ass cybernetic arm to swing his humongous hammer! :)

FrankT

Well, just watched the footage. Dude this just shot way up my list, amazing, simply amazing. The storyline, graphics, this whole package is going to suck me in I can just tell it now. More discussion on the loot system, epic drops. I foresee big things for this trilogy.

Job well done SK, an amazing improvement from a year ago. I'm certain you guys will iron out any remaining issues.

Want a release date stat, peace.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
1) it looks *alot* better than what was previously shown.

2) like someone suggested, they should consider changing the bullet guns to cool energy based guns that have nice sound effects and visual effects

3) tighten up the animations of main character (more realistic flow and attacks) and of the enemies. Combat *has* to be at least as good as the God of War games to truly make this game feel like something special (easier said than done).

4) tighten up framerate and add more details and "WOW" effects all over

5) make the RPG aspects deep, yet as user-friendly as possible. This is the perfect game to help bring non-hardcore RPG gamers into RPG gaming by walking them through it in an easy manner and truly rewarding them with new abilities and strengths at each level up.

6) add in a ton of cool weapons and enhancements and some hidden or hard to find ones like Diablo is well-known for

7) make the world more living + breathing with more NPC's who chatter and walk around realistically

8) add in some cool abilities later in the game that players can't wait to get to. For example, one of the classes could gain the ability to permanently hover around at will rather than walk.

9) Polish, polish, polish. What do all the great games have in common? Polish. God of War, Halo, RE4, Gears, Ninja Gaiden... etc. All had unbelievable levels of polish and just felt "right". If this game doesn't feel "right" (e.g. like perfect dark zero, advent rising, etc.) I'd rather have a AAA game in january '08 than a pretty good game in august '07...

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
open_mouth_ said:
9) I'd rather have a AAA game in january '08 than a pretty good game in august '07...

ding ding ding

Unless they have a much better build that they haven't shown, this game is far from ready.

jimbo

Banned
60_gig_PS3 said:
for some reason this reminds me of Untold Legends
:lol

What is wrong with some of you? I was reading all the comments on here, and it totally killed my hype for this game and I actually expecting to see what some people are saying on this board. After watching the video I must say I am fairly convinced GAF is LOOKING for crap to bitch about. Thank GOD!

GAF: Poor framerate, Bad Animation

Reality: Movie starts: " Too Human Is a Work in Progress. Everything You Are About to See is Running in Real-Time on the Xbox 360. NOTE: Many Optimizations Will Continue to be Made to the Framerate, Textures, Animations, Audio, Etc."
As usual GAF ignores "little things" like this.

GAF: Combat looks slow and boring.

Reality: It's about half a step slower than Ninja Gaiden and DMC, the fastest action games of last generation....and this is an RPG. For example: First scene of combat shows the main character do a 2 hit combo with a sword to a guy that throws him up in the air, then jumps up does a juggle on him in the air that sends him flying 20 feet back, then switches to guns mid-air, turns around, aims and fires at 3 other enemies on the ground BEFORE the player even touches the ground. All this happens in ONE second. The character also has the ability to dash, just like in Ninja Gaiden in a matter of a milisecond from one area of the screen to another. Not only am I going to say some people are smoking crack, I'm also going to say there is no other action rpg out there that has combat that looks ANYWHERE near the combat in TOO HUMAN. PSO, Diablo, Fable....etc....look like snails compared to this game and THOSE looks boring. This looks welll....like DMC.

Other things worth noting: The opening scene has the best tree I've ever seen in a videogame. The atmoshphere is incredible, from the graphics, art style settings to the music. The part where the girl tells him "it's just a handshake" send chills down my spine.

Shadowrun fans. You can rest easy. Now I understand why Shadowrun is a fps. Too Human WILL satisfy all of you Shadowrun next gen needs. Yeah the elfs are missing from what I saw but all the cyernetic upgrades, magic and futuristic weapons and settings are here with combat that puts any other action RPG to date to shame.

Camera system. Look incredible. Hope it really pans out like they wanted to. It's got a camera that enters a cinematic mode triggered by certain spots you in a particular area. It showed the pack of characters going around a corner into a tunnel. The camera actually pans back by itself, allows for a really cool view of the characters taking the corner, then zooms back in. It sounds like you could probably hit a button and pull the camera back into normal position instantly when you needed it you don't want it to do this, but from what I saw, it's something like the one in Sonic Adventure and Ninja Gaiden, but much less erratic, and seems to work. Another scene shows the camera getting to these three LOTR-type stone statues. The camera pans around to the front of the statues and circles them to give you a view of the area.

Scale. Scale, scale, scale. The environments are freaking HUGE and scale up and down an incredible amount.

Awesome character design. I so wanna be the guy with fur that rips heads.

Finally: 4-player co-op

PSU can go to hell.

Seriously folks, those of you that have been detracted by some of the comments on this board, please don't. Go watch the video. You'll say wow. Dennis, I am a believer. When is this coming out?

According to SK, this game is a mix of God of War, Devil May Cry, Diablo 2, World of Warcraft, and the Lord of the Rings movies.

I'm surprised they didn't add in boobs and Jesus while they're at it.

Tailzo

I really like how enthusiastic the developers are. It makes me really want to see this game do well. I can't say I'm the biggest fan of their charcter designs so far, but I'm usually not a fan of western character design anyway. (Like in Oblivion, for example, the character seem to be too stiff for me.) I have no idea if the gameplay will be as good as they say, butI sure do hope so.

4 player co-op sounds great, and I can only hope the game surpasses Phantasy Star Universe. We need more 4 player co-op games. If they could include splitscreen 4 player like in the old PSO, I'd be very happy.

jett

D-Member
Reality: Movie starts: " Too Human Is a Work in Progress. Everything You Are About to See is Running in Real-Time on the Xbox 360. NOTE: Many Optimizations Will Continue to be Made to the Framerate, Textures, Animations, Audio, Etc."
As usual GAF ignores "little things" like this.

That shit applies to every unreleased game ever. Guess we shouldn't criticise any games that are yet to be released ever again. I'm so tired of Dyack's moaning.

I guess it's pretty in the way we've come to expect from mid-level next-gen games, but I kind of wish these developers would focus a bit more on making the animation pleasant to watch. Maybe they move in a realistic way, but then perhaps realism is not the best choice when it comes to action games. Not too fond of the human character models either, but I think that's just SK design style that I happen to disagree with so I'm not going to get hung up on that. Nice music though.

Dot50Cal

Banned
"Theres a reason why were making a trilogy, Huge huge worlds."

SK confirmation that Bluray is needed?

11439728579899aemt7.gif

kidding

Can anyone explain to me whats the deal with the story? I havent followed this game at all so all Im seeing are Nordic gods set in the future using guns. I mean is this even based on earth or...what?

jimbo

Banned
jett said:
That shit applies to every unreleased game ever. Guess we shouldn't criticise any games that are yet to be released ever again. I'm so tired of Dyack's moaning.

Criticize it all you want, but fyi, when a preview starts up and has a notice about frame rate and animation, and how it's going to be optimized, and then people bitch about how the frame rate and animation needs to be optimized, it's not the game that looks bad, it's the people that look like dumb-asses.

Uncle

Dot50Cal said:
Can anyone explain to me whats the deal with the story? I havent followed this game at all so all Im seeing are Nordic gods set in the future using guns. I mean is this even based on earth or...what?

IIRC it's actually set in the past and the events in this game created the norse mythology (or something to that effect).

Dot50Cal

Banned
Uncle said:
IIRC it's actually set in the past and the events in this game created the norse mythology (or something to that effect).

But they have guns....and robots.....wtf. Is it an alternate universe or maybe another planet or what?

border

My impression was that they seem to have spent a lot of time on the mythology and cutscenes, and not a lot of time on the combat or animation. That seems to be the company's modus operandi though -- production values over gameplay.

For all the hubub about the cinematic camera, it is a straight-up over-the-shoulder cam 90% of the time. To me, that feels like a pretty big step backwards. I hate over-the-shoulder for beat-em-up gameplay, and the likes of God of War and DMC have proven the effectiveness of a less character-focused, more pulled-back camera.

jimbo

Banned
Dot50Cal said:
But they have guns....and robots.....wtf. Is it an alternate universe or maybe another planet or what?

Yup and flying ships, and guns and cyborgs....like I said....think Shadowrun but the opposite. Instead of futuristing setting with magic. It's a magic setting with futuristic stuff. Awesome.

DenogginizerOS

If you look at youtube videos of God of War and God of War 2, the animation just shreds Too Human's animation. Granted, this Too Human preview video is of an unfinished build and Denis said blah blah blah BUT if you are going to promote your game as something that gamer's haven't seen before, your alpha build should at least look like something gamer's have seen before.

It looks like my job is done here. I am glad many seemed to like what they have seen so far and interest has been peaked. I will be posting more at IGN and TooHuman.net (now that new 3.0 site is going to be up soon - it looks really nice and the forums are much improved - Those really interested in Too Human should check it out - Hannar and Mocheeze really have it together). Together with the IGN , they started asking questions that dug very deep - which is where SK likes to put gold. Matt's coverage of the game next week will be substantial - this was a teaser to set up for next week. I am very much looking forward to hear what he has to say as he as actually played.

We of course listen to all the comments, especially ones the gameplay. Please keep in mind that in games like Diablo or Titans Quest (both of which i like very much), the gameplay revolves around a single mouse click for combat and we do feel we are making significant advances compared to that :). We are not trying to be like DMC or GOW2 - and we really love those games too!

It is always difficult to understand how a game plays without actually playing it (one would think this obvious but this is unfortunately not case today). This was why I have been so critical of the process of E3 where most games were not played. We don't want anyone to say Too Human is the best game ever by looking at this video. If we have caught you interest then we have done our job. Try to remember that at least we are letting the people play Too Human, and I can assure you that this is very rare.

We always try to offer something new in each game we create and feel we will deliver the goods with Too Human. I hope you enjoy the rest that it to come and the game when it is finally released.

Denis

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
njp142 said:
According to SK, this game is a mix of God of War, Devil May Cry, Diablo 2, World of Warcraft, and the Lord of the Rings movies.

I'm surprised they didn't add in boobs and Jesus while they're at it.

Sony own the rights to Jesus and are making a game with him.

1176551079666.jpg

:p

Denis Dyack said:
Matt's coverage of the game next week will be substantial - this was a teaser to set up for next week. I am very much looking forward to hear what he has to say as he as actually played.

Oh I'm sure you are. Nothing wrong with that preview coverage, is there? :lol

Tailzo

Denis Dyack said:
We always try to offer something new in each game we create and feel we will deliver the goods with Too Human. I hope you enjoy the rest that it to come and the game when it is finally released.

Denis

Thanks posting here. If I like the gameplay in the demo, I'll buy the game, and enjoy it. I wish you luck in your future projects / Too Human sequels.

jimbo said:
Criticize it all you want, but fyi, when a preview starts up and has a notice about frame rate and animation, and how it's going to be optimized, and then people bitch about how the frame rate and animation needs to be optimized, it's not the game that looks bad, it's the people that look like dumb-asses.

Animation doesn't look like it's been improved much if at all in the year since it was shown last. Doesn't give one a lot of hope that another six months of "optimization" are suddenly going to turn this jittery, choppy moving combat system into a ballet.

jimbo

Banned
border said:
My impression was that they seem to have spent a lot of time on the mythology and cutscenes, and not a lot of time on the combat or animation. That seems to be the company's modus operandi though -- production values over gameplay.

For all the hubub about the cinematic camera, it is a straight-up over-the-shoulder cam 90% of the time. To me, that feels like a pretty big step backwards. I hate over-the-shoulder for beat-em-up gameplay, and the likes of God of War and DMC have proven the effectiveness of a less character-focused, more pulled-back camera.

Excellent!

And what movie are you watching? Pretty much all the combat I saw the camera IS pulled back. Besides, that's not even the point. The point is, you actually DO NOT control the camera. Unlike those other games, everything you saw in this video is the camera managing itself. The right analog stick is used for combat. Let me say this again: there is no camera micro-management.

DenogginizerOS

Denis Dyack said:
It looks like my job is done here.

Denis

I know I have been giving you a hard time in this thread, but I also want to commend you on Too Human. It is very hard to take on such a large project with so many gameplay elements and not have fans of the various genres feel a little underwhelmed when they don't see things they expect from those genres (i.e. animation in an action game on par with GoW2). However, if you can pull it off, I think the Frankenstein assembly of all these genres could create a wonderfully unque experience that will drive gamers to try it out. I fear the monster that this game could become, but on the other hand if care and devotion crafts this game into an entirely unque entity, then gamers will be grateful to you and your team.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
jimbo said:
Excellent!

And what movie are you watching? Pretty much all the combat I saw the camera IS pulled back. Besides, that's not even the point. The point is, you actually DO NOT control the camera. Unlike those other games, everything you saw in this video is the camera managing itself. The right analog stick is used for combat. Let me say this again: there is no camera micro-management.

Unless you press the back button.

picture26f4f3.png

Uncle

Dot50Cal said:

Just my speculation, but I'll spoiler tag it just in case someone doesn't want to know.

I think that the last game will feature Ragnarök in some form and then end in the "rebirth" of the world with most of the gods and their lore gone. Seeing how they just fought a war against cyborgs and whatnot, they'll probably steer clear of technology.

Dartastic

DenogginizerOS said:
The animators should play God of War 2 STAT.

The game looks quite good, but what the hell is up with that character animation, especially when in battle? There's no weight to the actual battle sequences. They may LOOK cool, but the character looks like he's just swinging around a stick. He SHOULD be looking like he's this big strong badass who is just pummeling the crap out of the enemies around him. Instead he looks like this.

defend-2.jpg

Besides that... It's lookin niiiiiiice. My excitement for this game is back. :D

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Uncle said:
Just my speculation, but I'll spoiler tag it just in case someone doesn't want to know.

I think that the last game will feature Ragnarök in some form and then end in the "rebirth" of the world with most of the gods and their lore gone. Seeing how they just fought a war against cyborgs and whatnot, they'll probably steer clear of technology.

Sounds good.

border

jimbo said:
The point is, you actually DO NOT control the camera. Unlike those other games, everything you saw in this video is the camera managing itself.
What "other games" are you playing? God of War and DMC feature little-to-no camera management at all. They have a more cinematic camera that uses basically no over-the-shoulder stuff. God of War even does the "it zooms in when you enter melee combat" thing that they are touting in the video (with the right analog stick used for evasion, NOT camera control).

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
DenogginizerOS said:
I know I have been giving you a hard time in this thread, but I also want to commend you on Too Human. It is very hard to take on such a large project with so many gameplay elements and not have fans of the various genres feel a little underwhelmed when they don't see things they expect from those genres (i.e. animation in an action game on par with GoW2). However, if you can pull it off, I think the Frankenstein assembly of all these genres could create a wonderfully unque experience that will drive gamers to try it out. I fear the monster that this game could become, but on the other hand if care and devotion crafts this game into an entirely unque entity, then gamers will be grateful to you and your team.

You give great analogy Denogg.

::smokes cigarette::

Be in my party of four when this comes out!

jimbo

Banned
Router said:
Unless you press the back button.

picture26f4f3.png

And that is exactly WHY it's on the BACK button.

Do you guys even watch these videos? Seriously. I've already stated above that you can stop the camera from its cinematic mode if you want to and pull it back in. Your post pretty much confirms that there is no camera micro-management.

FrankT

Denis Dyack said:
It looks like my job is done here. I am glad many seemed to like what they have seen so far and interest has been peaked. I will be posting more at IGN and TooHuman.net (now that new 3.0 site is going to be up soon - it looks really nice and the forums are much improved - Those really interested in Too Human should check it out - Hannar and Mocheeze really have it together). Together with the IGN , they started asking questions that dug very deep - which is where SK likes to put gold. Matt's coverage of the game next week will be substantial - this was a teaser to set up for next week. I am very much looking forward to hear what he has to say as he as actually played.

We of course listen to all the comments, especially ones the gameplay. Please keep in mind that in games like Diablo or Titans Quest (both of which i like very much), the gameplay revolves around a single mouse click for combat and we do feel we are making significant advances compared to that :). We are not trying to be like DMC or GOW2 - and we really love those games too!

It is always difficult to understand how a game plays without actually playing it (one would think this obvious but this is unfortunately not case today). This was why I have been so critical of the process of E3 where most games were not played. We don't want anyone to say Too Human is the best game ever by looking at this video. If we have caught you interest then we have done our job. Try to remember that at least we are letting the people play Too Human, and I can assure you that this is very rare.

Denis

Job well done sir, job well done. The hard work is showing and I simply cannot wait.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Well, it does look pretty interesting, except for the combat. The animations need to be fixed. Why are people being so defensive about that fact? We know its an unfinished build. People should take it as constructive criticism and move the hell on. The guy looks like he using telekinesis or some shit. This is a next gen game, and the quality of the animation looks worse than some of the stuff we saw last gen, when they were in their unfinished states.

Aside from that, I'm digging just about everything else.

DenogginizerOS

Goreomedy said:
You give great analogy Denogg.

::smokes cigarette::

Be in my party of four when this comes out!

Thank you. I will most definitely be in your party of 4. Hopefully, Too Human will yield the co-op experience we were hoping for with Crackdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom