• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |NovDec15| It's Man God's world, we're just posting in it

ckohler

NOMINATIONS ARE NOW OPEN FOR THE FIRST ANNUAL TOONAMIGAF AWARDS

Best Promo: Kill la Kill
Worst Moment: Kirito wins on the first try by "predicting the predictions"
Best Moment: Simon's reunion with Kamina
Best Fight: Team Dai Gurren vs the Anti-Spiral
Worst Character: Kazuto "Kirito" Kirigaya
Best Character: Mako Mankanshoku
Best Villain: Annie Leonhart aka the Female Titan
Biggest Disappointment: Akame ga Kill
Best Surprise: Toonami Pre-Flight Announced
Most Wanted New Show: One Punch Man
Best Performance by a Voice Actor: Ben Diskin as Kaneo Takarada
Best Performance by a Voice Actress: Erica Mendez as Yuuki Konno

Today I learned that when you steal Giant Bomb's awards style you also run the risk of getting to Giant Bomb length.

The TOMmy awards are gonna be around 3 and a half hours.

EDIT: Okay maybe 4.

Raxus

Final part.

After some editing I am finally ready to finish off my nominations for 2015: I delayed everything to the last minute because of the Witcher 3 edition.

Without further ado.

Despite being meager on shows this year there were a handful of nice surprises in store from Toonami.

Best Surprise:

Intruder 2 Finally Being Finished

After much discussion it happened. And it was quite fun to boot. Tom shockingly survives and we now have a dope new HQ that should probably be plastered with non-smoking signs considering its origins :p
Toonami Pre-Flight
Not just surprised with its existence but its quality. It is nice to hang out with the producers of Toonami and discuss what they like and what is coming up. It is a nice mix of nostalgia and hype.
Samurai Jack is Back
#YearOfDreams indeed. NOBODY saw this coming and it is nice seeing the series finally getting its due and hopefully its ending.
Honorable Mention: The quality of Kill la Kill's dub

Most Wanted New Show:

______ when? There are tons of shows this year and last that were practically made for Toonami. GET ON THESE DeMarco. I also wanted to nominate an unexpected animes as well. Not to mention a bunch of anime you guys should check out that aren't really Toonami material :p

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1/2/3:
Hype the anime. I don't want to go into too much detail for fear of spoilers to freshmen but this anime is glorious. It is one of the 'necessary' reads for anime since it permeates modern anime today and is the origin of many tropes not to mention how 80's anime it is in all the best ways. Shame about its shitty DVD release though.
One Punch Man
Pretty much the slam dunk for Anime of the Year. This is up there with Space Dandy as a pure animator showcase. The cherry on top is it is quite funny. Action packed and runs at a great clip at 12 episodes. It is certainly this year's Attack on Titan plus actual quality. In my eyes it isn't a matter of if this will come to Toonami but when at this point.
Ushio and Tora
Why do I keep signing myself up to be hurt? Another Sentai show?!? Well Ushio to Tora is 90's anime in all the best ways. It is like Parasyte in that it is a condensed adaptation of the manga but it doesn't have as many growing pains as Parasyte and the fact it is an older anime isn't quite as evident. Not to mention it actually has some legitimate emotional highs in the series like the hair episode and a particular flashback episode.

Honorable mentions: Shirobako (anime is pain), Death Parade, Plastic Memories, Fate/Zero (ok this actually kind of qualifies), Valvrave (because I am a terrible person), Blood Blockade Battlefront, Tiger Bunny

Best Performance by a Voice Actor:

Lots of great performances this year thanks to some returning favorites and long time actors putting in work. I know my pick for winner but I figured I'd give them all their due.

Christopher Ayers (Frieza)
Most people tend to show new sides of characters thanks to their acting. Frieza though? Frieza is just a deliciously evil asshole who loves being evil. Christopher Ayers plays him beautifully (though I want to consider Frieza a woman but eh that is a rant for another time) and he plays both the untouchable and petulant sides of Frieza really well giving well rounded performance to a rather one note character.
Sonny Strait (Usopp)
Damn, I didn't want to nominate him because he is such a slam dunk and I feel Usopp has SO many great moments that he'll just be nominated again but let's face it. Sonny put in WORK with Usopp in one of his most emotional story arcs and even showing off his singing prowess with the Sniper King Theme. Hats off to you for knocking it out of the park.
Akron Watson (Satoshi)
Clenched the nomination for several reasons. Most importantly is it was deserved. He plays Satoshi with such creepy conviction you feel how much of a psychopath Satoshi is and how he slowly falls apart at the seems as the series progresses. Second we need to have more black VA's (and characters) in anime and it is a shame we are still so far behind the times in this aspect. Watson deserves a lot more love

Honorable mentions: David Vincent (Senketsu for that recap dialogue alone 0.0). Migi would have made this list if it wasn't another god damn voice actress! I was shocked too. Christoper Sabat (Vegeta). Jason Liebrecht (Rob Lucci would have made the list if not for Usopp), Patrick Seitz (Gamagoori was on my list until I remembered Michiko and Hatchin)

Best Performance by a Voice Actress:

Oh my god where do I start? Kill la Kill alone makes this list hard to fill with one character rule NARROWLY edging out one really great VA. And tons of solid performances all around.

Carrie Keranen (Satsuki Kiryuin)

Come back to another day and I could very well change her up with Mako (Christine Marie Cabanos). Both played VERY hard to match performance and did aces with their own flair thanks to the script of Kill la Kill and their performances. Satsuki was stern and unwavering and Keranen did a wonderful job portraying that on top of Satsuki's arc as she becomes more caring as the series goes on.
Brittney Marie Karbowski (Migi)
I had to give Sentai something and I give it to a Funimation VA. C'est la vie. Karbowski does a great job playing the rational to a fault Migi with the cold alien nature and will to survive.
Jad Saxton (Hatchin)
Playing a child is hard. Saxton played Michiko well, breathing life into the no nonsense kid who is dragged along on an epic adventure to meet her father. She plays the subtler sides of Michiko as well. Her vulnerability and steel will. Kudos to turning a role normally played with ear grating effects as a realistic kid that is enjoyable to watch. Quite the feat. Drunk Hatchin is the best.

MILE LONG LIST OF HONORABLE MENTIONS!: Colleen Clinkenbeard (Luffy), Sarah Williams (Nonon), Monica Rial (Michiko), Sametria Ewunes (Atsuko), Erica Mendez (Ryuko), Stephanie Sheh (Nui), Christine Marie Cabanos (Mako) plus many others I forgot.

And it is done! Good luck to all the nominees! I am going back to edit my list a bit and submit my final nominees.

Crocodile

When is the nomination deadline? Tonight? Not sure if I'll have the time to put something together by then.

Think Attack on Titan with bug monsters, replace motion gear and titan with cybernetically enhanced teenage boys and lolis with super powers then throw in some agk edge. Its the most hilariously terrible kind of shlock, the main villain even wears a mask for no reason.

The further along this sentence I read, the less happy I become :/

I mean this is stupid but not much more stupid than Akame ga Kill :p

BBboy20

Best Promo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT_tyeQMNr0

Worst Moment
SUPER https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StPTCo5qk8E

Best Moment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCrmD2tztK8

Best Fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yzGba31ces

Worst Character

Dr. Stylish..ok. almost everyone on AGK and SAOII.

Best Character
tumblr_inline_nrpyzcKGn71sg8zd7_500.gif

Best Villain
char_73065.jpg

AKA: Reality, really.

Biggest Disappointment
Not being able to enter the Toonami event at this year's San Diego Comic Con though I've heard it wasn't that great anyways so I dunno.

Best Surprise:
Samurai Jack is Back

______ when?
One Punch Man

Best Performance by a Voice Actor:
Christopher Ayers (Frieza)

Best Performance by a Voice Actress:
Jad Saxton (Hatchin)

Warning: Lots of Gifs

Best Promo

Late March 2015 Promo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9bVsL0_sYc
Great synchronization, music, and clips used.

Worst Moment

Sinon and Mister Friendzoned
z5cwr8n.gif

"My Creepy Best Friend Was The Killer and Now He's Trying to Assault Me."

Best Moment

Luffy vs Lucci Finale
luffy_vs_rob_lucci_jet_gatling_by_tsotne_senpai-d5th2ff.gif

AKA get fucked by deez hands

Best Fight

Satsuki vs Ryuko (Episode 3)
tumblr_mw4tkiYAf91qfbz1so1_500.gif

AKA destroying the entire school

Worst Character

Hiroshi Morenos
CAVFmiZWQAEStgx.png

AKA Deadbeat Daddy AKA Captain Fuckboi

Best Character

Migi
tumblr_njzow3Mj2A1qfr27po1_500.gif

AKA Best Pet/Weapon/Tactian/Hand

Best Villain

The Intruder
CVbVqRuVAAAxjn1.jpg

AKA The Blob Who Stalked Me

Biggest Disappointment

No more Movie Months or movies in general. #RIP
120720053759-empty-theater-story-top.gif

Best Surprise

The Return of Samurai Jack. #JackIsBack
tumblr_nyqv4qu1SQ1r3kmkso1_500.gif

Most Wanted New Show

tumblr_nlni88wy7i1qmencro1_500.gif

ONE PAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWUUUUUUNNNNCCCCCHHHHHH

Best Performance by a Voice Actor

Tom Gibis as Shikamaru Nara
giphy.gif

Best Performance by a Voice Actress

Brittney Karbowski as Going Merry
056a3e358723f084.gif

Line_HTX

I pretty much scrambled my list at the last minute. Good thing there was a dedicated Youtube channel for all the promos, speeches, and music videos.

Everything else I thought about it for a little bit and admittedly didn't do much research to remember some hilarious and/or awful stuff.

I can assure you I'm not trolling on my nominations.

TUSR

Banned
Best Promo: Kill la Kill

Worst Moment: SAO2 Cave

Best Moment: Kill la Kill Episode 24 (GARNiDELiA - Ambiguous)

Best Fight: Past the Infinite Darkness (KLK 24)

Worst Character: Kazuto "Kirito" Kirigaya

Best Character: Ryuko Matoi

Best Villain: SUPER AIDS

Biggest Disappointment: Akame ga Kill

Best Surprise: Samurai Jack RETURNS

Most Wanted New Show: Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma Cross Ange

Best Performance by a Voice Actor: Grant George as Uzu Sanageyama

Best Performance by a Voice Actress: Carrie Keranen as Satsuki Kiryuin

I'm gonna redo my nominations here:

Best Promo
Get Busy Living
Prepare for Battle
October 2015 Lineup

Worst Moment
Kirito and friends force Sinon to meet the woman she saved at the post office
Throwing that dog in the trash (Parasyte)
Kayaba made Yuuki's VR shit so he's a good guy now

Best Moment
Takarada's entrance
Ending driving montage (Michiko and Hatchin)

Best Fight
Goku vs. Vegeta
Michiko vs. Elderly Hitman vs. Druggie Samurai
Tsumugu vs. Everyone

Worst Character
Esdeath
Murano
Koga

Best Character
Bols
Hatchin
Usopp

Best Villain
Hidan
Satsuki
Vegeta

Biggest Disappointment
InuYasha: The Final Act
Kill la Kill's Second Half or So
The Rossiu Arc (Gurren Lagann)

honorable mentions: Everything Was Marathons, the Toonami comic

Best Surprise
Samurai Champloo
Sonny Strait Returns!
TOM is on a planet now

Most Wanted
Hunter x Hunter
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
One Punch Man

Best Performance by a Voice Actor
Chris Edgerly - Hidan
Christopher Sabat - Vegeta
Sonny Strait- Usopp

Best Performance by a Voice Actress
Carrie Keranen - Satsuki
Erica Mendez - Yuuki
Jad Saxton - Hatchin

I feel like the worst moment is competitive this year.

We have ASADA! of course, whenever Akame Ga Kill tries to be funny, the Sword Art Online cave episode, filler naruto, and Parasyte's "I'm gonna ask this flesh eating monster to go away in a secluded area."

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

We have ASADA! of course, whenever Akame Ga Kill tries to be funny, the Sword Art Online cave episode, filler naruto, and Parasyte's "I'm gonna ask this flesh eating monster to go away in a secluded area."

How does everyone keep forgetting Super AIDS? It literally ruined an arc that managed to get people's hopes up.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Come on, guys. Maybe that plan in Parasyte will work out in the end, considering we're only a few days away from seeing the end results.

Also yes, Super AIDS ruined the one possibly good character in SAO2. Also that whole "strawman mother is right but lol screw her, let's go play vijea gaemz"

Man God

Non-Canon Member

I think most of the time when AGK is trying to be funny it works out okay. It's just that the show is even more hilarious when its trying to be super serious.

Top Bottom