• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |SepOct17| 1 + 1 = YEAH!

Morlas

While I recognize R&M as a high quality show I just don't like it as much as some because cynicism grates on me after a while I prefer something more positive like Steven universe

While I recognize R&M as a high quality show I just don't like it as much as some because cynicism grates on me after a while I prefer something more positive like Steven universe

I'd probably actually be the opposite, granted I've never watched Steven's Universe. The real world just isn't that positive and I'm all kinds of cynical.

zulux21

eh... I only find R&M to be decent. To adult swim humory for me at times.

caliph95

I'm both so I can enjoy either of them depending on mood

I like Bojack more anyway

While it's entertaining I find Rick can be a bit of a mary sue at times even if he is supposed to be horrible

I'm both so I can enjoy either of them depending on mood

I like Bojack more anyway

While it's entertaining I find Rick can be a bit of a mary sue at times even if he is supposed to be horrible
Rick is like reverse Rusty Venture...though I do think Rick is actually more fucked up.

zulux21

Needta watch both Steven Universe and Rick and Morty too.

just understand the first 16 eps (10 min eps) or so of SU aren't great (but are needed) they aren't terrible either but not great, after that they get better, and then eps 25/26 are where you can ask yourself am I enjoying this series.

if the answer is yes, at least to some degree then you should finish season one (through episode 52) and if you aren't really feeling it at that point, run away, if you are you will likely enjoy the rest.

personally I find SU very comparable to Avatar the last airbender, in quality of story, cast, and even pacing.

the first season of both are more comedy focused than story focused but quickly shift towards a story focus near the end of season 1. SU then for some reason had its seasons split by cartoon network (but internally they still consider them just the 3 original seasons) so season 2/3 of SU is a lot of build up of characters and lore, and season 4/5 raises the stakes quite a bit.

I'd say avatar is still a bit better overall, but SU after those starting episodes is close in quality to me.

zulux21

Yeah I've heard a lot of good things about Steven Universe. I think I'll like it.

I personally really enjoy a lot of the themes in the show.

There are strong pro LBGT themes in the show which is nice to see in a kids show, but there are various other very adult themes in the series. (I don't consider this a spoiler given it's basically a main theme of the show lol)

one example would be
two people in an abusive relationship and one of them figuring out in horror that she was enjoying abusing the other person.

cntr

Banned
I don't doubt SU does it well but I always feel like when people talk about the serious stuff a series covers, it always makes the show sound really questionable since you don't get to see how the show actually executes it. :d

Morlas

I personally really enjoy a lot of the themes in the show.

There are strong pro LBGT themes in the show which is nice to see in a kids show, but there are various other very adult themes in the series. (I don't consider this a spoiler given it's basically a main theme of the show lol)

one example would be
two people in an abusive relationship and one of them figuring out in horror that she was enjoying abusing the other person.
That's messed up man
but at least she's trying to be better
it's also got a more mellow and less mean sense of humor than a show like ttg plus there's giant women and that's always fun

cntr

Banned
podcast stuff: hi i still listen to the podcast

But also WHAT was that really the plot of Twister?? I don't remember that!

zulux21

I don't doubt SU does it well but I always feel like when people talk about the serious stuff a series covers, it always makes the show sound really questionable since you don't get to see how the show actually executes it. :d

I mean I could go into details but where is the fun in that.

despite 10 minute episodes the thing I listed is set up well in advance, and was a major character turning point.

but despite being a kids show the series does a crazy amount of world and character building.

I am trying to think about things, but I think basically every character that has been in at least 5 episodes has had at least one episode dedicated to character growth lol.

caliph95

I mean, I watched it a really long time ago but even then I knew it was stupid

I totally forgot the movie had villains though, like, huh?
I watched review of it

But the villains iirc are doing the same thing as the heroes but they're doing it for the money and are dicks so they're the villains
Rick and Morty fans are the new Fight Club fans. Do you all agree?
No lies here

At least the same kinda fans

Probably add BB too

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Rick is like reverse Rusty Venture...though I do think Rick is actually more fucked up.

I actually think they're both worse in some different aspects. Rusty Venture is actually probably worse about how he treats those around him and when a Necromancer tells you you're doing some fucked up shit to your own kids then you know its bad.

Morlas

I mean I could go into details but where is the fun in that.

despite 10 minute episodes the thing I listed is set up well in advance, and was a major character turning point.

but despite being a kids show the series does a crazy amount of world and character building.

I am trying to think about things, but I think basically every character that has been in at least 5 episodes has had at least one episode dedicated to character growth lol.
Yeah the show does a really good job with both setting up characters over a long period of time
see Lars
and immediately slamming you in the face with an interesting and nuanced character
see Lapis
also for me its got the two best kid characters in any cartoon maybe any show

giphy.gif

caliph95

I actually think they're both worse in some different aspects. Rusty Venture is actually probably worse about how he treats those around him and when a Necromancer tells you you're doing some fucked up shit to your own kids then you know its bad.
Hey doctor strange is the nicest guy

But yeah Brock is a better father than Rusty

I mean, I watched it more than a decade ago but even then I knew it was stupid

I totally forgot the movie had villains though, like, huh?

I watched it more than half a decade ago and even I don't recall a single villain type character

As for SU, a life mission I have is to watch the Garnet's Universe episode in Japanese some day

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
See now...if Rick made that thing it would've worked. Also I completely forgot how shit of a dad Rusty was. I really need to do a rewatch, it's been years. Rusty doesn't exactly have the best dad to base everything off of either.

Jonas Venture might be one of the worst dads in fiction. Even Ging is more of a good dad than Jonas by a country mile. Some of the shit he did was basically just to torture his son in the most demeaning and public ways possible.

Morlas

Also if you guys are tired of all the shit dads in animation have I got the show for you
Greg for best cartoon dad

cntr

Banned
My opinion: cynicism is pretty much a waste of time. The world is effectively neutral, and since being in a bad mood damages you through the effects it has on your mind and body, being cynical or pessimistic makes you unable to deal with real life.

So don't do it. It's a disease, and pretty irrational.

Here is my issue I've been having with season 3 of Rick and Morty.

Every main member of the cast is awful. Genuinely awful. They're not flawed people, they're just terrible. Which could be fine. Hell, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is one of my favorite shows. The difference is, I feel Rick and Morty still wants us to care about the cast. The most recent episode had Beth
gleefully commit a murder
, and a few episodes back had
Beth commit a selfless act of pure love.

That dissonance is fine if you look at the show as a series of one offs. It's not really connected.

zulux21

I need to watch Venture Bros. too.

you don't need to rush there.

last I checked it had at least 2 more seasons confirmed.
the next one isn't rumored to come until next year, and if things follow the course the season after that will be about 5 years from now.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Gendo is at least doing his thing out of misguided love. Shou is more or less the most evil selfish asshole in anime history.

cntr

Banned
whenever people talk about anime dads, I think of that story about Itoi and why Ness's dad never shows up in Earthbound

Morlas

Here is my issue I've been having with season 3 of Rick and Morty.

Every main member of the cast is awful. Genuinely awful. They're not flawed people, they're just terrible. Which could be fine. Hell, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is one of my favorite shows. The difference is, I feel Rick and Morty still wants us to care about the cast. The most recent episode had Beth
gleefully commit a murder
, and a few episodes back had
Beth commit a selfless act of pure love.

That dissonance is fine if you look at the show as a series of one offs. It's not really connected.
Rick and Morty is full of terrible people who have flashes of being a good person and Steven Universe is full of good people who have things about them that are terrible sometimes

zulux21

Sounds like, um, a very timely show.

I mean it started airing 2003 and has a total episode count of 72 eps.

if you do go to watch it, avoid the pilot. its the first episode on netflix and I haven't a clue how the show got picked up from it. it's pure garbage but I am glad it got picked up because by the end of season 1 it becomes a great show.

Top Bottom