• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump's Saudi speech to urge unity against radical Islam

Codeblue

What's up with the soles of the feet thing? Crossing a leg while reading a paper or book is something basically everyone I know does, male or female.

People still cross their legs over there, just in a way that's typically considered feminine in the US. I lived in Saudi Arabia for 10 years and that's how I cross my legs to this day because my instinct is that it's rude otherwise.

In fact, the one time I crossed my legs with my sole showing, my Moroccan professor tore me apart.

Some pictures from his visit so far
The Ritz-Carlton Hotel
3u27UJJ.jpg

Front page of al-Riyadh newspaper
nGce6cK.jpg

Billboards
BwF6A2O.jpg

1Zitl23.jpg

eU0kfe1.jpg

BLPBBY6.jpg

Karamsoul

The "Middle East" is not going to unite short of conquest, because there are actually deeper and more bitter divisions between many of the groups that exist within the different regions that comprise the greater geographical area than any of them have with external groups.

Any call for "unity" in the Middle East as a whole comes, de facto, with a call for genocide against one or more of those groups to accomplish it.

Perfectly said. Wahabism is one of the most immoral and medieval cultures in power right now. The schism and control they've created is in detriment to the Islamic community as a whole.

It will probably be the most sedate speech you've ever seen from Trump. He'll basically just read off the script the entire time, instead of his usual notes.

This.

Trump is probably legit shook being over there. He doesn't like to travel as it is, let alone somewhere he doesn't understand at all.

The hell is going on here? Saudi is like the biggest islamic hellhole on earth and Trump is enjoying it

Oh right, gold. The hell is Bannon doing there?

Opto

Banned
Saudis know exactly how to get him. Just pamper him, make him feel like he's important. By the end of the trip I imagine no pro-America deals will be made.

Why is bannon there, oh god my sides hurt from laughing.

What time is the Toby keith concert, I wanna make sure I schedule my hentai fap session around it

Trump signs $110 billion arms deal with Saudi Arabia

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-signs-110-billion-arms-deal-with-saudi-arabia/
President Trump signed a multi-billion-dollar arms and economic deal with Saudi Arabia Saturday in a move intended to strengthen the U.S.-Saudi Arabian alliance against ISIS on the president's first foreign trip.

The agreement is worth $110 billion effective immediately and $350 billion over 10 years, in an effort to equip Saudi Arabia and Persian Gulf partners in the fight against ISIS. The agreement will provide fighter jets, tanks, combat ships and anti-missile defense systems and create defense-sector jobs in the U.S., according to the White House. The deal includes additional private-sector agreements and a joint vision statement with Saudi Arabia, one of the world's largest oil producers.

"That was a tremendous day," Mr. Trump told reporters. "Tremendous investments in the United States."

"Hundreds of billions of dollars of investments into the United States and jobs, jobs, jobs." he continued.

The agreement signals a strengthening relationship between the U.S. and Saudi Arabia, and distances the U.S. from Iran, Saudi Arabia's adversary. Mr. Trump is reportedly preparing to announce his support for an "Arab NATO" to counter a growing Iranian influence in the region.

I hope they ask what he's going to do about the radical Christians that want to ban Muslims traveling into America. The Saudi royal family couldn't be any more disgusting giving praise to a man that wants to ban and kill them all no matter the flavor of Islam.

Mahonay

Banned
I hope they ask what he's going to do about the radical Christians that want to ban Muslims traveling into America. The Saudi royal family couldn't be any more disgusting giving praise to a man that wants to ban and kill them all no matter the flavor of Islam.
Saudi royals only care about money and power. That's it. Islam is a tool they wield wildly on in their own favor. They don't give a fuck.

It makes sense that they are our allies considering how similar our politicians are.

Usobuko

Banned

I read before somewhere that the Saudi wants to utilize more of America power ( influence or military ) against some of their middle-east rivals ( I can't remember who, probably Iran ) in that region.

They don't seem to care about anything anywhere else. They were like kinda happy with Trump administration when they visited him soon after he was elected in the US. The rising Islam-phobia sentiment in the West and a consequence of Trump campaign don't really bother them.

the irony; Tillerson is badmouthing Iran for extemism and terrorism while standing in Saudia Arabia, the main exporter of Wahhabi extremism and home of the 9/11 hijackers

Alo0oy

Banned
The only thing worse for the Middle East than the current Saudi government and Donald Trump, are uniting those parties together.

I sent this to an Arabian friend and he laughed his ass off, saying that thumbs up is basically the Middle Eastern-version of showing you the middle finger.

The wiki citation from the article on the gesture:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...03/03/what_does_a_thumbs_up_mean_in_iraq.html
0xzXgQ5.jpg

the most straightforward interpretation is "Up yours, pal!" The sign has a similarly pejorative meaning in parts of West Africa, Russia, Australia, Iran, Greece, and Sardinia, according to Roger E. Axtell's book Gestures: The Do's and Taboos of Body Language Around the World. So, it's possible that the ostensibly cheering Iraqis are, in fact, silently voicing their displeasure.

Brinbe

He's just reading what someone else wrote for him. And I guarantee there's zero personal thought put into it. Who gives a fuck

Ithil

He's just reading what someone else wrote for him. And I guarantee there's zero personal thought put into it. Who gives a fuck

For some inexplicable reason, pundits constantly seem to forget that politicians have speechwriters, and that Trump is both barely literate and borderline incomprehensible in how awful his vocabulary and speaking style is, so they nonsensically talk about his speeches as though he personally wrote them.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Absolutely no way he stays on script. The man-child has way too much disdain for Islam to stay on script. This speech will be a gigantic trainwreck.

RPGCrazied

Absolutely no way he stays on script. The man-child has way too much disdain for Islam to stay on script. This speech will be a gigantic trainwreck.

Deep down he knows he is done back home, so he is just going to do what he wants and doesn't care what he fucks up.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I think much of his bigotry is just for show. He cares much more about deals and looking like the bigger man in the room.

Looking at his past, Trump wasn't particularly prejudiced in matters of religion or sex. Those things were inconsequential. He just doesn't care about them.

He wants a win because he needs a win, so he'll be nice and composed for once.

Alt-right Trump is an illusion. He's a venal old man who sees life as a succession of business deals that end with him being on top.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Much of his bigotry might be for show but I do think is bigotry towards Islam is real. It dates back before his presidential run.

I do agree that he cares more about 'winning' and 'deals' though. It'll just be an inner battle to see if he can control himself. Nothing we've seen indicates he can.

Ithil

I remember those alt-right people pretending to fret about Clinton's "connections" to Saudi Arabia. Not a peep now I expect.

I think much of his bigotry is just for show. He cares much more about deals and looking like the bigger man in the room.
I dunno, he's been playing that show for a long time, and long before he was playing up to a political base, going back to the 1970s. I think the pattern over the decades is too much to ignore and at the core he is racist. He's been a "successful" businessman despite these incidents because America.

But yah, he won't be anti-Muslim directly in front of them, same as he won't be anti-black in front of Dr. Carson.

Looking at his past, Trump wasn't particularly prejudiced in matters of religion or sex. Those things were inconsequential. He just doesn't care about them.

He wants a win because he needs a win, so he'll be nice and composed for once.

Alt-right Trump is an illusion. He's a venal old man who sees life as a succession of business deals that end with him being on top.

We know enough about his father. The deal with the CP5 etc that it's clear that racism and bigotry are the one thing he does not waiver on. Hatred is the core tenant of his belief.

Top Bottom