• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twelve McDonald's Menu Items That Failed Spectactularly

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill0527

Ericsc said:
I don't think you still can, I just checked the McDonalds online menu and I don't see any "Super Size" sizes

wiki says the "Super Size" sizes were 7oz Fries and 42oz beverages.

McDonalds only has 5.4oz Fries and 32oz beverages listed on the website.

Unless it's unadvertised, I haven't been in a McDonalds in years.

You don't ask for it 'super sized' anymore. Just tell them you want large fries and/or a large drink.

RDreamer

I was angry when they took away the super size stuff way back then, since the girlfriend and I would go and get one super sized meal and another sandwich and split things. After they took it off we had to get two full meals and ended up spending more.

Quick

Banned
They still have the McSpaghetti in the Philippines, to the best of my knowledge. Or was it just Jollibee? Filipino-GAF confirm?

I also remember having a McPoutine, which isn't on the menu anymore in Canada as far as I know. It was OK.

Eric C

bill0527 said:
You don't ask for it 'super sized' anymore. Just tell them you want large fries and/or a large drink.

But that's still not "Super Sized". Large Fries are 5.4oz and a large drink is 32oz. Super Size used to be 7oz Fries and 42oz drink.

Unless wiki or the online McDonalds menu is wrong.

Angry Fork

Super size going away made me incredibly angry. Who gives a shit if it's unhealthy let people eat it if they want. Super size fries + milkshake was like the best thing ever as a kid.

FStop7 said:
Don't diss McDLT.
my thought exactly.

Angry Fork said:
Super size going away made me incredibly angry. Who gives a shit if it's unhealthy let people eat it if they want. Super size fries + milkshake was like the best thing ever as a kid.
Super Size fries? Just buy an additional small fry.

and do you remember that tub of liquid they gave out? 64oz? get the fuck out with that ridiculousness. good riddance.

Clydefrog

7BkGI.jpg

It's ginormous :O

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
If there was a wiki dedicated to obscure fast food products, I would read the shit out of it.

Deadstar

The big n tasty was an absolute treat. I used to order it and say "Yes, I'll have the big and nasty." Girl was like, it's big and taaaayyyyysty. :)

Medalion

Banned
I miss Super Sizing

I vaguely remember their pizzas, they were alright but yeah take too long and quality and quantity was somewhat suspect in comparison to competitors

_woLf

I want them to bring back the mozzarella chicken sandwich they had. Chicken, tomato sauce, mozzarella. SOGOOD.jpg

Also, I had no idea they ditched the Big N' Tasty. I liked that burger. :(

N4Us

McDLT will forever be ingrained in my mind as part of that Transformers Happy Meal toyset with the food that turned into dinosaurs.

Cindres said:
Also as far as super size meals go, anyone dumb enough to stop eating it after super size me is a complete moron. Yeah of course eating NOTHING but fast food for a month will affect you negatively, hurr fucking durr, but in moderation.

I didn't take away from the film just that, but also about how much insane food advertising reeps into our culture.

I quit eating McD's before I saw the movie anyways, even when I rarely went there I felt sick as a dog after eating their food. Last time I ate something from them was a couple years back when I was on a roadtrip with some others and they stopped at one and got those pancakes. I just about died in the back seat afterwards.

The super-size me shouldn't be on the list. It lasted for 11 years before the 'bad press' started. How can a product that did well for that long be considered a failure?

krae_man

Ericsc said:
But that's still not "Super Sized". Large Fries are 5.4oz and a large drink is 32oz. Super Size used to be 7oz Fries and 42oz drink.

Unless wiki or the online McDonalds menu is wrong.

Fast food chains are like potato chip companies: Constantly playing around with sizes.

The Arch Deluxe is an interesting study in how you can totally ruin a product with nothing but marketing. I mean, it should be basically impossible to screw up what is essentially a bacon cheeseburger. It's the most normal thing ever, and fucking everybody loves bacon. There's no reason that product should have failed. But trying to pitch it to "adults" and showing kids being "disgusted" by it is just the most awful idea ever. If you show somebody (anybody, regardless of age) in a commercial that thinks the product is bad, then you are telling consumers that the product is bad. DUH.

Home

I never had a McPizza but as a kid I loved those little personal pizzas. Whenever we would go (which wasn't often enough :() I'd order one.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Botolf said:
Taquitos is more for snacks, but it kinda fits the bill.
you know, i was gonna finish a project this afternoon but now im just gonna read this

they even have a database of the how the delivery trucks are decorated.

genjiZERO

as an anecdotal, it's when super sizing became regular is when I started to notice young people getting noticeably fatter. Maybe they were always fat, I dunno. It didn't seem like they were when I was in high school (mid 90s). I was just on campus on day (years ago) and noticed how much fatter all the 1st year college students seemed...

bozeman

I can't believe they actually still sell the McLobster in New England. From driving around Maine a few years ago, I noticed there's no shortage of places to get awesome lobster rolls.

I worked at McD's during the Arch Deluxe. They made a HUGE deal out of that even to us employees. We had to come in for special training, tasting, and a warning that it would cause a huge bump in sales. It didn't. During busy periods, we'd go on runs (back when McD's pre-made sandwiches to keep in the bin and be ready for sale) and the person running the front line would always tell us to stop making Arch's after only a couple times through the run.

Our McD's franchise had an awesome deal that really made people turn into fatasses. If you bought a value meal, you could get another sandwich of equal or lessor value to the one in the meal for $1. There were many 2 Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese super sized value meals consumed. It's only been recently that I've realized that I really don't need to have 2 sandwiches with every fast food meal I eat.

TommyT

bill0527 said:

True, but I think what he is referring to is the quantity (in oz) of the items. He could be right as I do remember whenever we ran out of SuperSize boxes you could give a small bag of fries and a large box to have them be roughly equivalent.

bolbronx

Deadstar said:
The big n tasty was an absolute treat. I used to order it and say "Yes, I'll have the big and nasty." Girl was like, it's big and taaaayyyyysty. :)

heh, I used to work at McDonalds and when I was in production i always called it the Big Nasty.
Then I was fired for being to sexy

True Story.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Count Dookkake said:
McDLT was the shit.

Hi-tech packaging FTW.
All I can think of when I remember the styrofoam boxes McDonalds used is that shot in Toxic Avenger...those things can survive anything!

ElectricBlanketFire said:
Their biggest failure was not making this the permanent Happy Meal toy:

I still have the one I got from a happy meal long ago. Also, I used to love the Big n Tasty. Then I decided I needed to stop eating food that is terrible for you.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm trying to figure out how the Spicy McChicken didn't fail. It tastes like hate. It's almost as if the sandwich is angry at you.

The Big N Tasty still exists. It's just called the Big Tasty. I bought one in Paris 2 weeks ago. Unless they're not the same thing.

Anyway whopper > big tasty

On the box it said "c'est American(ne?)!". I thought it was kinda funny.

Sibylus

Banned
Jtwo said:
you know, i was gonna finish a project this afternoon but now im just gonna read this

they even have a database of the how the delivery trucks are decorated.
Happy to have helped! ;o

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Arch Deluxe was really just a bad marketing scheme. The idea of having a higher quality burger that isn't so bland is pretty commonplace at most fast-food joints these days; i.e. Carl's Jr. with the 6 dollar burger (which ironically costs 6 or more dollars depending on how you order it), McD's with the Angus Deluxe, etc.

RedNumberFive said:
I'm not a huge fast food guy. But about once a year, I have to buy one of these badboys:

11_CraveCase.JPG-757940.jpg

I try to get one every month just to see how long they last. Answer, less than 24 hours.

But I remember that McDonalds used to have Cheese Sauce for fries. I think this was around the time Space Jam was out. Somebody confirm so I'm not thinking I'm tripping out.

I need to go on a MickeyD's run in Japan. They have some of the craziest shit over there. I gotta have one of those Double Big Macs with the Egg Patty. Sounds good in my head anyway.

And McGangBangs. Love me some McGangBangs. Shit is too good.

EXGN said:
Is it bad I'm craving McDonald's now?

Naw, dude. I don't eat it often at all, but every once and a while I absolutely love a Big Mac and fries. It's a nice treat.

I'm kind of sad that I never got to try anything on this damn list. I didn't eat burgers as a youngster really, I was always a McNugget kid. The Arch Deluxe sounds quite nice, as does the DLT.

Clydefrog

TheLastCandle said:
Naw, dude. I don't eat it often at all, but every once and a while I absolutely love a Big Mac and fries. It's a nice treat.

I'm kind of sad that I never got to try anything on this damn list. I didn't eat burgers as a youngster really, I was always a McNugget kid. The Arch Deluxe sounds quite nice, as does the DLT.

Same here, man. It's the only meal I'll order from McDonalds.

The Big n' Tasty is just called Big Tasty here. That bbq sauce is the only that makes me eat there when I can get a Whooper for R$1,75 more.

My life would be a lot happier if I had the recipe for that sauce...

Most people never got a chance to try most of those, some are even regional. Doesn't matter since it was all about the mcnuggets (which I still get even as an adult).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom