• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US PoliGAF 2012 | The Romney VeepStakes: Waiting for Chris Christie to Sing…

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingK

Obama 82%
Huntsman 55%
Johnson 45%

They'll be updating congressional candidates throughout the year too, it seems. Pretty awesome.

woolley

Gary Johnson 76%
Ron Paul 75%
Buddy Roemer 69%

Was a little surprised that Obama was all the way in last with only 38% but I never liked him anyway. And I never heard of Gary Johnson before.

ToxicAdam

Can we all just accept that these types of polls (from USA Today (!!) and Votesmart) are not going to be nuanced and comprehensive as you might like. It's not a politcal compass, it's just a light and easy candidate match meant to appeal to the masses.

I touched on this yesterday here, but Ezra Klein, coincidentally, has provided a post that gives a far more detailed case.

Julie Schmit reports that the housing market is at, or very near, its bottom. After falling by 9 percent last year, single-family housing starts are expected to jump by 37 percent in 2012. Prices could still fall a bit, but by 2013, we should be in a real housing recovery.

918488.jpg

(Andrew Harrer - Bloomberg)

In a play on the administration’s widely mocked “recovery summer,” Matt Yglesias has dubbed this period the “recovery winter,” arguing that the economy is making a real turn toward a sustained recovery. I’m more skeptical. I think we’ll see headwinds in 2012 that will keep a lid on the recovery, at least for the first half of the year. But there’s no doubt that the pressure toward a recovery is building in the American economy. The next president, whoever he is, will enjoy a “recovery presidency,” and so too will his party. And that makes the 2012 election really, really important.

Can we all just accept that these types of polls (from USA Today (!!) and Votesmart) are not going to be nuanced and comprehensive as you might like. It's not a politcal compass, it's just a light and easy candidate match meant to appeal to the masses.
To flesh out the complaint a little bit more, the masses should be made aware that there are credible policy prescriptions to our nation's problems to the left of center-right. It presents an incredibly distorted picture to people who might not otherwise be aware, for example, that DHHS could conceivably reduce prescription drug costs without significant benefit reductions. I don't think the assumption on the part of most people here is that websites like those are deliberately omitting such options, but I think the more pernicious reality is that it might have never occurred to the editors of such a piece to include them.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
He makes some good points in the article, but he kind of hand waves things that are really important to me that Obama hasn't improved on: civil liberties & murdering countless people with drone bombs in the middle east.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Modified. Remember Al Gore got about 500K more votes than Bush, but the EC screwed him over.

Change to a popular vote, then. The point remains, any reasonably interesting candidate would have blown Bush out of the water to the point of garnering many more EC votes.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Change to a popular vote, then. The point remains, any reasonably interesting candidate would have blown Bush out of the water to the point of garnering many more EC votes.

LOL...the GOP will NEVER vote to move to a popular vote.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
So, how do Obama critics here (both from the left and right) feel about Sullivan's new piece?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/01/15/andrew-sullivan-how-obama-s-long-game-will-outsmart-his-critics.html

this

Mitt Romney accuses the president of making the recession worse, of wanting to turn America into a European welfare state, of not believing in opportunity or free enterprise, of having no understanding of the real economy, and of apologizing for America and appeasing our enemies. According to Romney, Obama is a mortal threat to “the soul” of America and an empty suit who couldn’t run a business, let alone a country.

amuses me.

Because the quality of life is better in europe than what goes on in America these days. But Romney wouldn't admit that. Obama wouldn't either, but he seems smart enough to recognise it and wouldn't be above putting through policies that are a slightly worse version of what europe has had in place for years. (see healthcare).

Also this

On foreign policy, the right-wing critiques have been the most unhinged. Romney accuses the president of apologizing for America, and others all but accuse him of treason and appeasement. Instead, Obama reversed Bush’s policy of ignoring Osama bin Laden, immediately setting a course that eventually led to his capture and death. And when the moment for decision came, the president overruled both his secretary of state and vice president in ordering the riskiest—but most ambitious—plan on the table. He even personally ordered the extra helicopters that saved the mission. It was a triumph, not only in killing America’s primary global enemy, but in getting a massive trove of intelligence to undermine al Qaeda even further. If George Bush had taken out bin Laden, wiped out al Qaeda’s leadership, and gathered a treasure trove of real intelligence by a daring raid, he’d be on Mount Rushmore by now.

Just proves he's got huge balls.

Not to take PoliGAF's attention away from Sullivan's article (I'll comment on that in a moment), but what is PoliGAF's read on Massachusetts senate race? Who do you think is going to win?

So, how do Obama critics here (both from the left and right) feel about Sullivan's new piece?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/01/15/andrew-sullivan-how-obama-s-long-game-will-outsmart-his-critics.html

I agree with Andrew Sullivan here a lot (I have always admired and agreed with him a lot though). I think he falls with me under the umbrella of understanding that Obama was never a liberal crusader, he was always a pragmatic Progressive. And his achievments are great from a progressive and liberal perspective. That is a point I have tried making many times, just like Sullivan there are things I am dissapointed in with Obama. But I step back, look at and read about what has happened since he took office and then I look accross the aisle and realize that Obama needs another 4 years. For the sake of America's future, Obama needs another 4 years.

And he is dead on that if what Obama has achieved in terms of foreign policy and fighting Al-Qaeda had happened to Bush he would be on Mt. Rushmore.

Not to take PoliGAF's attention away from Sullivan's article (I'll comment on that in a moment), but what is PoliGAF's read on Massachusetts senate race? Who do you think is going to win?

It is going to be really close. It will also be the race with highest amount of spending in 2012 (apart from the Presidency that is). It is tough to say who will win. Scott Brown has already started to shift into positions that are more supporting of the President and that will help him. A lot might hinge on Democratic turnout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom