• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

Tenumi

Banned
I actually finished off two shows I've been watching: Zyuranger, and Power Rangers RPM

Zyuranger.... was not all that great. Very much too much focus on kids, and once Burai showed up, it became the Burai and friends show until his bit of the plot was done. And making that worse was that entire time, the rest of the Zyuranger suddenly became incompetent, unable to beat anything without his help.

RPM, however, was worth its hype. It blended the self-referential humor with the seriousness rather nicely, and even though the plots have been done before mostly (Ranger possibly has a villian sister? In Space, anyone?), it was still fresh and entertaining enough that it didn't really matter. Strong characters definitely made the season work as well as it did, though.

Now, onwards to my last "backlog" Sentai in Dairanger, and beginning a rewatch of the Power Rangers series, starting from the very beginning...

alvmew

Gaim 13 (Aesir subs are out btw!)

This show just keeps getting better and better. Dat BGM that played when
Hase-chan transformed
was so fitting.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I've heard rumors that Butcher's actually helping write the upcoming SHT and it will connect with the Gaim main series...

Be cool if he got like an Arms based off a Showa Rider (or a Tokkyuger Arms?).

Watch Da Birdie

It's also good as shit, so I'm very okay with this.

Yeah, Episode 13 was probably one of the bigger "shit is going down!" episodes in Rider since, well, a long time since the past few seasons kind of kept up the status quo more or less till the end.

My favorite part of the episode was the Holo DJ Sagara though...what a waste of CG. But then I realize we've never seen him interact with anyone else in person, so I wonder if he's even real.

Slayven

Yeah, Episode 13 was probably one of the bigger "shit is going down!" episodes in Rider since, well, a long time since the past few seasons kind of kept up the status quo more or less till the end.

My favorite part of the episode was the Holo DJ Sagara though...what a waste of CG. But then I realize we've never seen him interact with anyone else in person, so I wonder if he's even real.

I think he is either a computer program or the first forest victim talking to people through a computer.

CrimsonN0

Tenumi

Banned
I am really surprised with Gaim. All my previous Kamen Rider watch attempts have been, well, terrible. Something about the formula hasn't clicked with me. But Gaim's different, and I'm loving it.

Also, Dairanger so far... way better than Zyuranger. Also, great looking foot soldiers.

shaowebb

Any ideas for the 2014 OT, TokuGAF?

tokugaf.png

"Bravo"

:D Because he is best Rider.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
That guy at least knows sound mixing, which I can't say the same for Saban.
Seriously, the music is constantly blaring over the dialogue, it's really annoying.

Watch Da Birdie

I still think OOOs is the best post-Decade show, but in a sense you don't really appreciate it till after you finish it (which means sitting through quite a bit of a boring middle), where everything sort of comes together.

alvmew

I still think OOOs is the best post-Decade show, but in a sense you don't really appreciate it till after you finish it (which means sitting through quite a bit of a boring middle), where everything sort of comes together.

Just as Ankh didn't seem to appreciate being Eiji's hand to hold onto
until he was gone ;_;
. OOO > W > Fourze > Wizard Infinty's suit and the show's music >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wizard itself. Gaim might be the one to beat OOO though, so good.

I like OOOs and think Eiji/Anhk/Hina is a strong character combo even if Hina gets left out at times, but W was amazing for me. I love the Shotaro/Philip combo, and far preferred the Sonozaki Family/Nazca/Weather to the Greeds overall. W was a more satisfying show for me.

I'd go W > OOO=Fourze >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wizard. Gaim is trending really strong though.

And that's before my absolute bro Riku Sanjo (W's head writer) decided he wanted to grace me with Kyoryuger. I'll pretty much follow that dude anywhere now and I much prefer the outsider head writers to the usual suspects (see: Urobuchi on Gaim so far).

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Watching the new Kyoryuger reminded me of the Torinity Strazor, which in turn reminded me to do this: (now with more Photoshop, better quality and smaller size. 13mb for that at 12fps, as opposed to a worse looking 20mb one with the older process.)

SGTorinityStrazor.gif

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Rewatching the W summer movie. Way better than when I first watched as I marathoned the series.

And that's before my absolute bro Riku Sanjo (W's head writer) decided he wanted to grace me with Kyoryuger. I'll pretty much follow that dude anywhere now and I much prefer the outsider head writers to the usual suspects (see: Urobuchi on Gaim so far).
It's similar to comic books in a sense. Not a big comic guy myself, but I think at a point you stop following certain characters you like and go with creators you like. Riku Sanjou's a guy to follow for his writing and Sakamoto for his action. But unlike comics these people are only switching off between two shows.

It's why I think Tokkyuger will be fine in terms of action since it has the Gokaiger/Wizard people on it. Even if the story sucks the fights will probably be good at least.

vareon

Rewatching the W summer movie. Way better than when I first watched as I marathoned the series.

It's similar to comic books in a sense. Not a big comic guy myself, but I think at a point you stop following certain characters you like and go with creators you like. Riku Sanjou's a guy to follow for his writing and Sakamoto for his action. But unlike comics these people are only switching off between two shows.

It's why I think Tokkyuger will be fine in terms of action since it has the Gokaiger/Wizard people on it. Even if the story sucks the fights will probably be good at least.

Except the selection is so limited that you'll follow each year's series anyway.

You know, now that i think about it, i've never ever felt sentai as 'heroes'. Don't they always kick ass because of power of numbers? I mean they can wack mooks fine but outside of rare cases they do usually do some gang bang execution on pretty much every baddy of the week.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Back when I made the Flashman gifs, not only I made the Shut Goggle gifs, but I also timed each of the personal henshin, group henshin and group roll call and noticed something.

There's no complete "let's transform, each of our members transform, each of our members do a little intro, then we do a complete intro" in Flashman. They're always transforming in a hurry (as illustrated by the multiple "let's all shut our goggles at the same time" gif).

It was either "let's henshin, all members show transforming, all members present themselves as a group" or a even smaller version of that.

Each member only had their personal presentations on their specific character episodes (when they transformed by themselves), and in some special cases (Blue), that only happened twice in the entire series.

Weird, when nowadays, the henshin, individual transformation and presentation is like half the episode alone. And I like it that way.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
^ Speaking of which, less than a month to go until we get our finale unmorphed roll call for Kyoryuger. ;_;

Which makes me really sad. I didn't like the "full 10 kyoryuger" henshin they did. The one that always shows up in the intro in recent episodes.

Green in midjump and falling down all weird, while everybody is stuck in their statue poses while everything is blowing up behind them is really disconcerting. At least to me.

WillyFive

Which makes me really sad. I didn't like the "full 10 kyoryuger" henshin they did. The one that always shows up in the intro in recent episodes.

Green in midjump and falling down all weird, while everybody is stuck in their statue poses while everything is blowing up behind them is really disconcerting. At least to me.

For a synchronized roll call that big (10 suit actors + explosion), I wouldn't think they'd have a lot of time to get it all synced to a T. They probably had limited time so they just went with the best shot they were able to get, which it's only flaw was that Green was behind the rest. The ones we didn't see were probably even less in sync.

And as we saw with the RPM Behind-the-Scenes special (which also had action by Sakamoto), the actors are really far away from the actual explosion; they use forced perspective to make it seem like the explosion is right behind them. So we shouldn't have any problem seeing a full unmorphed one.

Except the selection is so limited that you'll follow each year's series anyway.

If I'm not digging a show, I have a standard plan in place. I'll watch the first few episodes, any eps a new ranger/Rider/form appears, and the last three episodes. For Wizard that grew to the last five episodes, but the essence remains the same. When you can download them a la carte, it's not a problem.

Slayven

Oh good, I thought I was the only one who was bugged by it. Even for a toy, it looks chunky - like one of those off-brand foam bow-and-arrow sets. That's what it basically is, but it doesn't have to look like it.
yeah I hate those ebcause the pull think takes away the awesomeness of a bow.

do the energy fruit have their own specialty weapons? or are they stuck with the bow?

Nope just the sonic arrow.

Cherry Flail (The Pit Smasher?)
medieval-two-ball-flail-hr4-247-p.jpg

Lemon Halberd
Axe_2.jpg

Peach Guillotine (a bit close to Kiwi, I know.)
_scv__killer_by_omegaoptimussupreme-d4x5qoy.png

Axe was my idea for Apple, with the name Core Splitter.

Top Bottom