• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Over the past 3 years, everything Saban has done has been the opposite of "making sense".

I have this feeling that Saban is still stuck in the 90's.
A lot of what they do feels like it's something a 90's company would do. They haven't evolved or adapted to the 2010's, their shows still feel stuck in a certain mindset (and yes that includes Digimon Fusion which has done annoying practices like lull destruction and too many jokes).
Maybe I'm just too used to children's shows like Adventure Time or The Legend of Korra that don't talk down to the audience. I feel Megaforce did a lot of talking down with certain episodes like the one with the jokes, or the one about dreams (still feel like vomiting from that one).

Also, I can't be the only one that noticed Rico had a worse fate in Megaforce than he did in Goseiger. In Goseiger he blew up, sure yeah, but in Megaforce he's floating in space for eternity. That's fucked up.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Rumors are saying we might get Kamen Rider X's actor, too.

And I would be shocked if we didn't get Tetsuo Kurata/Black (RX) as well. Also I saw a recent video of Super-1's actor doing the henshin pose, and he looked like he could still pull it off as well.

I also saw mention of the Blade Boys too....

Tachibana (Garren) and Kusaka in the same movie, I don't know if I can be betrayed enough!

NeonZ

Awesome. Hopefully this means they get rid of the "we don't show them on-screen because cyborgs don't age" excuse.

I wonder if it has anything to do with Kaneda not directing this? It's kind of suspicious that as soon as Kaneda is dumped we start getting past actors. He never seemed fond of directing action scenes with past heroes either considering the rushed All heroes action scenes in most of his movies. He only seemed to do the minimal amount of work required by the script for them.

The whole thing absolutely falls apart due to the time travel story being handled SUPER poorly. By the end, they're ostensibly back in OOO's timeline, but they never corrected the altered past, so Shocker had been in power for 40 years. And it just ends like that. They don't reset the world back to status quo, so we're presumably left with a world that has suffered 40 years of Shocker ravages.

That's not really the case though. The Riders didn't exist in that world, and yet they were back by the ending. We also saw the Shocker medal vanishing. The past was mostly fixed due to people remembering the Riders and the original timeline - Den-O "memories are time" logic.

And speaking of 40 years, when Ichigo says "We only pretended to be working for Shocker!", they don't address that apparently Ichigo and Nigo pretended to work for Shocker for 40 YEARS.

They don't though. The one who broke their brainwashing was Naoki, who only disappeared and joined Shocker after he already had married and Mitsuru was born and grew up enough to at least remember him. So, it wasn't that long.

vareon

Hongo and Keisuke Jin (X) is confirmed. I really hope Kotaro Minami joins next.

Then add this guy for lulz:

jGn6K2K.jpg

HI GUIZE

BatDan

So that's Super Megaforce huh...
I hope it's not disappointing. It probably will be, but there's still that small glimmer of optimism there.

I really want to watch Gokaiger, but... let's just say a certain program doesn't agree with me.

WillyFive

...They're pretty much the same morphing sequences as Gokaiger...
Gokaiger's wasn't as obvious that they were still frames of the actors, and they were at least shot at an interesting angle, with zooming in and everything.

And just like in Samurai, the special effects for the realtime morph is bland and lame as heck. It just fades into the new suit.

jwk94

So I finally finished watching RPM in its entirety. That season is just so good. If PR had actually ended there, I would have been satisfied. Am I the only one who wants the Go-Busters adaptation to take place in the RPM universe? It makes too much sense what with the computer thing and all.

Are those really the morphing sequences? Man, they suck. So cheap.

Also, fat American suit actors strike again.

You mean fat New Zealand extras. They had a callout to fill in the other rangers.

shaowebb

Been watching some more Fourze lately. Did they same suit designer who worked on Wizard do the villains on this show? The style seems pretty familiar looking. Really dig Libra's design alot. Reminds me of Iria Zeiram.

BatDan

Having watched the first few episodes of Gokaiger, I can conclude this is the closest we'll get to a live-action One Piece.
Marvelous is Luffy, Joe is Zoro, Luka is Nami, and Doc is a combination of Usopp and Chopper.
Ahim... I guess she's Vivi. Which is strange since she's not an official Straw Hat. I guess having her act like Robin would scare the kids.

Been watching some more Fourze lately. Did they same suit designer who worked on Wizard do the villains on this show? The style seems pretty familiar looking. Really dig Libra's design alot. Reminds me of Iria Zeiram.

Probably - PLEX does all of the monster designs for Toei, and there probably wasn't any change in staff between Fourze and Wizard. Details on PLEX are frustratingly scarce for English-speakers; for example, supposedly the suit designer for Fourze did some work on Bima Satria Garuda, but I haven't been able to find a name to put to the designs for months.

Having watched the first few episodes of Gokaiger, I can conclude this is the closest we'll get to a live-action One Piece.
Marvelous is Luffy, Joe is Zoro, Luka is Nami, and Doc is a combination of Usopp and Chopper.
Ahim... I guess she's Vivi. Which is strange since she's not an official Straw Hat. I guess having her act like Robin would scare the kids.

I actually think Fourze puts off more of a One Piece vibe than Gokaiger with all of the emphasis on friendship and how Gentaro pretty much recruits his own "crew" with the Kamen Rider Club. I mean obviously Gokaiger has the pirate stuff and all but in most other departments, Fourze is the more One Piece-y show imo.

Also goddamn Gaim pulled no punches this week.

Watch Da Birdie

And Hase's actor is shown on the official site receiving his "goodbye" bouquet, he's not coming back. :(

I actually think Fourze puts off more of a One Piece vibe than Gokaiger with all of the emphasis on friendship and how Gentaro pretty much recruits his own "crew" with the Kamen Rider Club. I mean obviously Gokaiger has the pirate stuff and all but in most other departments, Fourze is the more One Piece-y show imo.

Also goddamn Gaim pulled no punches this week.

I'm reasonably sure that Gokaiger's One Piece vibe was intentional. Why not tie your show to the biggest shonen manga/show ever? I think it was explicitly reference in an interview once, but i'd have to find it.

Slayven

Only thing I don't like about Gaim is that the monsters have no theme. Toei is usually pretty creative with monster themes.

Watch Da Birdie

Only thing I don't like about Gaim is that the monsters have no theme. Toei is usually pretty creative with monster themes.

Rider's usually more simple. They just go with animals usually, but adjust them to fit under the "species" of the monster.

It was only Hibiki, Den-O, and the post Decade series that got a bit more thematically. Gaim's pretty much in-line with Kuuga and such.

I believe we've seen Japanese, Chinese, and European named Invase, and the rookies come in Blue, Green, and Red as if to possibly correspond to Gaim, Ryugen, and Baron, but I don't know how far this goes.

alvmew

Gaim 14

Welp. Definitely don't want to drink orange juice anymore. Well done.

They have a theme - it's being animals ripe for the urobutcher to have his way with them.

Rider's usually more simple. They just go with animals usually, but adjust them to fit under the "species" of the monster.

It was only Hibiki, Den-O, and the post Decade series that got a bit more thematically. Gaim's pretty much in-line with Kuuga and such.

I believe we've seen Japanese, Chinese, and European named Invase, and the rookies come in Blue, Green, and Red as if to possibly correspond to Gaim, Ryugen, and Baron, but I don't know how far this goes.

Also this.

Slayven

I guess it peaked with Kabuto.

Watch Da Birdie

I guess it peaked with Kabuto.

Most of the Den-O Imagin were based on various fairy tales according to the official site, but some were a bit of a stretch. Like we had the Big Bad Wolf, and the Tortoise and Hare, but others were like just animals that had appeared in Aesop's Fables.

I believe all the Fangire had musical-themed names only seen via the site too.

vareon

Most of the Den-O Imagin were based on various fairy tales according to the official site, but some were a bit of a stretch. Like we had the Big Bad Wolf, and the Tortoise and Hare, but others were like just animals that had appeared in Aesop's Fables.

I believe all the Fangire had musical-themed names only seen via the site too.

I heard W's dopants were based on things you'd find on a museum. Then we have Money, Sweets, and Yesterday dopants.

I'm reasonably sure that Gokaiger's One Piece vibe was intentional. Why not tie your show to the biggest shonen manga/show ever? I think it was explicitly reference in an interview once, but i'd have to find it.

Oh yeah, no doubt about it. I know they said they drew influence from One Piece for Gokaiger, I was just saying Fourze just felt more like it to me personally.

About Gaim though
I was a little disappointed by Sid being Sigurd if only for the fact that they hyped up Sigurd's identity so much, I mean Sid felt too obvious so I don't see what the point was in hiding it so much.

shaowebb

Probably - PLEX does all of the monster designs for Toei, and there probably wasn't any change in staff between Fourze and Wizard. Details on PLEX are frustratingly scarce for English-speakers; for example, supposedly the suit designer for Fourze did some work on Bima Satria Garuda, but I haven't been able to find a name to put to the designs for months.

Has there ever been a book containing the PLEX work on suits and concepts? I'd buy that and then some if you could help me locate such a title.

Watch Da Birdie

I just realized we can probably add another Butcher moment to today's episode of Gaim...

Rat got seriously scratched by an Invase. He's gonna end up with that "turns into a plant" disease. :(

Has there ever been a book containing the PLEX work on suits and concepts? I'd buy that and then some if you could help me locate such a title.

I looked around, but my Google-Fu was too weak to find anything. I can at least say with confidence that there isn't a formal book about PLEX, so that's a dead end. Honestly, you'd be better off looking at art books for the shows if or when they get them, and Wizard doesn't have one yet, just a bunch of photo collections.

The thing with PLEX is that they hire mecha and character designers and assign them to different parts of the designs, so their staff shifts around every now and then. It's just a part of the business for them, so it makes sense that there's no detailed explanation for it. Well, it makes sense for PLEX, anyway. It's a pain, though. I think the last time I saw them make a formal promotion for one of their artists was when they were at Power Morphicon 3.

The Power Rangers adaptation of this season is going to be... interesting.

Saban doesn't have the balls to step to this. I'm giving Tokkyuger three episodes just for male Pink.

%E3%80%90%E6%96%B0%E7%95%AA%E7%B5%84%E4%BA%88%E5%91%8A%E3%80%91%E7%83%88%E8%BB%8A%E6%88%A6%E9%9A%8A%E3%83%88%E3%83%83%E3%82%AD%E3%83%A5%E3%82%A6%E3%82%B8%E3%83%A3%E3%83%BC%E3%80%80%EF%BC%9C2%E6%9C%8816%E6%97%A5%E6%94%BE%E9%80%81%E9%96%8B%E5%A7%8B%EF%BC%9E.mp4_snapshot_00.09_%5B2014.01.19_09.06.08%5D.jpg

I do wonder why Toei keeps using pink if it's not going to sell well for them merchandise-wise. Red, Black, Blue, Green, Yellow is a totally decent color set that worked for Liveman. Or returning to white (though they used pink highlights) like Gao or Kaku.

GManDH

if this works might we see more and more seasons where no one color is assigned to ONE person, and have a lot of ppl switching colors?

Top Bottom