• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Venom, Black Cat & other highly anticipated Spidey spinoffs NOT set in MCU

Patryn

Is there a reason they can't just do these movies like Spiderman, Sony pays and Marvel make them & get to borrow characters? Symbiote suit in Infinity War would be great.

Because Marvel is honestly concerned that superhero fatigue may become more than just a joke, and want to avoid flooding the market with MCU films. They're happy doing 2-3 a year and that's it.

And while Spider-man is a big enough character that they're willing to forego doing one of their own films in one of the slots, Venom and the like aren't important enough for them to bother.

sturmdogg

So can someone explain to me why Feige would be against having Venom et al set in the MCU? Wouldn't Marvel be able to use these characters as well?

Cuburt

That would be really stupid if by making a solo Venom film or Silver and Black that those characters won't even be in a Homecoming sequel. It would be stupid enough that these spin-offs don't have Spider-Man, but I didn't even think about it not going the other way as well.

jett

D-Member
This seems like further evidence that Pascal is not in on any of the decision making at all and she just doesn't know what's going on. She's getting a production credit on this as part of her severance compensation for getting dropped from Sony Pictures after the Sony hacks nuked her career there, but she's clueless. A producer who was actually involved in all of this would know better.

Pascal has been nothing but awful at Sony. Seems like she's just failing upwards, classic Hollywood style.

Silver & Black honestly sounds like another Ghostbusters disaster in the making and Venom just sounds bad period.

For someone who was "fired" by Sony, Pascal is still a driving force behind the company.

So can someone explain to me why Feige would be against having Venom et al set in the MCU? Wouldn't Marvel be able to use these characters as well?

I don't doubt they'd use them in the MCU if Sony wasn't making the solo movies. Feige is (understandably) afraid of committing to utilizing a character that Sony largely controls and might ruin in one of these movies. He's busy overlooking 3 movies a year as is, Spidey included. He can't be involved in every aspect of these Sony movies, especially since they won't net Marvel Studios any coin.

Silver & Black honestly sounds like another Ghostbusters disaster in the making and Venom just sounds bad period.

For someone who was "fired" by Sony, Pascal is still a driving force behind the company.

Yeah. Feige and Marvel Studios, even if given the choice (not sure if they have it, cause I'm guessing Sony just wants to do their own thing while piggybacking off Marvel heading the Homecoming series for the immediate future), Sony's choices in making shitting movies literally SCARES people. It would be like if you wrote a super hero story and wanted it to be as good as possible, then your friend comes by and says, "I came up with some characters and ideas I'd love to work into your story and its world!" but that friend is a shit writer with a shit vision regarding story, pacing and character development. It's like, "Nah, man, you get over there! You can 'say" they take place in the same 'world', but I'm gonna do my own thing (and pretend your shit doesn't exist), you do you!"

Cuburt

I found an old link to a break down of relevant details between Marvel and Sony during early-ish negotiations that were not set in stone but sound pretty far along due to how many of those same things seemed to have come true.

Here are a few relevant quotes pulled from Pascal's emails about the potential deal

are there any other characters from the spiderman universe they are using? can we use one of the marvel characters in our future spiderman movies not produced by marvel.can we use cap to set up ss? can drew work with the russos to get this done? are we renting him out?

The questions about a Spider-Man standalone would include what to do with Sony's planned Sinister Six film, slated for release in November 2016, as well as what to do with the team of individuals already involved with the Spider-man and Sinister Six projects at Sony.

would we have to dismantle ss?

can drew goddard write the sm original?

who would direct the sm movie?

what do we do with matt tolmach and avi?

they can not put spidey in future spiderman movies or team ups.

we need to keep animation rights for a theatrical relaesse spiderman move to be directed by lord and miller

we need to be able to make spiderman movies after this movie

we need to be able to make the girl team up movie

is it possible to put spidey in worlds without other characcters once we is with iron man and cap

can we have him in cap and then 6 months later in ss

comingle everything

we have a right to co finance any movie that spiderman is in and get a production credit

we get to make future movies with our characters and theirs in a collorative way but we dont need their approval

Abounder

Banned
Just waiting for Sony execs to cast all their Spidermen for the ultimate webslinging crossover, preferably killing off the British ones. Be a nice cartoon comic way of dealing with spinoffs and reboots; of course it'd be box office poison though

swars4.jpg

PudieRSC

But like....how?

Spider-Man is in the MCU. It's canon. So how can you do a movie set in the Spidyverse and say it's not in the MCU too? Just do what you do with Agents and The Defenders and just now acknowledge it.

A Venom that doesn't involve Spider-Man is Venom in name only. It's like making a Catwoman movie that doesn't involve Batman. You're not doing service to anyone with that, it's just a brand name you hope people recognize.

I'm perfectly fine with Venom getting his own movie, but only after you establish the character in the Spider-Man movies as an antagonist. Otherwise, I don't have any reason to care.

OmegaFax

I think Marvel is fine with Sony screwing up Spider-Man with a series of spin-offs that ignore the MCU continuity. The only reason Disney/Marvel propped up Spider-Man is a gamble on whether Sony can wreck the franchise forcing Sony in a position to sell the rights back to them, and Marvel being able to easily integrate Spider-Man into their existing films because of Civil War and Homecoming.

You could totally tell Kevin Feige's facial expressions were like, "No, I never said that ... shut the fuck up"

Lifeline

They were rumored to do the multiverse before, with Spider-Gwen being in the Sliver Sable movie. I'm guessing all these movies take place in a different world and then after Spider-Man 3, Spidey himself joins this universe.

EYEL1NER

Dom & Co have to stop a heist by super heroes? Hmm. Yeah maybe their cars could be literally "suped" up. So they can fly and teleport and shit.

Lol FF as in Fantastic 4 but I like where you're going with this. Spider-Man has always had stronger FF connections in the comics.
I like where you both were going with this: Fast and Fantastic. People have joked about Dom going into space, right? Well maybe Kurt Russell sends them up to rescue a team of scientists who were trapped aboard a space station during a catastrophic cosmic storm. When they reach the station and dock their space-cars to it, they proceed through the airlock only to find Reed Richards awaiting them. "I'm glad help has arrived. Something... fantastic has happened."
When the team has been rescued, they journey back to earth but an attack by a new THIRD Shaw brother knocks them off course and sees them crash-landing in a mysterious country called Latveria, which is ruled over by a furious rival of Reed's named Victor Von Doom.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I read it just fine. I stand by what I said. Things can change, but I'm confident (not avatar bet confident) in what I said.

There's nothing to be confident about. It's wrong. It's nothing remotely like the Netflix shows.

This thread is literally about the spinoffs not being in the MCU. I don't understand why you're arguing it.

ZeoVGM

Banned
People are going to blame Marvel studios when Spider-Man doesn't appear in the Venom movie.

I don't think anyone will be "blamed" but it will be confusing to the general public.

Sony is now hammering it over everyone's heads that Homecoming is in the MCU. Look at this freaking commercial. I mean, holy crap.

And it makes sense. That is what they should be doing. But then when Venom comes out, people are going to assume it's an MCU movie only for it not to be.

These movies are a bad idea. They should not happen. I hope this falls through.

Vidiot

I don't care either way anymore. I'm grateful to have Spidey in the MCU at all. He got there just in time for the final boss fight.

Thighs alwaysseemed like how thingswould be handled to me.

Really, it's no different to Agents of Shield or the Netflix shows. They and the Spiderman spinoffs are all happening in the MCU universe, but the MCU itself doesn't acknowledge them and isn't beholden to their canon. However, if at some point in the future any elements of those spin off sub canons get into an MCU film, then would they be a true part of it.

Really, it's no different to Agents of Shield or the Netflix shows. They and the Spiderman spinoffs are all happening in the MCU universe, but the MCU itself doesn't acknowledge them and isn't beholden to their canon. However, if at some point in the future any elements of those spin off sub canons get into an MCU film, then would they be a true part of it.

This keeps being said and it doesn't make any sense because at least the Netflix shows and SHIELD reference the films. They are placed squarely in the same universe. The Sony movies will not be allowed to do this.

Not saying it'll be good or bad. But some here think it's outrageous that a Venom movie is hyped.

I've seen tons of hype for from people love Marvel comics.

But it is outrageous. It literally does not make any sense without the context of spiderman. Also his relationship to Brock.

What's Eddie gonna do?
Get the symbiote and decide he likes spiderman and decide he wants to copy his look?

Just waiting for Sony execs to cast all their Spidermen for the ultimate webslinging crossover, preferably killing off the British ones. Be a nice cartoon comic way of dealing with spinoffs and reboots; of course it'd be box office poison though

swars4.jpg

That makes more sense than a stand-alone venom movie.

I don't think anyone will be "blamed" but it will be confusing to the general public.

Sony is now hammering it over everyone's heads that Homecoming is in the MCU. Look at this freaking commercial. I mean, holy crap.

And it makes sense. That is what they should be doing. But then when Venom comes out, people are going to assume it's an MCU movie only for it not to be.

These movies are a bad idea. They should not happen. I hope this falls through.
I highly doubt people who assume that cares that much about it in the end. Most people in the general public don't. Heck those types of people thought Fant4stic was a Marvel movie too, and it didn't hurt Marvel much in the end.

... Which would be the MCU.
To Marvel. Not to Sony. Being that they both have a say in it, they can tell people whatever they each want people to hear.

This keeps being said and it doesn't make any sense because at least the Netflix shows and SHIELD reference the films. They are placed squarely in the same universe. The Sony movies will not be allowed to do this.
As long as Sony only references stuff in Spider-Man: Homecoming that they own, ie their own characters, settings, etc., I don't see what Marvel can do to stop them. They still have rights to their own characters in the end, and this is just an agreement to share them with Marvel.

ZeoVGM

Banned

Really, it's no different to Agents of Shield or the Netflix shows. They and the Spiderman spinoffs are all happening in the MCU universe, but the MCU itself doesn't acknowledge them and isn't beholden to their canon.

They're not in the MCU.

I don't understand why some of you guys are making this more difficult than it needs to be.

The spinoffs are not in the MCU. That's literally what the OP is about. It's in the thread title.

Y

They're not in the MCU.

I don't understand why some of you guys are making this more difficult than it needs to be.

The spinoffs are not in the MCU. That's literally what the OP is about. It's in the thread title.
The OP is about semantics. Yes, they take place in Sony's Marvel Universe, which according to multiple Sony interviews takes place in the same universe as Spider Man Homecoming, which technically takes places in the MCU, but for Sony's movies they can't say that because Disney won't let them, so they just pretend it's the same universe without calling it the MCU. It's pretty clear ever since the annoucement that Sony intended to do this.

So is this spider Man gonna be in both universes? Or are they gonna make spiderverse movies without the actual spider?

Neither of those are good options. Marvel should have just let Sony continue to fail with spiderman and hope they could get full rights back after another failure or three. Now their mcu spider is forever tainted.

I don't understand how people are confusing "Marvel Comic Universe" and the MCU. MCU=Marvel Cinematic Universe. Marvel Comic Universe is talking about the comic books.

What? So Tom's spider-man will be in the MCU but then the separate Sony Marvel Comics Universe? Thats not confusing at all

Looking like there might be three? MCU Peter Spidey. Animated Miles Spidey. And spin-off Spidey that won't have his own movie, but be a part of others.

Sony is ten steps ahead building that Spideyverse.

Busty

Banned
What? So Tom's spider-man will be in the MCU but then the separate Sony Marvel Comics Universe? Thats not confusing at all

It's my understanding that Holland's Spider-Man won't feature in any of these 'knock-offs' until he's free of the MCU and then he'll be folded into this Sony-verse.

For all intents and purposes this Sony knock off cineverse will be just as separate from the MCU as Fox's X-Men films.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
It's my understanding that Holland's Spider-Man won't feature in any of these 'knock-offs' until he's free of the MCU and then he'll be folded into this Sony-verse.

For all intents and purposes this Sony knock off cineverse will be just as separate from the MCU as Fox's X-Men films.

yes, and by the time that happens who knows what sony pictures will be. maybe just another aquisiton for Disney 😈

ZeoVGM

Banned
Y
The OP is about semantics. Yes, they take place in Sony's Marvel Universe, which according to multiple Sony interviews takes place in the same universe as Spider Man Homecoming, which technically takes places in the MCU, but for Sony's movies they can't say that because Disney won't let them, so they just pretend it's the same universe without calling it the MCU. It's pretty clear ever since the annoucement that Sony intended to do this.

It isn't about semantics.

It's a Sony-only production. So you will not see any references to anything in the MCU.

Tom Holland is not in it.

There is no "technically takes place in the MCU." It simply doesn't.

Busty

Banned
yes, and by the time that happens who knows what sony pictures will be. maybe just another entirety for Disney 😈

SPE are definitely getting themselves ready for sale. Whether that's a sale in it's entirety to an outfit like Verizon or even Amazon or the outfit is stripped for parts and bought up by the other studios in town.

Glass Rebel

SPE are definitely getting themselves ready for sale. Whether that's a sale in it's entirety to an outfit like Verizon or even Amazon or the outfit is stripped for parts and bought up by the other studios in town.

I'm genuinely curious what makes you say this.

Top Bottom