• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Venom, Black Cat & other highly anticipated Spidey spinoffs NOT set in MCU

MrMephistoX

They lost the rights but they are bidding to get them back:
http://screenrant.com/james-bond-25-film-rights-bidding-war/

But whoever gets it will always be at risk to their contract expiring and MGM/EON choosing another studio. Its just not a good license to count on unless you buy MGM/EON.

I had actually thought Sony bought MGM/EON until recently but then researched and realized...yep that was a dumb move not to buy it when they had the chance. The next license is only for one film too so it's kind of a shitty unreliable horse to hitch oneself to...that said there's an article circulating that fucking Kaz Hirai bid for it on a reconstructed Doctor No set on the Sony lot so good on him.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/20/business/media/james-bond-sony-mgm-eon-productions.html

So it looks like Amy Pascal keeps on talking and now the Sonyverse is in the "same reality" as the MCU:

http://fandom.wikia.com/articles/ex...-movies-happen-in-the-same-reality-as-the-mcu

Pascal says, “First, there is Spider-Man happily in the place where he’s supposed to be which is in the Marvel Universe. I think everything comes from that. This is the signpost, the tentpole, the signature and… the other movies that Sony’s going to make, in their relationship to this [MCU] Spider-Man, take place in this [separate Sony] world. Although you’re not going to see them in the Marvel Universe, it’s in the same reality

Kevin Feige backs Pascal’s comments, saying her response is “the perfect answer”.

...and Feige agrees.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Seems like Feige is walking a fine, fuzzy line because he wants Sony to be happy and knows hardcore fans understand the difference.

Busty

Banned
Here's a quote from Amy Pascal when asked about Venom and Spider-Man appearing together on screen at some point.

“Venom is a character that is closely associated with Spidey and there may be some day where you see them together, you never know”.

http://heroichollywood.com/amy-pascal-venom-ruben-fleischer/

I'm telling you now, once Spider-Man's deal with Marvel Studios is done (after Homecoming 2) he's moving straight into Silver Sable country, they aren't even trying to hide the fact at this point.

Make your peace with it now.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Here's a quote from Amy Pascal when asked about Venom and Spider-Man appearing together on screen at some point.

I'm telling you now, once Spider-Man's deal with Marvel Studios is done (after Homecoming 2) he's moving straight into Silver Sable country, they aren't even trying to hide the fact at this point.

This is such a mistake. Like... Wait. Just 3-5 years and let this shit get set up properly.

DOWN

Banned
So MCU spidey is in both universes, but the Sony universe will be standalone from the MCU?

Can someone tell me if I have that correct?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

oh yeah, peace made

it makes no difference - 2 solo movies & 3 team ups in the MCU is a gift

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I swear they're just playing coy until D23 or ComicCon as to not take any media away from Homecoming. They want the full marketing and buzz to be around the new movie first and foremost, but will answer everything clearly in like 3 weeks.

SpaceWolf

Banned
So MCU spidey is in both universes, but the Sony universe will be standalone from the MCU?

Can someone tell me if I have that correct?

Here's how it'll probably be...

There's two universes, right?

MCU Universe: Tom Holland Spidey Prime is swinging around, trying to join the Avengers, hanging around with Tony Stark, etc etc. In this universe, all the MCU characters exist.

Sony Universe: Tom Holland Spidey Beta is swinging around (a Spider-Man who happens to look like Spidey Prime), Venom is eating people, Black Cat and Silver Sable are also doing things of cinematic interest. In this universe, no MCU characters exist.

So two different worlds who each have a seperate Spider-Man, albiet ones that look identical.

DOWN

Banned
Feige already said yesterday, no Spider-Man in Venom. It's a pipe dream for Sony that won't happen.
Wait... now Spider Man can't appear in Sony's Spider-Man universe?
Here's how it'll probably be...

There's two universes, right?

MCU Universe: Tom Holland Spidey Prime is swinging around, trying to join the Avengers, hanging around with Tony Stark, etc etc. In this universe, all the MCU characters exist.

Sony Universe: Tom Holland Spidey Beta is swinging around (a Spider-Man who happens to look like Spidey Prime), Venom is eating people, Black Cat and Silver Sable are also doing things of cinematic interest. In this universe, no MCU characters exist.
But how does this work if Feige is sayin Spidey won't be in Sony's movies?

Blader

I swear they're just playing coy until D23 or ComicCon as to not take any media away from Homecoming. They want the full marketing and buzz to be around the new movie first and foremost, but will answer everything clearly in like 3 weeks.

I don't think there is a clearer answer to it than Pascal/Sony wanting to let their spin offs ride off of the MCU, Feige not wanting anything he's not involved in to be a part of the MCU, and fumbling for a diplomatic way to hold both of those conflicting views in public.

DOWN

Banned
I don't think there is a clearer answer to it than Pascal/Sony wanting to let their spin offs ride off of the MCU, Feige not wanting anything he's not involved in to be a part of the MCU, and fumbling for a diplomatic way to hold both of those conflicting views in public.
Yeah I think we know this is the base problem, but Sony has the upper hand on the rights here, so I'm trying to understand if Sony gets to have Spider Man Tom Holland in their universe or not.

My logical guess is yes, but it will be stories that never bring up the MCU characters and solely are about Spidey vs Villains...

But some here are saying that Feige says Sony ain't getting Spidey?

Wait... now Spider Man can't appear in Sony's Spider-Man universe?

Because Tom Holland is not a robot and can't appear in every single thing Sony wants to do with this property. They want to build an entire cinematic universe around a single character and they can't have him in this movies if they're still working with Marvel Studios for the MCU movies.

He's signed for set number of films which will be his MCU appearances. If they decide to keep him on and sign him up for more films, you bet your ass they will be more MCU movies and not these half-assed uninspired spinoffs, because the MCU movies will be the ones making serious bank. at that point there's little Sony can do other than recognize they CAN'T do a Spider-Man universe on their own and that they need Marvel to keep Spider-Man profitable for them.

I'm not saying it's Feige's call, but they have to make the smart business decision when it comes to signing Holland for more movies. We already know what that will be.

I find it kind of funny that so many people are acting obtuse to what the obvious move here is. Pull Tom Holland's Peter-Spidey into Sony's Spiderverse while having his original existence in the MCU inspire someone else to take up the mantle after he's gone. Enter Miles-Spidey into the MCU.

It's a win/win for everyone except the people who blindly demand that movie Spiderman always be Peter.

Sony gets a running start on their universe and they get an established Peter-Spidey. Marvel Studios gets Peter to start with before moving to Miles with a natural inspirational origin. You get the benefit of choosing to pull from the Miles-stepping-into-big-shoes stories from the books or not and without being constricted to the same old same old relationship dynamics (romantic, friendship, rivals, whatever).

DOWN

Banned
Because Tom Holland is not a robot and can't appear in every single thing Sony wants to do with this property. They want to build an entire cinematic universe around a single character and they can't have him in this movies if they're still working with Marvel Studios for the MCU movies.

He's signed for set number of films which will be his MCU appearances. If they decide to keep him on and sign him up for more films, you bet your ass they will be more MCU movies and not these half-assed uninspired spinoffs, because the MCU movies will be the ones making serious bank. at that point there's little Sony can do other than recognize they CAN'T do a Spider-Man universe on their own and that they need Marvel to keep Spider-Man profitable for them.

I'm not saying it's Feige's call, but they have to make the smart business decision when it comes to signing Holland for more movies. We already know what that will be.
Eh, this is a bit illogical. Spider Man wasn't bombing in Sony's hands in the first place, but it just wasn't taking off like MCU

But I gotta imagine you're wrong that Sony can't negotiate films without Holland in his schedule... if Sony wants to, they can make these standalone universe films starring Tom Holland. That's what seems to be the truth.

And do remember that the Stars of the MCU have made many non-MCU films during the course of the MCU rev up post-Avengers.

So scheduling isn't a good answer for Sony as to why they shouldn't bother. At worst, Sony decides they will pursue Holland only after he completes his MCU arcs. But it seems likely they will sign him on to pull into their Spidey only movies soon.

SpaceWolf

Banned

Amy Pascal's most recent quote (featured on this page) implies he could appear. And even if Spider-Man doesn't make a physical appearence, his existence could well be hinted at.

I don't know, man. It's a logistical nightmare.

Katori

I find it kind of funny that so many people are acting obtuse to what the obvious move here is. Pull Tom Holland's Peter-Spidey into Sony's Spiderverse while having his original existence in the MCU inspire someone else to take up the mantle after he's gone. Enter Miles-Spidey into the MCU.

It's a win/win for everyone except the people who blindly demand that movie Spiderman always be Peter.

Sony gets a running start on their universe and they get an established Peter-Spidey. Marvel Studios gets Peter to start with before moving to Miles with a natural inspirational origin. You get the benefit of choosing to pull from the Miles-stepping-into-big-shoes stories from the books or not and without being constricted to the same old same old relationship dynamics (romantic, friendship, rivals, whatever).

Sony's rights include Miles, unfortunately.

“Venom is a character that is closely associated with Spidey and there may be some day where you see them together, you never know”.

Now, let's change this quote a little bit:

“ The Joker is a character that is closely associated with Batman and there may be some day where you see them together, you never know”.

Yeah, this is just absurd.
Which is not to say that they can't make a good Venom stand-alone movie, but this whole thing is going to be such a mess.

DOWN

Banned
Amy Pascal's most recent quote (featured on this page) implies he could appear. And even if Spider-Man doesn't make a physical appearence, his existence could well be hinted at.

I don't know, man. It's a logistical nightmare.
I don't think Sony has any intention of making a Spider Man universe where MCU Spider-Man doesn't appear. I think the entire point of Sony's move is to ride the success of the MCU.

Sony's goal is likely: Book Tom Holland to appear as Spider-Man in between his MCU shoots, creating a series of films akin to Sony's previous Spider Man films where only Spidey and his typical villains are the focus. No need to mention the MCU, despite making sure it is the same actor/Spidey by association.
Now, let's change this quote a little bit:

Yeah, this is just absurd.
Which is not to say that they can't make a good Venom stand-alone movie, but this whole thing is going to be such a mess.
wait oh my god

Glass Rebel

I'll start getting worried about Venom when I hear that it's gone into production. Right now I'm treating it the same as that Sinister Six movie.

tumblr_nahc8ltZjF1rk8513o1_400.gif

GET EM OUTTA HERE

Kill this abortion of a franchise like Sinister Six

Sony/Pascal need to be going to Jeph Loeb if they want to be in the "MCU", Feige obviously doesn't want the movie MCU connected but I'm sure they could come to a mutually beneficial partnership with the TV division.

Sony's rights include Miles, unfortunately.

I don't see how that conflicts with what I'm saying. Both Marvel Studios and Sony would have had to make concessions with each other for this to work. There's no way Sony's giving up Peter Parker. So having Marvel Studios help start their Peter in exchange for Marvel Studios getting to use Miles in their MCU seems like the obvious play here.

Sony gets Peter and a jumpstart to their universe. They still get production credits on any Miles stuff in the MCU. Marvel Studios get a Spiderman and they have zero problems so far introducing lesser known characters, so making Miles good shouldn't be a problem for them.

It's seriously a situation where all entities win.

Blader

Yeah I think we know this is the base problem, but Sony has the upper hand on the rights here, so I'm trying to understand if Sony gets to have Spider Man Tom Holland in their universe or not.

My logical guess is yes, but it will be stories that never bring up the MCU characters and solely are about Spidey vs Villains...

But some here are saying that Feige says Sony ain't getting Spidey?

Tom Holland is signed for six movies, with five of those six already spoken for (Civil War, Homecoming, Infinity War, Avengers 4, Homecoming 2). Assuming that contract doesn't stipulate that Marvel needs to also give permission on any movie Holland appears in, Sony certainly could put him in a Venom movie if that's their right...but why would they burn an appearance on a spinoff? And then be forced into expensive renegotiations just to get him on board for a third solo movie that they would otherwise already have him committed to?

All Feige said was that Spider-Man won't be in the Venom movie, not that Sony can never use him in one of their movies. That might be the case -- I don't think any of us knows what that part of the deal is -- but even if it were, I can't see it as anything but a waste on Sony's part. Especially when the whole point of a spinoff is to build up peripheral characters that can exist independently of the main franchise.

I don't see how that conflicts with what I'm saying. Both Marvel Studios and Sony would have had to make concessions with each other for this to work. There's no way Sony's giving up Peter Parker. So having Marvel Studios help start their Peter in exchange for Marvel Studios getting to use Miles in their MCU seems like the obvious play here.

Sony gets Peter and a jumpstart to their universe. They still get production credits on any Miles stuff in the MCU. Marvel Studios get a Spiderman and they have zero problems so far introducing lesser known characters, so making Miles good shouldn't be a problem for them.

It's seriously a situation where all entities win.

Sony is already getting a jump on Miles with the animated movie.

DOWN

Banned
Tom Holland is signed for six movies, with five of those six already spoken for (Civil War, Homecoming, Infinity War, Avengers 4, Homecoming 2). Assuming that contract doesn't stipulate that Marvel needs to also give permission on any movie Holland appears in, Sony certainly could put him in a Venom movie if that's their right...but why would they burn an appearance on a spinoff? And then be forced into expensive renegotiations just to get him on board for a third solo movie that they would otherwise already have him committed to?

All Feige said was that Spider-Man won't be in the Venom movie, not that Sony can never use him in one of their movies. That might be the case -- I don't think any of us knows what that part of the deal is -- but even if it were, I can't see it as anything but a waste on Sony's part. Especially when the whole point of a spinoff is to build up peripheral characters that can exist independently of the main franchise.

Sony using Holland for a movie doesn't burn one of the six he's signed for at Marvel Studios. Sony would need a new contract for him on their own and Holland will have 6 MCU appearances no matter what.

That doesn't conflict with what I'm saying either. Animated is always completely separate.

Marvel Studios doesn't need complete and total ownership of every iteration of the character in order to benefit from the character appearing. Spiderman is the one character that isn't in the MCU already that can effectively be brought in without a ton of baggage. If that means Miles, it's still worth it.

Deepwater

This is perfect (at the very least optimal/ideal). They both technically exist in the same universe but they won't acknowledge each other.

TBH you could call the Netflix shows a separate universe considering how often they interact with the movies

Rosstimus

Banned
It sucks that this basically means characters like Black Cat ,Venom, and whoever Sony chooses to develop in the future can never appear in a MCU film. Unless Marvel develops separate versions of those characters for their movies, but that seems unlikely.

Top Bottom