• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Trump admin sought to block Sally Yates from testifying to Congress on Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone seen the Spicer press on how he made the analogy that if Trump had a salad with Russia salad dressing thar it would automatically make it a collision with Russia?
I mean, yeah, since he'll have gotten that dressing from the Russian official he's talking to while foisting over US sovereignty.

ohkay

Thought he was partial to taco salad... at least on cinco de mayo (he loves the Mexicans)

ChtuyP0VEAQZlY1.jpg
I see he's got a pile of fake news under that salad too

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump

Why doesn't Fake News talk about Podesta ties to Russia as covered by @FoxNews or money from Russia to Clinton - sale of Uranium?

What channel is Fake News on?

GetLucky

Why doesn't Fake News talk about Podesta ties to Russia as covered by @FoxNews or money from Russia to Clinton - sale of Uranium?

Lol, maybe because she's currently a private citizen with minimal influence. You're the damn president!

Fake News reporting on Podesta would then make it fake hence why the don't report it so that way it stays real.

wow spicer is one petty ass prick. what a bitch

his russian salad dressing "joke" was so pathetic. and the way he interrupts and talks over people is so immature compared to obama's press sec. jesus christ

Also, while I can't speak on the Podesta thing, the Clinton uranium story is a debunked conspiracy theory.

As far as I know it was literally a non-story. Clinton signed off on behalf of the State Department on a deal that transferred Uranium, which had already been approved by like 10 other Government Agencies. Clinton didn't craft the deal, she didn't negotiate the deal, she simply had to sign off on it because the transfer had to go through the State Department--which she was head of.

EDIT: I was a bit off. Politifact has it covered;

In 2010, Hillary Clinton, as secretary of state, was one of nine federal agency heads to sign off on Russia's purchase of a controlling stake in Uranium One, an international mining company headquartered in Canada with operations in several U.S. states. It was part of a regular process for approving international deals involving strategic assets, such as uranium, that could have implications for national security. Uranium One's U.S. mines produced about 11 percent of the country's total uranium production in 2014, according to Oilprice.com.

But even with its control of Uranium One, Russia cannot export the material from the United States. Russia was likely more interested in Uranium One's assets in Kazakhstan, the world's largest uranium producer.

chadskin

CNN panel (Borger, Lizza et al.) flatly calling Nunes a tool of the White House in an attempt to overshadow Comey's testimony.

rjinaz

It's all bullshit.

The Podesta thing is about a Russian who sat alongside him on a board for an American company.

It's amazing how that little BS is enough for them to prove in their minds those two are compromised.

But, every single day it seems there is some new connection between Trump administration and Russia and it's always just liberal conspiracies that are dismissed. We getting close to 100 reports yet? FAKE NEWS!

Their heads must hurt from the work their minds put in for their cognitive dissonance.

My fear is a Reichstag fire.

A situation like that is a lot more worrisome than simply starting a war. It would be uncharted waters at that point, but I still don't really think Trump and co. would completely be able to take control in an event of this nature considering the amount of enemies he's made in such a short time and how divisive he's been, both intentionally and unintentionally.

I think a lot will depend on where the military as a whole stands with Trump's administration. I know most people think of the military as Pro-Trump, but I know someone posted something not too long ago an article about how the top brass of the military wasn't as on board with Trump as many think. But it's obviously not coincidental he's wanting to pour as much money into the military as possible.

I do know, and there is no front. My position is more nuanced than you make it out to be.

Sure, sure.

Chumley

Banned
If Trump weren't so incompetent I'd say a Reichstag were imminent and that we're well and truly fucked. But simply based on his inability to get his shit together I'd say the chances are low. Still a possibility though.

Are you interested in discussing the topic, or would you rather make intellectually dismissive remarks that get you minus points in debate class?

I am discussing the topic, as you can see from the wall of text you cut from that quote you posted. As far as this goes, I mean, whatever. We both know what you've posted about this subject multiple times in the past, so I'm not going to get into it with you. If you've finally come around, that's good.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I am discussing the topic, as you can see from the wall of text you cut from that quote you posted.
That doesn't pertain to the initial snarky comment at all, and you were addressing it to someone else.

We both know what you've posted about this subject multiple times in the past, so I'm not going to get into it with you.
As you wish.

If you've finally come around, that's good.
Come around? My position hasn't changed significantly. If you think it has, you might be imagining what you think my position is.

Jonsoncao

Banned
So I read on reddit that WaPo posted the story first, lured the WH to deny it. Apparently WH dumb enough and took the bait, then WaPo dropped the bomba of those scanned letters.

Can someone either confirm or debunk this timeline for me? Reddit comment got buried down too fast.

So I read on reddit that WaPo posted the story first, lured the WH to deny it. Apparently WH dumb enough and took the bait, then WaPo dropped the bomba of those scanned letters.

Can someone either confirm or debunk this timeline for me? Reddit comment got buried down too fast.

Sean Spicer said "the letter said if we dont reply by 27 we will asume we dont need your approval", which it did.

Therefore the WH narrative is that because they ignored the letter, they therefore gave permission.

Rep. Charlie Dent appears to be a representative that had a major run in with Trump about Tax reform and he considers himself "center right" which in this day and age means just left of fascism, so Trump is turning House members against him with his hissy fit negotiation style he's been using with GOP congressmen.

Apparently Trump told Dent that he is ruining the GOP and if tax reform fails he will be blaming Dent personally. He's essentially using his twitter account as a weapon against GOP congressmen that don't accept his terms.

Not true. WaPo posted their original story with all the scanned letters on their website.

KoopaTheCasual

Nah, not that cut and dry. The story is that Yates and her attorney sent letters to the DoJ, who effectively deferred to the White House's decision. Yates' team sends a follow up to the White House saying basically, "look, I reached out to the DoJ and they told me to reach out to you regarding me testifying. Please give me the ok. If I don't hear back by Monday morning, I will assume I have the ok."

Suddenly Nunes cancels the very meeting where Yates asked the White House to testify. The point of contention is that people (logically) are assuming that instead of the White House outright blocking Yates from testifying (that would look SO bad), they asked Nunes to cancel the meeting. White House claims to have no communication with Nunes about the cancellation, but when Nunes was asked numerous times if the White House asked him to cancel the meeting, he never said no and kept deflecting.

So not a good "gotcha" moment, but just another instance where the Trump administration and GOP leadership are looking suspect as hell, in their actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom