• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Fall TV shows will you be watching? - 2014 Ver. + A Look at the New Fall Shows

Status
Not open for further replies.
- THR: Starz to Preview Entire Season of 'The Missing' Early
After offering early previews of Survivor's Remorse and Outlander, Starz is employing a similar strategy for eight-episode limited series The Missing — but for the entire season.

Instead of sneak peeking the first episode one week before the Saturday, Nov. 15 at 9 p.m. TV premiere, Starz is giving subscribers the choice to watch each new episodes a week ahead of their intended airings via On Demand and Starz Play app. In the case of the final two hours, episodes seven and eight, they will be available two weeks prior to their January 2015 airdates.

Starting Nov. 8, the first episode will be free for multiplatform sampling across Starz's various online destinations, including Starz.com, Starz's YouTube page, On Demand and Starz Play, along with cable, satellite and Telco affiliates in the U.S.

Dates & times when the CW shows are finishing up their Fall runs and breaking until the new year:
“The Originals” – December 8 at 8:00 p.m.
“The Flash” – December 9, 8:00 p.m.
“Supernatural” – December 9, 9:00 p.m.
“Arrow” – December 10, 8:00 p.m.
“The Vampire Diaries” – December 11, 8:00 p.m.
“Reign” – December 11, 9:00 p.m.
“Jane the Virgin” – December 15, 9:00 p.m.
“The 100” – December 17, 9:00 p.m.

tariniel

Right now the only things I'm watching are Flash and Arrow, which so far are pretty OK. I really don't know what else to watch though.

TheOddOne

- Deadline: ‘Girls’, ‘Togetherness’ & ‘Looking’ Premiere Dates Set On HBO
HBO has set back-to-back January premieres for the return of comedies Girls and Looking and new series Togetherness. Lena Dunham’s Girls will kick it off at 9 PM on Sunday, January 11 when it returns for its 10-episode fourth season. It will lead in to new comedy Togetherness at 9:30 PM. The eight-episode series from brothers Jay and Mark Duplass follows two couples living under one roof on the fringes of Los Angeles. And Looking‘s 10-episode second season debut follows at 10 PM. Created by Michael Lannan and executive produced by Andrew Haigh and Sarah Condon, the show revolves around three friends in San Francisco who explore the varied options available to a new generation of gay men. Jonathan Groff, Frankie J. Alvarez and Murray Bartlett star.

Doombear

Did anyone watch The Game last night? I taped it.

Watching it right now, literally. I had seen ads for it but forgot all about it and never looked into it much. Seeing Greg from Misfits (Shaun Dooley) has made my morning. Jonathan Aris too. Of course Brian Cox is a passable actor too I guess.

Jokes. I am pretty excited to see where the series goes. I am halfway in to the first episode, a bit of a slow burn start which was entirely expected. I think I am going to love it.

Watching it right now, literally. I had seen ads for it but forgot all about it and never looked into it much. Seeing Greg from Misfits (Shaun Dooley) has made my morning. Jonathan Aris too. Of course Brian Cox is a passable actor too I guess.

Jokes. I am pretty excited to see where the series goes. I am halfway in to the first episode, a bit of a slow burn start which was entirely expected. I think I am going to love it.
Cool, thanks for the mini-review. I'll dig into it when I have some time.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I guess, but that's a pretty inconsequential lineup from HBO.

They really should have a drama to anchor their first quarter. Three low rated comedies (even though Girls gets like 5-6 million viewers via HBO Go) don't make for a very exciting lineup, that's for sure.

DagsJT

Just finished watching "The Game" and I thought it was pretty good. VERY slow (my wife has said she won't watch anymore as it was way too slow for her) but intriguing enough to want to know what's going on.

Doombear

Just finished watching "The Game" and I thought it was pretty good. VERY slow (my wife has said she won't watch anymore as it was way too slow for her) but intriguing enough to want to know what's going on.

That is how the first episode left me as well. I am not going anywhere just yet. I need to know more!

Also: Is anyone else 100% in love with Over the Garden Wall like I am? It is phenomenal. So so so great. I am going to be very upset when it ends tomorrow night. I wonder if it will ever be released on physical media. I want to own the shit out of it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Also: Is anyone else 100% in love with Over the Garden Wall like I am? It is phenomenal. So so so great. I am going to be very upset when it ends tomorrow night. I wonder if it will ever be released on physical media. I want to own the shit out of it.

Very well crafted. I think it scratches the same itch as Adventure Time -- surreal fairy tale -- while changing the tone just a little bit to be more grim (or even grimm), more adult, darker, more folksy. The plot is pretty meaty, the episode-to-episode designs and themes are great. Elijah Wood's performance is very good, as it usually is, playing a nervous sad sack. Colin Dean as Greg is phenomenal, and brings that great kind of orthogonal thinking madness that enthusiastic children always have. The running gag with the frog's name is wonderful. And the way new characters stick around for an episode or two is great, a real "merry band of brothers adventuring" feel. Very cohesive as well. The singing and musical elements are great too, because they're not too catchy and just creepy-weird enough for the whole thing to have a vaguely unsettling tone. Really really great achievement.

I'm not sure if CN is planning on doing another season, but the people involved should be very proud and I hope they get the opportunity to tell other stories later.

There's very little chance this won't make my top 10 this year.

DagsJT

I've not heard of Over The Garden Wall so I'll have to check it out. I keep meaning to check out Adventure Time too.

Doombear

Very well crafted. I think it scratches the same itch as Adventure Time -- surreal fairy tale -- while changing the tone just a little bit to be more grim (or even grimm), more adult, darker, more folksy.

I agree with this and every other thing you said about this wonderful, wonderful show. I watched it with my wife and our daughter and it was such a great week. This is one of those shows I want to watch with them every single year around Halloween. It was so well done. The songs, the talent, the interconnected characters, the tales and the way it all came full circle in the end. I loved every last bit of it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Worricker: Turks & Caicos - PBS - 9/8c

The Newsroom - HBO - 9/8c

The Comeback - HBO - 10/9c

Getting On - HBO - 10:30/9:30c

- EW: DirecTV set to air Jon Hamm-led 'Black Mirror' special in U.S.
EW can exclusively reveal that The Audience Network will be airing Channel 4’s Black Mirror Christmas special, Black Mirror: White Christmas. The 90-minute special will debut on Audience at 9:30 p.m. ET on Dec. 25.

Hamm is joined by Rafe Spall and Oona Chaplin for the special. Black Mirror‘s Yuletide episode will tell three interconnected stories focusing on Christmastime technology-based paranoia.

Hamm’s character will appear in all three of the stories to serve as a bridge for what will surely be one of the darker holiday specials airing that evening. For more on the episode, read about Channel 4’s initial announcement of the Christmas special.

Deadline said:
While the second season of Gillian Anderson’s UK crime drama The Fall debuts tonight at 9PM on BBC Two in the UK, Stateside and Latin American viewers will have to wait two more months to see the psychological thriller’s return. Netflix, which is currently streaming the first season of The Fall, will premiere the next six-episode installment beginning at 12.:01 AM PT on January 16. Co-starring Fifty Shades Of Grey‘s Jamie Dornan, the series’ first go-round was BBC Two’s highest rated drama in a decade. Created by Allan Cubitt, The Fall focuses on a game of cat and mouse between Anderson’s Stella Gibson, a highly driven detective, and Paul Spector, the sexually motivated serial killer she’s tracking in Belfast. The Good Wife‘s Archie Panjabi also stars. The Fall is produced by Gub Neal and Julian Stevens and executive produced by Cubitt, Justin Thompson-Glover, Patrick Irwin and Anderson. It is a Fables Production in association with Artists Studios for the BBC with support from Northern Ireland Screen.

Doombear

Thanks Cornballer! It is up on Xfinity On Demand. Snow Day here today so watching it should cheer me right up! Right? No? Oh.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Also tonight:

Worricker: Salting the Battlefield - PBS - 9/8c

Vert boil

Is there no OT for family guy?
(just used the search function, and couldn't find one)

The Animation Domination thread covered Family Guy but that isn't a thing any more. There isn't an appropriate thread currently.
meg0oxws.gif

Doombear

Very good reviews for The Missing so far, though I don't think I have much room in my schedule for another heavy, depressing drama.

If I have a limit to how many depressing shows I can fit in then I haven't hit it yet. I just have to toss a Benched in there every so often to clear the palate. Really liked the first episode, about to watch the 2nd in a few minutes. Its rough, especially with a young human of my own... rough.

Wes

venison crêpe
It's been that good?

There's not one new or returning show currently airing either side of the pond that I would rather watch over it right now.

I'm not saying it's the best thing since sliced bread but it is functionally excellent at what it's trying to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom