• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ T

Banned
What if My Hero Academia gets an anime-ending!

WHAT IF MOB PSYCHO 100 GETS AN ANIME-ENDING!

D: D: D:

now i might cry at the thought

Well for adaptations you can only get the "go read the original work" ending or the "anime-original" ending. So pick your poison aha. Personally I'm with Nintendoman ^ Iread manga very sporadically, but usually it's because I liked a show a lot and want to see more of it. Rokka is something I'm very tempted to read still. Grimgar a bit too.

Nightii

Banned
This last page, man, the self-awareness...
JRtMhQDTx9FJmhJxLE8RjSWnd6WcQaJa4bXBqgxb8XGAGGzPxwMjmPR7EpA_7PoIGG2SiNRI=w512-h288-nc

duckroll

BONES anime original endings are the best though. Usually better than whatever thesource materials come up with.

FMA > FMAB
Noragami > Noragami S2

sonicmj1

Calling it 'sexist pandering' reeks of sex negativity and is a rather regressive perspective considering Grimgar actually has some fairly fleshed out characters. Fanservice is dumb, sure, but it doesn't detract from the story itself.

The thing about most fanservice, though, is that it has no relation to sex.

Like, if I'm watching/reading Game of Thrones, there's plenty of sex stuff going on, some of which is gross, but at least it happens at times that make sense. Of course sexy things happen in a scene at a whorehouse or a strip club, or when two characters are engaged in the act. Sexy displays of the female body are connected to actual sexual intimacy.

Most anime fanservice, including Grimgar (and don't tell me you haven't noticed the show's obsession with Yume's legs), has a voyeuristic quality to it instead. Female characters may just be having a conversation or going about their business, but the camera and/or their costumes are busy showing off how sexy they are. And the vast majority of the characters in these shows will never come within a million miles of actually getting intimate with another character. It's just showing off attractive female bodies for its own sake.

Enjoy fanservice or not, it doesn't matter to me. But disliking it can't really be sex negative, because the two things don't correlate.

Gundam SEED 1

Can't really say anything much. I've heard a lot about how SEED is supposed to be a "modernized 0079", but I didn't expect the parallels to match up so well. Coming straight off 00, I guess I'm just not in the mood for another mecha straight away, so I'll probably put it on hold for now.

lvgV5PE.gif

Y'all need some Hyouka in your lives!!! Let its pureness heal your souls and forgive your sins.

That reminds me, I really do need to start watching this. I only remember being put off by the first few episodes because MC reminded me of the "apathetic genius" archetype which I'm not particularly fond of, especially in an MC.

Cornbread78

Yeah but that doesn't exactly change the fact that they're not exactly considered to be stellar shows around here. Despite the fact that I'm not as hard on KEY as many others are around here, it's not exactly a show I'd recommend. .

I'll concede on Comet Lucifer as I had issues with it myself, however, it was safe ans may be something he likes. However, Angel Beats is another story. It certainly had pacing issues and a couple other quirks to it that many dislike, but it was a really good show overall and well liked outside of GAF. Shows like SAO and "keyshit" tend to get marginalized and shit on a lot in here, but are much more respected and appreciated in other communities, it is what it is everyone is different and has their own opinion. I mean, look at Clannad; internationally it is considered one of the greatest/best ever made animes, but there are only a small handful of folks here that like it. Oh well, I'll just waive the banner and be me, lol.

Haikyuu S2 22

I'm so happy for Yamaguchi. *sniff*

But man, this was the best episode in a while, if not the best episode this season. The storyboarding, direction, animation, art, music - everything was so on point. Yamaguchi's emotions were palpable, and the tension during the final battle of the set was so thick you could cut it with a knife. Masayuki Miyaji put in that work!

rrvv

Treat every anime is original. No need for to get attached on idea of everything have to be adapted 100%

Russ T

Banned
That reminds me, I really do need to start watching this. I only remember being put off by the first few episodes because MC reminded me of the "apathetic genius" archetype which I'm not particularly fond of, especially in an MC.

Admittedly, that describes the MC to the T.

But man I loved it. So much. And I was so disappointed when I got to the end and realized there wasn't more. ):

I might rewatch Hyouka!

But man I loved it. So much. And I was so disappointed when I got to the end and realized there wasn't more. ):

I might rewatch Hyouka!

But that's what made Houtarou, Houtarou. It may be an archetype sure, but it was well executed and it worked well to set up some great character interactions and progression.

Also I keep saying this ad nauseum too, that I am going to rewatch it but still haven't. I REALLY want to watch it, but I don't want to do it during a busy time at school, nor do I want any distractions. This is my old wine, stored deep in my cellar. It's aging and only getting better with time. I'm only gonna open this bottle again when I really feel the occasion is right.

I dunno how Grimgar consistently is the most discussed thing in here.

Just means for better or worse, people are watching it. Discussions are fun.

Now that I've watched gate I'm ready to discuss just how hilariously disgusting the Japanese military propaganda is. That seems like a worthwhile discussion.

The issue is we need someone on the opposing side to continue the debate.

The Japanese know it all, after all even Obama contacted them for advice:
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

All hail glorious Nippon.

We don't talk about Soul Eater around here. Especially Soul Eater Not. :(

I'll remember and love Soul Eater forever, even its anime ending. It introduced me to seasonal/weekly anime viewing. God damn that show was amazing.

Majin Bone - 42

I'm glad that Shougo isn't going to be the only one getting the Rare Metal powerups. Bring on Rare Metal Leo, Shark, Jaguar, and Panther (though this one might be hard since she's not even Iron yet)!

Man, I can't believe I only have 10 episodes of this show left. It's been a long time since I've started and finished a 50+ episode show this quickly.

But that's what made Houtarou, Houtarou. It may be an archetype sure, but it was well executed and it worked well to set up some great character interactions and progression.

I guess I'll just have to hope the execution works out well for me then. Or maybe the side characters make up for it.

Cornbread78

I dunno how Grimgar consistently is the most discussed thing in here.

Like was said, it's a very divisive anime for better or for worse and it's not very consistent in its approach, so there's no telling what you are gonna get. Well, outside of the Mikoto/MC/incoming harem stuff, but ya know, LN and all..

It's an interesting show.

Poor Kiritobread. Don't worry, at least I finished and at least liked Kanon and Clannad a good amount.
BONES is Buh buh buh buh buh buh buh BAD!

Yay! Kanon, Clannad, Air, and Angel Beats were all pretty good.

Now that I've watched gate I'm ready to discuss just how hilariously disgusting the Japanese military propaganda is. That seems like a worthwhile discussion.
The issue is we need someone on the opposing side to continue the debate.

Yeah, good luck with that, lol. At least we all knew it was pretty nationalistic going in, so I just ignore it, but yeah, good luck finding someone to play devils advocate on that one...

Hamst3r

DBZ - 155 - I know it's one of the things DBZ is notorious for, but it's still funny to me just how many episodes things take to get done. It's like every thing that has to happen takes about as long as the Trost arc in Attack on Titan. Hurry, we only have 9 episodes! It's all good though, just gotta stay patient and let it do what it does. Vegeta is out of the Time Chamber and has arrived at Cell's location.

Fate/Stay Night UBW - Season 2 - Got around to finishing this too, and I'm left lukewarm on the series overall. I didn't find it very exciting. It was good. Beautiful. Watchable. But it never got really engrossing. It never pushed my buttons.

As for as non-anime things go, House of Cards season 4 was good. It feels like everything is going to go to hell in the next season and I really hope it does. It doesn't need any more than one more season, the zit is ready to pop now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom