• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

Jojo episode 1

the only thing I know about this show is that it should be a bizarre adventure.
5 seconds in and I see a body with a wooden spike coming out it's mouth clearly inserted from the other side. Thus I think I can safely assume this will be mature lol.

so initial thoughts on the dub. The male voices are fine, the female voices not so much, but they seem to be very small parts. I mean heck the first female voice I thought I was watching venture bros for a moment because it sounded like a guy trying to be a girl >.<;

the action in the episode is a little odd in the way it's done, the first bit I saw was barely animated, but the boxing scene made it a lot more clear how it is going to go, with over the topness letters added to a swing. The boxing wasn't done poorly, but it wasn't Ippo quality :p.

I will say with the blonde girl showing up again her voice doesn't seem as bad. likely a case

The whole Dio thing feels very over the top and forced so far and this is moving quickly, but I imagine it's all going quickly in order to get the the Bizarre adventure. overall not minding this though, I figure the writing will get better after the time jump. I did enjoy Yes' Roundabout as the ending song though.

I will always remember the Excalibur episode and the meltdowns online as a result.

3IkCS2h.gif

50... episodes...

And a shitty ending :(
to be fair after reading the manga, it wasn't that great there either lol.

zulux21

We don't talk about Soul Eater around here. Especially Soul Eater Not. :(

but soul eater is a good show :/ not the best ever but still a good one. (it shouldn't be a surprise that I am a fan of the show though given my avatar lol)

soul eater not...
I couldn't get through >.<

Russ T

Banned
Now that I've watched gate I'm ready to discuss just how hilariously disgusting the Japanese military propaganda is. That seems like a worthwhile discussion.

The issue is we need someone on the opposing side to continue the debate.

Well PERSONALLY I'd say it's more disgustingly hilarious than it is hilariously disgusting, but what do I know.

EDIT: I loved Soul Eater at the time I watched it. D:

Moaradin

Soul Eater is great. It was the first time I sought out a manga because I enjoyed it so much. I want a Soul Eater: Brotherhood so bad...

The manga ending isn't the greatest, but there's still plenty of fun stuff the anime never adapted.

Soul Eater is great. It was the first time I sought out a manga because I enjoyed it so much. I want a Soul Eater: Brotherhood so bad...

The manga ending isn't the greatest, but there's still plenty of fun stuff the anime never adapted.

More than plenty yeah. The manga ran for quite a while, and it had some pretty cool moments that would be great animated. It's never going to happen though.

Didn't really like a lot of the Soul Eater manga that wasn't adapted. The Book of Eibon arc is pretty cool and the Simple Story About Killing A Person chapter is awesome.

Moaradin

The manga had the Arachne arc which was the best arc in the series (I don't consider whatever the anime did the same thing. It was completely different) and the Eibon arc is a lot of fun. And yeah that single chapter is fucking awesome. Don't even need to look it up to know what you're talking about.

zulux21

jojo 2

That Cat it was eating a puppy!.

Try it then. the moment you pull my foot will kick out at your groin with all the force of a sledgehammer.

I am starting to feel like when I was watching Yu Yu Hakusho that I am going to have to keep tabs of the one liners :p.

the second half had some nice battles and setting up more bizarreness into the series. I am not minding this at all.

Quasar

Too many people watching it like SAO.

I resemble that remark. its one of my favourite things this season. Part of it is that it gives me massive tabletop flashbacks from when I could actually game.

I liked Log Horizon too :)

Though really my liking for this genre probably all stems from my childhood love of Guardians of the Flame, the fantasy novel series.

zulux21

jojo 3

first we have roundabout by yes as an ending.
now we have a character called Robert E-O Speedwagon
I get that Dio can also be a classic rock reference, but is jojo in some way, it doesn't ring any bells there.

also I guess after 3 episodes the series is over :p

I imagine Dio after becoming a holy diver into the guardian statue and turning into ash became a rainbow in the dark and thus how he survived for the end bit :p

Qurupeke

We're still not done with this thread?

Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that I haven't seen a BONES show that I'd consider bad, yet. I can totally see why Duckroll likes them.

Squishy3

jojo 3

first we have roundabout by yes as an ending.
now we have a character called Robert E-O Speedwagon
I get that Dio can also be a classic rock reference, but is jojo in some way, it doesn't ring any bells there.

also I guess after 3 episodes the series is over :p

I imagine Dio after becoming a holy diver into the guardian statue and turning into ash became a rainbow in the dark and thus how he survived for the end bit :p
Get Back by The Beatles, and most people assume that's why he picked JoJo.

Line_HTX

Two more pages...

Konosuba 08

Aqua is bullying Wiz the undead Lich this time around. At least Kazuma knows that they can't defeat her right now in their current levels.

They finally moved out of that deplorable stable and got a house for real. But holy shit, those ghost dolls are pure nightmare fuel. That freaked me out a lot, lol

Nice to see both Megumi and Darkness look different without their armor. They look pretty good.

zulux21

We're still not done with this thread?

Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that I haven't seen a BONES show that I'd consider bad, yet. I can totally see why Duckroll likes them.
you should go watch heroman and then come back :p or soul eater not if you really hate yourself >.> Pia Carrot e Youkoso!!: Sayaka no Koi Monogatari was apparently them and skullman and Captain Earth weren't anything special. That all being said I still look forward to most bones shows, they are gonna have a great showing next month.
Get Back by The Beatles, and most people assume that's why he picked JoJo.

Ahhhh that would be a good reason for me not to get it as I am not really a fan of The Beatles.

Squishy3

Ahhhh that would be a good reason for me not to get it as I am not really a fan of The Beatles.
Yeah, he's just a big music guy. Name most genres of music and there's probably someone named after either a prolific musician or related to them in that genre present in Jojo's.

zulux21

I thought this was supposed to be okayish.

it's not offensively bad, but it sure as hell isn't by any means good.

it's the first Bones show I down right disliked lol. The writing is horrible, through the first 5 episodes and I don't know about the rest because I didn't get that far. If you want to watch a Bones show about a mostly white alienish thing beating up crap watch the far superior Xam'd instead :p

Yeah, he's just a big music guy. Name most genres of music and there's probably someone named after either a prolific musician or related to them in that genre present in Jojo's.

I'll likely get most of the rock ones, might get some of the other ones, but not to many outside of rock.

Cornbread78

Fucking dog just woke me up in the middle of the night wtf, there goes my solid 5 hours of sleep...

Lines, watch Angel Beats..

I'm going back to bed now.

Mailbox

Watching some anime in bed is downright dangerous.

I remember watching Rosario + Vampire S1 while in bed and I had such a hard time keeping myself awake.

It could be my horrid sleep scheduling, but the repetitive nature of that show sure as hell didn't help.

Watch Air or Little Busters instead ;P

I'm gonna be completely honest when I say: Air could have been okay (in a campy sort of way) if the main character didn't
become a fucking bird and peace out of there
that and the supernatural "past" angle didn't jell well with me

zulux21

Watching some anime in bed is downright dangerous.

I remember watching Rosario + Vampire S1 while in bed and I had such a hard time keeping myself awake.

It could be my horrid sleep scheduling, but the repetitive nature of that show sure as hell didn't help.

I watch anime to go to sleep to all the time :p
currently using the newest episodes of the one piece dub to go to sleep to :p

Mailbox

I watch anime to go to sleep to all the time :p
currently using the newest episodes of the one piece dub to go to sleep to :p

I can only do it with shows I've watched a couple of times, otherwise I feel super guilty (idk why... even with the shit ones)

Usagi Drop is one that comes to mind that is a really good sleep watch. Very relaxing show.

Quasar

Not anime, but I just started watching the 'netflix original' fujitv show Good Morning Call. Pretty hilarious start, seeing girls scatter and stare as the cool boy entered the school in live action I find rather amusing. So anime.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Not anime, but I just started watching the 'netflix original' fujitv show Good Morning Show. Pretty hilarious start, seeing girls scatter and stare as the cool boy entered the school in live action I find rather amusing. So anime.

I think everybody is holding off on the reviews till the new thread arrives.

T-Rex.

Banned
This talk of studios got me thinking of my favourite one and I have to say it's Ufotable by far. Love their stuff. I can't see anyone in this thread sharing that opinion :lol but F/Z, Unlimited Blade Works, Kara no Kyoukai. Love it. Bones is 2nd though.

Also my blu ray copy of Perfect Blue finally turned up, can't wait to watch it tonight.

Sölf

Soul Eater was one of those shows I watched 4 episodes when it was current and then stopped to finally watch it when it was finished. Back then I didn't watch shows on a weekly basis. I liked Soul Eater, even the ending. And yeah, OPs and EDs were pretty great overall. Still haven't read the manga. It does it's own thing after the Mosquito fight, right?

Quasar

I have grown used to them since every show has them now.

Well already in this first episode theres scenes where subs are invisible because of brightly lit rooms.

And man...one episode in and this is so shojo its not funny. But then its adapting a shojo manga.

The World God Only Knows Season 1&2

Wow this was really funny and sweet, well realised characterisations and it plays with it's own conceit very well. Minimal fan service too which made enjoying the show a hell of a lot easier. Strangely restrained in it's use of magic and it's wider plot implications too which I really liked as it kept the focus on the characters. Despite being a harem comedy the in universe rules mean that each 'conquest' forgets about Keima afterwards allowing the show to focus on the next character without winding up in intra-harem rivalry tedium. Huge fan of the art too and Chihiros is my favourite of the story arcs but each character was well realised even if they had to fit dating game moulds.

The World God Only Knows: Goddesses
W.
T.
F.
All wrong in all of the ways. From a character focus we suddenly have plot oozing out of every damn pore, it's as if they watched late season Fate/kaleid and thought 'Hey we can do that'. Worse the first half of the episode is spent recounting ONA/OVA content not on Crunchyroll but from the synopsis I'm probably better off as that's where the magical girl stuff started and boy is it rotten. Worse the 'conquests' can now remember him so of course the idol remembers him and of course she worships him. Combined with a suspiciously young looking girl who has a far more mature goddess inside her demanding that Keima marry her and I signed off. Watched 1.2 episodes before the Flash animation quality and terrible plot killed all enthusiasm. I refuse to watch more to see characters I like warped out of all proportion both in art (the conquest flashbacks just rub salt in every time) and personality.

I hope to high heaven Goddesses was an aberration and the show returns to it's roots for Season 3 (also I want a Season 3).

But...Goddesses was the only good decent one? That they suddenly remember made for some interesting character interaction.

Meh, I never liked the video game conquest gimmick.

Quasar

Certainly it was a jarring change from a bunch of short plots to one big season long story on a bigger scale.

I didnt hate it though.

Roundly disliked the dive in art quality and plot, feeing like I'd missed everything that makes this natural didn't help. My dislike of the way their memories returned is almost entirely down to how it played out with Kanon, in season 1 her arc is completed with Keima rejecting the easy 'play as if just for me' ending and instead reinforcing her by going for the 'play for yourself' ending. I get to season 3 and all of a sudden she's back to being clingy and weak to the point of literally throwing herself at him mid-class completely undoing any growth Kanon had shown up to that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom