• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSeed gives status update on Rune Factory 4's release date

ronito

Tides of Destiny makes me laugh and smile and have just as much fun as the other Rune Factory games ^_^ It made me realize that "fun and enjoyment" is more important than review scores. Oh, and it isn't possible to just breeze through the "game" part of the game (or the social part too, in fact, you can't breeze through the game period). It gets challenging if you don't craft your armor/weapons, make your own food and potions to replenish yourself, etc. (believe me, I'm at one of the later dungeons and even after 50hrs of playing I'm getting my ass kicked, I'm really regretting not leveling up my weapons and armor -_- ) And even though the farming is "different", it's fun too, you get to be a "plantation overseer" of monsters who do the farming. And you can even craft items to personalize your house, but I haven't really tried that. So have fun with Tides of Destiny! Oh, and oddly enough, the UI is incredibly blurry in the Wii version, makes me wish I had a PS3 to play it on, so I'm jealous of you, you'll get to play it without all the anamorphic stretching and blurriness!

edit:\/ And for the 3DS, knowing that Rune Factory 4 was coming out on it was the "system seller" that pushed me to get a 3DS!
I'm sorry but I love LOVE Rune Factory but I'd rather forget about Tides. It seemed to me to be an experimental entry. No sir I didn't like like

Also: I'll get you H Protagonist!

Lumyst

^^^As I said, the changes tended to be "for the worst" :p RF4 looks to be a return to form (and after looking at the Media Create sales of ToD compared to 4, yikes, RF4 will be the template for future titles I'd think). Luckily the whole "watching the characters interact and do hilarious things" stuff made up for the bad things in ToD (and the bosses were funny). ToD almost, dare I say it, wanted to have that cinematic AAA feel despite being developed by a small team (you know that opening cinematic with the Chitter and the credits fading in and out like it's some movie...) Frontier was sooooo good, so if they were ever to make a console game again, ToD is not the one to emulate, and I wish Frontier was the one to introduce Sony gamers to the series (but after looking at Frontier's sales...I may have to cry right now just like the people in that thread did years ago).

edit: Hmm, so I guess what I feel about ToD is that it has many gameplay flaws (and a disorienting 3D camera too) but if treated like a cartoon to laugh along with, it's enjoyable. But when it comes to a video game, the gameplay first philosophy should be paramount, so the consensus that it's the worst in the series can be accepted by me. I do wonder if Tides fell for the "dumb down and change things to hopefully appeal to a wider audience" trap though.

Bumping this thread as I don't feel like this warrants a new one.

We are a little under a week away from release and I'm finishing up the OT, then I got to thinking: How do you people feel about listing out the bachelorettes (and bachelors this time!) in regards to spoilers?. I did it in my Frontier thread to no objections however as I thought more about it I wondered if people would rather it be a surprise.

Personally I've never derived any enjoyment out of "discovering" who the potential marriage candidates are and I almost always prefer to know my choices from the get go.

If enough people feel differently I'll leave it out so let me know.

Necrovex

We are a little under a week away from release and I'm finishing up the OT, then I got to thinking: How do you people feel about listing out the bachelorettes (and bachelors this time!) in regards to spoilers?. I did it in my Frontier thread to no objections however as I thought more about it I wondered if people would rather it be a surprise.

Personally I've never derived any enjoyment out of "discovering" who the potential marriage candidates are and I almost always prefer to know my choices from the get go.

I like to know who my waifu will be prior to the game. Gotta factor that prep time in!

wait this is next week?

my lawd.

wait is this one good? I recall hearing it being not that great. i remember enjoying the first one but never got around to getting any of the others.

vareon

I'm OK with it. I think the game have enough surprises beyond knowing who the bachelors/bachelorettes are, and I don't think you're going to spoil them too much anyway. Will be greatly anticipating this game and the OT.

Courting a girl who is isn't an option is going to be pretty sad.

Is any of that really supposed to be a secret?

Paskil

I have no problem with a brief summary of all the eligible characters you can romance. Looking forward to the OT. :D

i know its a different team, but whats the reason why this still looks like a ds game, while the harvest moon 3ds games transitioned to 3d?

what does 4 offer over me just picking up 2 or 3 for cheap?

Lumyst

Hm, well, some of the instruction books if I recall had the bachelorettes in them, some didn't, and if they did, there were just short blurbs. Some of the "secret" bachelorettes were left out also. The official RF4 website though seems to show a lot of the characters.

edit: ^ I tend to enjoy the characters and humor in this series, so of course it will offer more of that, plus a refinement of previous ideas with some new ones. I don't know about how RF4 compares to the others in the series though, people seem to recommend RF3 the most.

i know its a different team, but whats the reason why this still looks like a ds game, while the harvest moon 3ds games transitioned to 3d?

It's probably cheaper, they didn't want to have to fire all of their 2D staff, their fanbase doesn't really care about graphical prowess, etc.

The big thing about Rune Factory 4 is the introduction of dating / boosting the relationship aspect of the game.

Kazerei

Banned
I'm looking forward to playing as a girl and dating bachelors. Although Forte looks like a pretty awesome bachelorette so hmmm, I dunno. Hopefully there's two or more save slots.

Meier

I loved Rune Factory Frontier on the Wii but have not played any of the other games in the series. The 3DS seems like a perfect fit for it.. hope it's good.

Lumyst

I'm looking forward to playing as a girl and dating bachelors. Although Forte looks like a pretty awesome bachelorette so hmmm, I dunno. Hopefully there's two or more save slots.

If a male player plays as the girl and has the girl marry a guy, is the girl his waifu, is the guy his waifu, is the guy his hasubando, or is the player himself his own waifu? These are the pressing questions, but I assume there are girls who had to play as a guy in the previous games and they didn't fret about this kind of stuff >_<

Could not care less about Pokémon and EO isn't really my cup o' tea.

I win!

We know the secret, while everybody else is busy dreaming about throwing metal balls at monsters and making them fight, we'll be womanizing/manninizing, farming, and saving the world at the same time.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Well 2 sucks for one thing and apparently 4 doesn't.

What is stopping you from getting 3, that's the real question.

Kirie

Sorry for the bump, but it seems that some people are getting the game early, so I'd suggest calling your local GS (especially if you have a preorder) and seeing if they have any! I called 3 stores, and they said that they could sell the game but they didn't have any in stock, or that they only had enough for preorders.

I've already played the game in Japanese (almost 400 hours) but I can't wait to get it again. I'm learning Japanese, so my comprehension isn't fantastic.. but the game is so great that it definitely warrants another purchase. :D

Eusis

so... does the retail box have any goodies? wonder if im too late for preorders... is there a digital release?
Doesn't seem to have any special extras like artbooks or music CDs. I AM curious if there's a manual though, or if perhaps Nintendo decided to be like Sony and mandate no more manuals. Atlus and Xseed were the only ones I'd really have counted on to keep manuals, but Atlus fell to the wayside so now we're left to see if Xseed bothers or is even forced to drop it.

Lumyst

Doesn't seem to have any special extras like artbooks or music CDs. I AM curious if there's a manual though, or if perhaps Nintendo decided to be like Sony and mandate no more manuals. Atlus and Xseed were the only ones I'd really have counted on to keep manuals, but Atlus fell to the wayside so now we're left to see if Xseed bothers or is even forced to drop it.

The cartridge will actually be a higher capacity cartridge in order to have better audio quality, which I'm okay with as a compromise to no preorder goodies :p I do wish that if there are no manuals anymore that they go ahead and drastically reduce the package size of games, (Jewel case sizes for discs, etc) or heck, when the time comes, just do cartridges instead of discs. I saw a PSVita game case for the first time a couple weeks ago and it was so small and cute, it looked like the perfect size!

Milamber

Welp, time to find a US 3DS and a copy of Rune Factory 4.

Milamber's Personal RF DS Power Rankings... RF3 > RF1 >>> RF2.

And from the Japanese reviews from last year and the impressions from the importers, it looks like that RF4 >> RF3.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Milamber's Personal RF DS Power Rankings... RF3 > RF1 >>> RF2.

And from the Japanese reviews from last year and the impressions from the importers, it looks like that RF4 >> RF3.

You have the right of it in your power rankings. Robotically accurate. If you want to add Frontier and Tides into it mine goes something like this.

RF3>RF1>>RF:Frontier>RF2>>>>>Tides.

Lumyst

RF3>RF1>>RF:Frontier>RF2>>>>>Tides.

You know how Kotaku gave "Game and Wario" a "Yes, play" rating and said to play it as a comedy? That's what keeps me going as I'm trying to finish Tides of Destiny, the fact that "Game and Wario" got a "yes" from Kotaku.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Tides defenders (who aren't ridiculous Sony fans) are the strangest people on the planet.

The only thing that game improved on was the combo system for weapons. Everything else was abominable.

How the hell you mess up a Rune Factory game, already a winning combination of dating sim, bad gauntlet clone, crafting, and farming, add in a GIANT ROBOT and make it terrible. Game should be penalized even more for ruining such a great idea.

Lumyst

^^Well, as I said, if it's played as a game it sucks compared to the others, but I'm enjoying it the same way I'd enjoy a cartoon, so when Kotaku says "Game and Wario" can be played as a comedy, then that is analogous to the way I enjoy ToD. But pleeeease let me be close to the end, hitting a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a and seeing the monsters turn black and continue to float because they're still being hit, despite being dead...ugh.

So RF4 doesn't have anything from ToD right, no Spirit Wand, no probability farming with monsters, no golems, just a return to form with some new stuff thrown in?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I wasn't calling you out, I think you have the right of it.

It's just so terribly disappointing. Frontier while also marred by one dumb decision could have been great, this game...too many things wrong with it.

Lumyst

I wasn't calling you out, I think you have the right of it.

It's just so terribly disappointing. Frontier while also marred by one dumb decision could have been great, this game...too many things wrong with it.

Does that start with an "r" :p I'd have liked it if they gave some sort of "runeyscope" device instead of having to go back to Candy or the Clock Tower. Using a pencil and paper helped though, same as when charting materials and upgrades for weapons and armor. I crave the day when RPGs on touchscreen devices (or consoles with touchscreen controllers) have a built in note-taking feature.

One compliment I have for ToD though is that the loading times were improved. You can hear the disc being read when you're about to enter different areas, so I suspect that there's some "preloading" going on when the character is near certain zones before going to other areas.

Did RF2 and RF4 really sell the most in Japan? The commonality between the two is that the main adventure can be played through as either a male or a female, so I would think gender choice will continue in the future, even if that affects the way the story can be told. I am interested in seeing how the story compares between Lest and Frey, if it is only a matter of dialogue swap or if certain things such as being a prince/princess have different responsibilities or expectations. But I'm betting it's just dialogue swap.

Milamber

My guess is RF2 sold well cause everyone expected it to better than RF1. Rude awakening there. RF3 restored the faith in the RF series and the developers wouldn't want to fix what's not broken so played safe with RF4.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
My guess is RF2 sold well cause everyone expected it to better than RF1. Rude awakening there. RF3 restored the faith in the RF series and the developers wouldn't want to fix what's not broken so played safe with RF4.

They still changed a lot with RF 4. It's the first full game with both male and female protagonists, it finally has a good framerate and it has a bunch of other little tweaks and changes here and there.

Lumyst

^^^ So there was no goodwill lost due to Tides of Destiny affecting sales of RF4 then, thankfully. I hope Nintendo translates the Iwata Asks for Rune Factory 4, it's not like they're averse to doing that for 3rd party 3DS games (there's Kingdom Hearts 3D's). I mean, the RF series has been on Nintendo consoles since the beginning, unlike Kingdom Hearts. But I have a feeling they won't care to.

^^ Seems that RuneFactoryFanboy is working on one.

Eusis

think ill just get on eshop. haven't really used my 32gb card much :(

I still have the $30 promo anyhow
I should have $5 credit due to getting Wind Waker... but I got a good pre-order on Amazon, I'd have probably already scrapped and waited were it not for that.

Lumyst

Well, technically I already bumped this thread back when the website launched :) Are we back to .midi music again?!?

I hope the OT makes it on time, if there's a game where I'd actually participate in an OT discussion it would be for any game in the Rune Factory series, but I guess I have the luck of falling in love with a series that's niche enough that an Etrian Odyssey remake gets more discussion (I know, salt).

I should have $5 credit due to getting Wind Waker... but I got a good pre-order on Amazon, I'd have probably already scrapped and waited were it not for that.
Seems too late to get day 1 off amazon for me :(

I doubt gamestop would have any in stock without preorder.

What's the size of this game? Is there VA?

Top Bottom