• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD - PS4 was the top selling console of November 2016

Could it be Sony's plan to not have UHD drive in PS Pro at launch but next year when Scorpio launches they are going to launch a new model with UHD drive to 'enhance' its value?

I got a Philips 4K UHD Blu-ray player for $97 on Black Friday. No joke. It was the BF deal of the year.

The Samsung player is at a standard holiday price of $200 at Best Buy right now and it was also discounted to the $160-180 range during BF and Cyber Monday.

Sony's decision to not have the 4K UHD BD player in Pro is just so disappointing, it's obvious to anyone paying attention that adding the hardware wouldn't have costed much at all. However it seems that Sony is unwilling to invest the effort in developing the software for good quality playback. Even now, the PS4's Blu-ray player app is miles behind the quality of the PS3's Blu-ray player app. Sony just doesn't care anymore about the format they helped create more than a decade ago now and it's sad. Sad!

Three

Never even bothered responding to those who acted like the One S was a better buy than the Pro based on UHD. What gamer buys worse gaming hardware because movies look prettier? Absolute non-sense. UHD would be nice to have, and I wouldn't be shocked to see Pro and/or Slim revisions include it, but its importance was definitely overblown.

The resolution on movies matter for physical media, the resolution on games don't and physical media is the past for games which should die.
/s

I think XB1 has a fighting chance in December.

I understand that a UHD Bluray player would have been beneficial, however how many people asking for this actually buy blurays? I haven't bought a DVD or Bluray in over 3 years.

It would have been a good addition nonetheless, but look at the market and the sales of these things.

//DEVIL//

Its already transformed

410e5ed359d2cafbd26c39023fa9ef10.gif
May I ask what anime is this from and is it worth watching ?

The resolution on movies matter for physical media, the resolution on games don't and physical media is the past for games which should die.
/s

I think XB1 has a fighting chance in December.

I'm not seeing it. PS4 has a $249.99 sku until the 24th. Unless MS goes for broke with a $199.99 model (which is guaranteed to be costing them money, especially if they bundle it with a game or two) I don't see them beating Sony this month.

This is PS4 + PS4 Pro combined vs XB1 I assume, but did anyone really expect a different outcome in the month the Pro was launched?

Why is it too soon for a pro special edition but the slim just got a limited edition FFXV "Luna" edition? Both pro and slim skus are still practically brand new.

To be honest that's a good question that I don't know the answer. It's possible that Pro is seen as an upgrade so they're waiting for the sales to go down before referring a limited edition to snag the leftover customers.

While the Slim is still the same as the OG PS4 so they're already in the "pick up stragglers" phase.

This is PS4 + PS4 Pro combined vs XB1 I assume, but did anyone really expect a different outcome in the month the Pro was launched?

Yes.

Given the difference in bundle option between Slim and S, it was not unlikely for the sales gap for both to be 25%.

If that was the case, S has a chance of outselling PS4, Pro or non-Pro if we assume Pro makes up 30% of Nov.

Some certainly did. I mean, 4K Blu-Ray playback was going to be the decisive factor after all.

I'm surprised some thought XB could win, I am assuming the previous few months of Pro pre-orders all counted towards the November figures (correct me if wrong) + the PS4 sales

Sayad

Hunter X Hunter.

Don't watch it.

That transformation GIF happens only once in the anime and you'll have to watch ~140 episodes (much of it mediocre) just to get to that moment.

It isn't worth it.

Just watch the fight where he transforms.
This is the worst opinion I have ever read on GAF. 2016 can't end fast enough.

sirap

Some certainly did. I mean, 4K Blu-Ray playback was going to be the decisive factor after all.

Don't forget the One S secret sauce boost that somehow made it a contender against the Pro.

I can see how casuals might've gotten confused, but gaffers and tech reviewers???

thelastword

Banned
Don't forget the One S secret sauce boost that somehow made it a contender against the Pro.

I can see how casuals might've gotten confused, but gaffers and tech reviewers???
Wasn't there a thread about an article on how the XB1-S was a better buy over a Pro. I remember a huge thread about it, but I hardly paid attention to that one.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Hunter X Hunter.

Don't watch it.

That transformation GIF happens only once in the anime and you'll have to watch ~140 episodes (much of it mediocre) just to get to that moment.

It isn't worth it.

Kinda disgusted by that post ...lol.

HxH slander - come on man.

dd492941

Wish we had numbers

I agree, I'd be interested in seeing if they were back on top by a landslide or a puddle.
I helped them out this holiday with buying a pro and psvr at their launches. I have no regrets.
Well except selling my og launch ps4 was sad as I hate selling my old systems but only after selling them. Not before when I want the gratification of getting money. Haha

Melchiah

Xbox won by 1500 units in September and 25k units in October.
PS4 outsold them by more than 67k units in November, 50k just during BF week.

Damn.

I watched the video. He even draws similarities between people who buy ps4 and people who buy Justin Bieber. As if being an Xbox fan is also like being a fan of a really good unknown band. Lol.

So, the 360 was the Bieber choice last gen?

dd492941

Wasn't there a thread about an article on how the XB1-S was a better buy over a Pro. I remember a huge thread about it, but I hardly paid attention to that one.
Wait, seriously, people believe the xbone s compares to a pro? That's ridiculous. Is it because of 4k video?
Seems like nonsense but with Microsoft winning any npd this year, it seemed to work for them. I don't have a reason to buy one but they are getting close with how cheap it is to buy and I love new hardware haha.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
I loved Hunter v Hunter is the beginning but it got way too dark for me. Don't get these artists and there obsession with violence and spiritism. After the focus on Gon dwindled, so did my interest.

It may be a bit over hyped on GAF, but it is a quality anime. Some of the best fights ever.

Xandremi

Make sure you specify Hunter x Hunter, because he could mistakenly start Hybrid x Heart and really say "anime was a mistake."

Also, Hunter x Hunter is pretty well regarded.

BTW, congrats PS4! Healthy console business is great!

i just googled Hybrid x Heart and that just looks like a infinite stratos ripoff but much more lewd and worse lol....

The king never left guys, just took a vacation ;) congrats Sony!

ethomaz

Banned
Hunter x Hunters is absolutely amazing.

The biggest flaw is Togashi releasing only few chapter each 2 years because his life... he got sick, he needed to finish DQX, etc.

onQ123

I got a Philips 4K UHD Blu-ray player for $97 on Black Friday. No joke. It was the BF deal of the year.

The Samsung player is at a standard holiday price of $200 at Best Buy right now and it was also discounted to the $160-180 range during BF and Cyber Monday.

Sony's decision to not have the 4K UHD BD player in Pro is just so disappointing, it's obvious to anyone paying attention that adding the hardware wouldn't have costed much at all. However it seems that Sony is unwilling to invest the effort in developing the software for good quality playback. Even now, the PS4's Blu-ray player app is miles behind the quality of the PS3's Blu-ray player app. Sony just doesn't care anymore about the format they helped create more than a decade ago now and it's sad. Sad!

If you bought a standalone UHD Blu-ray player over Xbox One S when the price difference was just over $100 for Black Friday/Cyber Monday so UHD Blu-ray playback in a console can't be too important .

The price difference would be even bigger between a PS4 Pro with UHD Blu-ray playback than it would be for a standalone so why is it so disappointing that PS4 Pro isn't a over priced UHD Blu-ray player when you can get a UHD Blu-ray player for a lot cheaper by getting a standalone or a Xbox One S?

Galang

Banned
Hunter X Hunter.

Don't watch it.

It isn't worth it.

Lmfao. Don't listen to this. Hunter x Hunter is one of the few anime I enjoy as someone who's not terribly fond of anime. I can't believe you would even just link the fight. It's pretty pointless if you don't get what's going on

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Whats funny about MAU is Sony could speak on it too but they rarely do. I have seen it mentioned about Sony here n there.

MS went back n forth from sales to MAU to sales to MAU when they couldnt really have PR about sales.

By the way this is the link to the PS4 Pro not having UHD Blu-ray topic

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1275171

And when I got an XBO for the kids I totally forgot about UHD blu ray play back. Even in XBO threads recently I said BC was a reason to get one and still forgot about UHD play back.

See...IMO the key difference between the PS1, PS2 and PS3 is the media format was the main one as a feature. UHD is a type of Blu Ray. In the PS3 it was just Blu Ray. In PS2 it was just DVD. PS1 just CD. To some, probably many ppl UHD isnt gonna make that much of a difference vs standard Blu Ray.

Still woulda been nice Sony, lol.

Top Bottom