• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekly Japanese Magazine Dirty News (Squeenix loves PSP, EGM was right!)

Amir0x

Banned
Nothing is ruined, you can participate if you like. We're discussing if it's a good thing or a bad thing that SquareEnix thinks abusing the Final Fantasy franchise at this level is ok, and also on the broader picture what has become of SquareEnix. Are they lame or not? Instead of crying, you too can find something to contribute.

Jesus F'in H Christ... who actually gives a shit about FF1 and FF2?

FFIV, V, and VI deserve juiced up, high-res, reworked, enhanced 2D sprite versions much more... and here's the kicker, Square-Enix: people actually WANT these games enhanced. I won't be greedy and say I'd rather have more-realized 3D PlayStation 2 quality remakes (I'd rebuy all at full price, no doubt :D), but even just beautifully redone 2D would be appreciated.

We already have reworked versions of FF1 and 2... three goddamn times over (Wonderswan, PS1, and GBA).

What do we get with the later, greater 2D FF's? A slightly (and I mean like a sliver of slightly) prettied up FFIV for GBA and FFVI with no graphical enhancements, but some cheap additions.
I use to be a big Square whore... but now even I'm starting to question some of these decissions.

I hope this is just the beginning of the FF Anniversary announcements, but this says "HAPPY 20 YEARS FF" to FF fans about as much as me giving my wife a stumbling donkey-punch as a thoughtful anniversary gift. -_-

Terrell

RevenantKioku said:
Obviously mileages will vary. I just think it's a tad unfair to compare them towards EA/Ubisoft. It's more like Nintendo and their Mario-whoring, I'd say.
I'm pretty sure that they've ECLIPSED Mario-whoring. I mean, even Nintendo wasn't so bold as to remake the original Super Mario Bros. as many times (and in as many places) as we've seen FF1. And Nintendo has also released several more IPs under the Mario banner, and while they may not be everyone's cup of tea, at least it's offering a more varied scope.

I mean, if we're gonna compare, we might want to pair them on equal terms. Sorry, I side with them being closer to the EA/Ubisoft comparison here, though not quite THAT far off the deep end.

Amir0x said:
I still have no idea where this movement came from. If you hate a game, and did not enjoy it (the very central aspect of gaming), then why would you act like it's any good? It's one thing to not enjoy something because it's not in a genre you like - say, you prefer arcade racing to sim racing. So, you'd avoid sim racing because it doesn't appeal to you. But if you're a fan of action games and didn't enjoy Metal Gear Solid at all, why would you act like it's quality?

Hey if that makes you feel better, be my guest. If you think it's just less rude, a bit more diplomatic that's cool too.

I don't have any pretense in me, when I hate something I hate it because it has a plethora of gameplay mechanics that shouldn't be there to me. And "to me" is all that matters, I don't consider something "great" just because it got a 98% ranking at gameranking and is the current queen of the ball at neoGAF or any other forum. On a similar note, there's also no reason for me to pretend I can understand why others would enjoy it. It is enough to recognize there are people who enjoy everything on Earth in some way, and from there you just pick and choose.

No, it's really got nothing to do with pretense. I understand the mechanics behind the game are solidly executed. And that's it. From then on, it's just all up to whether or not one enjoys the game/whether or not those mechanics should have been implemented in the first place. And since enjoyment is entirely subjective, I have no claim as to whether or not it's a good game on that premise. And frankly, I see no reason why anyone else should have that claim either.

Avalon

ethelred said:
It'd be nice if some folks would stop ruining the ****ing weekly news thread.

In what universe would this thread have been anything but a train wreck? Just look at what was announced.

Amir0x

Banned
Pureauthor said:
I understand the mechanics behind the game are solidly executed. And that's it. From then on, it's just all up to whether or not one enjoys the game/whether or not those mechanics should have been implemented in the first place. And since enjoyment is entirely subjective, I have no claim as to whether or not it's a good game on that premise. And frankly, I see no reason why anyone else should have that claim either.

Are they solidly executed? What didn't you enjoy about the game, then? All I am saying is, if you didn't enjoy the game there's really no reason to say "oh yeah Metal Gear is great, it's just not for me." If you like action games or stealth games, but not Metal Gear, then there's a very real reason for that. And while it's always subjective, that doesn't mean it's bad to just say so.

More specifically on topic, these announcements augment why SquareEnix has lost sway with me. Fortunately, companies like Atlus have picked up the slack... at least for now.

Amir0x said:
Yes really! :eek:wlgif:

<-----

orly9it.gif

not like there's anything more to contribute to the thread anyway.

Terrell said:
I'm pretty sure that they've ECLIPSED Mario-whoring. I mean, even Nintendo wasn't so bold as to remake the original Super Mario Bros. as many times (and in as many places) as we've seen FF1.

Yep, instead they just ported it and charged 20 bucks for it.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
cool. i'll probably get these eventually when they're closer to 20 bucks or so, though. i've already got the PSOne re-released

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
:rollseyes

I cant believe you people are arguing with Amir0x, wow good luck with that! I mean no offense to Amir0x but seriously come on. I've seen this far too many times, Amir0x posts some gaffers get outraged 2 or 3 pages later and still the same discussion over the same thing with probably some bans here and there.

Avalon

Amir0x said:
Are they solidly executed? What didn't you enjoy about the game, then? All I am saying is, if you didn't enjoy the game there's really no reason to say "oh yeah Metal Gear is great, it's just not for me." If you like action games, but not Metal Gear, then there's a very real reason for that. And while it's always subjective, that doesn't mean it's bad to just say so.

Not everyone can be as blunt as you. Besides, most threads would turn into crap if people were that honest.

Amir0x

Banned
Error2k4 said:

I cant believe you people are arguing with Amir0x, wow good luck with that! I mean no offense to Amir0x but seriously come on. I've seen this far too many times, Amir0x posts some gaffers get outraged 2 or 3 pages later and still the same discussion over the same thing with probably some bans here and there.

You commented as well in this discussion. :lol

I never do bans for this shit, as long as people keep things on the subject being discussed and not about individual users.

Jonnyram

Woo, these might be the first FF games I don't buy since DoC!
What on earth is the point in this? You can get both games ON THE SAME CART for GBA. Is there a massive non-GBA-owning PSP audience?

I got halfway through FF1 on the WSC, halfway through it again on PS1, and finally completed it on GBA. No way am I doing that bloody volcano dungeon again.

Amir0x said:
Are they solidly executed? What didn't you enjoy about the game, then?

Fundamentally, I don't like the sneaking around.

All I am saying is, if you didn't enjoy the game there's really no reason to say "oh yeah Metal Gear is great, it's just not for me." If you like action games, but not Metal Gear, then there's a very real reason for that. And while it's always subjective, that doesn't mean it's bad to just say so.

Actually, there is a reason. I honestly think Metal Gear Solid is a great, wonderful game. I simply didn't enjoy it very much at all.

Actually, as far as threads that have been 'Amir0xed' go, I'd say this is one the better ones.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
icecream said:
Not too bad... expected for the genre. At least it'll sell well without regards to the score.
It's the second worse scoring game on the list though.

Amir0x

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Fundamentally, I don't like the sneaking around. Actually, there is a reason. I honestly think Metal Gear Solid is a great, wonderful game. I simply didn't enjoy it very much at all.[/

That's the 'genre' clause. If you don't like stealth games, you should just avoid stealth games. That's a tiny bit different than someone who enjoys RPGs, but hates a certain RPG because it does something they don't like. There's a billion people who enjoys FFVII, but there's just as vocal a crowd that doesn't. Would this crowd say it's a "great game, but I didn't enjoy it"? Does that really make sense, if these are people that enjoy RPGs in general?

Error2k4 said:
well I was trying to have fun too! but people take this too seriously :(

Honestly, this is not serious. No one should take this stuff seriously. I enjoy these discussions with GAFers, that's why I keep having them :)

Jammy

Banned
I echo jonnyram's sentiments. The only way these games would be worth it is if they were remade to the level that Final Fantasy III for DS was. Not only have these games been ported multiple times already, but there's a GBA game that includes BOTH I and II that goes for $19.99 now. And there's none of that loading that will probably be present in the PSP game. How many people don't have a GBA/DS, again?

I must be the only person that thinks FFIII DS is eye-bleedingly ugly and would have rather seen a remade 2D version...

... and I'm not even one of these old school 2D purists. :D

Amir0x

Banned
TheJollyCorner said:
I must be the only person that thinks FFIII DS is eye-bleedingly ugly and would have rather seen a remade 2D version...

... and I'm not even one of these old school 2D purists. :D

Heh, no I agree with you there. At least on DS, I would prefer it to be remade in higher quality 2D. At least, that would have improved one of the aspects I disliked about the game.

ethelred

TheJollyCorner said:

I see you haven't met Amir0x yet. Send us all invites when you kids pick a date for the wedding.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
TheJollyCorner said:
I hope this is just the beginning of the FF Anniversary announcements, but this says "HAPPY 20 YEARS FF" to FF fans about as much as me giving my wife a stumbling donkey-punch as a thoughtful anniversary gift. -_-
Dick in a box?

Amir0x said:
That's the 'genre' clause. If you don't like stealth games, you should just avoid stealth games. That's a tiny bit different than someone who enjoys RPGs, but hates a certain RPG because it does something they don't like. There's a billion people who enjoys FFVII, but there's just as vocal a crowd that doesn't. Would this crowd say it's a "great game, but I didn't enjoy it"? Does that really make sense, if these are people that enjoy RPGs in general?

I don't like the sneaking around in Metal Gear Solid. That means I dislike stealth genre games. But that is also because sneaking around is something fundamental to the stealth genre. You can't have stealth without sneaking around. It just doesn't happen.

What is fundamental to the RPG genre? It's so incredibly diverse and all-over the place that it would be incredibly difficult to simply find a single thing. Maybe HP bars and stat crunching - but aside from that... I got nothing.

Let's go back to the stealth genre argument. Say person A likes sneaking around and doing the stuff normally done in stealth games. But then say there's a new stealth game with a mechanic that dictates you lose life at a varying rate depending of severity of wounds you receive. 'Bleeding' damage, if you will. Person A may dislike this mechanic. Thus he dislikes the game.

But say there's a genre in which the bleeding damage mechanic is fundamental to the genre itself. Does he get a free pass to say the game from the stealth genre 'sucks' because of the bleeding mechanic, yet can't say that the bleeding genre as a whole sucks due to the 'genre' clause?

Genres aren't really in issue here, as far as I'm concerned. Not to mention, as we've said, RPGs barely have any fundamental mechanics to all of them anyway.

Honestly, this is not serious. No one should take this stuff seriously. I enjoy these discussions with GAFers, that's why I keep having them :)

I think a lot of people don't enjoy reading these arguments, though. :lol

icecream

Public Health Threat
jj984jj said:
It's the second worse scoring game on the list though.
Yes, well it's a training sim aimed at a specific audience... and that audience doesn't really care about Famitsu scores. :)

Amir0x

Banned
Pureauthor said:
I don't like the sneaking around in Metal Gear Solid. That means I dislike stealth genre games. But that is also because sneaking around is something fundamental to the stealth genre. You can't have stealth without sneaking around. It just doesn't happen.

What is fundamental to the RPG genre? It's so incredibly diverse and all-over the place that it would be incredibly difficult to simply find a single thing. Maybe HP bars and stat crunching - but aside from that... I got nothing.

Let's go back to the stealth genre argument. Say person A likes sneaking around and doing the stuff normally done in stealth games. But then say there's a new stealth game with a mechanic that dictates you lose life at a varying rate depending of severity of wounds you receive. 'Bleeding' damage, if you will. Person A may dislike this mechanic. Thus he dislikes the game.

But say there's a genre in which the bleeding damage mechanic is fundamental to the genre itself. Does he get a free pass to say the game from the stealth genre 'sucks' because of the bleeding mechanic, yet can't say that the bleeding genre as a whole sucks due to the 'genre' clause?

Genres aren't really in issue here, as far as I'm concerned. Not to mention, as we've said, RPGs barely have any fundamental mechanics to all of them anyway.

Well, I'm not sure what you mean in the context of the Metal Gear example. So do you agree that there is a difference between people just disliking a genre because it doesn't appeal to them (such as Metal Gear, since you're no fan of stealth games), and people disliking a particular game in a genre because it has a lot of mechanics that are lame to them?

In the ladder example, why should people have to say "Oh yeah it's great, but I didn't enjoy it"? There are people who enjoy everything, so where is the line that says 'this is genuinely great, but I didn't enjoy it' or 'this is a shitty game, but some people still happen to like it'? This in of itself is a subjective decision, of course.

Pureauthor said:
I think a lot of people don't enjoy reading these arguments, though. :lol

Why, I was voted one of the top posters of 2006 in that GAF thread! :lol More seriously, nobody is forced to read and everyone is welcomed to participate if they like. Up to them, naturally :)

isn't there some kind of running joke about either Metal Gear or Zelda somehow worming their way into every possible ****ing thread? There's gotta be... :lol

Here's my pedestrian idea for a fantastic Final Fantasy 20th Anniversary release for fans of the series:

Make some nifty 30-40 minute, Amano-inspired animation that somehow tells FF1's story (even if it's in still picture form with some fancy effects/music/narrator/etc.) and create a DVD/Blu-Ray/whatever that is absolutely filled with art, designs, music, making-of info, new CG movies, etc. for all 12 games in the main series. Throw in a playable version of FFXIII on the Blu-Ray and release the son of a bitch on 12-28-07 as a "happy anniversary" present to fans. Toss in some kind of Amano lithograph *signed for the ultra-limited-edition-expensive people* and put a price of around $39 ($129 for the limited edition crystal tin +Amano sig version)... I'd imagine it would pull in quite a bit.
The CG part is kind of pushing it, since making new movies of popular scenes from 12 games isn't quite that easy, but this little fantasy idea of mine was assuming S-E had been planning this little party at least for the past couple years.

...or they could just port FF1 and 2 to PSP.

cvxfreak

Get used to it FF fans. *holds Biohazard umbrella above head*

To add something constructive to this thread, I think it's okay for SE to do this. Just don't charge 5800 Yen each. I think ultimately Famicom Mini versions of the first two would have been slightly more interesting.

ethelred

Blablurn said:
I'm really looking forward to the Remakes. Especially because I have never played them!

Wow.

It takes a special kind of love to find the silver lining on this one. I guess Square Enix'll hit the jackpot here, appealing to all the people who never owned a PlayStation, PlayStation 2, Game Boy Advance, or DS.

kaz1kb2.jpg

"Good morning, Kawazu-san. Thanks for having me here today, to a meeting in your opulent Executive Producer office."

kaw1nn7.jpg

"Congratulations, Hirai-san, on becoming president of SCE, our former most important industry partner."

kaz1kb2.jpg

"Thank you. As the new president, it's my job to pick up where Kutaragi-san left off and continue to forge strong relationships with software makers."

kaw1nn7.jpg

"Of course. Well, I'm not sure what we'll really be able to do for the PSP at this point. We'd only be able to make our money back on ports of PlayStation 1 games, but that ship has pretty much sailed after PS3."

kaz1kb2.jpg

"Please. I'll take anything."

kaw1nn7.jpg

"I'll put another SaGa game on it! I'll make it myself!"

kaz1kb2.jpg

"Oh, man. When I said anything, I didn't mean it."

kaw1nn7.jpg

"Well, that was my last idea. We don't have any other old content that's not already earmarked for DS or Virtual Console. Unless we ported some old GBA games to PSP. Hahahahahaha!"

kaz3or1.jpg

"Hahaahaahahahahahahaha!"

kaw2op0.jpg

"Hahaahahahahaahahahaahahahahahahah!"

kaz2eh0.jpg

"..."

kaw2op0.jpg

"Haahaha... why did you stop laughing?"

kaz2eh0.jpg

"Could... could you do that?"

kaw1nn7.jpg

"...I'll talk to some people."

Avalon said:
Is Amano even involved with FF anymore? :(

he still makes the logos.
He has a pretty good relationship with Yoshinori Kitase, from what I remember reading in an interview back when FFX was released. Too bad Kitase can't make another FF utilizing Amano's art-style it seems.

I'd love to see another Amano/Naora art collaboration like FFVI. One of the most interesting (and wasted, due to technical limitations) artistic atmospheres in any FF, or RPG for that matter...

ElyrionX

Has FFT been dated yet? Can we expect a NA release by the end of 2007?

Jesus, BALTHIER!! OMFG OMFG OMFG!!! CANNOT WAIT!!

Wow, this is terrible...who exactly are these aimed at? The people who don't have Playstations, Game Boy Advances, DSes, NESes, DoCoMo Cell Phones, or Wonderswans, but really, really like FF enough to buy them on PSP, but don't like them so much that they already emu'd them?

Man oh man, and we thought RockmanRockman's sales were borked.

As for FFT:LW, when I saw Balthier was being added, my instant reaction was "woohoo!", but then I thought about how well adding a character into a pre-existing story without Matsuno's involvement would go...now, I'm not so sure. I guess we'll see on that one.

Zen said:
I like Balthier as much as the next person but altering the story of Final Fantasy tactics to include him in it is just lame.

Including him as a sort of chewbacca to Ramza is just retarded. It's disrespectful to the original entirely, especially since he's blatantly there just to generate sales. Balthier doesn't even belong in that time period of Ivalice anyway.
Heh. Considering multiple Cids, it would be pretty funny to start seeing multiple Balthiers too.

Link316 said:
haha! called it

this means III to IX will eventually find its way to the PSP too
Err, in the same way it meant III through IX made their way to WSC and GBA?

ethelred said:
Wow.

It takes a special kind of love to find the silver lining on this one. I guess Square Enix'll hit the jackpot here, appealing to all the people who never owned a PlayStation, PlayStation 2, Game Boy Advance, or DS.

You know, it's funny, I own all those systems but never actually played any of these specific FF, I always say I will pick up all the FF games one way or another....eh...well I guess I can't help it, I do have to many games to go through my backlog as is.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
JoshuaJSlone said:
Heh. Considering multiple Cids, it would be pretty funny to start seeing multiple Balthiers too.

Err, in the same way it meant III through IX made their way to WSC and GBA?
FFV's MID TO BE RENAMED TO BALTHIER IN NEXT FFV REMAKE.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
ethelred said:
Wow.

The irony: Both can be picked up for $20 on the GBA...

or uh... "picked up" on the PSP with one of the great GBA emulators out there. :lol

Top Bottom