• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 4

Too much good. I'm loving the hell out of the characters and the action, even if some of the situations, turns, and reactions can be pretty cliche.

cajunator

Banned
At least 2chan hates Waganai. lol

I dont understand why really. Its legit good.

Extended the list. How Golden Time is below Infinite Stratos 2 is beyond me.

EDIT: All top 101 are now there.

I think I might have an idea why...

I have always had this notion that Kill la Kill is a more popular anime over here then in Japan.

This is the case for a lot of anime.

RIP Yuyushiki :'(

It was too good for this world ;_;

The World God Only Knows II - 9-12

The Student teacher's personality was a little different than I expected. Still super cute though. Loved her love of Wrestling. Reminded me of an old friend of mine.

Elsie counting to 500 was pretty funny.

As for the season finale, MUCH better than Series 1's finale. I just felt awful after watching that one. This was better at least. Was cool to see him playing the game he picked up at the faire. Also lol at Haqua's jabs at it's artwork

Now it's onto Goddesses. Not sure what to expect from this series, but it looks like Kanon's back. All we need is Shiori and we're good to go. <3

Shiori is the reason for everything good.

Hanamaru Kindergarten 12

So... Mostly sweet and only a little bit creepy. Not that funny or moving, but there's lots of cuteness.

I give it 2.5/5 cosplaying Hii-chans:
5qdRkFr.png
5qdRkFr.png
jhVcHZY.png
hkxC8zs.png
hkxC8zs.png

I would rate it much higher purely based on the cute factor, but thats me.

:D !!

Ahhh Ritsu-chan so cuuuute

It's a new year, so let's try something different:

School Days 01

Haha.

You don't have to watch this, you know.

School Days 03

Snooping girls everywhere.

Heh. He wants to break up already?
School Days 04

Heh

One moment he wants to break up and the next he cops a feel, eh?

School Days 05

1 part pretty normal swimsuit episode and 1 part drama.

School Days 06

Haha. This guy...

Looks like things are about to get interesting

School Days 07

That's cold.

And yet she still wants to patch things up.

School Days 08

Why is this in here?

School Days 09

Man, folk dance is serious business.

And planning school festival, school festival and now last day of school festival episode?

School Days 10

Hey. He finally broke up with somebody.
Nevermind that he's now fooled around with two more girls in these last 2 episodes...

Those eyes at the end of the episode. This can't end well...

School Days 11

Creepy

Well... This guy just doesn't give a fuck

School Days 12

Ok, this wasn't that surprising or interesting. I knew the guy was
going to be killed, just not how. But I think one would probably be able to tell anyway. Those focus shots of knives in 2-3 episodes and that tea kettle just before things went down.

Oh, there's still 7 minutes left...

I see... *watches ending again* Well, that was certainly something. *watches ending again* Hahaha.

Well... For the ending and the funny parts (both the unintended and some of the intended) I give it 1/5 nice sunsets. Mostly this was just boring.

NeyBS02.png
bKJr5es.png
bKJr5es.png
bKJr5es.png
bKJr5es.png

Damn I was hoping for a more cathartic response but glad you took the time to watch this classic :D

So we talk about School Days quite frequently but I've actually been curious about one particular topic. And actually this can be said about any anime really but, did you guys ever rewatch School Days after your first time? Or more?

I watched it several times. Its only effective once though.

Apocalypse Zero

This was dumb, really really fucking dumb, but I think Eiken was still dumber. This is just bullshit Sentai hero on Go Nagai overdrive, and not really paced fast enough to cram as much awful into its two episodes.

Just now getting to this? Eiken and AZ are both pretty dumb but at least eiken isnt insulting.

What is Apocalypse Zero and why has it become the new fad lately? Is it list material? Should I watch it?

NO. Do not watch. Ever.

Angel's Egg

After stumbling upon Jexhius'/Icarus' thread about this film nearly two years ago, I became intrigued by the backstory behind the making of it. Until now, I had no experience with any of Mamoru Oshii's meticulously crafted animated work despite being familiar with many of them. So even after going into it expecting to see a heavily symbolic film, I was surprised by how dense it actually turned out to be on the first viewing.

Oshii clearly has an eye for framing, lighting and staging a scene to create the very oppressive atmosphere present here. The dense, unsettling imagery of the delapidated town and others makes it even moreso. It's a really beautiful film to look at. Yoshihiro Kanno's score does a great job of sustaining the strong mood and helps to create some really powerful scenes in the final 30 minutes.

Now from what I've gathered from memory and could piece together while watching it, the story seems to be about these two people representing different sides of innocence and faith; mainly focusing on the older man's impact on the young girl after the two meet. There were definitely some things that I wasn't quite sure what to make of like the fish/fishermen and the iconic floating eye, but the one I was most curious about was
the older man's motive for crushing the egg. Of course, one could see it as him crushing the girl's innocence, but in the context of its narrative, it seems a bit vague to me. All I was aware of was that he was curious of what was inside it. Maybe curiosity got the better of him?

Nonetheless, I thought it was a great film that I still seem to be endlessly fascinated by. Passion projects are pretty cool and stuff. I need to get a hold of that japanese Blu-ray.

Despite the pacing I quite enjoyed this little movie, and not purely because the angel girl is cute either. It was an interesting bit of imagery and didnt really slam you in the head with its message. It was well done without seeming pretentious.

http://www.bones.co.jp/test_wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/2014_nenga.jpg

Happy new year from BONES and happy 15th anniversary for them too!

Happy Bones Day!

Happy Halloween folks!

I resolve to watch Date A Live this year.

Yes watch Date a Live. Its a waifu-fest!

Unbreakable machine doll - 12

So this anime ended with some revelations the promise that things will get more complicated later ..and a whole lot of forshadowing .

I haven't read the books (yet) but i wasn't really ready for the reveal that the
shota was in fact a teenager female
. On one hand i hope it won't increase the harem , on the other hand i don't dislike this turn of events.
After all i like characters that are antagonist and think several moves in advance. He is in for the thrill of the game not for some noble cause so we might have a nice vilain for next season.

Overall the best thing that happenned for this anime was Yaya. too bad we got some really weird CG background scenes
Special mention to the ending theme "maware" that was alright too.

This anime would have been so much more pleasing if it had more money on production.

You said it all here because otherwise it was indeed disappointigly bland. At least I got a nice little figurine out of it!

Happy new year AnimeGAF!

SOON?!

Happy new year Zach-sama :)

Fate Kaleid Liner Prisma Ilya Special 03

yAxsVahl.jpg

RIP Shirou.

The best thing to happen to Shirou.

How can you say you love your sister if you won't eat won't let her eat you?

This show is going to be the best thing ever.

The World God Only Knows OVA Tenri Special

I still don't like how the anime skipped like 6 other girls. I understand adaptations can only do so much, but more than quick little cameos would have been great :(

Tenri is pretty cute, but Shiori does shy better! I liked Diana quite a lot, looks like that's going to continue right into Goddesses.

Wasn't all that impressed with Nora. I they needed another persoanlity type out of the Demons. Her buddy was pretty funny too, reminded me of Asaba from Kare Kano xD

Oh and shoutout to childhood full of game gears. haha.

Shiori does shy better than all other pretenders. She is the supreme goddess of shyness.

sasuke_91

How can you question cajun's duty?!
This person seems to be quite... popular.

Hi Cajun, nice to meet you :)

Mushishi Special

This was great. It was twice the length of a normal episode, yet felt so short. The Soundtrack is as beautiful as ever, the scenery is even more detailed and... green! I don't know if I can wait another 3 months for the next season.
I need more Mushishi! Now! >_<

Oh, look, Crunchyroll finally announced that they're streaming World Conquest Zvezda Plot. I've ONLY BEEN WAITING FOR THAT ANNOUNCEMENT FOR OVER A FUCKING WEEK, YOU TWATS. :p

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 5

Oh shit!

Pretty interesting to see dynamics at play behind the enemy. They look human but there's so much more. Can't wait for the Yamato to just go, 'fuck it!' and wipe them out.

Welp, I abandoned my plans to watch Yuyushiki and have opted for Yu-Sibu instead. I think this is working out much better. Yuyushiki just fell into the same issue that Going Home Club had, its just too directionless, too random. Yeah, there are funny moments and funny bits, but without some overarching story I just end up getting bored.

edit - I will say the Captain Picard character in Yu-Sibu is way too out of place for a medieval fantasy-derived world. That guy is just weird.

cajunator

Banned
Was that TLR-Darkness popsicle.gif from this year?

That gif is amazing for its shamelessness. And amazingly NSFW.

Yuushibu - 02 & 03

They just spend half an episode on how to deal with a deffective product , right ?

Anyway the animation for the fights were kinda nice.

Fino does have some potential. I'm surprised.

Fino is one of the cutest characters from 2013. shes just precious. I wish they didnt sexualize her so much, thougH I can understand why they did. but she seems too innocent and sweet for that.

Garden of Words is alright, but the schmaltz is kinda overbearing. Wish Shinkai had cut out about ten minutes of it, but... it's Shinkai I suppose. Beautiful movie though.

This sums up all of Shinkais movies really, but thats his thing so its fine.

The World God Only Knows - Magical Star Kanon 100%

fiI9LXq.png

Kanon-chan!!!

Well, this was adorable. I loved Kanon's songs before, but was always indifferent in the girl. It's always fun to see Elsie without Keima. Although Keima's little cameo was funny. "Next time, you're waiting in line! xD"

More cute songs and really nice animation made this a worthwhile watch.

Looks like it's time to start Season 3, Goddesses!

Kanon is pretty adorable but for some reason I dontl ike her as much as the other girls.

I never started SAO.

Stay free.

This is the best option. stay strong!

Yuushibu - 04

Fino cuteness and foolishness is really the driving factor of this show ..but for some reason our main protagonist had preverted thoughts during this episode.

I guess Lam is a demon too ? at least that's what i'm inclined to believe after this episode !

I love the big store muscling in on little store thing the show has going and being set in a magical world its more fun for it.

Voted in the AoTY thread though I need to get through Battleship Yamamoto since I think it can be a contender to AoT which is at the top of my list right now.

Good man, I had to stop around 14 or 15.

Stay pure Hito.

RIP Duckroll.

Stopping at 15 seems for the best. You get the gist of what the show originally wanted to do and then stop before it gets too insipid.

Almost done with TWGOK and thinking about watching Steins;Gate now. Then again, a while ago someone said wait for the Visual Novel game instead. Is this good advice, or should I just watch the anime first?

Watch the anime. Its really really good. The story is easy to follow and though it takes a bit to get going, when it does HOLY SHIT. also Kurisu da goddess.

Thanks everyone. Maybe I'll just watch a couple episodes as a sample and see if I wanna go from there.

Theres an event that happens around the halfway point. you may want to stick with it till then. Its worth all the setup!
Things that happen in the show all have a reason even seemingly trivial ones.

Yuushibu - 06

Loooool

i have a serious idea on where the plot is going now.

That declaration of war , that relentless and unforgiving ennemy. Excellent.

This anime is getting better by each new episode.

( so glad i'm watching it in a row ...it would have annoyed me to wait 1 week to see the rest. )

Congrats on starting this joyous series. Enjoy it!

wait wait ... you're writting a new show to present in some Novel competition in japan , right ?

RIGHT ?

-------------------
Yuushibu - 07
Again an excellent episode.
Slime action was great , shaddy business money was spot-on .." it'll cost money for cancellation!" damn i ate when this happens IRL.

Good job Leon team.
Nice job Fino dad !

Great episode as usual.

This show gets so lewd sometimes. Is better than Maou sama though.

I too bought the cheap BDs from Amazon. Did it for Chiaki Omigawa and rewatching purposes.

Also anime-original ending. That should explain it all. And what DTL said.

Hell I bought Eureka Seven AO for Chiaki. Im sorry corvy.

@SDBurton:

Have you ever watched Miyuki-chan in Wonderland?

He needs to watch this seriously.

so duders, how did Golden Time turn out? Heard about the ghost thing but is that like show-killing or just some quirk that you can gloss over?

So far its mediocre but Kokos presence makes it worth it. shes so adorable in that clingy insane way. But Ilike that sorta thing.

Because some people, you know, actually watched the show and determined they liked it based on what they watched?

I'd like to think most of us aren't Unknown Soldier, but I wonder sometimes.

Unknown is a cool cat. I have a Ps4 because of him. No hate.

Is Spice and Wolf and Initial D worth picking up? I see it's on Netflix and need something new to watch now that I'm done with X-files.

Spice and wolf definitely! Holo and Lawrence have a special chemistry and are just perfect together. Plus I like economics. and not talking about Holos economics either.

wait some people like SAO better than log horizon?

This happens. I dont understand it myself.

I've also saw someone claim that Max Heart was their favorite Precure season. I am no longer surprised by these things.

This also happens and I really dont. Max Heart is outdone in every way by Futari Wa, to the point of being entirely redundant and boring. Its literally the same show with a worse character and horrible animation.

Yozakura Quartet Hana no Uta 11

Witch looks cool, pretty low-key episode sakuga-wise but still had some expecially the ghost stuff.
Pantsu still stronk.

Dat Ao~
I did like the sakuga stuff Ive seen so far. Its a fun action show that paces well. Ive not gotten bored.

Hyperdimension Neptunia

I hate myself for not picking this up over the summer when it was running. Instead I tortured myself by saying there weren't many good shows on. i was wrong. So many hidden gems from over the summer.

I really enjoyed this one. Characters were fun and enjoyable, there was a story I could follow and lots of comedy.

5/5 On the killer rin index

I havent finished this, mostly cause its not on CR. I hate Funis stream site.

It's a haremshit/magical girlfriend show... does it matter? lol

These shows pretty much give you what you expect at this point. no more no less. they are what they are and you either love it or hate it.
No surprises.

All my hnnnnnghhhhhhhhhs.

But I can totally kill a ghost with a bug net!

...What do you mean I've been playing too much Link Between Worlds?

I endorse this opinion.

I watched the first couple episodes of Log Horizon and found them pretty boring all round. SAO kept me consistently entertained. So yes.

Yeah that show is adorable incarnate.

WOOP WOOP ASS TOO FAT - 1~5

THIS IS AMAZING. Seriously, it's really good. The characters are great (Nibutani is waifu material), the comedy is great, and the drama is okay (It only started on ep 5 so I can't say much about it).
That fight between Rikka and Tooka was AMAZING. And Nibutani + Sanaee is the best thing.

gybk.gif

Touka is best followed by Nibu. The characters are all pretty likeable though. Definitely not the weak point of the series.

Yuyushiki 1

This was fun and cute. A lot of the scenes are pretty short and rapid fire, so even if the a segment doesn't work they move past it quickly. I guess that pace will be maintained since it's a 4koma adaptation. There were a couple of nice looking cuts in there as well.

Clapping teacher was best. There was more yuri than I expected, probably just because pink hair is an idiot. Purple/Blue hair needs to learn that fingering an LCD screen is never funny. Death to the opponent.

ITs nothing remarkable but a fun light series to cleanse the palate.

Anime has taught me that the true reason Japan is suffering from declining birth rates is because their entire female population is now lesbian.

This doesnt sound like a bad thing to me.

Don't say I didn't warn you all about Witch Craft Works.

Actually these impressions are making me want to see it. I love witchcraft stories and characters. LWA may or may not have osmething to do with it.

Talking about lesbians. Sakura Trick will air next week - no subtext but just the purest form of love!

sweet sweet yuri. Im looking forward to it.

Mewmewshiki Specials 01-06 -END-

That was a purrific short. I was quite meowmazed by how much content they meonaged to fit into this kind of short.
The CG was quite pawssable too.

I nearly died watching this. Its dangerous.

Yuushibu - 09
Day off , first paycheck , first shopping !

and what should have happenned finally happens.

Fino in a dress was the big surprise for this episode ... +1

Raul getting in his world was not cool -1

Misunderstandings , misunderstandings everywhere +1

There are always several toys to collect in those little games +1

Cliffanger ending on fino after she was
assaulted
+ 4

Damn good episode .

That dress oh my god. I need a figurine of her like that. So cute.

rrJinUm.jpg

I can't blame animators from not even trying, honestly.

It does seem like the stalest of premises at this point. and they always sit at the back, third from the end against the window.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Otherwise, it was a pretty decent episode, bunch of threads laid out that will all hopefully be resolved by the end, it's not quite as attention grabbing as say TTGL ep 1 but i wasn't really expecting that so it's all good

what wasn't good was the movement of the ships :(

Uhm. Any other impressions?

Here's duckroll's. (Most people are calling it by its English name, Pilot's Love Song.)

Otherwise, it was a pretty decent episode, bunch of threads laid out that will all hopefully be resolved by the end, it's not quite as attention grabbing as say TTGL ep 1 but i wasn't really expecting that so it's all good

what wasn't good was the movement of the ships :(

The CG in Yamato 2199 episode 1 is by far the worst; it gets much better as the series progresses.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 26

Of all the BS, pulled it out of my ass things the show has done, the one takes the cake. I simply cannot let this go unpunished.

Can I really in good faith give this AOTY? It feels like it decided to take a dump in my mouth right at the end.

There are may things that stories do that annoy me: characters who have amnesia, harems, voyeuristic camera and other forms of fan service, meaningless enemy of the week formats. But this one is perhaps the greatest sin, which has spoiled another anime I greatly loved also
Clannad AS
. I don't know why they do this. Don't they appreciate the sanctity of anything? Don't they understand the human condition and the struggles we go through to not trivialise such a thing like this?

All I ask is that Anime try to be honest when telling their stories. Stop pandering and feeding people sweet poison to rot their brains. Stop titillating and treating women as pure objects of desire. But now I feel I must add another:
Stop trivialising death by pulling out bullshit at the end to revive characters.

Hamtaro the Animation 01
a7K59FH.jpg

What the fuck is this? I thought it was about hamsters and friendship.

All jokes aside it was a pretty solid first episode. It barely explained the premise of the world and powers of the minimum holders and our main cast, leaving the viewers wanting more. I always did say a little mystery and vagueness goes a long way for keeping people interested.

The cast of characters are tv tropes once again. We have Glasses Super Saiyan Sasuke and Neku Sora Naruto as our leads. I appreciate the fact they're partners from the get go instead of the courtship these other shows had to do where they basically fall in guy love. There's also a dandere, a moe girl with a cat's tail, typical supporting clown, and serious adult.

Best character design by far is overly buff black white beard bartender. Now there's someone I don't see often.

I'm left with wanting more. I'm sure people like cajun and other moe girl lovers here will appreciate the two female leads. And there's also that one member that loves yaoi. I'm sure the pretty boys will be to the liking.

cnet128

Banned
Hang on a minute…

I never started SAO.

Stay free.

This is the best option. stay strong!

All my hnnnnnghhhhhhhhhs.

But I can totally kill a ghost with a bug net!

...What do you mean I've been playing too much Link Between Worlds?

I endorse this opinion.

I watched the first couple episodes of Log Horizon and found them pretty boring all round. SAO kept me consistently entertained. So yes.

Yeah that show is adorable incarnate.

…Are those comments both about SAO? I'm getting mixed messages here >.>

Of all the BS, pulled it out of my ass things the show has done, the one takes the cake. I simply cannot let this go unpunished.

Can I really in good faith give this AOTY? It feels like it decided to take a dump in my mouth right at the end.

There are may things that stories do that annoy me: characters who have amnesia, harems, voyeuristic camera and other forms of fan service, meaningless enemy of the week formats. But this one is perhaps the greatest sin, which has spoiled another anime I greatly loved also
Clannad AS
. I don't know why they do this. Don't they appreciate the sanctity of anything? Don't they understand the human condition and the struggles we go through to not trivialise such a thing like this?

All I ask is that Anime try to be honest when telling their stories. Stop pandering and feeding people sweet poison to rot their brains. Stop titillating and treating women as pure objects of desire. But now I feel I must add another:
Stop trivialising death by pulling out bullshit at the end to revive characters.

Well it would be BS the premise of
reviving Earth with the Driver. If you can revive a planet, reviving a person is not impossible

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Better than Fate/Zero or Gundam Unicorn prices, at least.
It's around the same price as Fate/Zero if not more expensive with shit all in the way of extras or even a dub. At least Aniplex releases attempt to justify their prices.

Hang on a minute…

…Are those comments both about SAO? I'm getting mixed messages here >.>

I found SAO entertaining as well. I was entertained in how bad the characters and cringeworthy the story was. Truly. Then it went of the deep end and entertainment turned into masochism.

Clannad AS

Kodai did not deserve that shit. I'm sorry that would be too heartbreaking.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I enjoyed Sword Art Online, but purely because it was a fun show to discuss and take the piss out of. If I was watching on my lonesome without this thread I'd… well I'd likely not be alive to post this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom