• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The White House is Building a Budget: PBS, the NEA, & the NDC Ain't In It

Status
Not open for further replies.
18CUTS-01-master768.jpg

pictured: recently confirmed White House Budget Director Mick Mulvaney

The Corporation for Public Broadcasting
The Legal Services Corporation
AmeriCorps
The National Endowments for the Arts
The Office of National Drug Control Policy
The Export-Import Bank.

Outta here.

”A balanced budget is fine," Mr. Trump said in an interview with Fox News last month. ”But sometimes you have to fuel the well in order to really get the economy going."

He added: ”I want a balanced budget eventually. But I want to have a strong military."

The president's hope to increase military spending, shared by many Republicans, will probably be at the center of the looming budget battle in Congress. Funding for the current fiscal year is set to expire on April 28. The administration is expected to make a supplemental request before then for money to go to the military — and possibly a wall on the Mexican border.

Cutting all these programs would save 2.5 billion on the year. The country is expected to spend 4 trillion this year.

Meanwhile this Mr Cheeto is spending millions getting the secret service to protec the building he owns cause he doesn't want to move his wife and kid in on our dime.

geomon

Fuel the well? Does this stupid motherfucker mean prime the pump?

By the way, he said he'd privatize PBS in January. Can't have the public informed about anything not in his twitter feed. Welcome to the Turd Reich y'all.

Aside from stoking isolated flames, how does building the military help the economy? And cutting NEA & PBS? Sure, fuck education. It's not like DeVos isn't going to do enough damage.

WedgeX

Banned
Fuck this. I was proud to serve as an Americorps*VISTA. And I started my service during W's last months.

Can't believe I took my oath to uphold the Constitution more seriously at the time then does our current President.

Chichikov

Cutting the office of drug control. Trump sure is helping all those red state heroin addicts who voted for him.
The ONDCP is fucking garbage and I'm all for scratching it. Yeah, it's a broken clock type of situation, and yeah, it unlikely that under the Trump administration we'll see any serious change to the stupid ass war on drugs, but I ain't gonna cry over those idiots.

The rest is of course awful, but at least they're not going for a balanced budget.

Aside from stoking isolated flames, how does building the military help the economy? And cutting NEA & PBS? Sure, fuck education. It's not like DeVos isn't going to do enough damage.

It won't. He's going to blow up deficits and all we're gonna get out of it is richer rich people and a larger military to parade around in the streets.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
PBS, a wonderful non profit bastion of culture being cut to add a droplet of funding to the military machine.

Republicans have been trying to cut PBS forever guys. So if you're pissed about this hold them all accountable in addition to Trump's dumb orange fuckin ass.

ascii42

Depends on how they build it up. They can create jobs directly by hiring more people (though the hiring freeze kind of kills that), or indirectly by spending more money with contractors who will then create jobs. As for whether it helps any more than spending that money on these programs? Couldn't say.

I just called earlier today to donate a car to GPB (Georgia's PBS network). I should consider also setting up for regular contributions.

adj_noun

Stephen Moore, another Heritage Foundation economist who advised Mr. Trump during his campaign, acknowledged that powerful constituencies were behind many of the programs that are on the chopping block. But he said now that Republicans are finally in control of the government, they must make a valiant effort to fulfill the promises they have been making to voters for years.

“I think it’s an important endeavor to try to get rid of things that are unnecessary,” Mr. Moore said. “The American public has a lot of contempt for how government is run in Washington, in no small part because there is so much waste

Steve Bell, a former staff director of the Senate Budget Committee who is now with the Bipartisan Policy Center, said the programs identified in the memo are standard targets for Republican budget-cutters but of little significance in the government’s financial picture.

“It’s sad in a way because those programs aren’t causing the deficit,” Mr. Bell said. “These programs don’t amount to a hill of beans.”

None of this makes any goddamn sense.

mike6467

Cutting the office of drug control. Trump sure is helping all those red state heroin addicts who voted for him.

Don't worry! The DEA will get more funding to make sure that we keep serving the interests of big ph....I mean, American...the interests of Americans. Which is to stay pain free! Who here likes pain?!? Liberals, that's who, they want you to have all the pain, the worst pain. We fix that pain with the best medicines, the best! Addiction? How can you be addicted to freedom? Freedom from pain! MAGA!!!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

Culture wars, as far as PBS goes. It amounts to, as stated, beans, but its been stigmatized as some liberal leaning channel on the right. I'm sure Trump sees this as an easy way to get some points from his base.

So he's going to cut those, redistribute their portion to military and then add more to the military on top of that? Like I know that's basically been Republicans idea of budget balancing since the 60s but I don't understand how Republican voters moderate or otherwise see that as being "fiscally conservative".

Linkura

Fucking disgusting. We have 2 AmeriCorps programs run through my employer. They help so many people and it's a great way for young people to get their foot in the door with some great experience. Fuck Trump and his cronies.

Damaniel

Banned
I knew PBS was going to be defunded. What about NPR?

The simple answer to this question:

- Does it help, enrich, or otherwise make peoples' lives better? Yes, it will be defunded.
- Does it harm minorities and the poor, or create a more effective way to kill brown people? If so, then it's getting a much bigger budget.

ascii42

I knew PBS was going to be defunded. What about NPR?

CPB funds NPR as well, so it would be defunded if PBS is.

edit: found this on Wikipedia
During the 1970s and early 1980s, the majority of NPR funding came from the federal government. Steps were taken during the 1980s to completely wean NPR from government support, but the 1983 funding crisis forced the network to make immediate changes. According to CPB, in 2009 11.3% of the aggregate revenues of all public radio broadcasting stations were funded from federal sources, principally through CPB;[35] in 2012 10.9% of the revenues for Public Radio came from federal sources.

BruinsMtB

Banned
This will mostly only hurt his poorer base. Member stations in major cities will be able to make up the loss of funding, it's a pretty small portion of their budget already, and WGBH does the production for most of the PBS syndicated shows. What will likely die is all of the smaller affiliate networks that are going to lose 20-40% of their funding and will be unable to make-up that loss in their low-income markets.

I'd say another factor is the abstract of 'balancing the books'. He's increasing military spending, so he axes multiple arts programs. Now, if you list those things as seperate objects, there's more of the various art expenses, thus one might be suggested to believe that even if you assume them as secondary to the military's budget - which everything is in the US - they might be put together to make something comparable. Thus, weening them off must balance the books.

But they don't, because US military spending is ludicrous, and the mathematics doesn't align. It's merely for the sake of appearances.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I bet we could fund all of these with trump not taking a few weekends in florida
;p

Speaking of which is not included in the budget so no more florda Trump!

badrang

Our family's businesses recently incorporated so we could use export-import bank services. My rage would be boundless if the GOP defended it.

Steel

Banned
Hilariously, if Trump just didn't take so many vacations and trips to Trump tower in New York, he'd save enough money to not have to cut any of these things.

*sigh*

LQX

Wow, I fucking grew up watching PBS NY. Probably the only non-cable station that carries anything educational. It was a blessing in the age of shitty internet that was slowly developing. I think they will be okay though with private funding.

ICO_SotC

Republicans cutting things that benefit the public while not doing a damn thing to help the economy, just so they can brag about how responsible they are by making the cuts themselves, goes back decades.

Trump is cover for this.

Nelo Ice

Banned
The simple answer to this question:

- Does it help, enrich, or otherwise make peoples' lives better? Yes, it will be defunded.
- Does it harm minorities and the poor, or create a more effective way to kill brown people? If so, then it's getting a much bigger budget.
Sounds about right. Anything good Republicans want gone.
That's why I've stopped referring all these terrible things to Trump issues. Gotta make it clear, Republicans are the enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom