• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The White House is Building a Budget: PBS, the NEA, & the NDC Ain't In It

Status
Not open for further replies.
Republicans cutting things that benefit the public while not doing a damn thing to help the economy, just so they can brag about how responsible they are by making the cuts themselves, goes back decades.

Trump is cover for this.

Gotta make the military bigger. Who needs free, informative, unbiased reporting?

I would love to see Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon go to bat financially for PBS.

That is a great suggestion. Take it to Twitter and start a hashtag.

mj1108

God, what has PBS done to deserve this.

PBS educates kids.

Can't be spending money on that.

Now if PBS was indoctrinating the kids into being "good lil' Christians", then it would not only survive but probably get an increase in funding.

Seeing AmeriCorps getting cut from the budget makes me wonder what will happen to Peace Corps.

Republicans don't like Peace, so they'll probably be gone too.....or renamed to War Corps.

HotHamBoy

Liberals and minorities always play the victim but Christian values are under attack. - our government

Some shit is just for the rich..y'all need to get used to it.

8503344_orig.jpg

ICO_SotC

I would love to see Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon go to bat financially for PBS.

That puts PBS at the mercy of corporate interests more than it already is. If a big funding company feels threatened by a story that may air on PBS News Hour, they would have more pull to get the story buried. PBS being solely funded by private groups, no matter how noble their intent is, isn't PBS.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
PBS, the NEA, and the NDC are like an infinitesimal part of the budget. Cutting them saves no money at all, it's purely a culture war thing on the GOP's part.

That puts PBS at the mercy of corporate interests more than it already is. If a big funding company feels threatened by a story that may air on PBS News Hour, they would have more pull to get the story buried. PBS being solely funded by private groups, no matter how noble their intent is, isn't PBS.

If Disney can't bury a bad story on ABC, or Universal on NBC, I wouldn't be too worried about that. The bigger worry with PBS is will their lineup be affected, because they show a lot of stuff that normally wouldn't get on air that has cultural value but not monetary value. I mean, for instance, who is going to want to air the Mark Twain Award ceremony if PBS goes under?

Cyrano

Government could literally save trillions by just cutting even a portion of the ridiculous amount of funding the military gets, but instead they decide to cut the programs that actually benefit a huge number of people.

C.Mongler

The NEA accounts for .004% of the budget. Killing it will hurt those in rural communities the hardest, aka the Republican voter block, shuttering local arts organizations nearly overnight. Thousands of jobs will be lost. It's a pointless endeavor that only serves to flex political might that has way more to lose than there is to be gained.

It is my sincere hope that whenever cutting PBS comes up, that someone just pulls out an old CRT and starts playing this video.

I'm not american.
I don't have a clue what PBS actually does, or who this man is.
But i'm crying. Make this guy a saint.

So wonderful. I just feel that the current GOP would lack the soul to actually be moved by that speech. But damn, I am going to go to bed feeling all misty eyed and great because of Mr. Rogers.

Thank you for posting that.

gaiadyne

AmeriCorps is shocking to me

Paul Ryan's been trying to get rid of Americorps for years. Now he'll finally be able to do it with this Republican dream budget and no possibility of opposition. As an Americorps NCCC alumni this is really upsetting since it was one of the best experiences I've had and it is a real shame that other people won't be able to take advantage of the opportunity

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
And again, as the OP says, remember this is all to save $2.5 billion out of a $4 trillion budget. This is like someone who makes $50,000 a year deciding to cancel a $30 yearly subscription and saying that will solve all their financial problems. It's purely to harm the people who don't vote for them.

Xe4

Banned
Cutting PBS is going to bite him in the ass more than any of these departments, as important as they may be.

Don't fuck with Sesame Street man, it's a lesson Romney had to learn, and it's one Trunp will have to. The rest will go a lot easier, though none without some resistance.

And once all it's gone, any Liberal policy will be tough to enact without raising taxes.

It's devious and almost always slanted against any future democratic reform. The cycle continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom