• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The White House is Building a Budget: PBS, the NEA, & the NDC Ain't In It

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascii42

It is my sincere hope that whenever cutting PBS comes up, that someone just pulls out an old CRT and starts playing this video.

From the comments:
Fun fact: the hearings were held with the intention of cutting the $9 million budget in half. After he spoke with the senate, they were so taken with the passion he had for children's public television, and the potential it had to enlighten and educate children everywhere, that they ended up increasing the budget to $22 million.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
My kids adore PBS. I'm going to flip out if this is hurt.

Here's hoping they can sustain on public donation.

Ryuuroden

Its bad that npr and pbs will loss funding but their funding from the government is a pittance now anyways. If anything this will free npr from government interference and threats of loss of funding. It might eliminate some poorer rural areas from coverage but it might not. The more educated rural population has access to satellite radio and the internet and the poorer white rural class is a lost cause anyways. My main concern is rural minorities being able to get access to legitimate local radio news. Npr itself gets no govt. Funding. Each of the local affiliate stations are what get one funding which usually accounts for 10 percent of their total funding. Of their total budget they pay 30% to 40% to npr itself to carry national programming like prairy home companion and on the media, etc. So that is how the main programming npr gets some of its operating costs indirectly from the govt. It still amounts to less than 10%.

For example, Ohio has almost 30 local affiliate npr stations each producing local content in addition to broadcasting national content. Npr can cut costs while still covering the entire state by consolidating some of those regional affiliates into single stations and eliminate the local stations in low population areas but keep the radio frequencies. This is where I think local news radio will suffer but all the important national programming will survive. I think local news will be fine too but it will be more affiliated with larger cities like ABC, NBC and CBS regional stations are.

Its a mixed bag but republicans have been after the cpb for a long time and have largely removed most of its govt funding already that npr should survive without it and republicans will be sad to see that it won't disappear.

Dang. I think a lot of us grew up watching our local PBS stations. Can always look to it for some positivity or something really interesting like the travel shows.

Ryuuroden

Why did you lump in the Export-Import Bank? It's a corporate welfare/crony capitalism initiative.

Every other country in the world has an export import bank. This is probably the most ridiculous of the eliminated programs if you want to promote American goods for export as the orange menace so openly says he wants to do. You want to know why European manufacturing stays competitive and yet have better benifits and pay over American manufacturing jobs? They have a strong export import bank. Hell, general electric moved their turbine manufacturing to France after the us bank lost its charter in 2015 so it could no longer get financing for places like Indonesia to buy their turbines manufactured in America.

HotHamBoy

Halp+me+i+ll+masturbate+to+you+later_8e5ea4_4668463.png

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It’s Official: Trump Wants to Kill PBS and the National Endowment for the Arts

Welp.

Interesting bit:
The move is no doubt motivated the by Republicans’ well-known fiscal conservatism: Trump’s three consecutive weekend visits to Mar-a-Lago are a steal at just $10 million in taxpayer dollars, for instance, and the First Lady’s decision to live in Trump Tower rather than the White House is only estimated to cost twice the NEA’s budget per year.

Oh and:
Sesame Street - Grouch Apprentice with Donald Grump

TylerD

My kids adore PBS. I'm going to flip out if this is hurt.

Here's hoping they can sustain on public donation.

I'm 33 and I adore PBS. I rediscovered it about 5 years back and it is my most watched channel.

Fuck them for trying to defund PBS. As far as I'm concerned, it's a national treasure.

Lkr

time to bombard trump's hotels with phone calls about this. as long as he is invested in business, all of his businesses are fair game

The US military is extremely weak, i'm glad he's going to strengthen it. That was my main issue with the US. Everything else seems fine to me. Yup that will solve it all.

border

I thought he was going to run America like a business?

It seems like he's already given up on the idea of fiscal solvency.

"Yeah, someday it might be nice to turn a profit, but for right now we need to bleed money on extravagant security measures."

Blader

I really don't see the point. All these programs that are on the chopping block don't amount to a hill of beans in the grand scheme of things.

Because just cutting programs makes him seem fiscally conservative; bonus points if the the things being cut are favorites of liberals. It doesn't really matter what the actual amount of money being "saved" is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom