• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G4 canceling X-Play/AOTS

Lock/mock if old.

We've heard that G4's major video-game and geek-culture shows, including X-Play and Attack of the Show will be cancelled today by the network. A source close to the situation says that it's not clear if the shows will last through the year or be cancelled immediately. The rumor is that the network will shift to something more like an "Esquire" or "GQ" channel. This aligns with reports that NBC Universal was looking to rebrand the channel as alifestyle network focused on "the modern male."

http://kotaku.com/5955278/crisis-at-g4-studios-gaming-shows-will-be-cancelled-source-says

Patrick Klepek via Twitter
Can confirm I've heard this. RT @stephentotilo: http://bit.ly/S1tPdG Source: G4 canceling X-Play, AOTS. Gaming programming ending.

Mesoian

All Cops, all the time.

Cops and Cheaters.

Seriously though, it's not even the most eggregious attempt of taking a network and dumbing it down dramatically for the easy dollar. Just look at The Learning Channel; part of me is bewildered how most of those producers haven't been arrested, let lone are successful...

...What the hell was it focused on before!?

If I remember correctly, its going to be a USA/NBC equivalent of Spike. They redid USA under the banner of "Blue Skies" campaign and were successful. I imagine they are going to have a similar theme albeit something like "Dude-Bro Shows"

FUCK NO! I LOVED THOSE!

Just kidding, both of those shows were complete shit. I don't normally watch TV but it's good to see that shows considered as a joke are getting cancelled.

Came to make a Cops joke but was beaten.

This might just be the most unintentionally funny joke here.

What the heck is a "modern male"?

jcpenney17.jpg

DMeisterJ

Banned
Poor G4.

A gaming-related network could work. Shame the formula hasn't been found yet. There's so many niche channels, I find it hard to believe that a gaming one couldn't work.

ezekial45

Banned
Fuck, i'm really sorry to hear that. X-Play may have been altered drastically over the years, but the previous incarnations were fantastic and great fun. Morgan Webb and Adam Sessler were great hosts of the show.

Diablos

X-Play canceled? Leo Laporte gets the last laugh while he does whatever the hell he wants with his Internet television network, TWiT.

Meh, I don't even know why people want Games on TV so badly. The old model is kinda dying out. Honestly you can get better content by subscribing to a few youtube channels.

So is it safe to say NBC is turning G4 into their male version of Bravo? Going for the whole GQ/Esquire angle they're gonna have to dump Cheaters/Cops/Campus PD or just shuffle them into the dark recesses of the night.

This will be unfortunate come E3 time because I sometimes liked their coverage over Spike's. A couple of sevelopers seemed like they enjoyed the G4 interviews/showings more than Spike.

Fracas

#fuckonami
So wait, what is G4 now?

Cops and Ninja Warrior 24/7? With some random Arnold Schwarzenegger action films thrown in?

When does this rebranding occur?

Ponn

Banned
Poor G4.

A gaming-related network could work. Shame the formula hasn't been found yet. There's so many niche channels, I find it hard to believe that a gaming one couldn't work.

They were on the right path, the channel was just ran and decisons made by really horrible people. Loved cinematech, Xplay and AoTS predecessor. Electric playground. They should have partnered with GTTV, kept shows up to date, expanded their programming and maybe run the occasional video game related movie. Instead it was made a dumping ground.

Top Bottom