• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G4 canceling X-Play/AOTS

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
We're pretty much seeing the end of "special interest" networks. After all, why cater to a specific niche when you can just go for the easy lowest common denominator dollars? Look at TLC, History Channel, SyFy, MTV, and several others. The internet and streaming services are stealing viewers away from traditional networks in droves, so in turn networks have to appeal to the broadest range possible just to stay afloat. Traditional television is becoming more and more irrelevant.

Gomu Gomu

...What the hell was it focused on before!?

y6vhb.jpg

And I think now:
Ihev6.jpg

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Geez, I immediately recognized that top pic as being from Clueless.

I am the modern male.

An-Det

The writing was on the wall after Sessler and Pereira left. It's a shame, but was inevitable since the the people running the channel had no idea how to do a 'gaming channel'.

BD1

Banned
I thought for sure Vince McMahon would end up owning G4. I know he's been trying to launch his own TV channel, and I believe he's a partner with NBC.

That channel died the second they cancelled G4tv.com for me.

I miss Laura Foy ;_;

This. 1000x this. Laura Foy and Tiny Wood being trapped on the opposite ends of a Microsoft campus forced to talk about horrible boring things like Windows Phone brings a tear to my eye.

Always watched Xplay and AotS when having dinner.

G4 was great when they aired Cinematech, Filter, Xplay etc. I use to get super stoned and watch hours of Cinematech. That was such an unappreciated show.

I've seen this coming for a while. It comes as no surprise.

I'd say I'll miss X-Play, but it hasn't been the same since Adam Sessler left. I'll miss Morgan Webb, anyways.

Poor G4.

A gaming-related network could work. Shame the formula hasn't been found yet. There's so many niche channels, I find it hard to believe that a gaming one couldn't work.

Niche networks are like radioactive isotopes. Over time, they shed all their niche programming, until all that remains is a mass composed entirely of reruns and reality shows.

Kajiba

Gq channel you say...

I stop looking at g4 a long time ago though. Hope everyone on the channel who works there end up okay.

jmdajr

Well that's that.

No Adam, and Kevin left. I mean..it was over really. Wonder where Morgan and the other cuties will go.

Icons was a good show as well. They had some good shows back ten but I disagree that even a well made network about gaming would be successful.

Kamille

Was inevitable, but I still hate to see it go (AOTS). I stopped watching X-Play quite awhile ago. Morgan became a little much for me to tolerate after awhile. But I still tune into AOTS. Gonna miss my daily dose of Candace Bailey and Sara Underwood. :-( Hope they both land another TV gig soon.

Sean

Banned
Poor G4.

A gaming-related network could work. Shame the formula hasn't been found yet. There's so many niche channels, I find it hard to believe that a gaming one couldn't work.

I honestly don't think so, not in the days of widespread broadband.

You can get much more in-depth gaming coverage online, instantly, without annoying commercial breaks and stupid hosts etc. And there's greater interaction (chat room alongside the video etc) online too. I don't really see what a television channel could bring to the table.

evanmisha

I can see the Weekend Update already.

The internet is abuzz with rumors that eponymous G4 video game news show 'X-Play', and nerd lifestyle talkshow 'Attack of the Show', are on the road to cancellation. "Oh, no!" said no one.

This rumor aligns with reports that NBC Universal is looking to rebrand G4 as a network focused on the 'lifestyle of the modern male'. Dane Cook has yet to officially comment on the news, but sources say he is, quote, 'deeply saddened'.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, I guess Morgan Webb is being fired or is now a "fashion consultant" or something.

kyoya

Well, the writing was literally on the office building folks:

Sing along folks!: "One of these things is not like the other...."

r

My heart goes out to the people at Xplay and AOTS, although I didn't keep up with the shows, I still followed them on itunes and G4.com for years. The cast grew on me and I will miss them.

Top Bottom