• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1upshow (Zelda review)

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
jwj442 said:
Heh.

Seriously, though - I'd like a link to some of the media.

i'd start digging through old gamespot/ign footage and images if i were you--i remember some of the stuff from e3 two years ago (i think it was two) hilighted the gamecube control scheme.

Adagio

No. I think it leads to the item screen...

gpjn9.png

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
wow that's very lame GC version inferior confirmed.

waggling in the Wii version freed a button so I guess thats why you can hold 4 items instead of 2

Xdrive05

AniHawk said:
So it really only has two items.

Laaaaaaaaaaaame.

Gamecube version supporters will be quick to point out that it's two ACTIVE buttons VS Wii version's one active button. As you know, on Wii the d-pad assigns the item to the B button, with B being the "active" item. So on GC you can apparently switch between items without having to do the extra click to reassign the active item.

The downside being that you'll be accessing the item menu more frequently to get a "third" item that would normally just be on the d-pad.

AniHawk

Xdrive05 said:
Gamecube version supporters will be quick to point out that it's two ACTIVE buttons VS Wii version's one active button. As you know, on Wii the d-pad assigns the item to the B button, with B being the "active" item. So on GC you can apparently switch between items without having to do the extra click to reassign the active item.

The downside being that you'll be accessing the item menu more frequently to get a "third" item that would normally just be on the d-pad.

Accessing the menu constantly is far more tedious than selecting from a small menu on the d-pad to the hot button.

That still SUCKS because even TWW had three active buttons at the top.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I prefer that to having to constantly access the menu screen to switch items

choc_cake

Banned
AniHawk said:
I think comparing a game you haven't played to a game you have played to prove a point of some sort is pretty stupid.

/sarcasm on
Yeah, because playing Zelda in previous forms isn't at all similar to TP.
/sarcasm off

I also watched gamespot play it for quite a while and just by playing it for an hour I could clearly see the problems.

I am sure it is a great game and it still would have been given a high score even if it wasn't called Zelda, but we all know because it is called Zelda it got a higher score than it should have got. This isn't different than other big games such as Halo 2. Do you think Halo 2 should have scored as high as it did, uhhh no it shouldn't have and the same with Zelda.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
choc_cake said:
/sarcasm on
/sarcasm off

I also watched gamespot play it for quite a while and just by playing it for an hour I could clearly see the problems.

I am sure it is a great game and it still would have been given a high score even if it wasn't called Zelda, but we all know because it is called Zelda it got a higher score than it should have got. This isn't different than other big games such as Halo 2. Do you think Halo 2 should have scored as high as it did, uhhh no it shouldn't have and the same with Zelda.

i would actually wager that a couple of the reviews were underscored simply because it's zelda and brings with it certain expectations.

Branduil

choc_cake said:
/sarcasm on
/sarcasm off

I'm glad you made this post.

Because now I know for sure you're a joke account.

AniHawk

choc_cake said:
/sarcasm on
/sarcasm off

Ooh, your powers of deduction are exceptional. I can't allow you to waste them here when there are so many crimes going unsolved at this very moment. Go, GO! For the good of the city!

choc_cake said:
/sarcasm on
/sarcasm off

You smell like cabbage.

Twilight Princess and Halo 2 are AAA games. You just have horrible taste.

Adagio

choc_cake said:
/sarcasm on
/sarcasm off

So what score(s) do you not agree with? And what score would you have liked it to receive?

TheWolf

Banned
having manual shield and camera control back will be nice. sometimes the Wii controls can suck, aside from the pointing. like when you want to do a shield bump and Link keeps doing a spin attack...

AniHawk

TheWolf said:
having manual shield and camera control back will be nice. sometimes the Wii controls can suck, aside from the pointing. like when you want to do a shield bump and Link keeps doing a spin attack...

Pretty sure I read that there aren't any manual shield controls in the GC version either. Whenever you pull up L-targetting, that's when his shield goes up.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i haven't had that problem the shield once, but my ability to distinguish between the motions required for a shield bash and the motions required for a spin attack are unparalleled. they've been honed to razor sharpness.

beethoven played music, da vinci painted masterpieces--i shield bash and spin attack with god-given precision.

TheWolf

Banned
AniHawk said:
Pretty sure I read that there aren't any manual shield controls in the GC version either. Whenever you pull up L-targetting, that's when his shield goes up.

hmm, so can R be used as another item button?

i'll always remember the first trailer where Link is crouched blocking arrows. :'(

AniHawk

TheWolf said:
hmm, so can R be used as another item button?

i'll always remember the first trailer where Link is crouched blocking arrows. :'(

We both know how much shit's been cut since that first revelation. No scene in the rain. No army emerging over the hill during the sunset.

TheWolf

Banned
so how would the shield bump work? wasn't it b+R at e3 2005. with automatically blocking b would still be the sword swing.

it does rain, btw...

LCGeek

formerly sane
Wait a minute why we are comparing the score Halo2 got to what Zelda:TP did? Well let me stop this. Halo2, the series in general is vastly overrated, while zelda TP from most accounts far exceeds what OOT did plot wise , gameplay, and scope of the game.

Nutter

Hatorade said:
Wait a minute why we are comparing the score Halo2 got to what Zelda:TP did? Well let me stop this. Halo2, the series in general is vastly overrated, while zelda TP from most accounts far exceeds what OOT did plot wise , gameplay, and scope of the game.

Was that really necessary?
Something overrated or underrated to you might not be the same for others.. in which halo's case, its millions of people.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Nutter said:
Was that really necessary?
Something overrated or underrated might not be the same for others.. in which halo's case its millions of people.

Was bringing a game like Halo into the discussion necessary? Regardless of need to bring it up or not does it really matter like you said millions of people like it. Then again millions of people liked matrix and mortal kombat games doesn't negate the fact they are crap when compared to other games in their genre.

Top Bottom