• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Gazunta

Clipper said:
Man, I used to love Boris. Good to see some other guys reminiscing. I was also in the audience for the Saturday morning Agro show thing one week which was pretty awesome. One of the few times I've been on TV (in one of the screaming kid back-from-ads shots).
OMG ME TOO. I totally turned up at school the next day expecting to be famous because I was on TV being an idiot in the audience. Nobody cared :(

Then ten years later I was on Rage presenting some song for five seconds tops and people recognised me at the Big Day Out the next day. WTF :/

Anne-Marie was tops.

Agro and Anne-Marie out takes!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpt2FN4OvxU&feature=related

Deeku

BanShunsaku said:
I once had a drawing I did of Agro shown on cartoon connection. From memory I think I won a prize pack of some sort. I was king of the quadrangle that week.
I won a Monster in my Pocket mountain set!

Gazunta

Shaneus said:
Gaz, what was the game? Was Agro the first one or the one the sprites were swapped to
1285684110-00.jpg

This was the first one I think, the sprites were swapped out for Agro. I think there was another version for Europe with some other licensed character...I'll have a look.

Edit: Ah, that's right. The other version was:

were_back_11_box_front.jpg

Now that i think about it, I think We're Back was the US release, and Baby T-Rex was the European one.

At any rate, Radical Rex was the 16-bit follow-up for SNES and MegaDrive (Mega CD?)

BREAKING NEWS: I finally got my copy of Skyrim. I will never play it.

Clipper

I got some sort of pencil case thing in a raffle during one of the ad breaks, but I never sent anything in.

I think my favourite regular host was Gibbo.

Oh, and we got our first VCR the year Agro did his Christmas Special. I watched the tape we made of that so many times I'm surprised it didn't disintegrate.

Shaneus

BanShunsaku said:
I once had a drawing I did of Agro shown on cartoon connection. From memory I think I won a prize pack of some sort. I was king of the quadrangle that week.
Bullshit. You only earn that right after staying at the top square in downball for the whole of lunchime. Not even an appearance on ACC would get you that.

Shaneus said:
Bullshit. You only earn that right after staying at the top square in downball for the whole of lunchime. Not even an appearance on ACC would get you that.
I also kicked arse at handball, so yes that probably helped as well.

Once I got to Ace I was untouchable

Gazunta

Did anyone else play the Agro wack-a-mole arcade game? I abused the crap out of that thing, and the ticket dispenser was all too happy to keep giving me tickets if I held onto the one ticket you won and kept pulling.

Deeku

Whoa there was Agro wack a mole? I only ever played the one with crocodiles at Timezone.

BanShunsaku said:

You guys had Ace? We only rocked a King Queen Jack Dunce system.

commanderdeek said:
Whoa there was Agro wack a mole? I only ever played the one with crocodiles at Timezone.

You guys had Ace? We only rocked a King Queen Jack Dunce system.

Ours depended on how many people we had playing.

Deeku

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Did you ever put spin on your serves? It was risky, but the rewards were worth it when you got on a roll.
Screw spin, it's all about the power hit! Also, cheap nudges where you get it to bounce in a middle corner.

Did you ever put spin on your serves? It was risky, but the rewards were worth it when you got on a roll.
We had a brick wall on the end, so I rocked a mean rebound serve. Managed to get a fair bit of spin on it that way.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Spins, power balls and low power balls were my ways of dominating in that sport. I used to be a sprinter as well, I got told in year 10 that my record at my primary school still stood, Maybe it continues today. I also own the aggro album on casette, Not too sure if i threw it out or put it in storage, I'm going with the former.

Then high school happened and I become fat and lazy.

Good times.

Danoss

commanderdeek said:
Oh wait you guys played wall handball? The Ace makes sense then. We only played the 4 square handball.
I played both, but 4 square was by far superior.

One of my favourite moves (besides slogging it so hard, no one could return it) was to change the direction and pace of the ball. I'd have the ball in the flat palm of my hand, spin my arm around and drop it off, low, in the corner of some guys square. I never "grabbed" it, but I was frequently called out for grabbing.

^^^

That's grabbing, you cheating cheater >:-|

Low power shots were only good if you were playing against someone who didn't know how to handle them and low power that business right back at you.

Danoss

That's grabbing, you cheating cheater >:-|
I never grabbed it and it was as quick as could be. It's just jealousy 'cause many people couldn't do it.

Low power shots were only good if you were playing against someone who didn't know how to handle them and low power that business right back at you.
They were always good and fun. I did enjoy the rallies with someone who could return them well. Getting someone who couldn't return them or was out of position to do so, was fantastic. The walk of shame to the end of the line was quite great to watch.

Deeku

I only did the grabbing thing to kids I didn't like. Felt good to get them out cheaply.

For kids I liked and respected, low power shot duel!

Danoss

commanderdeek said:
I only did the grabbing thing to kids I didn't like. Felt good to get them out cheaply.

For kids I liked and respected, low power shot duel!
This. Totally. But no grabbing!

Danoss said:
I never grabbed it and it was as quick as could be. It's just jealousy 'cause many people couldn't do it.
If you were slow enough that people accused you of grabbing, you were grabbing
you grabber
Danoss said:
They were always good and fun. I did enjoy the rallies with someone who could return them well. Getting someone who couldn't return them or was out of position to do so, was fantastic. The walk of shame to the end of the line was quite great to watch.
Yep. Had this one epic rally where this guy who thought he was hot stuff thought it'd be funny to low power at me. I kept that going for like ten minutes before changing direction and lobbing it neatly into his other corner.

Danoss

If you were slow enough that people accused you of grabbing, you were grabbing
you grabber
Nah, it was the change of direction people didn't like. They thought it couldn't be done without grabbing. It totally can. Go outside, grab a tennis ball and try it.

Yep. Had this one epic rally where this guy who thought he was hot stuff thought it'd be funny to low power at me. I kept that going for like ten minutes before changing direction and lobbing it neatly into his other corner.
I'd laugh sometimes when a return of a low power shot or a random attempt at one, would result in it hitting the persons wrist and launching the ball off into the distance. I recall a ball getting lodged in a tree once as a result of this.

Deeku

BanShunsaku said:
Low power shots were awesome, but I lost count of the number of times I totally fucked my hand up on the concrete!
Yeah, but then some toy company started selling those red handball paddles that you strap to your hand. That's when handball was dead to me.

And then Magic cards took over.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Choc said:
are you sure?

GAME and EB are saying its a break

Two of my friends are EB Managers, there was no 'DO NOT SELL' on it or street date. They could have sold it when they wanted to.

Danoss

While the topic of handball is still sort of around.

OtTc9.jpg

The rage after someone was a victim of this shot was hilarious.

Danoss said:
While the topic of handball is still sort of around.

http://i.imgur.com/OtTc9.jpg[IMG]

The rage after someone was a victim of this shot was hilarious.[/QUOTE]

On a high bouncing shot across your square it was always fun to take fake swings at it to put someone off, their desperate attempt to chase it was always funny.

Salacious Crumb

I fucking love downball, we only had six square courts at my school, getting a super fast low ball into the far opposite corner is one of my greatest sporting achievements.

midonnay

^^^^^^

in my primary/high school in perth WA

Downball = medium sized squishy rubber ball in four squares or against a wall

handball = four squares with a tennis ball

CTRL + F "between legs"

I am disappoint ausgaf :/

Shaneus

BanShunsaku said:

Handball? What the fuck are you on about? Way to derail.

Salacious Crumb said:
I fucking love downball, we only had six square courts at my school, getting a super fast low ball into the far opposite corner is one of my greatest sporting achievements.

midonnay said:
handball?

meh, Downball is where its at

squishy bouncy ball ftw :)
Glad these guys know where it's at. Handball is distinctly different to downball, in that it's far fucking better and only lower-class people play handball.

And Choc, it was "brandy", not brandings. Unless it's some stupid northerner thing, in which case you can all keep your brandings and handballs and schooners and middys. Fucking weirdos.

Edit: Downball was at least 4 squares (or 2x4 like at the back of my first school) separated by lines (hit them and it's a "liners") and played with a tenno. No weird rubber ball crap. You've all lost your minds.

PS. Thanks for that info, Gaz. I also remember playing that Agro prize game. A bowling alley in Geelong had one of those up until around 5-6 years ago, I shit you not. I think they also had a Super Sprint and Hard Drivin' arcade machine during the same period.

Gazunta

I fucking love AusGAF.

I used to throw money - five and ten cent pieces - at Ace whenever I was in Jack. It always distracted them enough to let me beat them silly.

Handball was fun but the best game at school was red-ass. (not as suss as it sounds)
I'm guessing it's not a widespread game though.

Top Bottom